• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 16, 2001
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 10
8.1

1. Dec 9, 2013
    It's a take on the character we've not seen before on film only in short clip's or flash back's so it was nice seeing a fresh idea about the most iconic Superhero. You see him growing up in Smallville, the hardship's of a teenage life and struggling to cope with various relationship's and learning to deal with his new found superpowers and fighting various meteor infected villains and a side to Lex Luthor not a lot of people are familiar with until late on and he becomes a lot more more the Lex Luthor we know. After a few season's the story goes in a new direction and head's towards a similar story to the justice league story (minus Batman & Wonder Woman) and you meet these characters at the Daily Planet a lot of Superman fan's and a DC fan's are familiar with and know. Expand
  2. Oct 27, 2013
    I won't review every season, but rather sum up my thoughts of the series as a whole.

Smallville was one of those shows that I avoided at first. I thought it was going to be some teen drama and only be loosely based on the comic. But the more season came out the strong the praise it got. Even some of my closest friends were raving about the show. So I went out and rented season 1 4 (4
    had just come out at the time.) I was immediately hooked. Yes it was a teen drama, but it was also a great telling of the origin of Superman and how he went from being a naive farm boy to the Man of Steel. It shows his up, his downs. It shows him make mistakes (and sometime they were really big ones.) The show really goes out of its way to define both Clark Kent & Kal-El.

I feel sorry for Tom Welling. I highly doubt anyone will ever be able to look at him and not think Superman. Michael Rosenbaum as well, is the PERFECT Lex Luther. Casting in general in the show is just fantastic. Not to mention all the story arc and just how much DC mythos the show covered. Everything from Brainiac to Doomsday.

But I will give some critique. I did feel that the show was starting to go a little stale in in the later seasons, aside from season 10 which did a great job wrapping things up.

Overall:
    Smallville did have it's flaws but on the whole it was a great show that does the Superman Franchise justice. I really do wish they would continue with Tom Welling and make a new show showing his adventures as Superman (after all, they did spend over a decade establishing the character.)
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    Superman can't fly.....what a pity! If I remember my comic books, he started flying even as a baby and even his dog "Krypto" flew. This show is a disappointment to the entire franchise!
  4. Jul 2, 2013
    The first season of Smallville provides our first glimpse at Tom Welling's Clark Kent growing up. It is very fun, despite the fact that it has no real arc to speak of and most of the episodes are based around high school monsters of the week. The interactions between the characters and the great cast involved keep it interesting, such as the developing friendship between Clark and Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor and Luthor's own awkward relationship with his father Lionel. The highlights are probably ''X-Ray'' and the finale ''Tempest'', which ends the season on several riveting cliffhangers. Expand
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    Great show Go watch it now u will enjoy every minute of it I liked how they added metallo also other villains
    and I like drama and the romance on it wish it never ended
  6. Mar 28, 2013
    As soon as i started watching I was immediately hooked. I watched so many episodes each day, which led me to notice that very little advancement occurred during the entire first season. It began to seem less of a series as each episode had little effect on the next. Nevertheless, it is a great season, mainly focused on Clark's attempt at understanding his powers while dealing with high school drama. The later seasons,especially after season 5, do get a lot better, Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2013
    As most will know by now Smallville follows Clark Kent, played admirably by Tom Welling, during his teenage years as he starts his evolution into Superman. Throughout this first season we follow Clark as he gradually begins to discover the true extent of his powers whilst struggling to come to terms with the reasons behind them. In a clever twist on the mythology Superman's future nemesis, Lex Luthor, is also to be found living in Smallville and the show is certainly at its strongest when focusing on these two men and their struggles to avoid having their futures written for them.

A huge problem with this opening season however is the over reliance on the 'Monster of the Week' scenarios. Far too many of the episodes followed a similar pattern in which an (un)fortunate teen was affected by the Kryptonite meteorites endowing them with special powers and invariable one or more of Clark's friends and family would find themselves in trouble. These characters are introduced solely for the purposes of just one episode giving a perfect example of lazy writing. The script also lacks energy and humour when compared to shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural with far too much emphasis placed on the types of dull teen angst storylines seen on TV countless times before.

