Sherlock : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
9.1

1. Jan 10, 2017
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous series turns to the screens in the new BBC One drama Sherlock. In the first episode of the series, “A Study in Pink” the big mystery is whether the string of suicides are actually murders or not. The series opener begins Watson being introduced to Holmes, and becoming flatmates. The show starts off slow, but picks up when the lady in pink is foundSir Arthur Conan Doyle’s most famous series turns to the screens in the new BBC One drama Sherlock. In the first episode of the series, “A Study in Pink” the big mystery is whether the string of suicides are actually murders or not. The series opener begins Watson being introduced to Holmes, and becoming flatmates. The show starts off slow, but picks up when the lady in pink is found dead. Watson and Holmes work together to solve the mystery of the ‘unrelated’ deaths that keep occurring. The show was developed and written by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as the lead roles.
    The show being set in modern times, doesn't take away from what Conan wanted. The episode takes off when Holmes begins singing and dancing, after he finds out the fourth suicide left a note. Holmes brings Watson along because he knows of Watson’s past military service. This is the first time we see Watson and Holmes work together. The two are brought together by a mutual friend and soon become friends themselves. Watson is taken, and meets a strange man, who calls himself Sherlock’s archenemy. Holmes and Watson begin working together to solve the strange series of deaths, that look like suicides. Sherlock and Watson are at the last crime scene, which is a lady dressed in pink. Sherlock’s deductions help lead him to the killer. Sherlock comes face to face with the serial killer, who is determined to murder Sherlock.
    The first episode of Sherlock was intriguing from the moment we met Sherlock. The shows atmosphere and plot line, were very similar to how Conan originally wrote it. The show itself had a slow start, but soon picked up when another suicide occurred. Sherlock’s deduction of people, really helped move the show along. The show had a lot of great moments, and some strange ones too, like Watson meeting an unidentified man who referred to himself as Sherlock’s Archenemy. The modernization of the show was a hit. There’s even a minor character who never gets off of her phone, and Watson has a blog and Sherlock has a website. The show really comes together as a whole and the characters really adjust to the 21st century. The only negative is Watson returning from Afghanistan, and becoming roommates with a consulting detective, whom he barely knows. The show was definitely a success though, Cumberbatch as Sherlock was a great choice. He suits the role, and plays a believable modern Holmes. Freeman who plays Watson, underplays Holmes brilliance, and gives the show some balance between a brilliant detective and an Army doctor. Sherlock has all the characteristics of a good detective story. Significant crime, brilliant detective, worthy opponent, characters are introduced at the beginning, all the clues were given to us, and the solution was logical. The show Sherlock does a good job of incorporating these characteristics and keeping the watcher entertained.
    The first episode had a lot of good parts, and overall was pretty good. The only negative is how Sherlock met Holmes and began solving crimes together. It was rushed, and they barely knew each other and became flatmates the day after they met. Overall the show was well written, and something to watch. The series is definitely something to recommend to others, especially those who like mystery and crime shows. It was very entertaining and it played along with Conan’s stories very well. The show would get a 9.5/10, because of how the two met, and the slow beginning.
  2. Jan 31, 2014
    Loved seasons 1 & 2, but the current one... ghastly! 3 hours to date, and not a single case we can sink our teeth in. Lame little sub-plots with flashbacks (ad nauseam !!) that only a flaming ADD sufferer would appreciate. The recent (2nd) episode gave me a headache and left me bored, bored bored! Bang!
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    Complete rubbish. Can't believe so many think this is intelligent TV. How depressing. In short the Sherlock acting is completely OTT, the script is no more than some bizarre crossword or deduction puzzle that's complete nonsense. If you're an adult avoid.
  4. May 8, 2012
    The wife and I saw the brilliant un-aired pilot to Moffat's Sherlock reboot. It was tightly directed and scripted I like Moffat's work on Doctor Who and was excited about the show. . . . Until I saw the official pilot plodding, dull and stupid -They show the damn murder in the first scene- It was like they sent it to be re-written by a committee of 11 year old american boys and told themThe wife and I saw the brilliant un-aired pilot to Moffat's Sherlock reboot. It was tightly directed and scripted I like Moffat's work on Doctor Who and was excited about the show. . . . Until I saw the official pilot plodding, dull and stupid -They show the damn murder in the first scene- It was like they sent it to be re-written by a committee of 11 year old american boys and told them to dumb it up. I say to the wife "we are prolly are just underwhelmed because of how good the un-aired pilot was." or maybe she said it to me because she is clever like that.
    We watched the second episode "The Blind Banker" another murder in the first scene another give-me pseudo-mystery. Don't get me wrong there is some delightful racism throughout, fortune cookie accents, and inscrutable Asians. So it was not a total loss. the show is fun it is just not smart and worse it assumes we are not smart.
    Then came the "The Great Game" and the worst Moriarty ever. He plays a hyper-controlled super-genius criminal like Jim Carey playing "gay". Speaking of which the already have in the cast the perfect Moriarty Mark Gatiss. When he appeared in the Pilot I thought what a great choice of Moriarty. Not only is Mark number 3 on the list of people I would go gay for. He is wasted on Mycroft. He is the right age a -generation older than Benedict Cumberbatch-, the right temperament, he is a member of the league of gentlemen and can actually act. More importantly he is believable as a math-professor that controls the criminal world like a chess game. The fool they have playing the part, screams and chews the scenery any time he gets a cellphone call. The "I am sOoOo changeable" line had me on the floor laughing and not in the good way.
    I guess I should be grateful Moffat has presented me with a real mystery - why does this show only have good reviews?
  5. Feb 22, 2012
    I am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle mustI am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle must be turning in his grave if he saw his work transformed like that Collapse
  6. osh
    Feb 18, 2012
    I really tried to like this show, but I struggled to even finish the first episode, and I can't bring myself to watch another. I've always loved quirky genius characters, and mysteries are just so much fun, but something about this show kept putting me off. For starters, the production budget was obviously somewhat low, and there was this constant feeling like they were trying so hard toI really tried to like this show, but I struggled to even finish the first episode, and I can't bring myself to watch another. I've always loved quirky genius characters, and mysteries are just so much fun, but something about this show kept putting me off. For starters, the production budget was obviously somewhat low, and there was this constant feeling like they were trying so hard to appear otherwise. The weird visual effects with the text-messages hovering around the characters and the "Sherlock vision" were particular examples of this -- they just felt so gimmicky. The characters weren't especially believable either, especially the police and the first episode's villain, whose face I don'r remember showing a single expression until his unintentionally comical last word. I think the writing is largely to blame, too. The climax scene has basically the same premise as a scene from the Princess Bride, and if either of the characters in it had watched the movie, they would have known just how ridiculous it was. The ending of the scene had me doubting the morality of the supposed good guys, too, and it was played off lightheartedly, which didn't do a very good job of selling the series to me. Anyway, there is already a perfectly fine modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, and it's called House. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.