• Network: Adult Swim
  • Series Premiere Date: Dec 2, 2013
  • Season #: 1
9.2

1. Dec 4, 2013
    This show is simply charming, which is strange to say for a show that looks weird. The first episode of this show already has me hooked and I cannot wait to see were Rick and Morty go next on their adventures. Granted, it may not be the funniest TV show, but funny nonetheless. Its charm and animation will be the major factors in reeling you in to watch, trust me. Like I said, I am already hooked just by the first episode, and if that does not show this shows impact, then I do not know what will.

Basically, if you watched and enjoyed the movie series "Back to the Future" and the TV show "Futurama," you should have no problem adjusting to and enjoying this show. The shows two main characters are Rick and Morty. Rick is Morty's grandfather whom is obsessed with science, drinking alcohol, and is seriously a fantastic nod to Doc Brown from "Back to the Future." Morty is Rick's grandson who is constantly dragged into Rick's experiments and adventures.

Overall, a fantastic, charming show!
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    maybe a 10 is a bit much but i loved this show. i love a lot of the content that adult swim makes and this was no exception, it was clever and hilarious with a lot of witty humour and filled with originality.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Far better than scrubby ass shows like adventure time, regular show, wander over yonder, and my little pony.
  4. Dec 2, 2013
    The first episode of the show hit all the right points for me, it was funny, well written, was full of references, and had just the right amount of absurdity to it. There are a lot of big sci-fi concepts here, and I hope they work out. One thing I will say it that I hope there are some overarching plot lines, largely because the "every episode is standalone" format only works for so long.
    I think the show certainly has what it takes to stand with the likes of the other Adult Swim successes like: Robot Chicken, Frankenhole, China, IL, and Superjail. Only time will tell if it reaches the pinnacle of the channel; The Venture Bros. I'm excited to see where it goes.
  5. Dec 4, 2013
    Rarely has a pilot episode made me say "I love this show"....but Rick and Morty's first episode made me say exactly that within the first 6 minutes. I personally can't wait to see what else these two get into in the future.
  6. Dec 11, 2013
    have not seen something this original in a good while the humor is quick witty and science based. brings a lot of things together, and that's what makes it great. a must watch! this show has the potential to go places no other can go.
  7. Feb 1, 2014
    One of the best shows ive seen in my entire life, animated or otherwise. Takes me back to when cartoons were actually GOOD, its amazing how every episode leaves me feeling completely satisfied yet yerning for more. Fantastic show, id recomend it to anyone.
  8. Jan 3, 2014
    This is probably the best, and most promising show to appear on adult swim in some time. It's fresh, exciting, and a very good show to watch under the influence.
  9. Feb 28, 2014
    It's been 6 episodes and this is already my favorite show. Words cannot describe how amazing this is. Comedy and science fiction are my two favorite things and this show manages to perfectly combine them. It's the new Futurama, ladies and gentlemen.
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    Let me start off by saying this show is CRAZY. It definitely reminds me of regular show in its wackiness. Probably the best new show on adult swim. The art style is crazy as the show and again reminds me of regular show. Rick is insane and I love it! Though him saying "morty" about a hundred or more times got on my nerves a bit. The comedy was good but the action and interdimensional travel are the highlights. This inter dimensional traveling the duo go on brings me back to Brian and Stewie's adventures through the multiverse in family guy. This show definitely does not "ripoff" either regular show or family guy and stands out on its own. I recommend a watch of this show I'm glad I watched it and even if you didn't much care for the pilot you still may want to stick around to see what crazy situations this likable duo get into in future episodes. Expand
  11. Jan 21, 2014
    I'm writing this review after watching the 5th episode. This show is awesome. The characters are really growing on me and the plot is great. The music, animation, voice acting are top-notch. "Rick and Morty forever. A hundred years Rick and Morty!"
  12. Apr 21, 2014
    With the fist season finally done i believe its time to write a proper review.
    Rick and Morty, if ya don't know, Follows the adventures of Rick, Morty's scientific genius alcoholic grandfather who with the help from his grandson Morty go on bizarre and wacky adventures for example traveling from different dimensions to fighting a creature's that are basically alterations to human DNA
    mixed, or fused with other animals or beings. At fist i really had no idea what the **** i was getting myself into, the humor was off, animation was average yet somehow the show managed to capture my attention, maybe it was the Back to the Future meets alcoholism. Rick and Morty real starts ti became funny, dead on funny, smart funny, sophisticated funny probably right after ep 2 after the charters have been introduced because damn the characters in the show are SO likable, the script even became dense and very complex at times. Its just the prefect Sci Fi comedy out their on the market it is spot on in so many ways SO GODDMAN WATCH IT. Collapse
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    It's like watching new episodes of one of my old tv shows that use to be on the air. It has alot of common sense to it and is hilarious. They picked the perfect outfit for the show since science is better and funner in every way possible. A really fun but at times, interesting show. I think it deserves a 10/10
  14. Jan 6, 2014
    The first episode had me scratching my head, but by episode two I was fully on board. Not since prime Futurama have I had such nerdy sci-fi fun. Just discover it for yourself. Now if NBC can keep Community on the air, all will be right with the world.
  15. Jan 28, 2014
    Overall, a really fantastic show.

