Rake (2014) : Season 1

• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 23, 2014
6.9

1. Jan 24, 2014
    Note: I have not seen the original Australian version.

The first episode of Rake is kind of an odd way to introduce us to the series. This isn't the true pilot episode, as FOX says Rake will become a more dramatic and less comedic in the future. But what's here is a promising start that gives us a decent introduction to the cast. Greg Kinnear plays Keegan Deane, an attorney whose
    Note: I have not seen the original Australian version.

Greg Kinnear plays Keegan Deane, an attorney whose life is currently a terrible mess. With already a ton of stuff on his plate, his client, who was supposed to just plead guilty, gives him more trouble than he anticipated. Peter Stormare guest stars and does a great job as said client.

The first couple of minutes of Serial Killer move along at a fast pace and feels quite cluttered as a result. The show begins to be more cohesive down the stretch, and was overall a solid hour of television. The humour usually hits the mark too, and even though this is planed to be a drama, I can't see the comedy being completely ditched. There wasn't a ton of drama or tension to speak of here; it was a very light episode for the most part. However, I do see the potential for some good drama later on.
  2. Jan 24, 2014
    The show has a potential to become a good and strong tv series. It's like watching M.D House becoming a lawyer while still being and sociopath and a real scumbag.
  3. Jan 24, 2014
    Not as good as the original from Australia but still a 7 compared to most of what broadcast TV has to offer. Unfortunately because it is on broadcast TV it has been sanitized a bit which makes this Keegan less edgy than the Cleaver Green portrayed by Richard Roxburgh from down under. The pilot shows promise and I found the introduction of characters well done.. I think if Kinnear canNot as good as the original from Australia but still a 7 compared to most of what broadcast TV has to offer. Unfortunately because it is on broadcast TV it has been sanitized a bit which makes this Keegan less edgy than the Cleaver Green portrayed by Richard Roxburgh from down under. The pilot shows promise and I found the introduction of characters well done.. I think if Kinnear can grow into this role and become more difficult to love it could be as successful as the original Rake. Expand
  4. Jan 25, 2014
    The original Australian version, going into it's 3rd season is really the >only< version of this series.

During the Americanization process, the soul of the show was lost in translation. Ideally, FOX would've just bought the rights to the original version and aired it in the states.

Sorry US audiences, you get the homogenized copy :-(
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    I found the main character unappealing and the plot boring. It's neither a funny comedy nor an interesting lawyer show. It's a bad version of The Defenders that starred Jim Belushi and Jerry O'Connell. As soon as I finished the first episode, I removed the show from the list of recurring recordings on my DVR.
  6. Jan 24, 2014
    The story line seems kind of flat so far, I can't be overly excited either way just yet. Kinnear out acts every one by about a million miles. The story line needs to pick a direction, are we watching someone fall apart because of his bad habits, or are we watching the champion lawyer despite his flaws...get somewhere so we can keep watching.
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    The main character is wholly unlikable and the devices used to ensure he stays forever in gambling debt are frustrating to no end. His collectors are forever disappearing after one episode and every time Keegan gets some money, he loses it in preposterous manners which have nothing to do with his gambling addiction (for example, he puts off delivering a $15k fish for three days for noThe main character is wholly unlikable and the devices used to ensure he stays forever in gambling debt are frustrating to no end. His collectors are forever disappearing after one episode and every time Keegan gets some money, he loses it in preposterous manners which have nothing to do with his gambling addiction (for example, he puts off delivering a $15k fish for three days for no good reason, allowing it to rot or trying to impress his ex-wife at a private school's fundraiser or paying for a prostitute). The only enjoyable part of this show are the cases, and even those are played more for humor than to exhibit any form of brilliance on Keegan's part. This show is nothing like House, save for a string of ill-advised relationships. Expand
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    A middling legal dramedy that spends too little time in the courtroom and too much time focusing on awkward, awful people doing awkward, awful things to, for, or with each other. The American Rake is yet another in a long line of shows that confuses blatant, offensive insensitivity and a lack of common sense for comedy. Nearly every character on the show is some combination of selfish,A middling legal dramedy that spends too little time in the courtroom and too much time focusing on awkward, awful people doing awkward, awful things to, for, or with each other. The American Rake is yet another in a long line of shows that confuses blatant, offensive insensitivity and a lack of common sense for comedy. Nearly every character on the show is some combination of selfish, inept, insensitive, or insecure, and nothing else. The main character is allowed to show some redeeming qualities, but it's almost invariably followed by him making some decision that is either dictator levels of selfish or moronic to the point of endangering his own health, both of which always wind up blowing up in his face. Incredibly frustrating, in other words. Though there are some storylines that have a degree of interest to them, the show is dragged down too strongly by the aforementioned problems. This is another one of those hour-long shows I can watch in 15 minutes: after I fast forward through all the awkward bits, painfully stupid bits, and frustratingly selfish bits, there's maybe 15 minutes of show left. Expand
  9. Mar 25, 2014
    so far so good I love it..................................................................................................................................................................................................
  10. May 3, 2014
    This show is amazing - not surprised that the geniuses running Fox have not opted to continue it. The same bunch of idiots that cancelled Firefly - need I say more..... Well yes, one more thing. Did I see a post by some dumb-ass that actually refereed to a show starring James Belushi and Jerry O'connell? Really? Kangaroo Jack? No wonder Fox News is so popular.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    Outside the courtroom is where the drama finds its feet.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 20, 2014
    [Greg Kinnear's] charming enough and funny enough to make it work. If only the writing can rise to his abilities.
  3. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    The pilot is carried on Kinnear's rascally charm and is heavy on quirk.