Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 18, 2006
8.3

1. RenataP
    Nov 2, 2008
    I can`t believe this show was canceled!
  2. MaryB
    Intelligent, balanced, personal.
  3. BenB
    Oct 6, 2006
    -Some of Sorkin's best work, S60 is clever, witty, dramtic and funny, often at the same time. It's also an ensemble of fantastic actors who have been given interesting characters to explore. I can't wait to see how things unravel... I hope this show is given a chance to find an audience!
  4. JeffM
    Sep 18, 2006
    Great! Sorkin and Schlamme can do now wrong. How can you not like this cast?
  5. WadeT
    Sep 19, 2006
    Pleasantly surprised. I found the elevating of what seems to be an unimportant (compared to West Wing) area to be quite plausible. Also, who knew that Matthew Perry was that good. Will be watching, and I normally don't watch television much these days.
  6. MikeB
    Sep 19, 2006
    As a die-hard West Wing fan I didn't know what was going to fill that void. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (not a fan of the title) will cater to an intelligent audience who appreciate great writing and an impressive ensemble cast. Thank you Sorkin!
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    Excellent show. As another user stated "I can`t believe this show was canceled!", exactly my sentiment's. It's that good. Why oh why do the Hollywood powers that be never seem to get it? This one was a winner. Hopefully Matthew Perry will return to being funny in his next creation - 'Go On simply ain't cutting it for me.
  8. Nancy
    Oct 2, 2006
    Excellent Show !
  9. C.B.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Best show since Sorkin left WW.
  10. Marcia
    Oct 6, 2006
    Liked this show better than any other new series this season. Surely hope that it makes it past the negative comments, which, I might add, are in the minority.
  11. CodeC
    Oct 9, 2006
    Outstanding show.
  12. JoyF
    Sep 27, 2006
    This is a well put together series thus far. I am impressed with the acting, dialog, and plot. The movement of the way it is filmed is also very smart.
  13. JimB
    Feb 20, 2007
    This show is terrific. I love Amand Peet, Bradley Whitford, Matthew Perry, Steven Weber & Sarah Paulson's interacations. One of the best shows on TV!!! Without a doubt, one of the best shows on NBC.
  14. AnaZ.
    Oct 5, 2008
    The greatest show ever. Incredible cast. Great plots and struggles. It's prolific, funny and strong, powerful. And I'm really sad (and angry) it did not make it to the next season. It should be on for a while. At least five seasons. I love you all who participated in creating it. You've done a great job. Now... make it come back.
  15. dcasey
    Oct 16, 2006
    one of the best new shows this year, imo. And a great replacement for West Wing. I'm glad to see that the folks from that show are back with such a good vehicle.
  16. DonnaZ
    Oct 10, 2006
    I'm extremely impressed with this show. The writing is rapid fire and smart, likewise for the performances. You care about the characters and the situations with which they deal. I've worked in broadcasting for 29 years (though not in sketch comedy) and I think Sorkin's nailed it. My favorite show of the season. NBC, this one needs to stick around. Wait until Emmy time, if I'm extremely impressed with this show. The writing is rapid fire and smart, likewise for the performances. You care about the characters and the situations with which they deal. I've worked in broadcasting for 29 years (though not in sketch comedy) and I think Sorkin's nailed it. My favorite show of the season. NBC, this one needs to stick around. Wait until Emmy time, if you don't believe me. Expand
  17. MichealH
    Oct 24, 2006
    Studio 60 is an excellent show. The actors are incredible; yes, all of them!! The thing I like most about the show is that it feels "believable"; I believe the characters' passion for this "sketch comedy hour"; I believe the love-story between two co-workers that "just won't die"; and I believe the frustrations of each character as they struggle with their lives both personally Studio 60 is an excellent show. The actors are incredible; yes, all of them!! The thing I like most about the show is that it feels "believable"; I believe the characters' passion for this "sketch comedy hour"; I believe the love-story between two co-workers that "just won't die"; and I believe the frustrations of each character as they struggle with their lives both personally and professionally. Tonight's episode (October 23rd) with the young actor showing his parents around the studio (and explaining in detail every area) was heart-breaking. I actually found myself crying as I watched him try to "connect" with his parents, especially his father. He so badly wanted to be "accepted" for what he does; not belittled for it. Now how many of us have been through similar experiences? Or, at the very least, known someone who has?? Or the piece with Timothy Busfield connecting with the elderly gentleman (who they believed had Alzheimers), only to find out not only had he fought in WW II, but had been a writer himself. Classic, Classic. Expand
  18. DaveM
    Sep 20, 2006
    Not nearly as good as I had hoped...several cast members, especially Amanda Peet and whoever was playing Matt Perry's old flame, failed to impress. And Sorkin's got to get off his soapbox, the preaching morality is getting way, way old.
  19. JileneL
    Sep 20, 2006
    Funny and gets better and better!
