8.0

1. Mar 13, 2014
    Good news, RIPPER STREET fans: the show has been revived for at least a third season by Amazon Prime/UK -- it will stream online first in the UK, then air later on the BBC in Britain and, eventually, BBC America. Thanks to all who signed the online petitions and kept the good word circulating -- more RIPPER STREET is on the way.
  2. Jan 22, 2013
    We Americans love the BBC's historical dramas, and we love their detective shows, and "Ripper Street" gives us BOTH! Plus Matthew Macfayden, master of the ethical giant with zero sanctimony (Prior Phillip in "Pillars of the Earth," e.g.), brooding brawler Jerome Flynn, currently tearing up "Game of Thrones," and sexy American Adam Rothenberg, new to me but already a favorite. The womenWe Americans love the BBC's historical dramas, and we love their detective shows, and "Ripper Street" gives us BOTH! Plus Matthew Macfayden, master of the ethical giant with zero sanctimony (Prior Phillip in "Pillars of the Earth," e.g.), brooding brawler Jerome Flynn, currently tearing up "Game of Thrones," and sexy American Adam Rothenberg, new to me but already a favorite. The women seem a bit less compelling, though Lucy Cohu, who has a recurring role as the governess of a Jewish orphanage, is wonderful, clear-eyed about the evil world she inhabits but profoundly loving, saved from cynicism by a single tenet of the religion she has lost: save one, save the world. The show's premise, that the shadow of the Ripper falls on every subsequent case, is an interesting one; as a resident of Ted Bundyland, I think it's about time a series had something intelligent to say about the western fascination with serial killers, rather than just pandering to it (Kevin Bacon, are you listening?). The show's writing and direction are unusually muscular, without sacrificing complexity, but I have to give top honors to the set designers, who convey a profound sense of the squalor of 19th-century Whitechapel. Not since "The Libertine," has anyone done dirt so well. Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the muted applause here; I think the series deserves an ovation. Collapse
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    An intriguing premise and a rich period setting that is not fawned over in place of a real and compelling script. Mcfayden and the cast are well placed in this engrossing series.
  4. Jan 7, 2014
    CyberGhost I have to respectfully disagree. Everything about this show is fantastic, the characters are what makes the show! I do however agree with not really knowing how accurate everything is but you truly care for the characters and you you can truly sense the plight of White Chapel. Love this show, I can't believe their are not going to do a season 3. Can lose some of the "realityCyberGhost I have to respectfully disagree. Everything about this show is fantastic, the characters are what makes the show! I do however agree with not really knowing how accurate everything is but you truly care for the characters and you you can truly sense the plight of White Chapel. Love this show, I can't believe their are not going to do a season 3. Can lose some of the "reality show" crap and have really great drama like this and Copper (which they failed to renew). Expand

1. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    Ripper Street was clever enough not to hang its hat on the over-examined killings of the five Ripper victims, and clever fans of police procedurals will relish spending eight hours with cops who have to invent the crime-solving tools at their disposal.
  2. Reviewed by: Laurel Brown
    Jan 22, 2013
    It all works. Although Ripper Street does move at the slow pace characteristic of most British dramas, every scene and every line has meaning.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 22, 2013
    The overarching premise of the 15-episode season cracks and crumbles under the slightest scrutiny.