Somehow Rick and Morty manages to deliver undeniable hilarity without devolving into the mindless stupidity that sometimes plagues adult swim cartoons.

Additionally, the show actually demonstrates a real depth of character in its titular characters. Episode 6 in particular did an excellent job of articulating how desensitized Rick is to essentially
    everything apart from morty and how Morty isn't just a cartoon caricature of an american teenager. Expand
  16. Jan 24, 2014
    every time i think it can't get better it does, just the right blend of weird, smart-ass, and wild story lines. My new favorite show. I find myself waiting for awesome Monday night!
  17. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show has finally put a smile in me that hasn't been there since 2003.
    You should tune in every Monday night to watch this show and laugh and everything else.
  18. Dec 31, 2013
    Rick and Morty is a whacky, yet hilarious new show. From the first episode it's original concept and writing grabbed and kept my attention., the second episode only added to my excitement for the series' future. Everything about Rick and Morty has really stood out to me and in my book, deserves a damn good score. Good job Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, I can't wait to see more.
  19. Jan 8, 2014
    Finally a Cartoon again on adult swim! Pure genius at that too! Love it! I really Hope they pick this one up for second season and continue with wild antics!
  20. Jan 20, 2014
    After so many years it is an absolute pleasure to see another hilarious adult swim original. The stuttered, drunken speech of Rick coupled with Morty's perpetually anxious expression make any scene featuring them absolutely golden. I tune in every Monday to see the next adventure, and so should you.
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    This is by far my new favorite. Very funny and outlandish. I read that they get a lot of their inspiration from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Dr. Who, and judging by the plots and humor in the episodes I've seen so far I'm not surprised. This is a fantastic TV series that I hope will be on air for many seasons to come.
  22. Feb 1, 2014
    Probably the most original show that 2013 had to offer, and it came to television in December. The extreme nature of the series is never underdone, and reaches new heights every episode. The unrealistic aspect is extraordinary and surreal. The great characters, to the great acting, and from the great story-lines to the even greater execution. The show is something the world has never seen, but must now acknowledge. Adult Swim has upped their game, now it's time for the viewers of the world to experience the awesome lives of both Rick and Morty. Expand
  23. Feb 16, 2014
    We lost Futurama, so this Venture Bros and Archer are making up for it. First episode was great. Every episode after the other is getting better. Nice to have something besides Archer to watch on steak night. Steak night at our house is a fat bbq'd ribeye and cartoon time for dinner. It really makes the middle of the week something to look forward to.
    The person giving this a 0
    rating complained about the stuttering. I think it works as it gives the sense of silly realism to the characters. It could do with a little less of Rick burping(we get it, he's drunk all the time)but that is a minor complaint. Back off the burping to maybe once or twice an episode and it's perfect 11.
    Keep up the great work, Justin and Dan.
  24. Apr 11, 2014
    Rick and Morty is one of the best shows that I have seen in what feels like an eternity. It is belly-crampingly funny, confusing, original and it manages to surprise you at every second corner without ever feeling lame and uncreative. The show is like a bomb of wacky ideas, exploding in a cascade of fireworks. On top of that, it has more continuity and better plots than many programs that think they take themselves seriously. Expand
  25. May 24, 2014
    I saw this show back in 2013, and I tried it for about 5 minutes and then chucked it... I completely misunderstood it. Due to it looking like SuperJail, which I tried as well and was turned off by the humor I assumed R&M had the same oddball humor... I was wrong completely wrong. On a whim, I gave R&M another shot, and I'm blown away. The writing for this show is too good, almost to the fault of the show's reputation of storylines. The first 2 episodes are somewhat general audience, and then it finds it's niche around episode 3. I was completely owned by this show at Robodog.. and then I was a superfan at MeSeeks. I can honestly say that this is my favorite show, of all times. I love the characters, the writing, the voice acting, and the art. I was scared that because it was an Adult Swim show that it wouldn't get appropriate love, and most importantly I was concerned that the creators would jump ship should something more lucrative would come (assuming Adult Swim with it's small audience couldn't provide wealth). I'm thrilled that season 2 is a go... although the Wikipedia states there is not much continuity I feel that there is just enough. I don't want to give anything away, I'll just say the writing is just perfect, and has the improv comedy is there as well which lends itself a sense of life. Expand
  26. May 18, 2014
    Rick and Morty is easily the best animated show on television right now.

