8.7

1. Oct 27, 2014
    When i saw the first episode, i thought this would be a boring and cliche show. However, i was unexpectedly hooked, i'm in love with the characters, the plot and everything else. I found myself angry, annoyed, laughing, and on the verge of tears while watching each episode. What a show!!
  2. Sep 3, 2014
    This show is astonishing, beautifully acted and directed. The lead has incredible talent, the viewer is torn between wanting to cry for him or wanting to shake him into animation, anger, something! The supporting cast is superb. If you are looking for an adrenaline pumped action show, this is not your show. If you are looking for depth, wonderful scenery, strange dreamlike scenes, this show is for you. Be patient, it takes about 10 minutes to pull you in and then you are hooked. Just watch the character, Daniel, watch his eyes convey pain, sadness, confusion, love, apprehension, all without saying a word. Terrific show. Expand
  3. Aug 30, 2014
    Sundance TV brings us another amazing show in Rectify, currently airing its second season. The show was created by Ray McKinnon (Sons of Anarchy) and stars Aden Young (Daniel), Abigail Spencer (Amantha), J. Smith Cameron (Janet), Clayne Crawford (Teddy), Adelaide Clemens (Tawney), J.D. Evermore (Sheriff Carl Daggett), and Luke Kirby (Jon).
    The drama takes place in the fictional small
    town of Paulie, Georgia (filmed in Griffin, Georgia just south of Atlanta). When the series begins, we see Daniel as he is released from death row. In one of the first scenes, he can see a new inmate having to endure a strip search not unlike the many he has likely endured during the last 19 years. When one of the guards approaches him and asks if he'd like something to drink, he seems stunned and confused at the sudden respect he is shown now that he is no longer an inmate. This is the first of many strange experiences that lay in store for Daniel as he ventures back out into a world that no longer resembles the one he had known when he was locked up as a teenager.
    Daniel is a complex character, played to perfection by Aden Young, an Australian actor by way of Canada. Daniel is quiet and moves very slowly and deliberately. He has not known time in the traditional sense that the rest of us know it. He has not been able to experience the passing of a day by looking the the sunrise or sunset. He does not know the seasons of the year, having been locked in a windowless cell for 19 years. He has only had his books and his neighbor, Kerwin, for company. He is able to talk with Kerwin through the air conditioning grate in the wall and occasionally see him as he is taken out of his cell. At first, it is unclear whether Daniel is a little slow, possibly mentally challenged in some way. But soon enough, we realize that he is a man of tremendous intellect and inner strength. In fact, we see him handle most situations with a deliberate, studied approach. Even his manner of speaking suggests that he is quietly considering each decision the day brings in that he doesn't use contractions but speaks each word fully and with purpose. There are times when you think you know him. His face stirs such emotion in the viewer that you want to take care of him, much like the members of his family and those few friends who still remember him from before his incarceration. But around every corner, we meet a different side to Daniel and find that he is a man not easily figured out.
    The other players in this drama are experiencing their own private drama. His sister, Amantha, has stood by her brother over the past 19 years, working tirelessly to clear his name and have him released from prison. In the process, she has put her own life on hold. Although she lives in Atlanta at the beginning of the series, she soon moves back to Paulie to be near her beloved Daniel. Amantha is not a delicate southern flower. She is tough and hardened. The only times we see her soften are when she is with her brother or the young handsome lawyer from Atlanta that is responsible for Daniel's release from Death Row. Abigail Spencer is mesmerizing as Amantha.
    The young lawyer, Jon, is played by Luke Kirby (Take This Waltz). In some ways, he's supposed to be the typical big-city, Jewish lawyer. But Kirby is understated in his portrayal. We soon realize that this case has become personal for him. He is struggling with the truth of the case. What was Daniel's role in the death of Hanna? And he is struggling with his palpable attraction to Amantha. Both of them realize the inappropriate nature of the relationship, but neither can stay away from the other. The chemistry between Luke Kirby and Abigail Spencer is electric on the screen.
    Daniel's mother, Janet, is another interesting character. While she is a southern woman who is quite soft and refined, she is also quite strong and assertive when it is called upon. She is quite educated and shares Daniel's love of good literature. It is quite clear that the two have a special relationship. They understand one another. They "get" one another in a way that Mothers and Sons don't often experience. I love their scenes together.
    My favorite couple, and the one that perplexes me the most, would be Tawney and Teddy. Tawney is played quite believably by the Australian actress Adelaide Clemens. Believe me, as a Southern girl myself, I have a high standard for nonSoutherners playing us, and she nails it. She is sweet, demure, and a devoted Christian in the truest sense of the world. There is a goodness in Tawney that I would hate to see shattered by the ugliness and evil in this world. But I fear that her faith in the goodness of others might be in jeopardy.
    Her husband, Teddy, on the other hand, has a more jaded, cynical view of the world. His father is married to Daniel's mother making Daniel his stepbrother. He is not so quick to welcome Daniel back into the fold. (see the rest of my review at www.jollybuzz.org).
  4. Aug 29, 2014
    This show is an undiscovered gem of a show where the brilliant ensemble cast and the fantastic writing has kept me riveted and under it spell. the performances are strong and real and haunting. You will grow to care about these people and their town. The story weaves slowly, but do not let that turn you off as it is immensely satisfying.
  5. Aug 29, 2014
