Sarah Silverman: We Are Miracles

• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 23, 2013
5.5

1. Dec 13, 2013
    Immature, rude, crude, and a little vulgar is how I would describe Sarah Silverman's "We Are Miracles". This wasn't my issue with this HBO comedy special. I'm someone who can respect vulgar humor. My problem with it is that Silverman never manages to turn all of that vulgarity into anything funny. It's like that as she rambles on about random crap that it never occurs to her that sheImmature, rude, crude, and a little vulgar is how I would describe Sarah Silverman's "We Are Miracles". This wasn't my issue with this HBO comedy special. I'm someone who can respect vulgar humor. My problem with it is that Silverman never manages to turn all of that vulgarity into anything funny. It's like that as she rambles on about random crap that it never occurs to her that she should turn what she is saying into jokes. I also feel like Silverman tries way too hard to be shockingly offensive, instead coming across as just plain irritating. I couldn't find anything to laugh at here and was just all around bored. My personal recommendation is that this just isn't worth watching. Still, I have to give her credit for at least being original. Expand
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    Sarah Silverman can be extremely funny, I first noticed her on the Comedy Central roasts...but this time she was anemic and unfocused. I would rather flip thru the phone book than waste my time watching this show.

Sorry Sarah...try harder.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    " Silverman has done it again good/bad comedy but funny how she does it".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Nov 28, 2013
    I keep hearing that you either love or hate her comedy.

Well... for me she does neither. I don't get outraged at her adolescent vulgarity, nor do I find it funny. I'm completely unimpressed at her attempts at cleverness. I watched We Are Miracles last night. Maybe I smiled once or twice and that's about it. It left me a little bored, uninterested and without anything to reflect on.
    I keep hearing that you either love or hate her comedy.

It left me a little bored, uninterested and without anything to reflect on. Like plain white bread with nothing on it. Tasteless, fills you up while you eat it, no nutritious value what so ever.

Too bad. I really wanted to like it. I like her when she's not scripted, but that show... just nahhh...
  5. Nov 25, 2013
    Wow. I've never watched Sarah Silverman's stand-up, though I've heard she's the kind of person you either love or hate. Well, it seemed like everyone in the club absolutely adored her, as they were essentially laughing at everything she said, joke or otherwise. I on the other hand chuckled once, and cringed for the remaining thirty minutes I subjected myself too. This woman just does notWow. I've never watched Sarah Silverman's stand-up, though I've heard she's the kind of person you either love or hate. Well, it seemed like everyone in the club absolutely adored her, as they were essentially laughing at everything she said, joke or otherwise. I on the other hand chuckled once, and cringed for the remaining thirty minutes I subjected myself too. This woman just does not appeal to my sense of humor. She's filthy but not clever, a fatal combination. If you're like me, watch Bill Burr's new special on Netflix. That man knows how to tell a freaking joke. Expand
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    A extremely stiff delivery and same old stuff, dead babies, Jews killed Jesus her self adulation of her own breasts. I'm surprised they could find 39 people that brain dead to find her funny...but hey it is LA.
  7. Nov 24, 2013
    Although filled with random and, at times, confusing obscenity, Silverman's performance is still indicative of her unique stage presence and cheery attitude and a large amount of laughs.
  8. Jan 24, 2014
    Sarah Silverman is a fine example of how progressivism holds the vulgar and depraved in the highest regard while treating the noble and honorable as scum.
  9. Mar 17, 2014
    Sarah Silverman's always been a great comedian who's unapologetic style of stand-up causes several viewers to shy away or possibly write her off as insensitive. Although some great stand-up comics get away with more crude humor than others, such as Louis C.K. or Donald Glover, for whatever reason Silverman's performances have often been scrutinized for just that reason. The fact that sheSarah Silverman's always been a great comedian who's unapologetic style of stand-up causes several viewers to shy away or possibly write her off as insensitive. Although some great stand-up comics get away with more crude humor than others, such as Louis C.K. or Donald Glover, for whatever reason Silverman's performances have often been scrutinized for just that reason. The fact that she doesn't let her comedy suffer from how people might potentially react is an amazing display of how dedicated she can be at times. For example, at certain points in the show she simply embraces the silence said after a crude joke and works her best with the crowd of only 50 which includes herself and the camera crew (39 without). Which brings me to the crowd. The biggest vice I had with the performance was how it was too dependent on just how the crowd received some of the jokes. None the less, the material was great and although this performance didn't change anyone's life, it's always good to remember that it's a stand-up set and not a groundbreaking documentary. Expand
  10. Mar 15, 2014
    I saw her for the first time on the HBO special. She is horrible. She is just not funny. If she thinks she is shocking anyone and somehow it is funny she is wrong. I can hear the same tasteless jokes and vulgarity on the subway. If the best subject matter she can come up with are the 9/11 widows then she needs to find other work. She isn't worth another word.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Nov 25, 2013
    There is plenty of irony in Silverman's presentations, but her title is sincere.
  2. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Nov 22, 2013
    A brisk and pleasingly outrageous hour-long set taped before a crowd of 39 people in a very small Los Angeles venue, she shows off her ability to segue from naif to sharp-tongued devil in a split-second.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Nov 22, 2013
    It hardly needs saying that Ms. Silverman’s material is not for everybody.... But she isn’t spewing things out randomly, hoping to get by on shock value. The execution is fairly intricate.