• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 3, 2007
Season #: 1, 2
8.3

1. Nov 1, 2010
    This show is mind-numbingly boring. The concept is fantastic and the writers and narrator outright ruined a potentially brilliant idea. The narrator explains things as though speaking to a two year old and does so in excessive detail. The characters are two-dimensional and even within such restrictive bounds they're character and story-line don't match up. For example, a girl gets broughtThis show is mind-numbingly boring. The concept is fantastic and the writers and narrator outright ruined a potentially brilliant idea. The narrator explains things as though speaking to a two year old and does so in excessive detail. The characters are two-dimensional and even within such restrictive bounds they're character and story-line don't match up. For example, a girl gets brought back from the dead. She's pushy, 'in-you-face' annoying and does whatever she wants, whenever she wants, irrespective of others. Her background story is as a stay at home 'nurse-maid' to her two Aunts, doing what she was told and being a polite little 'good-girl'. Her only transition was leaving home to get a job where she did what she was told and died in the process. Huh? The writers must have been asleep. The only way one could possibly know the actors are good is if they've seen them in something else because in Pushing Daisies they have precious little to work with, including lines. For the most part the narrator stole them.

How this show managed to get past the pilot episode is a miracle that may only be explained by the good reputation of 'Dead Like Me'. My advice, give this one a miss.
  2. CygnetB.
    Oct 3, 2007
    This show was just stupid. The show was dry, the story dumb. The actors, however, were great. I love the collection of great actors, but when they were "doing their craft" I wondered who wrote this drivel... If you think it's gonna get better, you will probably be surprised when the show itself is "pushing daisies" CYG- Neilsen Rater.
  3. GordonT.
    Oct 19, 2007
    This show makes an effort to be original and it is up to a point. You almost have to be brain dead to follow these stories Its a little better than Ugly Betty.
  4. TimH.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This show would be great but for the absolutely dreadful soundtrack and voice over. It makes the show unwatchable! After seeing the reviews I was looking forward to this one but it's simply dreadful!
  5. PaulW
    Aug 25, 2008
    Dreadfully dull show with lame attempts at humor which' general flamboyance seemed to be directly ripped off of the movie Amelie. The same blue light cinematography and the same annoying narration, the sets were kindly borrowed too. The score is a rip off of the more familliar Tim Burton films and the entire premise pinched from the already done to death mockeries such as the tv Dreadfully dull show with lame attempts at humor which' general flamboyance seemed to be directly ripped off of the movie Amelie. The same blue light cinematography and the same annoying narration, the sets were kindly borrowed too. The score is a rip off of the more familliar Tim Burton films and the entire premise pinched from the already done to death mockeries such as the tv series Heroes. (We don't need another hero). I barely made it through the pilot. Expand
  6. Gene
    Oct 15, 2007
    Watched it once, didn't like it. Gave it a second chance, had to turn it off after the first half.
    Oct 3, 2007
    Cutesy and contrived and heavy as lead. Not my cup of tea.
  8. BobJ.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Overrated. The pretty picture stunt will get old after a few episodes. Premise is stupid. Dialogue was boring. I won't be watching this anymore. This new TV season is pretty bad so far.
  9. JeddS.
    Oct 5, 2007
    I is just to bizzarre for itsa own good. a lot of the jokes do not work and to be frank, they seem like they were written by 17 year olds who watch a lot of television. Every joke looks like it was taken from another show over the last 50 years.
  10. Len
    Oct 6, 2007
    Truly horrible. Pretentious, witless dialogue and a depressing story.A real downer and subtle as an anvil.
  11. Sharon
    Oct 7, 2007
    A really dumb show masquerading as a really smart show.
  12. TheVegan
    Oct 15, 2007
    I saw the first 2 episodes and I just didn't enjoy it that much. First of all they stole the "coming back to life for one minute" premise from an episode of Torchwood. But that aside I just didn't find either of the first 2 episodes that compelling.
  13. JF
    Oct 19, 2007
    Maybe it's just me, but this show is like Tim Burton trying to do comedy. It isn't nearly as cute as it things it is and the whole AIDS-metaphor (they're in love but they can't touch, unless they're in full body condoms) seems really out of date. The narration is annoying beyond belief and everything seems to be a great idea in search of a show. It's already boring.
  14. EvelynD
    Mar 29, 2008
    Why?? This is a epic fail. of epic porporshuns. Waaay to british (not that theres anything wrong the brits) and corny. This belongs in the PBS Kids line up.
  15. Nov 29, 2012
