Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.5

1. Mar 18, 2014
    The very best in Serial Science Fiction, high concept story arks, three dimensional characters, impressive special effects/costumes and eminently creative. From the Season 1 master piece "Duet" sessions 7's "In the Pale Moonlight" it is brimming with thought provoking moments, laughs and tears. DS9 Well worth of the praise it gets from the Sci-fi community and of 182 episodes very fewThe very best in Serial Science Fiction, high concept story arks, three dimensional characters, impressive special effects/costumes and eminently creative. From the Season 1 master piece "Duet" sessions 7's "In the Pale Moonlight" it is brimming with thought provoking moments, laughs and tears. DS9 Well worth of the praise it gets from the Sci-fi community and of 182 episodes very few fall short. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2013
    DS9 was my favorite Star Trek series. The plot was very consistent, and many episodes related to each other in a way that has not happened in any Star Trek series before or since. Like Star Trek Voyager, the series had an actual story arc, however unlike Voyager where the ship would pass a region by, and never return, episodes in DS9 would frequently return the viewer to the location of aDS9 was my favorite Star Trek series. The plot was very consistent, and many episodes related to each other in a way that has not happened in any Star Trek series before or since. Like Star Trek Voyager, the series had an actual story arc, however unlike Voyager where the ship would pass a region by, and never return, episodes in DS9 would frequently return the viewer to the location of a previously shown place, because something else had happened. The last seasons of the show were also far more dark than the utopian Federation that the other series took place in.

The only problem I had with it was that DS9, like TNG liked to recycle old plots.

Note: if you are used to Star Trek taking place on a single spaceship, you might be disappointed by this show.
  3. Feb 9, 2015
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine is my favorite television show of all time, therefore I am bias in reviewing it. In this case, I will tell you about the show and why I like it, so you can decide for yourself if you want to watch it or not.

Star Trek TV series and novels have always been about exploring new worlds, seeking out new life, and boldly going where no one has gone before. Deep Space Nine was different in that it took place on a space station and showed us a whole new side of Star Trek, that has redefined the franchise. This show wasn't about exploration, but rather the politics of the future and they were able to do things the other shows couldn't. Deep Space Nine re-introduced some old themes, not seen since the original series, and its writers were pioneers of Science Fiction. This series featured everything from time travel to alternate realities, it introduced us to a whole other region of space, the first stable wormhole in the universe, the mysterious section 31, and it even focused on crime, commerce, gambling, and religion, all set in the future, on board a space station. For the first time we got a glimpse into the politics of the Federation, as well as other races, and we even got to witness a full blown war. DS9 was beyond imaginative and shaped Voyager, the final seasons of the Next Generation, and even future films, but what's it all about?

The story begins on a planet called Bajor, where a strong, deeply religious people have just won a war against the barbaric Cardassians. After nearly 50 years of occupation, Bajor has rid itself of the Cardassians and invited Star Fleet in to help protect them. Together the Bajorans and Star Fleet take control of the old Terok Nor Space Station and re-name it Deep Space Nine. It's intended purpose was to serve and protect Bajor, but that all changed with the discovery of the universes first stable wormhole. The wormhole is a gateway to a whole other quadrant of space and means endless possibilities and dangers. To Star Fleet, the wormhole represents commerce and scientific research, but the Bajorans view it as the home of their Gods, the Celestial Temple.

As the story continues, all kinds of people show up at the station, with the intention of exploring and trading with this new region of space. As for the Bajorans, they worry that all the traffic will bring more invaders, but come to see the stations Star Fleet Commander, Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks), as their emissary, and they put their fate in his hands.

In season 3, a threat unlike any other is detected in the new quadrant. A planetary alliance similar to Star Fleet is discovered, but this new group, the Dominion, is militaristic, xenophobic, and eventually enter into the war of all wars with the Federation.

The reasons I loved this show were many, including the elements of Science Fiction never before used in Star Trek, the amazing new technology and special effects, but perhaps more than anything it was how we get to know the characters on the station intimately, in a way that's never been done before. The more you watch this show, the more you understand them, their cultures, and their situations. As lame as it may sound, I really felt like I was a resident on the station who was included in everything that was happening.

The show has been off the air for 16 years now, but it's not over. DS9 didn't continue into movies, but in books, and believe it or not, it's still going. The first novel takes place days after the series finale and they are still coming. The books are just as good and have so many surprises that I could write about them for days.

Deep Space Nine was everything I ever wanted in a series or franchise and it has shaped how I view Science Fiction, and even shaped the way I write my short stories. This show has been a major part of me for a very long time and I hope that by telling all of you about it, you can experience all the excitement and mystery that I have.
  4. Sep 24, 2014
    This is most certainly the best Star Trek series ever created. Filled with deep characters and original plots, the series also takes a darker and more realistic turn, looking at the unexposed dirty side of the Federation. This show really takes the nitty-gritty social issues of racism and discrimination and highlights them in several episodes, continuing what Star Trek was so famous forThis is most certainly the best Star Trek series ever created. Filled with deep characters and original plots, the series also takes a darker and more realistic turn, looking at the unexposed dirty side of the Federation. This show really takes the nitty-gritty social issues of racism and discrimination and highlights them in several episodes, continuing what Star Trek was so famous for doing in the 60's. Expand
  5. Oct 30, 2017
    This show.... It gets me emotional just thinking about it. This show is possibly one of the greatest television series ever created. Its perfect. Lightning in a bottle, truly. The chemistry of the cast is palpable, the writing and story ark incredible and deep. Its just.... there is something in it for everyone. It challenges you, it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. By the end of theThis show.... It gets me emotional just thinking about it. This show is possibly one of the greatest television series ever created. Its perfect. Lightning in a bottle, truly. The chemistry of the cast is palpable, the writing and story ark incredible and deep. Its just.... there is something in it for everyone. It challenges you, it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. By the end of the series you will feel real sadness, like you're saying goodbye to an old friend. Star Trek, NEH, Scifi at its very best. Possibly even story telling as an art form. Avery Brooks is also a beautiful man and anyone who says different has no soul. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Jun 25, 2013
    Like The Next Generation, this show tends to be morally didactic. But also like its mother ship, Deep Space Nine is richly imagined, with good scripts and great visuals.
  2. Boston Herald
    Reviewed by: Monica Collins
    Jun 25, 2013
    This collection of characters - with all their quirks, quarks and nose jobs - is a winner. The women are strong. The men are sensitive. The life forms are testy. [5 Jan 1993]
  3. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Rick Kogan
    Jun 25, 2013
    Satisfyingly edgier than its cousin "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" premieres ... with a moneyed high-tech look and great special effects, a cast of interesting and weird-looking characters and, wonderfully, a heart and soul. [3 Jan 1993]