- Starring: Paul F. Tompkins, Bill Maher
- Summary: Real Time with Bill Maher is an HBO panel talk show series hosted by comedian and Bill Maher. Episodes generally feature an opening political sketch, a monologue, a panel of three celebrities and/or politicians, a guest or two live or via satellite, and a New Rules segment.
- Genre(s): Comedy, Talk & Interview, News
- Show Type: In Season
- Season 1 premiere date: Feb 21, 2003
- Episode Length: 60
- Air Time: 10:00 PM
- More Details and Credits »
Sep 29, 2014But as for the overall approach, it's hard to nick any latenighter that actually tries to say something and doesn't have a sidekick or a bandleader. From the Twin Tower reconstruction efforts to duct tape mania to his ceremonial kick in the ass after ABC dumped him, Maher alone is ready to take on the universe, and that's a gutsier fight than most.
This effort should be called "Hollywood Babble On." [14 Mar 2003, p.37]
Even for many liberals there is something inherently silly about actors' staking out a high moral ground from Bel Air mansions and Aspen-bound private jets. [14 Mar 2003, p.E1]
There's also more of Maher in the new show, and it's no big surprise that more Maher is less. He's a jerk of the old school, full of unexamined anxiety and arrogance, with a habit of using sexual stereotypes from half a century ago both to put down and to compliment people. [17 Mar 2003, p.152]
Why would HBO, cable's most innovative network ... think it's a good idea to let Bill Maher bring the skeleton of his canceled ABC show, 'Politically Incorrect,' and stuff it into the tattered corpse of 'Dennis Miller Live'?