• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 11, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.5

1. Jul 25, 2013
    One of the best cast of supporting characters I've ever seen. Similar to shows like Thrones and House of Cards, there really isn't an all good or an all bad character which helps make them compelling. Great mix of comedy and drama and hopefully a bright future for many new actresses in this series.
  2. Oct 20, 2013
    I love, love, love this show!
    I'm always very cautious with Netflix Originals but this show deserves to be aired on TV because it's that good!

It mixes drama and comedy very well, there's not one bad actor, each episode has been brilliant and I hope they keep this up in the future, because if they do this show may be around for a long time!
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    I don't write many reviews for this site, but I just wanted to add my two cents: this show is pretty spectacular. I would recommend it to anyone that likes any or all of Weeds, Dexter, Damages, or Breaking Bad due to the show's mix of dark humor and drama. It sheds light on some issues you don't see commonly covered, and the acting among the entire cast is incredible.... which is a very rare thing to find! Expand
  4. Jul 14, 2013
    GUTSY, in a realm of next generation of Drama escalation. Taylor Schilling quantifies her emotions in such a unique atmosphere as Federal Prison. That I got the feeling of loss, betrayal and epic powerful emotions, but on the same note soft laughs and humor to fill the gaps between downtime's. Jason Biggs brought me to even tears at his volumes of hardships to Taylor. That far surpass his earlier work in anyway. The cast was magnificent and I could number them off. So I will, Kate Mulgrew really brings the sense of nourishment to others as well as the hate for betrayers. Michelle Hurst, with her dark and mirrored past, but holds her spite on the ones who don't piss her off. What an amazing cast, thank you Netflix!!! Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2014
    Amazing show, It is funny and can also be serious and emotional. The characters are very interesting and make you want to learn more about them, Waaattcchh itttt.
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    Holy eff. This show is the Characters, writing, story lines, back stories, everything thing is magic and who doesn't like watching a bit of magic? I heard the actually book is crap, and not at all this entertaining, but thankfully Jenji knows all about inventing a bit of fiction. I was watching this with the bf (boyfriend, not best friend) and he said, quote, "I kinda wanna go to women's prison." And truth be told, now you, me and all who want can go to women's prison with "Orange is the New Black." Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    Great writing, amazing cast, intricate and compelling storytelling, Netflix has brought us one of the better shows of the year. Definitely can't wait to see what the next season dishes out.
  8. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I must say that this show is great! Each episode is a bit different from the previous one in that you get to know each character's history and their current situation in the prison. I loved the big black girl who was released after multiple attempts at parole. She was so funny and was definitely my favorite character. But, each lady has her own personality and brings something to the show that makes it all the more enjoyable to watch. Netflix is really doing great with their exclusive shows and this is one of the top this year! Expand
  9. Jul 11, 2013
    Great! its a heartwarming, funny, and well mad show! The one thing I don't like is how they make prison look not as bad than it looks. Other than that, its a great show!
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    Funny, tense, fresh, fast-paced and mesmerizing the episodes can surprise you over and over, even when they are lacking. The season finale opens a sea of possibilities for improvement.
  11. Sep 20, 2014
    Orange is the new black is outstanding. It's incredibly original and quirky that you can't help but to like it. I watched the first episode and was hesitant, but I kept on and soon realised that I was addicted! Awesome show.
  12. Aug 21, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable prison series that breaks the usual character archetypes through a clever use of back story, and believable story-telling. For a series that's billed as a comedy, expect a lot more than just cheap laughs with great acting and a superb script. Netflix do it again, superb.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    Intelligent, provocative and at times downright hilarious. The cast is stellar and at the top of their game. The writing is nearly flawless and more importantly, I find, incredibly original. But what makes this fast-paced comedy-drama a cut above the rest its huge heart.
  14. Jul 15, 2013
    Damn!! To begin with I was not sure this was for me, even before it was released I didn't get the trailer (I don't know why.) But I gave it a shot. One after another I watched every episode, i was completely addicted it took me by surprise how dark it actually got, that by the end I was wanting more.
    Cannot wait for season 2. Loved it. Go watch!!
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    I forgot how good Jenji Kohan can be making television shows. Weeds was incredible for the first 3 seasons. After that it was absolute garbage. This show is already better than Weeds and I've only watched 6 episodes so far. This show has the potential to be one of the most important television shows of our generation. If I had to point out this shows biggest strength it would be the perfect acting, especially by Taylor Schilling. Other than Hemlock Grove, Netflix is batting a thousand with it's exclusive shows. Expand
  16. Jul 13, 2013
    It's probably the best show Netflix has ever produced. It's funny and cover's a wide range of characters and story element's. The main character is interesting and the way we go into different inmates backgrounds is great. All in all it's a fantastic show. Highly recommend. Warning though this is as much a drama as it is a comedy. It's quite interesting.
  17. Jul 14, 2013
    Insane! I watched the whole first season in 2 days. It's crazy good. The plot, the characters, everything. Pretty much perfect. It's funny but at the same time it is dead serious. It's the perfect blend of all the aspects that make up a great TV show. I cannot think of one way to improve this show. It's amazing, you have to watch it no matter what you like.
  18. Jul 11, 2013
    I have to admit, I didn't know quite what to expect from Netflix as a show producer, but if "Orange is the New Black" is representative of the caliber of the shows they're investing in, I'm really impressed! Both the writing and the casting are excellent, and the show manages to be really funny while also telling meaningful stories about a refreshingly diverse range of engaging and three-dimensional characters My friend and I decided to check out just the first episode, but ended up watching five in a row because we were so caught up in the different storylines. It's already one of my favorite new shows, and I'm thrilled that Netflix has already ordered a second season it's nice to know that they recognize a good thing when they see it!

