• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2
6.0

1. Jan 12, 2014
    This show had a lot of potential. It's a shame it was never given the chance to show how good it really was.
    -----------------------------------------
  2. May 24, 2013
    I think Stargate Universe is the best Stargate show ever! Sometimes the plot was a little repetitive, for example the quantity of 'time travels'. However, it wasn't too repetitive, each episode had a contribution to the history. Moreover, each character had your own psychological evolution in the series.

To sum up, I loved this series! I'd like SyFi bring it back!
  3. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plot overview:

a group of civilians and military personnel step through the stargate after dialing the ninth chevron [each stargate works with a dial containing nine symbols called chevrons and thirty-six constellation pictures] and arrive somewhere they were not supposed to go. The plot deals with the way these people cope with their situation and how it affects them. This spin-off stands away from the original plot paradigm of the series it focuses character development rather than the creation and usage of numerous contraptions typical of the science fiction genre.

FULL REVIEW:

I'm a true sci-fi fan, I've been watching science fiction for 23 of my 27 years of life and that gives me enough authority to say that, for the moment, Stargate Universe is the best North-American Sci-Fi show around. The reason is very simple: IT ISN'T STUPID. Do not get me wrong; SG1 and Atlantis were great (Atlantis not so great, they shouldn't have killed Weir since she was the only true and believable human-being in that expedition); SG1 was cool but it depleted itself and they gave too litle importance to the Ori arc which should have been the main reason for Atlantis' existence. SGU doesn't deal with sides (Goa'uld vs Tauri; Wraith vs Tauri, Ori vs Tauri); it's like populars vs losers in high school, ABSOLUTELY CHILDISH. This show deals with real people problems and adults with problems; there aren't any last-moment farfetched solutions to any of the inconveniences the crew finds, if they can't fix it, they just don't as it is in real life; GATE-BUSTER NUKES don't have any place here; they don't shoot like crazy and they don't go around blowing things up as if they had the same amount of infinite ammo that Schwarzenegger and Stallone had in any of their pointless flicks. And finally, we get to know how people in the stargate universe reproduce; they don't come out of cabbages as I supposed, they do "Fornication Under the Command of the King" like we do... SURPRISE, they posses and use their bananas and muffins too!!! I do think at first, they over-emphasized coital interaction between "the hottest" characters but apparently, writers have cooled down the script a bit [except for the body swiping episode though I don't know for how long].

One thing I really like about this show is the main cast [except for cute soldier boy], they really know how to bring to life their characters: Robert Carlyle and Alaina Huffman are amazing, they blew my mind in the pilot [Rush's reaction to see everyone's eating like animals in the base's mess hall and Johansen's disappointment when failed to resuscitate her bleeding comrade... superb and I've only seen such performance level in Sci-Fi from Mary Macdowell and E J Olmos from Galactica; Luis Ferreira plays the first believable Sci-Fi terrestrian army officer I have ever seen, I got really surprised by him as well as by David Blue, his Eli is a plausible nerd, both characters are really well played... and this SHOW is ABOUT CHARACTERS, immensely small human beings placed in a overwhelming situation that is far superior to their own capabilities: the Stargate is just the pretext to have them put in this place and I'm glad because we have already had 16 years of space cowboys and tin soldiers, It's time we, Gate Nerds, grew up.
  4. Jun 14, 2011
    The first season has a big long nothin'-much-happenin' period, and the communication stones are overused, but overall it's a great show. I much prefer the more serious tone of SGU and the BSG remake to other shows in the SG franchise.

