Robin Hood : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.8

1. LouisaV.
    May 20, 2007
    I've enjoyed the series since it started. This is a show that is entertaining and is fun to watch with the whole family. It just keeps on getting better with each episode.
  2. GeorgeD
    Apr 22, 2007
    I want so much too like this show but it is absolutely infested with liberal cliche. The last dreadful episode I saw was a pitiful morality play on torture hoping I will sob boo-hoo for the terrorists held at Abu Graib and Guantanamo. Please, drop the sanctimonious moralizing and focus on the action-adventure.
  3. Sally
    Apr 29, 2007
    How does one say "sucks" in Middle English?
  4. RayW
    May 6, 2007
    I was really looking forward to this series, and I'm a big Robin Hood fan. But the series might as well be called "Law and Order: Sherwood Forest". Every episode is a ripped-from-the-headlines PC take on contemporary events. And you get to watch a guy that looks like he doesn't know how to use a bow play a 12th century Crusader (former Crusader actually) and hereditary member of I was really looking forward to this series, and I'm a big Robin Hood fan. But the series might as well be called "Law and Order: Sherwood Forest". Every episode is a ripped-from-the-headlines PC take on contemporary events. And you get to watch a guy that looks like he doesn't know how to use a bow play a 12th century Crusader (former Crusader actually) and hereditary member of the ruling class lecture you on morality. Collapse
  5. NikJ.
    Jan 7, 2009
    When I first saw this series promoted I was hoping for a production of the quality of
  6. Sep 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most people in the English speaking world have an idea of Robin Hood; a montage of all those traits ingrained from years of stories, movies and tv shows. We know the story. Minor lord returns from the aiding of King Richard in the Crusades to find extreme corruption, graft and abuse of the citizenry in his once idyllic home...robs from the rich and gives to the poor. He's charming, witty, and a damn good shot with a bow; as well as being a man of principle and a leader of men. That about sums it up. The problem with everyone knowing the story is that everyone takes it for granted that everyone knows it. Confused? Probably about as confused as I am over the complete laziness in writing by the writers of this show. A good show grasps your attention from the first, and slowly stews into a thick and creamy sauce of excellence that develops the audiences love for the characters and their eccentricities as well as the style of that particular series. It has a sort of "getting to know you" type courtship phase that strengthens the show / watcher bond. Said good show also throws wrenches in the conventional storytelling machine and places those characters in new and fresh situations that they can find their way, merrily (as in the case of a telling of Robin Hood), out of. What a good show does NOT do is take for granted its audience's knowledge of the characters and hence forgo the entire characterization process. (Here comes Robin, cue overly-heroic music to let everyone know that he's our protagonist!) It also shouldn't deck out the actors of a period show set in the middle ages in polyester hoods, but that's certainly a lesser failure than inserting new characters into a beloved and well-known legend because you feel that Robin could use a sidekick and the show some comic relief. Comic relief? Seriously, it's called relief because it's supposed to relieve all the seriousness and drama surrounding it. I shouldn't cringe every time the so-called Relief steps in and throws in his quib. That is NOT relief believe me. Plus, why the producers determined that there needed to be a comic relief anyway is a complete mystery to me because where is the drama? It's not like the whole production isn't laden with camp: from the sound-effects, to the cheesy over-the-top music, the laughable dialogue, the incredibly poor sets and costumes, one could go on for paragraphs of the comedic value of this show. BBC's Robin Hood fails because it is lazy and unimaginative. It pushes no boundaries save a thinly veiled attempt to placate the people of Middle Eastern descent through the use of interjections of the wrongness of the Crusades from Robin Hood's own mouth. How lazy? you ask. First episode: standard coming home from the Crusades bit. Ok. Fair enough.
    Second episode: the framing of Robin Hood and the subsequent turning on him by the people who are supposed to love him. Hmmm. Shouldn't that be about a dozen episodes down the road, you know, after you've established that Robin and his band have established a good relationship with those poor sods?
    Third episode: Robin Hood finds a baby! I have nothing else to say. That's where I stopped watching because from there it is blatantly obvious that this show is terrible. The finding a baby episode? Really? Where did you come with that writers? Must have thought about that one all day. I am ashamed for the profession, but more so for the producers of this rot that enabled its creation and its spooning to the public. Thanks for ruining a solid premise.
    So, the show gets a 3 from me: 1 point for the Saracen Bow, 1 point for the Scimitar and the remaining point out of my generosity for liking Maid Marian and Guy of Gisborne. Marian is sexy despite a strong jaw, and Guy of Gisborne lays it on so thick that it is hilarious. Rock on Guy! Earn that paycheck.