Despite all these faults there often were glimpses that the show could become something better and I will certainly give the show another chance in what is rumoured to be an improved season two.
  8. Feb 4, 2013
    While I do not enjoy some of the plot points of the series, this is an interesting way of looking at Superman's origin. By itself, the show isn't that bad. However, when placed next to everything Superman, it sucks.
  9. Dec 30, 2012
    Smallville was the best example on comic-based series could work in the first 4 seasons. The solid cast also delivered good performances, with Tom Welling playing a believable young Clark Kent, Michael Rosenbaum as an intriguing and ambitious Lex Luthor, Allison Mack surprised us with her original and very interesting character and Erica Durance, who joined the show as a sassy Lois Lane. However, the show went downhill from the season 5 onwards with absurd storylines (Theroux's storyline, anyone?) and too much dwelling on Kristin Kreuk's character, Lana Lang, who turned out to be the show's achilles heel. Not even the addition of JLA references covered up the immense downturn on quality with the departure of most of the main cast members (Michael Rosenbaum's absence hit the show hard, from then on there wasn't a single decent villain to anchor it). It ended as an example of how bad a show can get due to bad writing and planning, dragging storylines for several seasons and adding nonsensical plot elements to further them. Expand
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    An excellent treatment of the Superman mythos. Lots of pretty people and so-so acting. Worth a watch. Tom Welling does a great job, as does Michael Rosenbaum.
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    I thought this series was very good, up until the last episode. It seemed to me that the producers throw out all the principals, and destroyed all that was good about Smallville
  12. Aug 8, 2012
    I like Smallville, I watched a lot of it and it was pretty fun to see the new disasters that young superman had to fight every episode, Tom Welling isn't a very good actor, but he did manage to pull it off in some episodes, in the earlier seasons though, it was kind of boring knowing that there was going to be some sort of 'meteor shower nut' that young superman would have to stop, and that, that would be basically every episode. The series got better as it got older. Expand
  13. Aug 5, 2012
    The acting is so bad in the first episode that it's patheticly laughable but it progressively gets better through out the season but it has still reached a level that I think it's capable of reaching. The story lines flip flop far too often between good and bad stories and I honestly think the show would benefit quite a bit with a shorter season (21 episodes is a killer for any series). It has a ton of potential though and it's a very likeable show. The first episode may turn you off it but you should give it 3 episodes because it does get better. Expand
  14. Sep 11, 2011
    While it might not be as perfect as the other seasons of Smallville this season is still enjoyable
  15. Jul 17, 2011
    Smallville is a pretty great show. Spanning 10 years. Its about Clark Kent (A.K.A Superman). Who knew it could of last this long. The First season was great, and the show seemed to loose its quality at the seasons kept coming. But the last season kind of put the spark back into it. It was a good show while it lasted.
  16. Jun 28, 2011
    The best Superman based TV series to ever hit television. With over 100 episodes, you see Clark kent grow from a young teenager to the man who eventually becomes superman. If I were to only give a review for the first 5 seasons, this TV show would have got a 9 or 10 from me but the later season's really turned me off from the show. They re-used to many of the same elements, such as clark losing his super powers, relationship problems, memory wipes and so many cliche's. The acting was generally top notch with a few bad actors to hit the screen here and there and I feel the show did well with the budget it was given, though for some odd reason it seemed like the special effects were actually better during the first half of the show then the later half. At times the show felt very corny with a predictable plot, this was usually during the later seasons but they did a good job bringing closure to the series in the end. Overall Smallville did a great job as a TV series and deserves to be commended for it. Expand
  17. Jun 16, 2011
    I've been watching Smallville since it premiered in 2001. This is a great show full of action and romance. I can't get enough. I wish it wasn't over :( To be honest though to go back and watch season 1 again it is AMAZING but each episode is a little repetitive so if u decide you want to start watching the series on Netflix just know it gets so much better.
  18. Apr 28, 2011
    Hell yeah, season 1. Great cast and characterization (and Kristin Kreuk, what more could you want?). I feel like with most shows, the storyline gets too convoluted as the seasons pass. Overall though, I would highly recommend this show.
  19. Mar 23, 2011