Side note: I would respectfully disagree with the reviewer who said the show made prison look not as bad as it really is, because the prison in the show is a medium security prison that does not house the most violent inmates. As such, it is actually a more realistic portrayal of life a typical women's prison than what we usually see on TV, though some of the characters may be unusually quirky!
  19. Jul 20, 2013
    OSTNB is the must see show of 2013. Netflix hit a home run with it. It's a lot better than the newer Arrested Development.

You won't be disappointed. Anyone who rates it lows, just dislikes it on a personal level because the show has a lot going on and dosent ever seem to get boring.

One small flaw is the flashbacks. They do them for almost all the main characters, its warranted
    and needed but I dont always feel interested when they are happening. Expand
  20. Jul 14, 2013
    This show proves it can be serious and hilarious all at one time. An unpredictable journey through a women's prison that will give you characters that you love to hate or characters you hate to love.
  21. Jul 14, 2013
    I watched the entire 13 episodes in 2 days. it was addicting. When I wasn't watching it, I was thinking about it. I hope to get to see it ongoing I can't wait to find out what happens next!
  22. Jul 16, 2013
    I was curious about this show due to Jenji Kohan's involvement but didn't have high expectations after Netfilx's last offering, Hemlock Grove. I immediately became hooked on this great new series. It somehow manages to be funny, outrageous, audacious, provocative, poignant, insightful, and frightening all in one episode. The back story of each character and the way the characters interact is so engaging and fun to watch. The acting is superb and the show's writing is extremely sharp. I love the Netflix format which allowed me to watch the entire season in four days. However I almost wish they would release individual or perhaps pairs of episodes at intervals to keep binge watchers like myself from using up a good thing too soon. Now I'm left to wait for season two. I hope it's not a long wait!! Expand
  23. Jul 20, 2013
    At first, I was incredibly unsure about even the idea of the show. I watched the first episode, and still couldn't decide if I liked it. So, I gave it one more shot and fell in love! This show is great. I've actually spent the entire day watching it. I can't wait for season 2!
  24. Jul 22, 2013
    Definitely hooks you in once you start watching it, love the way it keeps moving in multiple directions just when you think its all said and done it moves again!! excellent viewing, great casting.
  25. Jul 22, 2013
    Ótima série, o padrão de produção das séries próprias da Netflix está sendo tão bom, ou até melhor, que o da HBO, como sempre sendo comparada! Vale a pena manter assinatura.
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    Orange is the New Black is one of the best things to have been broadcast, ever. If you don't watch this show, you're missing out on sheer brilliance. With the right balance of drama & comedy they broach real issues spanning from racism, to politics, to homophobia without boring or lecturing the viewers, and they have a stellar cast & a stellar crew to bring it to us & keep us on the edge of our seats right till the last second.