  7. Jun 20, 2012
    I thought the show was fantastic and then the killed off Marian. I am going to stop watching. What kind of Robin Hood show doesn't include Marian!?!? Ridiculous and bad writing.
  8. WillKH
    Mar 7, 2007
    Witty and fun update of the old legend, but what's up with the Dolce & Gabanna costumes? Those are the best dressed peasants I've ever seen! Also, lots of eye makeup on the farmer girls.
  9. LaurenR
    May 5, 2007
    This is a great show. I like every character. Even the ones I hate. They are all wonderful to watch. Robin Hood has a wonderful smile. It is so refreshing to watch a show that is not about Cops, FBI, CIA, army guys, and doesn't show people's guts and innards.
  10. DonnaM.
    Aug 10, 2007
    My whole family absolutely loves this show....we can't wait til the new season starts......we have a 7 year old son.....and of course he loves it......and keeps checking the stores for Robin Hood figures......keep us posted....anyone know the new season's air date on BBC America....if so send us the info please.....Donna Wigginton
  11. CharredToast
    Oct 5, 2008
    The show is bromidic, ridiculous, but not funny. Robin Hood tries to be serious, but it is hard to take it serious when the show mixes in modern day phrases, people wear polyester prints, and it preaches a laughable morality. Let me get this straight? It would be immoral for Robin Hood to kill the sheriff who tortures, oppresses, and murders people. I found myself saying
  12. Caroline
    Nov 4, 2007
    I love BBC Robin Hood!! It's the best Robin Hood yet! I love all the humor too. They picked the best actor to play Robin, and his side kick, and I love the sheriff. He is a great humorous bad guy, like the bad sheriff in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie.
  13. DebbieC
    Mar 10, 2007
    love it! about time there was some good old fun T.V. none of this medical drama pants! as usual the BBC have made a cheap and cheerful series that will test time, love Jonas as the main!
  14. tg1
    Mar 18, 2007
    great show... i really enjoy watching it!!! Jonas is great as the title role...
  15. DeannaL
    Mar 21, 2007
    Big fun!
  16. ashishn
    Mar 5, 2007
    well cast, acted, and compelling storylines...can't wait for season 2!!
  17. SarahH
    Mar 6, 2007
    This series is FUN! The casting is great and I love seeing the interplay between Robin and Maid Marian....I especially LOVE Richard Armitage as the baddie Guy of Gisbourne... I will not miss an episode!
  18. SteffS
    Apr 11, 2007
    I am loving the show esp. Jonas Armstrong. I think he is very talented and I hope he will become a big star in America!
  19. johnh
    Apr 20, 2007
    Fianlly, a fun show the entire family can watch and enjoy. American TV producers should wake up and take notice. You don't need big budgets, sex, graphic violence or vulgar language to make a show that people can watch and enjoy.
  20. KatieO
    May 28, 2007
    Absolutely awesome!! I love the guy who plays Robin Hood... Whens the next series?!
  21. PatriciaM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Hi, This show is soooooo addicting. My husband and I cannot wait till the next Saturday to see the new episode. We have also turned our children and friends onto the show. I truly hope that it is not too very long when the new season starts. This show is very impressive and I love all the characters for different reasons. Most Sincerely, Patricia Morrow
  22. ac
    Jul 3, 2007
    This is a refreshing twist on an old tale. the cast has done an amazing job. the new characters like Djaq were an excellent idea and lead to a very interesting story. Overall i can't get enough. But where is friar tuck?
  23. KhristianR
    Oct 1, 2008
    This is like the MTV version of Robin Hood. Its bad, the history is wrong. There's nothing wrong with updating a story and injecting it with modernism but this does it awfully and at times its cringy. There's too much wrong about it. Its like a safe version, it doesn't know whether to be serious, to be humourous, it fails on most of the levels. If you like Robin Hood and This is like the MTV version of Robin Hood. Its bad, the history is wrong. There's nothing wrong with updating a story and injecting it with modernism but this does it awfully and at times its cringy. There's too much wrong about it. Its like a safe version, it doesn't know whether to be serious, to be humourous, it fails on most of the levels. If you like Robin Hood and want a serious version watch the one made in the mid 80s. If you want a comedy version, then Tony Robinson's version. Expand
  24. LaurieG
    Jan 14, 2008
    This is one of few shows that my husband and I both love! The plots are excellent, the show features strong women as well as strong men, and they've managed to take these characters out of their former childlike/cartoonlike personas and into totally 3D and realistic people. It's fantastic, and we can't wait for season 2 to start!