    You may like or dislike this kind of drama, but it's very high level stuff. The plot advances in a way that is so consistently bound to the vulnerability of the lead character that it takes "caring about what happens" to the protagonist to a new level: It actually requires a kind of courage from the viewer to watch each following episode.
  6. Aug 14, 2014
    The first episode is one of the best I have seen.Truly a 10/10 episode which warrants a high score for the series regardless of what comes after.. Its tremendously shot, produced, and directed. Extremely well casted...Some of it went off base a tad but I will be glued to this to the end..
  7. Jul 21, 2014
    Masterpiece. That is all you need to know. If you loved Six Feet Under there is gold for you here yet by no means in a copycat fashion. Best show on TV in the best of the best ranks with True Detective.
  8. Jun 28, 2014
    Aden Young along with the entire cast invite you in to the all too real world of our prejudices and shortcomings. Death, juxtaposed with life; hope battling with hope; fear duking it out with fearlessness; humanity wins here with all human flaws exposed. Do not overlook this show. If I had to describe the show in one word, the word is brilliant!!!! I would give this show a 10+ if it were an option! Expand
  9. Jun 19, 2014
    I'm late getting around to rating this, but was thinking about it because I'm eagerly anticipating the season 2 premiere on Monday. This was great TV, very unusual lately, a show truly driven by old-fashioned plot, characters, and emotional nuance, rather that monsters, spies, supercomputers, and CGI stunts.
  10. Apr 20, 2014
    Show that simple. It's powerful! A unique and different drama that does not show as Daniel seeking justice, and yes, wanting to readapt "spiritually" or "socially", and rightfully so the series is unique. She does not try to "preach" some kind of "message" to be condemned to death and etc. ...
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    Just as Daniel Holden declares one of his experiences during the series, Rectify is simply ''fantastical''. The plot movement is slow and it's scenes perhaps even monotone at times especially in Aden Young's depiction of Daniel, whilst these would typically be negative elements in a series instead they are complements, such is the brilliance of it's storytelling and in depth look into the characters personalities. You find yourself with plenty of food for thought throughout and more questions than answers, but that again is one of the beauties of it. The acting is solid from all the cast and Aden Young should be recognised for his gentle yet disturbing portrayal of Daniel Holden, an Emmy would not be undeserved. Fascinating story, superbly scripted with emotional outcomes. This is something different, somewhat meditative and most definitely fantastical. Expand
  12. Feb 16, 2014
    This is one of the best shows of 2013. Great acting and the story is just perfect. This is just a gem and can stand out for great acting, great directing and a great script. It is quite interesting to see the inability to communicate of all the characters and at the same time the difficulty to realise what the actual problem is. In many ways, this show can be considered original and provoking.
  13. Oct 9, 2013
    With breaking bad and dexter over not to many shows to be excited about.. Rectify is on top of my list. Vary good vary beautiful show. It's slow moving but vary compelling Sucked me in Goat man episode hooked me to fanatic status I got high hopes for season 2. Don't know how long they can stretch premise but I will be glued to tv and find out. You will cry at least once watching this show. Closest thing to compare it to drama and emotion wise is Six Feet Under Expand
  14. Jul 14, 2013
    The first 4 episodes had me mesmerized. It's deep, thought provoking, intelligent and brilliant. It deliberately goes away from where most other American series would go. So far it's not about "who did it?" but "what prison can do to you if you're already different." It reminds me of "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Idiot" and "Temple Grandin" all wrapped together in a cornucopia of taut little scenes that all give up profound perceptions. Yet it manages to keep it's feet on the ground by having none of the characters one dimensional (except so far the Senator) and it keeps many of them uneasy to read, so that curiosity builds to see which way things will play out. And it's American!! Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2013
    The casting choice and the acting being drawn from all of the actors in this show has been nothing but wondrous. Rarely have I ever been drawn, with such rapture, to the edge of my seat with the energy and slow building intensity of each and every episode.
    To the two tracks which the story is following that stand out for me is the deep insight into Daniel's life on death row, which has
    been both harrowing, and curious to watch unfold, and then that of his half brother, who is now, the age Daniel was when he was convicted and sent to prison. It brings the reality of just how young he was when he and his family's life changed so dramatically, and then how that would shape the mind of a young 18 year old over the next 20 years. Throw in the possibility of his innocence, and the rift within family and township as to his guilt, creates a well directed, produced and skilled performance by all involved in this shows making. Definitely a show of which the next season shall be eagerly awaited. Expand
  16. Jun 30, 2013
    A beatiful picture of a man who doens't belong anymore to this world. Photography as its finest, fine cast, plot well written and a (kinda) slow pace that just fit perfectly for this show. Can't wait for season two
  17. Jun 20, 2013
    Can't praise it enough. Exquisitely shot. Exceptionally written and Aden Young is just extraordinary. Best series I have seen. Hands down. Rectify for the WIN!
  18. May 21, 2013
    Thought provokingly well written, the show grabs your attention from the very beginning and doesn't let go. The direction is extremely well done, providing a variety of visually stunning and emotionally shattering scenes. The characters are believable and it's incredibly well acted. It is the type of show that spends time flushing out each of its characters, something I truly appreciate and find missing in television vs movies. I especially love Daniel(Aden Young) and Amantha(Abigail Spencer), as well as Mom/Janet(Jean Smith-Cameron) who provides the perfect matriarch in subtler tones holding up the family.