    Are people kidding? This show was great - BEAUTIFUL to look at, lovely and whimsical, clever, fresh, and heartwarming. A great cast and unique plot really rounded it out - I guess it just wasn't for everyone. If you are into something a little different, as well as some heart and mystery, this was a great place to look!
  16. G.Fresh
    Oct 25, 2007
    Different is not always better, and the proof is Pushing Daisies. Obviously there are a lot of talented people working on this show, save for the writers who deliver mind numbingly boring stories. If the show is going to get better, try writing storylines that are challenging for those over three years old.
  17. harv
    Oct 8, 2007
    Exactly 5 minutes 2 seconds and 3 milliseconds into the show I found myself hating the show violently. I also violently hated it. (This is the type of writing which passes for wit on the show).
  18. TK
    Oct 11, 2007
    I can't believe this is getting such high marks. It's awful. What an idiotic premise. I watched the first 30 minutes and had to change the channel. Silly, pretentious and schmaltzy...
  19. LyndaIvey
    Oct 10, 2007
    Big fat 0. Tries way too hard.
  20. Mike.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Apparently it's the thing now for the narrator to be excessively annoying. The narrator feels the need to introduce every single character with their age in years, months, days, and hours. This is nothing short of painfully annoying. Meanwhile the music is nearly a half hour of non-ceasing flowery strings, which is enough to give me a headache. This show is much better in concept Apparently it's the thing now for the narrator to be excessively annoying. The narrator feels the need to introduce every single character with their age in years, months, days, and hours. This is nothing short of painfully annoying. Meanwhile the music is nearly a half hour of non-ceasing flowery strings, which is enough to give me a headache. This show is much better in concept than it is in post-production execution. Expand
  21. EnyaB
    Jul 31, 2009
    When I saw that this show was written by the same person as "Dead Like Me" I thought it had great potential. I've watched the first season and one episode of the second season (all mostly against my will, although I hope for improvement wish each episode) and there's nothing that attaches me to this show. The characters are shallow, although the acting is superb and the colors When I saw that this show was written by the same person as "Dead Like Me" I thought it had great potential. I've watched the first season and one episode of the second season (all mostly against my will, although I hope for improvement wish each episode) and there's nothing that attaches me to this show. The characters are shallow, although the acting is superb and the colors are entertaining. The narration is super, super annoying... the whole point of film and TV is for us to see the story acted out, not be told. Most of the time I could get what was going on without the narrator having to briskly gab it to me. I saw so much potential in this show that was ruined by the narration.. we were told things that could have been acted out and made the show that much better (for example, when Chuck was told by Ned that he killed her father.. except that never happened; the narrator told us it happened and then we see Ned out searching for a missing Chuck). There was far too much silliness and not enough seriousness mixed into the fray. The storyline and plot were weak and I found myself guessing the end of nearly every episode, or losing interest altogether, about halfway through the show. Expand
  22. BrentR
    Oct 7, 2007
    Terrific, best new show of the year. I loved the look and style. The actors are great. I hope this one lasts. Brilliant.
  23. Jasmine
    Nov 19, 2007
    Love it! The most refreshing TV show on right now.
  24. SallyV.
    Oct 17, 2007
    I love this show!
  25. NasisA.
    Oct 18, 2007
    Great show. Romantic and funny, and taking the time to intoduce the characters and make them lovable or relateable. Love the Amelie and Corpse Bride/Big Fish similarities.
  26. PeteS.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Okay, but just does not do it for me. Premise is so unbelievable. I prefer Caveman!!!
  27. am
    Oct 24, 2007
    Amazing show that manages to blend contradictory genres in a touching, visually brilliant way. The writing, directing, and acting are all fantastic. Best show to have graced the small-screen in a long time.
  28. Ann
    Yecccch.
  29. ChaseK.
    Oct 3, 2007
    Absolutely refreshing pilot. If you are sick of movies about rich people and cookie-cutter ratings grabbers which offer nothing new at all, please watch Pushing Daisies. It's Tim Burton-esque style and substance is a great one hour escape. A simply amazing first episode.
  30. AC
    Oct 4, 2007
    The best pilot since "Lost" and "Veronica Mars" aried back in 04. Everything was brilliant in this show, hopefully future episodes can just as good or even better than the pilot.

It's a whimsical, romantically inventive and darkly funny pop-up hour about a man (Lee Pace) whose touch can bring the dead back to life (but also, yikes, vice versa).
  2. The hour balances its caper-cartoon and ghoulish sensibilities with a crisp pace and well-cast leads.
  3. As charming as all that is amid the macabre, Pushing Daisies is a show that only a grown-up can fully enjoy.