  25. KaylaZ.
    Nov 29, 2007
    I got hooked on this show shortly after Saeson One has finished - I went back and re-watched all of the 13 episodes. This show has become an addiction!! I just love everything about it. Jonas Armstrong as Robin is witty, sensitive and convincing. Lucy Griffiths as Marian is strikingly beautiful and plays her part with feminine gusto and sparkle. Although I do confess a certain favouritism I got hooked on this show shortly after Saeson One has finished - I went back and re-watched all of the 13 episodes. This show has become an addiction!! I just love everything about it. Jonas Armstrong as Robin is witty, sensitive and convincing. Lucy Griffiths as Marian is strikingly beautiful and plays her part with feminine gusto and sparkle. Although I do confess a certain favouritism - Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne pretty much stole my heart after the first 3 episodes. His perfectly balanced portrayal of anger and deprivation, showcased through his role as Marian's second suitor, is enough to make you feel sorry for him even after he has run several people through! And you can gripe that the action looks a bit staged at times or that the consistancy with the clothing and time periods is a bit off; overall, this show is brilliant, funny and touching - well worth a watch. But I'll warn you! - you will become hooked!! Expand
    Mar 10, 2007
    I thought it was very entertaining, and the casting well done. Armstrong adds just enought biting wit to make me believe he was the honourable scoundral goody-two shoes of the time. After one ep. I look forward to more.
  27. DanB
    Mar 13, 2007
    Awsome, BBC does it again! 2 thumbs up
  28. TracyC
    Mar 14, 2007
    Never having been a huge Robin Hood fan I was shocked by how much I love this show. I love the humor and the witty comment. Great Show.
  29. debm
    Mar 16, 2007
    loved it!!!
  30. ArielB
    Mar 8, 2007
    Ridiculously soap operatic take on the famous tale, with as many gaping black holes in the plot as in outer space. Look for strange updates on medieval clothing and speech!
  31. WarrenL
    Mar 9, 2007
    Initial episodes impressive, with 21st Century interpretation of old legend. Character development remains to be seen but we'll give it a chance. For now, Robin well done while Maid Marian played like snotty valley girl. Hope for improvement.
  32. MarkD
    Apr 10, 2007
    Ok, as long as you don't take it too seriously. As with the recent Dr Who update the BBC has given us fun, entertaining, slightly camp drama for the whole family. Just don't expect historical accuracy or Royal Shakespere Company acting.
  33. ErikaA
    Apr 10, 2007
    Really like this show - especially enjoy the youthful, pranky energy and the pure sociopathy of the sheriff (he's great). Quite amazing that the firl who plays Marian is only 19.
  34. KatM
    Apr 25, 2007
    A fantastic version of a classic story. The first few episodes are a little slow, but it gets better as it goes on, and it really pics up steam in the last few eps of the season.
  35. BrittanyD
    Apr 25, 2007
    This is a great version of Robin Hood. I love it and cannot wait for more!
  36. Christina
    Apr 6, 2007
    I wanted to like this series, but couldn't even make it through a whole episode. I was bored and the clumsy cliches didn't help either. I grant that it may be difficult to be groundbreaking when you are telling a story that has been told before. But if you aren't going to turn a story on its head, you need extraordinarily charismatic actors and wickedly clever writing to I wanted to like this series, but couldn't even make it through a whole episode. I was bored and the clumsy cliches didn't help either. I grant that it may be difficult to be groundbreaking when you are telling a story that has been told before. But if you aren't going to turn a story on its head, you need extraordinarily charismatic actors and wickedly clever writing to keep things interesting. This series has neither of those things. Expand
  37. CathyC
    Apr 7, 2007
    It's THE BEST Robin Hood EVER!! A bit modern, but big fun!! Bit romance, which is good, and great actors!
  38. AmandaC
    Apr 9, 2007
    I love this new spin on Robin Hood. It appeals to this generation. I sincerely hope there are many more seasons to come.
  39. JessicaG.
    May 31, 2007
    Immensely enjoyable. The characters are lovable. I just...love it.
  40. Andrew
    Aug 20, 2007
    First couple of episodes are very promising. We're presented with the "James Bond" of Robin Hoods - being cool, almost witty, charming the ladies and generally kicking-bottom. But not even a quater of the way into the series, that character (as well as all the supporting characters and the entire show) is reduced to some sort of emo drama drivel with contrived, unrealistic plot lines First couple of episodes are very promising. We're presented with the "James Bond" of Robin Hoods - being cool, almost witty, charming the ladies and generally kicking-bottom. But not even a quater of the way into the series, that character (as well as all the supporting characters and the entire show) is reduced to some sort of emo drama drivel with contrived, unrealistic plot lines and cringe-worthy dialog. A huge disappointment. Expand
  41. RachelW.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I thought this was the best ever series to come on for Saturdays!! I loved it it was really funny and had good storylines. I can't wait for season 2 to start...that reminds me i saw an ad for that just the other day!!
