Recount

• Series Premiere Date: May 25, 2008
6.8

1. ElliottM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Annoying acted and very poorly written. I'm as irked as the next person about the 2000 election debacle, but this is pathetic.
  2. TroyK.
    May 30, 2008
    This was awful from the start. This could've been really, really good...but it fell really, really flat. It was more of another left wing spin film that didn't even attempt to capture the essence nor complexity of the situation. It was disappointing, but reminds me of why I shouldn't support HBO with my monthly fees.

1. At one point, before a press conference, Dern morphs her face from that of a human being into Harris' crazy-cuckoo public mask, and the moment is absolutely chilling. Fair? Debatable, but like Recount, it's a gorgeous bit of political theater.
  2. Sure enough, HBO's "Recount" is replete with inside politics. But it also has well-written characters, first-class acting and confident directing, which produces a level of tension and suspense you wouldn’t expect in a story about a widely reported recent event.
    Written with an eye for telling detail by Danny Strong, and directed in surprisingly nimble fashion by blockbuster-comedy wrangler Jay Roach (of the Austin Powers movies and Meet the Parents fame), it has the peculiarly alchemic structure of a nail-biting tragi-farce.