TL;DR: WATCH THIS SHOW.
  27. Jul 26, 2013
    I am truly puzzled by the critics of this excellent show. I am a forensic psychologist who has been in plenty of prisons, including some women's prisons, and this show is the real deal. Sure, it probably condenses and dramaticizes events that more realistically occur over a period of years, but they DO occur, and the inmates are pretty realistic (for a women's prison...in my experience, the intelligence level is lower in men's prisons). The writing and acting are superb. Some professional critics are calling this the "new Mad Men" and I concur. I look forward to Season 2; it it keeps up with Season 1, the we are in for some phenomenal video-watching. Kudos to Netflix: two great shows (House of Cards being the other) in a year!! Expand
  28. Jul 26, 2013
    Im from México and i only have a question, when start the second season. I totally loved this original series. Good work, i really need the second season now!!!!!! Really very good Job...!!!!:)
  29. Jul 27, 2013
    This series is just too good! Character driven, it has a interesting storyline, good sense of humor, good actors, good cinematography. It's all there. Very entertaining!
  30. Jul 27, 2013
    This was a great first season. Loved the writing, characters, and I was so engrossed in the series that I binged watched the final 5 episodes. Looking forward to season 2.
  31. Jul 30, 2013
    When I first saw this show I had no idea what I was watching, but I was hooked. It's funny, edgy and thought provoking. What made this show even better to me was learning that it was based on the very real experiences of the writer/author Piper Kerman's one year in prison.

At a time in my life when I was unsure of what career move I was going to make this show has inspired me to work in
    the female correctional facility in my country, something I never believed would've been possible with just my undergrad degree. Expand
  32. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One word: AMAZING!!
    Funny, hilirious, awesome this Show I loved it and can´t wait of season 2! A great show, so don´t stop production, then I infected all my friends with it and allmost all loved too
  33. Aug 7, 2013
    Congrats Netflix! Best show of the summer. Great writing, amazing performances, and no agenda except to show that folks in prison are mostly unbalanced and/or good people who did dumb stuff. Neither group should be in prison. Its time to empty prisons of non-violent offenders and lower taxes.
  34. Aug 11, 2013
    Impressive program. It started out a bit light, seeming like a light and fluffy version of prison dramas. But the characterizations were excellent, and the stories were well told. However, the season finale was quite surprising. I'm looking forward to season 2.
    Aug 15, 2013
    Watched the whole series in 1 weekend. Its outstanding. It humanizes prisoners and is hilarious (and totally unrealistic). At the same time you're watching a rich sweet hispter chick slowly lose everything and become hardened.
  36. Feb 4, 2014
    I was scared to develop a lot of my time watching this series but in the end, it was a great time spending with Piper, Alex, Red, and all the other memorable characters developed throughout this well-thought out drama. This isn't just a normal drama but has every single thing you would want in a hit TV-show premise. It's story, which doesn't dissappoint in it's twist and turns that always leaves you in shock after each episode. Next, it's comedy, which was surprisingly not dull at any moment and always had me laughing. Finally, its romantic part. There were many parts of these romantic parts that always had me loving each bit of it suprisingly. Season 1 of Orange is the New Black was an original piece of entertainment that will be remembered for years to come. Expand
  37. Aug 30, 2013
    Went into this show apprehensively, didn't seem like something I would enjoy, but friends said to go for it. I'm not sure I've been more pleasantly surprised about a show before. It picks up quickly, all the characters are interesting and there's hardly a dull moment. It's funny, it's gripping, and so what if it isn't completely true-to-life... it's a television show, not a documentary, though it is based off a real person's story and their book of the same name. The only con is in the way Netflix releases their shows, I binge-watched and now I'm going through withdrawals waiting for the next season. Expand
  38. Aug 29, 2013
    I did not expect much from the show but it turned out to be one Hilarious Show. Netflix hit the bulls eye with this one. I can't wait for the next season.
  39. SSV
    Sep 2, 2013
    In this series, allot of genres are being covered. There are allot of funny moments, moments of excitement, of sadness, moments of utter ridiculousness, and the occasional R Rated scenes, which personally I do not mind at all! These characteristics make this series an overall plus in my opinion and seeing all of the other reviews here I think most of you (us) agree.
  40. Sep 7, 2013
    The title does not serve the show right. The show is amazing, I've never been so addicted to a series. Alex and Piper, pure electric romance. All the stores are captivating. Funny, dark, and yet very real. I can't believe I have to wait for Season 2 and I hope it'll be just as good. This show makes me reflect on so many topics about the justice system, personal identity, homophobia, etc. All without you knowing it! You'll be on the ride and in complete disbelief that it's over. Bring on Season 2, please. Expand
  41. Sep 30, 2013
    I was quite surpirsed with the quality and caliber of 'Orange is the new Black' Jenji Kohan does a remarkable job and really connects with the viewer and takes you on an emotional journey with a good dose of humor. Great work Netflix!
  42. Oct 1, 2013
    It is much better than I expected. The actresses really get to their characters. The show is always surprising because they use all the story-lines not only the main one. It is exciting see what a female prison like that works, and is refreshing how they talk about lesbianism and human relationships. A must see Tv show. You wont regret it.
  43. Jul 2, 2014
    REVOLUTIONARY MAGNIFICENT AND ALL ROUND FREAKING AMAZING. 910 FOR ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK SEASON 1. GREAT WRITING AND GREAT CHARACTERS. PERFORMANCES ARE TOP NOTCH.
  44. May 26, 2014
    The freshest show out there. Listen this show is wildly original with great acting and writing. Orange is the new black brings humor and drama together so well it's almost scary. Of course this is not a kids show but OTITNB Is great watch the show you won't be sorry
  45. Nov 16, 2013
    I was not sure that the show was going to be good because the premise seemed too simple. But I checked it out anyway and, man!, I would've regretted it so bad had I never seen this show. The cast managed to make me feel all depressed, happy, and frustrated. A definite roller coaster road! And honestly, I never thought Jason Biggs could act like he does in Orange is the New Black. Kudos!
  46. Apr 8, 2014
    This show was the reason I joined Netflix. I have never been compelled to start an account with that site but after hearing a lot of rave reviews for this show, I decided to give it a shot. Now, not only am I hooked, I have become a die-hard fan in every aspect possible. The show embraces and showcases originality from start to finish. With a premise that has an all-female cast, most of them unknown, it gives a breath of fresh air to the usual staple we get on network TV these days. On top of that, this unknown cast is beyond talented. It is a remarkable show that I hope does not end up going down the route of lacklustre plots in future seasons and continue bringing to the table fantastic story lines that keep you on the binge-watching bandwagon for long. Also, kudos to them for bringing women in TV shows to the forefront. It may be set in a women's prison but it does not stop short of showing a variety of women from different backgrounds, skin colour and sexuality. Expand
  47. May 15, 2014
    I'm truly hooked on Orange Is The New Black one of the reasons I watch it because it has my favorite actress Kate Mulgrew in it as Red, this show is also highly entertaining and over the top, the stories are amazing and this show is completely original and addicting.