  42. ValentinK.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Awsome show. Charecters change, every aspect of it gets better and better. series one is a blast, series 2 just blows you away, as robin is presented with new enemies and allies altogether. full of action and humor.
  43. CtarA.
    Mar 7, 2008
    This is one of my favorite shows. The humor is refreshing, the acting is above average, the plots (to date) are varied and engaging. Although it may not be super-authentic, it does a good job of avoiding obvious historical faux-pas. With so much reality TV and crime dramas on American TV nowdays, this is a delightful alternative.
  44. JessicaS.
    Jul 1, 2008
    I absolutely love this show! I stumbled across it by chance when I was home sick one day and channel surfing. I love it, a lot. In my opinion, the acting is great, I love the action scenes, I really enjoy the chemistry between the characters and all in all, I recommend it to anybody who is remotely interested in watching it. I even shelled out $80.00 to get the first season on DVD!
  45. LatrobeP.
    Aug 24, 2009
    Did you ever wonder what the A-Team would look like if: 1. They were wearing tights 2. They were lead by a girly man better suited to a role on the WB or a tween vampire movie 3. Mr T was even more illiterate and not half as charming Well, this is it - much "sturm und drang" lots of swords, lots of arrows, but no dead bad guys - feh
  46. MorganL
    Mar 12, 2007
    Excellent for any Robin Hood fan! It is similar to the legends yet adds its own flavour. The cast suits perfectly the characters.
  47. SWeller
    Mar 19, 2007
    Well acted and a lot of fun!
  48. PeterJ
    Mar 23, 2007
    Awful - by far the worst Robin Hood ever done - awful acting; awful accents; ridiculous make-up; Yeek!!!
  49. TaraH
    Apr 15, 2007
    I have just recently started watching this show, but it is absolutely wonderful and I can't wait until the dvd come out in a couple months so I can buy it.
  50. SteveP
    May 13, 2007
    Like many others, I really want to like this series, but find the skinny and goofy leading man a big distraction. As someone who has actually used a bow to hunt, I know that it takes power to pull the string back and I find it hard to believe that BBC's Robin can manage a full pull. That's not my only complaint: the stories are slow-paced and the handheld camera work reminds me Like many others, I really want to like this series, but find the skinny and goofy leading man a big distraction. As someone who has actually used a bow to hunt, I know that it takes power to pull the string back and I find it hard to believe that BBC's Robin can manage a full pull. That's not my only complaint: the stories are slow-paced and the handheld camera work reminds me of Blair WItch. Ugh! Expand
  51. emmap
    May 13, 2007
    This show is great! I love the romantic issues. the actors are great not to mention the guy who plays robin hood is a total hottie!! i cant wait every week to see it at 7:00 it really makes my day!
  52. MaryhelenS.
    May 29, 2007
    I really do like this show but see room for improvement. The acting is quite good although the series started out a bit slow while the characters were trying to find their footing - especially Griffiths's Marian. Keith Allen is brilliant and not nearly as over the top as Alan Rickman's portrayal of the character. I disagree with those who have cited Armstrong as weak and found I really do like this show but see room for improvement. The acting is quite good although the series started out a bit slow while the characters were trying to find their footing - especially Griffiths's Marian. Keith Allen is brilliant and not nearly as over the top as Alan Rickman's portrayal of the character. I disagree with those who have cited Armstrong as weak and found his struggle to do the 'right thing' even when he was 'sick of' it, refreshing. I look forward to another installment of this series to see how it grows. Expand
  53. DarrenM.
    Apr 25, 2008
    Best adventure programme from BBC ever, and true to the "legend", with enough humor and quirkiness to keep it modern, without ruining it!
  54. BrandonS.
    May 17, 2008
    Definitely a very good show. It's like a modern update on shows like Hercules and Xena - action, humor, romance, drama, heroes and villains. But these days there's more emphasis on long-term story arcs and sharper characters. And Robin has that. Though there are fights, they're not gory and overly violent - they're just exciting. Definitely worth checking out.