    Was a fantastic series for 9 seasons. I'm feeling seriously let down by the last season so far. Seems like a weak ending to a strong show. Would loved to have seen him develop more in costume and finally fly for a few seasons. Think they should have some new "power" writers on for season 11 and amp things up for the finale. Don't end with season 10.
  20. Mar 14, 2011
    Good beginning. Season 1 introduces our characters well and sets the scene. It focuses more on individual one-off episode plots at first as we get to know our characters. Well-done. The actress who plays Lana Lang is extremely unfortunate. Yes, she's beautiful but realistically this isn't enough. Her acting is hammy & over the top. The chemistry between Clark & Lana isn't there so it's compensated by long extended looks many times an episode. With the weakness of Kristin Kreuk's acting its hard to believe Clark actually likes her and the pairing of Clark & Chloe seems far more likely. A 7 rating this episode for bad casting of a lead character. Great story-lines however. Expand
  21. Dec 21, 2010
    It almost seems pointless to write a review of Smallville since the show appeals to a very specific, niche group of fans. Of the 5 ratings, the average Metacritic score is 9.8. So...yet another 10 seems pointless. However, what I do want to write about is how rare Smallville is in terms of quality of live action shows based on comic books. Ever since the success of the Batman movie done by Tim Burton in 1989, Warner, who has since purchased DC Comics and done a magnificent jobs re-inventing the comic-based animated series with the Bruce Timm-produced Batman, Superman, Justice League and Batman Beyond programs, took a chance on a couple of live action versions of certain heroes. Birds of Prey wasn't as successful, but the Miles Millar and Alfred Gough-created concept, which initially appealed to comic fans and teenage drama watchers alike, has put a unique, yet sustainable and modern spin on the classic canon. I was never a fan of the Smallville-era Superboy/Lana Lang portion of the Superman mythos, but tying it to an early Lex and making it modern hooked me from day one. And now, 10 seasons later, the series has done wonders in transitioning to Metropolis, Lois Lane and even superb renditions of the Justice League. While Tom Welling may never win an Oscar for his acting ability, he has been the perfect naive farm boy learning his purpose in the world. I can't say enough about the appeal of Allison Mack as Chloe and the transition into Erica Durance's PERFECT portrayal of Lois Lane. I will be sad to see this show end in a few months. If you never got a chance to see this show and had any interest in Superman, buy the series on DVD/Blu Ray and spend time watching it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  22. Oct 13, 2010
    This is a show that seems to have constantly justify its continued existence. Smallville has become a show that barely resembles anything that it was originally but for the most part it's become stronger for it as a unique origin story of the greatest superhero of all time. Very well cast, acted and imaginative. At its worst its structure is repetitive, dialogue unneccessary cryptic and not to the point, suffers from its television budget. Howver at its best it has been a charming drama about family, friendship and responsibility without being preachy, it represents an ideal vision of humanity and its horrors, its a romantic coming of age show, its a sci-fi fantasy about an alien raised by humans who then tries to discover himself. Tom Welling has played Clark Kent perfectly for nearly over a decade and has become a iconic Superman. Michael Rosenbaum as well was the best Lex Luthor ever put to screen. It's now in its final season and should stand testament as the definitive television series about comic book superheroes. Expand
  23. Sep 23, 2010
    The Best Superman TV series Ever IMO. This show is even better than Superman Returns the Movie. Great cast, cool fight scenes( even tho they could be longer ) , great stories. We are in the last season now, season 10, i do hope they continue if the ratings pull way up, i think this show can go on for a few more seasons. I love this show and i enjoy ever min of it. :) Remember folks, Season 10 starts 9/24/2010 8pm Fridays. Expand

Like an ice cube to the temple on a hot day, Smallville startles and refreshes the way "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" did in its early years. Though not as cleverly written as "Buffy," the new series about Clark Kent, tormented teenager, has much going for it: beautiful people from The WB's Burbank assembly line, movie-style special effects, a subtle sense of humor. [15 Oct 2001, p.D1]
  2. Reviewed by: Barry Garron
    Aug 6, 2013
    Purists might balk, but for the rest of us, the latest retelling of the Superman tale is a brilliant blend of tradition and contemporary sensibility. Not only is it a Superman for a new generation, it's a Superman for every generation. [15 Oct 2001]
  3. Reviewed by: Scott D. Pierce
    Aug 6, 2013
    The first hour of Smallville looks fabulous. Now it's up to the producers and writers to tell good stories and mount the show as handsomely as the pilot and maintain a bit of mystery around one of the world's most recognizable characters. [15 Oct 2001, p.C06]