Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.9

1. May 1, 2013
    While I am intrigued by the idea of this, and the social implications of wrongful imprisonment, I side somewhat with "Context" on the idea that this man, who was 18 when he entered prison, (I am 37, so I was right about where Daniel Holden was at 18) is so awestruck by the world surrounding him--like he is on another planet. However, I cut some slack because the first few days of freedomWhile I am intrigued by the idea of this, and the social implications of wrongful imprisonment, I side somewhat with "Context" on the idea that this man, who was 18 when he entered prison, (I am 37, so I was right about where Daniel Holden was at 18) is so awestruck by the world surrounding him--like he is on another planet. However, I cut some slack because the first few days of freedom from an isolated maximum-security prison would be a shock I can't relate to, and it does seem like the first few episodes have progressed only a matter of days, maybe 1 week at most. I have to hope that he will be a little less John Coffey-Green Mile "special" and a little more real. He's weird. At least people on the show have acknowledged that...maybe we will see more "weird" from his youth in subsequent flash-backs that will help us relate to the strange man we see today. I hope so, I am still drawn to it and want to see more episodes. I want this show and Sundance's first crack at original programming to succeed! Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2016
    It has good parts. The premise is interesting, and the characters are given time to display a reasonable mix of attributes and behaviour. One of the main issues for me is that the characters aren't particularly enjoyable. The lead character, in particular, can be rather infuriating. It's worth watching, I suppose, but I would never go out of my way to recommend this to anyone.
  3. Apr 29, 2013
    Incredibly good in parts, incredibly bad in others.

Daniels intellectual speeches are tremendous. His stocism is even bearable. The shock of coming out of 19 years in solitary is done well However, the prison walls are spotless as are the linens and jumpsuits. The tired cliche of prison rape is used when ex-prisoners know that boredom, basically being locked in a bathroom for 19
    Incredibly good in parts, incredibly bad in others.

However, the prison walls are spotless as are the linens and jumpsuits. The tired cliche of prison rape is used when ex-prisoners know that boredom, basically being locked in a bathroom for 19 years, is the problem. Daniel jumps to re-embrace old cassette tapes and clothes when a real prisoner struggles to catch up with new things asap.
  4. Nov 12, 2017
    This is a story that should've been told in a single season, but instead, they spread it across a whopping FOUR SEASONS. I watched all four seasons. I perused some of the other reviews, and it appears that most of the other reviewers jumped the gun and reviewed this POS after the first episode. Well, I was fortunate enough to watch the entire series, so you're in luck - I'm about to saveThis is a story that should've been told in a single season, but instead, they spread it across a whopping FOUR SEASONS. I watched all four seasons. I perused some of the other reviews, and it appears that most of the other reviewers jumped the gun and reviewed this POS after the first episode. Well, I was fortunate enough to watch the entire series, so you're in luck - I'm about to save you a lot of time.

It's clear that the writers did not intend this show to last four seasons. I'm completely confident that the writers wrote, at most, three hours worth of material. At some point on the business end, however, someone or some entity instructed them to turn this into a four season saga. The writers had a very hard time with this...the foregoing statement is perhaps the biggest understatement of all time. The fourth season was the worst. I turned it into a video game of sorts. Specifically, I endeavored to edit the show myself. I'd already endured three seasons of meandering and irrelevant exposition. I'd Googled the show prior to viewing, and the intel produced thereto stated that the show was filmed from 2013 to 2016. I concluded that the show was only three seasons long. After season one, this was a MASSIVE relief. My heart sunk when season three ended and I saw that I had to suffer through another season of what was, candidly, the most incompetent film direction that I'd ever seen in my entire life.

But I digress...during the fourth season, I fast forwarded through scenes that I deemed irrelevant to the main plot. The main plot being, of course, the murder of Hannah Dean. I likened it to a video game. I'd observe the characters and settings on the screen, and deduce that the scene was wholly irrelevant from the aforementioned main plot. Occassionally, I'd halt the fast-forwarding and randomly listen to some dialog. This proved to be extremely frustrating. To my astonishment, I'd almost always find that no one was talking. "WTF do you mean?," you're probably asking. I'm saying that these scenes contained either little or no dialogue. There'd literally be a five to ten minute scene where Daniel, or his sister, or his mother, would be meandering about a gazebo - or something - looking at a blue bird, or a cloud, or who the f*** cares?!

You must be wondering why I watched (kinda) the entire series. I watched the series because I found the main plot captivating. I'm a lawyer in Georgia that works exclusively on murder cases, and I've handled many a case that was loosely akin to the one depicted on the show. I found the Law&Order/Investigation aspect of the show to be very interesting, which was why I labored to its conclusion. But I was disgusted that the writers/director thought it appropriate to waste my time with dozens of hours of irrelevant sub plots. If you watch this show - which I DON'T recommend - brace yourself for [30% protagonist and his buddies/friends experiencing the complications/social stigma of being connected to a man who more likely than not committed a murder] + [60% completely irrelevant development of uninteresting characters you care nothing about with boring lives] + [10% murder of Hannah Dean - the main plot of the show].

I have never in my life seen a piece of film directed with such outrageous incompetence. Save yourself some time and watch the first episode and then the last episode of the series - you'll bel able to deduce what happened in between.
  5. May 22, 2013
    You know that scene in ‘Shawshank Redemption’ when Andy Dufresne finally escapes from prison, he rips his shirt open and feels the rain on his face, Frank Darabont managed to convey in those 30 seconds what this show does in 6 episodes, and that was 19 years ago (the film i.e).
    Rectify is about a man rejoning society after 19 years of incarceration, he went to prison probably around the time Shawshank Redemption was released. I do believe our Hero saw this film because he obviously knows how to look like a man wrongfully incarcerated. Here’s what happens during the course of the first season. The male lead walks on grass, then walks bare foot on a patch of grass, views a Sunset and a Sunrise and has about 700 shots of sunlight falling on his face. Yes Mr.Director, point taken, Freedom is a beautiful thing. That’s it, it has got nothing else to say that hasn’t been said before and by more creative people.
    I believe there’s going be a Season 2. I’m expecting to see the wind blowing through the hair of our Hero and will be mighty disappointed if it’s not there. I’m kidding, no way I’m sitting through 5 more minutes of this.
    The acting is good, the writing is fine too, but here’s the thing, if the only emotion a show can manage to elicit from me is either boredom or indifference, it’s bad in my book.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    It’s a breathtaking work of immense beauty and a thought-provoking meditation on the nature of crime and punishment, of identity and solitude, of guilt and absolution. It is, quite simply, the best new show of 2013.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2013
    [Rectify] feels damply airless--the tension might be ripped open at any moment by a thunderclap of revelation.... It's a disturbing, impressive performance [from Aden Young as Daniel]. [13 May 2013, p.49]
  3. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Apr 25, 2013
    The good news is that this contemplative, utterly engrossing and frequently gorgeous character study achieves and then surpasses both of those goals [justify the network's foray into the field while living up to the Sundance brand] over the course of its initial six episode season.