The jokes are sometimes dumb, sometimes smart, and sometimes raunchy, but they're always funny. Whatever your expectations on where an episode will go are, they'll always be wrong. Nothing plays out quite like what you'd think, and every episode keeps you guessing.

The characters are the strongest part of the
    show, the slow awkward grandson Morty is lovable, grandpa Rick is an alcoholic uncaring genius (who is still lovable), and the rest of the family all interact wonderfully.

All the plots that the show create come together in the end somehow, and all matter. There are no meaningless threads.

Although the show normally has a lighthearted feel, some episodes do get darker and deeper than you'd think. I'll avoid spoilers, but especially the Episode "Rick Potion #9" (also my favorite episode so far). This is not at all a bad thing though, quite the opposite.

If you're tired of shows that re-use the same jokes or feel the same every episode, then try out Rick and Morty. You won't... *buuurp* r-regret it Morty! You... you won't! Okay, Morty?
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    I loved it best show I have seen in a while 10/10 would pirate and watch over and over and over. Why can't I have a grandpa like that. It would so awesome.
  28. Mar 28, 2014
    How can you not love this show lol It has wit, humor and tons of excitement. Not since earlier seasons of South Park have i enjoyed an animated show so much. Its def worth a watch :)
  29. Jun 4, 2014
    Best show of 2013. I didn't think I was going to like this show because the animation seem cheap, but the characters, the story and the jokes are brilliant.
  30. Feb 26, 2014
    This new funny and innovating animated series. Is like watching Doc Brown(rick) and a not so cool marty mcfly(morty) go on these crazy adventures every week.The best part about the show is how well they keep up with the disfunctional relationship of morty parents that part to me is priceless. A good and funny watch
  31. Apr 11, 2014
    I created an account to review this show. It is absolutely hilarious. Each episode can be re-watched and you will find new funny bits each time that you may have missed. I highly recommend it to anyone.
  32. Apr 22, 2014
    Rick and Morty is deep, twisted, aggressive, ambitious, thoughtful, controversial, and down the right hilarious! By far and away the best animated piece of media I have seen in my life and one of the greatest tv series I have seen in my life! With commentary on issues ranging from bureaucracies to feminism through the eyes of a troubled, alcoholic scientist and his incompetent but useful grandson side kick, this show elevates SciFi comedy to a level it's never been. I also love Rick's new catchphrase, "I don't give a f*#k"! Expand
  33. Apr 19, 2014
    Purely hilarious. One of the funniest animated shows ever. Can be confusing to follow at some points, but is worth watching overall. Rick and Morty's relationship is great.
  34. May 3, 2014
    One of the best shows I've seen, better than familyguy and robot chicken imho, 3 minutes into watching the first episode and you know you got a winner.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 13, 2013
    In the golden age of narrative TV, cartoons offer countervailing subversive pleasures: They're juvenile, satiric, surreal. Those words all apply to the wild spree Rick and Morty. [23 Dec 2013]
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Fenwick
    Dec 4, 2013
    Roiland and Harmon have put together a finely balanced show, with infinite possibilities that leave the door open for an exciting future.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris E. Hayner
    Dec 3, 2013
    Between the funny characters and the endless possibilities of worlds the two can visit, Rick and Morty has plenty of places to go.