  55. LarryV.
    Jun 24, 2008
    I really want to like this show, and for me that means being able to suspend belief and "get into" the various plots, dramatic twists, etc. I can overlook some of the dialog (OK, Robin telling Little John to "get a grip" is a bit much for middle ages speak). But please, guys...that Robin and his outlaws could simply wear hats and walk through Nottingham unrecognized stretches the I really want to like this show, and for me that means being able to suspend belief and "get into" the various plots, dramatic twists, etc. I can overlook some of the dialog (OK, Robin telling Little John to "get a grip" is a bit much for middle ages speak). But please, guys...that Robin and his outlaws could simply wear hats and walk through Nottingham unrecognized stretches the credulity a bit too far. Did Maid Marian really pluck her eyebrows and wear makeup? Did Sir Guy really dress in black leather? Give him a mask and he could be Batman! I want to suspend belief and get into the stories, I really do...but the writers are making it so hard. Expand
  56. GabriellaK.
    Nov 11, 2007
    Absolutely amazing show - something for everyone.
  57. Nov 22, 2010
    If it's historical accuracy or realism you're looking for, obviously this is not the show for you. What this show has to offer is fast-paced episodes that are dramatic, poignant, action-packed, and funny, with characters you quickly come to care about and stories that pull you in. Jonas Armstrong is a memorable Robin Hood -- a quirky flawed hero who can be, by turns, noble and obnoxious,If it's historical accuracy or realism you're looking for, obviously this is not the show for you. What this show has to offer is fast-paced episodes that are dramatic, poignant, action-packed, and funny, with characters you quickly come to care about and stories that pull you in. Jonas Armstrong is a memorable Robin Hood -- a quirky flawed hero who can be, by turns, noble and obnoxious, altruistic and egotistical, kind and mean-spirited. Lucy Griffiths is a strong-willed but conflicted Marian; Richard Armitage gives a fantastic performance as Guy of Gisborne, the Sheriff's brutal henchman torn between his ambitions and his desire for redemption, and Keith Allen is an outstanding Sheriff of Nottingham -- hilarious and terrifying at the same time. Other standout characters: Robin's loyal, simple but brave and goodhearted servant/friend Much (Sam Troughton); Allan A'Dale, a con artist who joins Robin's gang after Robin saves him from hanging; and Djaq, a female Saracen slave who becomes "one of the lads." The storylines manage to rise above the predictable "robbing from the rich, giving to the poor" pattern. The action scenes in this season are often mediocre, but the character drama and the witty dialog more than make up for that. Expand
  58. Mar 3, 2012
    Deeply flawed... yet still fun. The biggest two faults with this show are its unnecessary over-the-top stunts (like throwing swords 30 feet and hitting a target) and Robin Hood's inconsistent pacifism. The Sheriff's life is frequently in Robin Hood's hands, Robin says he will not kill a man, and so the Sheriff's reign continues. Okay, I can accept that. Except that when some hapless guardsDeeply flawed... yet still fun. The biggest two faults with this show are its unnecessary over-the-top stunts (like throwing swords 30 feet and hitting a target) and Robin Hood's inconsistent pacifism. The Sheriff's life is frequently in Robin Hood's hands, Robin says he will not kill a man, and so the Sheriff's reign continues. Okay, I can accept that. Except that when some hapless guards (just following orders) get into a scuffle with the Merry Men, they kill without hesitation. I can overlook modernization of language and historical inaccuracies (not a big deal), but this show also has Robin walking around in town square without a hood, and nobody recognizing him. If you can get past all of that... it's probably worth watching. Robin Hood's character is charming (and annoyingly conceited) and some of the dialogue is pretty witty. Most of the casting is pretty decent, and the characters fit well enough. There are even moments where the sheriff's second in command Guy Gisborne almost seems human (unlike the sheriff). Basically... the show is worth a shot. It's flawed, it has a number of stale moments, but at its core, it's something pretty special. Expand
  59. Feb 20, 2013
    This is my new favorite show since the beginning you start to wonder what will happen next, and let me tell you; you will never be disappointed with the events. I am 14 years old and I don't remember the last time I cried so hard. It would be a dream to meet these actors.
  60. Jan 5, 2016
    to be honest, the acting and everything could be better, but I still come back to watch it again and again. It sort of relates to the middle east conflict going on now...

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Alynda Wheat
    For the willing, it's still a story worth hearing. [2 Mar 2007, p.64]
  2. If there is a chink to this series' armor, it is in the casting of Armstrong in the title role.
  3. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    I wish the show had a little more verisimilitude--the peasants' homes look cheap, not poor--but it's zippy mindless fun. [5 Mar 2007, p.37]