Rectify is the number one Best new television show.
  19. May 20, 2013
    Best new show that I have seen in a long time. Shows that mistakes were made 20 years ago and that the town still believes that Daniel is guilty if only in their own mind. Same as the West Memphis 3.They were all wronged.
  20. May 13, 2013
    After three episodes, I'm hooked and will be watching the series.

So far it's not without its flaws. The ages of the various actors all seem a little young in comparison with the established timeline. The whole father-son dynamic that would otherwise be key in a story like this is ducked via a pre-story heart attack and a decent stepfather that is strictly a background prop. Most of
    the male plot line directions and characters seem pat, stereotypical and expected, like the wicked stepbrother, the Jewish lawyer fish out of water, the bullying small-town sheriff or the sleazy Southern pol. The women in contrast all are a bit odd, with the vapid mother, driven non-conformist sister, repressed sister-in-law, the cheerful waitress who is in fact the dessert on her own menu.

However, there is also a feeling of depth here that shows a great deal of thought and nuance on both the part of the writers and actors. This is a classic Southern Gothic story that revels in sunlight instead of shadows. The pacing is so languid that the show is a character study rather than a procedural. People are introduced almost as asides that will obviously come to be key players in unexpected and unanticipated ways as time goes on. As the end of the pilot shows, not all is as it seems and surprising, sudden pops can be expected.

Most of all, the antihero lead is immediately sympathetic, interesting, and even mesmerizing. It is like watching a butterfly break free of its chrysalis. Seeing the overlooked mystery of our present through his eyes is worth admission alone. Following the unresolved mystery of his past with our eyes is worth staying for.
  21. May 11, 2013
    This series has the quality and intensely personal nature as "The Killing" and "Breaking Bad", but so far, without the violence.