But OITNB is too sexual, is there any point to it? It doesn't add to the story or anything and rather pointless. Also I
    really hate Jason Biggs (Larry) both the actor and the character, bother are so annoying I cringe whenever he comes on, he's a terrible actor and has a baby face need I say more? He's definitely not acting material.

But otherwise I highly recommend OITNB.
  48. May 15, 2014
    Even if the plot is somewhat hard to believe, it's the acting that has me hooked. Taylor Schilling is pure gold in this role, and excellently weaves together aspects of a character that you both hate and love. Whether or not you're a fan of Jenji Kohan, the jokes are funny, the conflicts tense, and the show worth watching. At least give it a try.
  49. Aug 19, 2014
    I like it hadhidjisjdskdmskndskndksmdskcmskfmekdjskfnkenfekfnekhfekhfkefhkevjixjeifhekjdkemce kcendkenwjnwfdkwfn. Kfjelkfepfkpeifodfeoifoejfoejfoej
  50. Jun 4, 2014
    I have just finished watching series one, this program is fantastic and very addictive. It is not what I expected at all, it's very touching and I love how you slowly get introduced to the characters. It had my in tears at times and laughter at other times, it was truly an experience to watch. Can't wait to see series 2. Well done to the writers and the cast. Fantastic.
  51. Jun 4, 2014
    Never watch shows like this normally but totally hooked now can't wait for series 2. A lot to take in but one you know the characters you soon get into the show. We'll written and well acted!
  52. Jul 15, 2014
    I recently started watching this show and wow is it good! The show focuses on Piper Chapman as its main character but through its extensive use of short-segmented flashbacks, we learn the past lives of mos of the other convicts. This adds depth to the show and allows us to have a more detailed opinion on each character. The acting could be better however is acceptable enough to provide more than sufficient entertainment. I rate this highly for a Netflix produced show. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kristi Turnquist
    Jun 24, 2014
    Quibbles aside, watching this superb cast working together remains a pleasure, and it makes Season 2 of Orange Is the New Black an irresistible summer viewing choice.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jul 18, 2013
    Orange has graphic scenes that aren’t for kids. But they aren’t played for cheap gags, either, and that attitude serves the production well. With Schilling in top form, this Orange tastes fresh.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Wolfson
    Jul 16, 2013
    While it's not apparent that the show's personalities add up to anything more than themselves at first, they ultimately prove to be compelling studies of people trying to work through glaring mistakes and obvious limitations to fashion some sort of livable present.