Add to that the amount of stuff going on in the 2nd season and you're in for a corker.
  5. May 12, 2011
    A very, very good sci-fi show - Season 1 is as good a show as any. Very different to the other Stargates (which are basically cartoonish and I'm not personally a big fan of). SG-U has taken the same 'universe' including some of the same characters (albeit largely in cameos) and crafted an utterly plausible action-drama (exceptionally realistic at least by sf standards). Brilliantly acted - Robert Carlyle as always is simply superb but the other actors do a very good job keeping up. The absence of eye-rolling stupidity that seems to plague characters of other scifis is unbelievably refreshing. Will be interesting to see where the plot goes (or even if there is one and it doesn't simply drift off into meaningless like BSG) but right now it's theirs to lose. Expand
  6. May 11, 2011
    Just loved it, shame it's ended when it finally became excellent... :-(
    Especially liked the second season when they cut the boring cr*p and went on with the story.
  7. May 10, 2011
    Took a bit to get into it's grove (good half of the first season), but once it hit it's stride, been quite good- to the point where it's one of the few shows I watch despite lacking cable.

Waste it's been cancelled...
  8. May 6, 2011
    The series started off a little slow, and soap-opera like, but season two has set the show on track to follow a story-line similar in style to previous incarnations of the Stargate franchise. It's a real shame that the SyFy is risking its identity by not renewing the series. It has been showing a lot of promise, and has a huge fan-base. It's my personal favorite out of all of the Stargate series, it's simply more realistic. Expand
  9. Apr 25, 2011
    Too bad no one gave it a chance. The episodes are getting better, but maybe the first 1 1/2 season of character development was too much for some people.
  10. Apr 4, 2011
    Stargate Universe is hands down my favorite of the Stargate series. It is a high quality sci-fi drama without the standard cheese that so often plagues these types of shows. This program gives the feeling of real peril in a surreal setting. It has a darker more gritty atmosphere akin to the Battlestar series. Removing this show after only 3 great seasons is a real disservice to those of us out there that hope daily for the staying power of real science fiction TV minus the silly costumes and cheesy dialogue. It is clear the Syfy network is where good shows go to die. Stargate Universe lends itself well to what science fiction television could be; great drama, real moral dilemmas, fantastic characters and a mysterious ship to get lost in. In short, SGU is a fantastic show for those who facepalm the old ideals of sci-fi tv being wacky effects, uninteresting characters and laughable dialogue. If like me, you're a science fiction fan looking for a more gritty real space drama, with believable characters, subtle effects, mystery and intrigue, Stargate Universe fills that void. Expand
  11. Dec 3, 2010
    The current score is really unfair for a show that's growing very well and has become very good indeed.
    I do agree that it started a little boring, and too much of a soap opera. The 'Chloe' character was really boring at start, to be honest (but that has somewhat changed - thanks to the writing).
    But the 'other side' of this show, the difficulty of their situation, the non-English speaking
    aliens, the bad temper of the team under the circumstances... is just much more realistic than SG-1 or SG atlantis ever was. And don't let me start on the acting: while this has some not so good actors, it does not compare to the first seasons of SG-1 or with SG Atlantis (the actors that performed Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex were just lousy).

There's no doubt that the series copied concepts from BSG, and therefore it doesn't deserve a 10.
    But season 2 is really, really good. There is action, there is suspense, there is science fiction (just as much, if not more, than in SG-1 - and definitely more realistic). I am currently watching SG-1 again, and it is incredible how naive it all is.

Real life is not perfect, and this show entertains because it presents believable characters in unthinkable situations.
  12. Dec 1, 2010
    I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5. I'm tired of StarTrek wannabe utopias. I agree that SGU is a lot like BSG but you can't really compare the two other than to say it's a similar dark dramatic style. Although I have my opinions about the whole SG franchise, I really have only ever watched the movie, and even though I missed out on a lot of the backstory of SGU, I still find it to be a gripping premise. I think if you hold out until Season 2 you won't be disappointed. It's really one of the best written, most stylishly creative sci-fi shows I've seen in years. It's my favorite show right now on TV. Expand
  13. Nov 21, 2010
    I've been a fan of Stargate since the very series with Richard Dean Anderson, Stargate SG-1. Now with the newest installment in the series, I had to see if it's a worthy successor to the Stargate franchise. THE POSITIVE: - Incredible acting - A new and interesting situation/setting gives the creations tons of possibilities of creating a thriving and exciting story. - Appearances by former Stargate actors give it that 'special' touch.
    - Excellent music and sound
    - A Story that not only focusses on combat or exploration, but also that makes you care more.. and get to know the characters.