It's incredibly well acted and gives us some time to know the characters, which is something I truly appreciate. It might not be action-packed enough for some viewers, but if you enjoy observing what each character is experiencing and reading between the lines
    a little, you'll quickly warm up to the unique premise of this series.

Personally, I already feel very attached to the lead character and am feeling tremendous empathy for him. In my view, without emotional attachment to the characters, there is no show!

I am greatly looking forward to this mystery unraveling and I find myself wondering, exactly how will JUSTICE be rectified...

....and who will rectify it???
  22. May 11, 2013
    While Sundance Festival may discover fragile intelligent independent movies, it also sometimes expose badly filmed,casted and written cheap ones. So I was curious to see what Mr Redford channel would offer for its first series. The first scene gave me an early hint,it is magnificent, this man in the check out room, in between the world he knows, obscure and the frightening sunny world outside, limited dialog. This series will be cinematic, base on directing more than scenario a good one though). This is not a judiciary story but the story of a man, mysterious, profoundly changed by its jailed time, who was still teenage when the movie of its life took a brutal stop. It add to the subtlety to ignore whether he did it or not and his silence about it. The dysfunctional recomposed family is source of lot of deep moment. Few examples When Ted junior asks his wife to get naked, the humiliation he impose her, like an object. Then, when he is about to leave for a seminar, she turn on the hairdryer and next image, we see what we guess, her hair are already dry,she just doesn't want to listen to him. Ted, the villain so far, manipulative with his stepmother but way too idiot to manipulate Daniel (golf scene). I stop here,so many great moments in this show. The atmosphere,idiosyncratic a bit remind me of the cult Twin Peaks, the country people, closed community who buries their secrets. The quality of the dialog remind me of Six feet under. This is really the type of series I love and so far, along with House of cards, my favorite this season Expand
  23. May 8, 2013
    A stunning achievement in just about every imaginable way, Rectify truly takes television beyond what it was meant for. It's deliberately slow paced and I mean this in such a good way. As a personal preference, I don't like slow paced tv shows unless the dialogue is interesting enough to grab me(ex. Deadwood, Justified). Interestingly enough, Rectify chooses its moments very carefully. In episode 2 for example, there's two scenes where the main character, Daniel, describes two very different experiences in wildly different ways. What makes these moments hit even harder is that Daniel rarely talks compared to the rest of the characters. So when he does talk, you listen. And you listen carefully. What hides behind this man's mask is a deep, thoughtful, and wise mind. But also a broken and hurt one as well. I've never heard of Aden Young before this show, but his performance might well be the best I've ever seen on television.

A lot of people won't like this show and only really for one reason. It's slow. Really slow. But this show isn't afraid of doing it this way. Because Daniel is seeing the world slowly. He's taking in everything at a methodical pace. This sets the pace for the show and allows the audience to travel with him. It lets us sit back and experience these things for the first time as well. The beautiful sunsets, the sunny days where you just want to sit on the grass and feel the wind on your face, and other simple things that seem normal to us every day. The directing and cinematography help all of this along. Everything that we as people would normally not even glance at seem more beautiful in retrospect.

The acting is top notch. No character is out of place or without purpose. Abigail Spencer and Adelaide Clemens especially give terrific performances. The former plays Daniel's sister who fought for his innocence all her life and now that she succeeded, doesn't quite know how to fill the void of fighting for Daniel with Daniel himself. She doesn't understand him, as most of the characters here don't. She doesn't even know how to try to understand him. Spencer is very convincing as this kind of character. Clemens thrives off her scenes with Young. Playing his sister in law and a well meaning religious woman, her scenes with Young hold some of the more interesting and thoughtful conversations in the entire show. Desperate to understand him and to connect, despite her husband's objections, she finds Daniel a testament to her beliefs as his deep mind convinces her so.

