Reign (2013) : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 17, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.7

1. Oct 26, 2015
    The artistic freedom is limitless as we have seen and accepted with extreme tolerance, but certain limits must not be exceeded. The actors I give 4 stars. The misleading historical course get me to give the production and authors 1 star.

The significant historical events, which are of great importance and depicts "Mary Stuart Queen of Scots" tragic life can be read at Wikipedia: Mary Queen of Scots.

Some people will do anything for money, no matter what the consequences it could have. The series will be seen by a wide audience around the world, some of those viewers will see it as historical correct and therefore acquires a corrupt knowledge of an important historical event that has had a major impact on our culture.

Shame on you!
  2. Jul 6, 2015
    This show started out good, and I enjoyed it. The only thing that really annoys me is how it throws in so many new things. The clothes for instance. It has a lot of clothing that is accurate to that era, but sometimes they'll throw something that would NEVER been int he show. One instance I can remember is Mary, and Her ladies have woken up, and Kenna is wearing a white gown with knee highThis show started out good, and I enjoyed it. The only thing that really annoys me is how it throws in so many new things. The clothes for instance. It has a lot of clothing that is accurate to that era, but sometimes they'll throw something that would NEVER been int he show. One instance I can remember is Mary, and Her ladies have woken up, and Kenna is wearing a white gown with knee high socks, and it's short (above the knee) that would've NEVER been ok back then. Also Kenna gets excited in the first episode, and touches herself, only have to have the king come up behind her. I don't doubt things like that happened, but not so aggressive! Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started out loving this series, but it has descended into an ugly mixture of literally no one having any virtue, honesty, loyalty, or kindness. I wanted to watch Francis and Mary forge a loving marriage and stand strong together to fight for a France that will reunite behind a strong monarchy and vanquish all enemies. This recent change in Mary has ruined the series for me. Please, at least, have Francis remain true to Mary and have Mary find her way back to Francis, eventually! I hope before the season ends, as I fear I may not return for a 3rd. Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2014
    First of all, this is not a historical show. It's loosely based on the story of Mary, Queen of the Scots who was engaged since childhood to the future king of France. That said, the first episode is intriguing. The cinematography is beautiful. Costumes and sets are grandiose. I would definitely watch another episode.

My only gripe with the show is the music.. Too much of it, and it's

My only gripe with the show is the music.. Too much of it, and it's just too loud in the mix! I don't mind that it's modern, but sometimes they play songs (with lyrics) on top of dialogues, which can be very distracting.
  5. Oct 26, 2013
    This show isn't bad. it's just not good enough either. They should have introduced more for a pilot. This show is getting cancelled i guarantee it because neither are ratings doing well nor critically
  6. Oct 18, 2013
    Average show. Seems to be directed towards the teenage population; shallow and predictable script. The modern pop soundtrack does not go well at all with a show based in the 16th century; completely destroys the "time-travel" vibe that a show of it's nature should give off. Lukewarm performance from Adelaide Kane.
  7. Oct 18, 2013
    The pilot was surprisingly dark. I guess you can't expect good things to ever happen in a show centralizing on women in the 1500s, but it dealt with a lot of sexual violence and it's a CW show. It surprised me. Aside from that, nothing really happened either. It was pretty boring. Mary, Queen of Scotts had an unfortunate, but interesting life and certainly can make for a TV series, muchThe pilot was surprisingly dark. I guess you can't expect good things to ever happen in a show centralizing on women in the 1500s, but it dealt with a lot of sexual violence and it's a CW show. It surprised me. Aside from that, nothing really happened either. It was pretty boring. Mary, Queen of Scotts had an unfortunate, but interesting life and certainly can make for a TV series, much like the White Queen, but will this show be able to survive its fierce 9:00 competition? I'm not so sure. All that being said, Reign features one of the best looking casts on TV. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    It is all very campy and salacious (the young ladies are quite overcome after witnessing a bedding, although the resulting masturbation scene was trimmed from the pilot shown to the press), and historical accuracy takes a backseat to hair product and a driving contemporary soundtrack. But the show seems to be a bit aware of its own absurdity, which is more than one can say for some of the dreck the networks have served up so far this season.
  2. Reviewed by: Sarah Rodman
    Oct 17, 2013
    With its grand castle backdrop and sumptuous costumes, Reign looks beautiful, as do all of the people in it. But there needs to be something a little more substantial--be it drama or kitsch--between those walls and seams to make Reign into a show worthy of ascending to the heights of guilty pleasure TV royalty.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    Oct 17, 2013
    This is a show, and a network, that doesn't just insult your intelligence; they assume you don't have any.