THE NEGATIVE:
    - Haven't seen any so far.

CLOSING COMMENTS:
    Stargate: Universe is a worthy successor to the stargate franchise. After watching the first season... you'll be begging for more. If you were a fan of the previous series, and you feel at home in the Stargate universe, than I'd 100% recommend you to watch this series.
  14. Nov 15, 2010
    I really like Stargate Universe because of its difference to SG1 and SG Atlantis. SGU's strong point is its gritty reality, dark circumstances, and human fallibility. Comparing this to the other stargate is a grave mistake, its not supposed to be an action filled hour with no strings attached. I rather see it as quite similar to ABC's Lost. This show is about average people dealing with extraordinary events. There is a perfect amount of humour, drama, and action too keep you entertained, but not too much to make you forget about their dire circumstances. Over all this show has more to say than just average sci-fi adventure and if you let be what it is meant to be (not a copy of SG1 and Atlantis) then it shines. Expand
  15. Nov 3, 2010
    i was never a fan of the stargate series, it just wasnt for me. but i saw universe and was like, i will watch the pilot atleast. the pilot and every episode since then has been epic. all the characters are cool, the scifi part is awesome. every episode something brings drama and suspense, and u wonder what will happen next. and just as everything is good for now and the episode is over you see a preview for next week which looks 2x as crazy awesome dramatic suspence epicness then the episode u just finished. it is a series that has won over me from episode 1, and i truly recommend watching from the begining. Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2010
    I have to say out of all the Stargate series â
  17. Oct 23, 2010
    I enjoy the show. The acting is fine, the scenarios are plausible (for Sci-Fi). The idea of using older Ancient technology after the SG-1 and SG-Atlantis time-line is much better than a prequel series.
    But please - get rid of the folk music! It sounds like the producer's kids have been practicing in the garage, and somebody asked if their latest home-spun ballad could be used in the
    show. Those mournful ballads ruin the show for me. Leave the music to the radio stations! I'm rating it at 6, but without the music I'd have given it an 8. Expand
  18. Oct 2, 2010
    Just a few points about the show: Universe is a much more serious show than Atlantis and the majority of SG-1. If your looking for the same style as those, you will be disappointed. The Character development is amazing, and creates a lot of empathy with the main characters. There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or something like Lost, and yes it is a little soapy on occasion, but in a good way.

If you watch a few episodes, and enjoy nail-biting moments, you will not be able to stop watching. Guaranteed.
  19. Oct 1, 2010
    Here's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to be intense. Now I've seen all of the stargate movies, and all of sg1. The reason this show gets called dramatic is because the previous shows weren't serious at all. The whole time they kept it light and funny. The best way I can describe what they've done with the show is this: Stargate Universe is this generations stargate. Fans that have been there from the beginning may not like the change but the fact is universe is the show that will keep the stargate franchise alive. That said, if you don't like the show, don't watch it. There's no need to ruin it for those of us with good taste. Expand
  20. Sep 30, 2010
    This ticks all the boxes for me, i like sci-fi so may be a bit biast, but its definetly got plenty in the story line to go. People are moaning its not got enough to it, but its only just finished season 1, its just warming up!!!

Stories aren't particularly dense or surprising, and some of the conflict feels quite contrived
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Bernardin
    Hopefully the story itself, which finds a band of alien-attack victims jumping blindly through a Stargate and landing on a mysterious spaceship billions of light years from Earth, will eventually transcend this premiere's BSG-lite-ness.
  3. With 19 episodes remaining in this season, there's plenty of time for all this drama to intensify and the characters to sort themselves out as good and not-so-good.