The show doesn't quite delve into the rape and murder of Daniel's high school sweetheart, deciding to focus more on Daniel's attempt at integrating back into normal life after missing almost 20 years of social progress. This makes Daniel's innocence questionable in a lot of ways as the show doesn't spell it out. He could in fact be guilty. Which would make the sympathy you feel for him all that more remarkable.

Rectify is a haunting, beautiful, serene, and heartbreaking show. While it certainly does feel complete in these six episodes, even with the disturbing open ending, it has recently been renewed for a second season, a further reason to watch this show as you can look forward to it delving deeper into Daniel's psyche and possibly the crimes he supposedly committed. Watch it. It's a must see.
  24. May 5, 2013
    Brilliant in the acting, writing and directing. This show is meant to be savored and pondered and experienced in a way that teaches us the nature of being vulnerable, fragile and broken by an experience, The main character does this in such a touching and moving way that you are left wanting to be witness to his changes, thoughts, movements etc. His humanity his pain is so right palpable that you want to actually witness his journey his evolution his liberation despite the obvious feelings of being alone, angry and deeply wounded by his time in jail. Just a beautifully executed show. Expand
  25. May 4, 2013
    I have watched only one episode and I am already hooked. This is exactly the type of show I love. One that has a very compelling story with deep history of the characters that will be revealed as time passes. I was engrossed and moved. What more can anyone ask for........
  26. May 3, 2013
    Rectify is like one of those wonderful pieces of art that is arresting with its beauty, but filled with enough heart and depth that you'll find yourself staring inward as well.
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a mesmerizing and engrossing story that captured me right from the first episode. It raises all kinds of questions and thoughts about someone missing 20 years on the outside. Very thought provoking; we need more of this kind of programming. Have seen 3 can't wait for the next 3. Bravo to the writers, producers, directors and fine cast.
  28. Apr 30, 2013
    Simply wonderful. Brilliantly crafted characters with realistic flaws, beautifully shot and masterfully acted. Rectifty might be the best new show this year.
  29. Apr 28, 2013
    "Rectify" is as close to perfection as a TV program can be. Writing, directing, acting and even soundtrack are exceptional. A story of a man, brilliantly played by Aden Young, who is reborn into world he no longer knows and a family who no longer knows him. As I watched the dynamics of the relationships develop I felt the dread of what was seething from without. Too bad Directv doesn't show Sundance in HD or I would have given "Rectify" an eleven. Expand
  30. Apr 27, 2013
    Somehow I've found myself six episodes in and this sucker is really heating up. From premise to development, this show is captivating and intelligent. Not just a study of small town revenge and hate but a much more broad peek into what we all fear most; ourselves when confronted by something new and uncertain. This show is going to be great.
  31. Apr 27, 2013
    Captivating, Suspenseful, Brilliantly Crafted and Wonderfully Acted. Very rare to come across such a quality show that moves at a nice pace and always keeps you interested. The mystery and the journey of the lead character is what is really engrossing.
  32. Apr 26, 2013
    Just finished all 6 episodes from iTunes. Mind blowing. You can hardly summarize a main plot yet this show goes rather deep in humanity, self-awareness and religion. Especially in episode 5, one might find it mystifying but the emotional expression was so strong that my heart beat as if I was Holden. Everything is dealt carefully in sync with Holden's cognition. Great writing, great shooting and excellent acting. I believe they slow down the pace on purpose. Expand
  33. Apr 26, 2013
    This show is really good. The acting is great and the plot is a little slow but incredibly well-written.
    This is one of the best shows this year and I would highly recommend it to everyone.
    It's everything I have expected from such an amazing writers and producers.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    It’s a breathtaking work of immense beauty and a thought-provoking meditation on the nature of crime and punishment, of identity and solitude, of guilt and absolution. It is, quite simply, the best new show of 2013.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2013
    [Rectify] feels damply airless--the tension might be ripped open at any moment by a thunderclap of revelation.... It's a disturbing, impressive performance [from Aden Young as Daniel]. [13 May 2013, p.49]
  3. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Apr 25, 2013
    The good news is that this contemplative, utterly engrossing and frequently gorgeous character study achieves and then surpasses both of those goals [justify the network's foray into the field while living up to the Sundance brand] over the course of its initial six episode season.