  20. NancyH
    Sep 20, 2006
    Pilot was outstanding--quite the surprise that it sends up TV--like NBC(S). Great pace and writing. Am not a fan of Matthew Perry's but he's actually right for this role. The most unbelievable character is Amanda Peet--yes, she's confident and daring but the script didn't give us any hints as to how she is this way so young and so assured. Or is she just winging it? Pilot was outstanding--quite the surprise that it sends up TV--like NBC(S). Great pace and writing. Am not a fan of Matthew Perry's but he's actually right for this role. The most unbelievable character is Amanda Peet--yes, she's confident and daring but the script didn't give us any hints as to how she is this way so young and so assured. Or is she just winging it? Hope it develops her character more. Bravo, Expand
  21. BlakeP
    Sep 29, 2006
    wounderful show!
  22. LitaB.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Although Aaron Sorkin has a weird take on the Brits (who doesn't? Mad, bad, interbred snobs the lot of us) speaking as one of them I have loved everthing he has written from the opening moments of Sports Night to the last second of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
  23. Rebecca
    Jul 8, 2007
    every second was worth watching... !
  24. MarinaT
    Oct 8, 2008
    One of the best shows I've ever seen with terrific actors and a great script.
  25. PerryY
    Nov 1, 2006
    I can't believe all the comments coming from those giving low scores. Sorkin's shows have always highlighted their characters to be the best at what they do and how smart they are and this show is no different. The witty one liners are consistent and entertaining. The scale is clearly different than running a country, but within the scope of running a sketch show, it is just right.
  26. DeniseMarieK
    Oct 1, 2006
    very very smart amanda peet's character is wonderful the new power is ...smart with humor
  27. JohnH
    Oct 10, 2006
    Best new program, clearly. I'm curious why NBC put it opposite CSI Miami, though. Hope NBC doesn't get skittish, they have nothing better.
  28. NikyH
    Oct 1, 2006
    This show is clever, funny and brings and excellent observation on what television has become, a must see.
  29. JLitten
    Oct 10, 2006
    Aaron Sorkin makes a triumphant return to television!
  30. timg
    Oct 20, 2006
    finally! A TV show where the writing is important.
  31. Ruby
    Oct 23, 2006
    Outstanding! Studio 60 exudes wit, humor, style that I've come to expect from Aaron Sorkin. Keep it coming.
  32. PatJ
    Oct 26, 2006
    Great, mature writing. Love that it's not "dumbed down".
  33. angelaa
    Oct 30, 2006
    I love this show. And I wish everyone would give it a chance before saying they should pull it.
  34. eDeeB
    Oct 30, 2006
    I love this show. Finally NBC has done something right! I'm addicted.
  35. CarlC
    Oct 3, 2006
    Brilliant! Almost perfect
  36. Jackie
    Oct 3, 2006
    This show is great. The actors have great chemistry together and I love Matthew Perry.
  37. HelenE
    Oct 4, 2006
    Seems to be written for more intelligent tv viewers. Very quick pace and likable characters.
  38. jimbobsunshine
    the bomb !
  39. PattyS
    Oct 7, 2006
    Fast, smart, witty, focused, gives the feeling of being there. I am truly hoping that this show remains on NBC's play list because Perry and Whtiford are a duo to be reckoned with.
  40. richardd
    Oct 9, 2006
    The smartest, best written show on tv. Bradley Whitford and Mathew Perry have terrific chemistry and each one shows deft comedic timing. Amanda Peet once again shows that she has the brains to go toe to toe with bigger stars. Tivo it and watch it twice! Like other Sorkin creations, you never get it all in just one viewing.
  41. BenA
    Sep 16, 2006
    Funny and Intelligent. Cast is amazing. Love it.
  42. GlenA
    Sep 17, 2006
    Clearly Sorkin. The fluid shooting style of West Wing, snappy dialog and playful characters. This might be enough to get me to watch TV again.
  43. David
    Sep 18, 2006
    Best New Fall Show of the season, possibly the best show on tv. Another great hit from Aaron Sorkin, creator of The West Wing.
  44. C.Cotton
    Sep 19, 2006
    I went in not wanting to like this show and to my surprise I did. I liked the pace and the dialogue. I hope it can maintain the momentum of the pilot episode.
    Sep 19, 2006
    just saw the pilot on monday. never watched west wing but i did watch "sports night" and there are alot of similarities. the first episode of studio 60 was funny, interesting, had a bunch of very good characters, and most importantly, made me not able to wait for the second episode.
  46. KristaR
    Sep 19, 2006
    Fabulous! Fast, witty -- true Sorkin style. Peet, Perry and Whitford were great!
  47. Cathy
    Sep 19, 2006
    I think this show has a lot of potential to be a great series. The pilot although somewhat sketchy at times kept me interested and wanting to come back next week. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford already have the chemistry to be a very dynamic duo.
  48. MarkZ
    Sep 19, 2006
    Well worth the wait... my favorite new show so far this season.
  49. JennyR
    Sep 22, 2006
    I love all of the main charicters, and to story line is funny, but also serious. The balance of both is good. I hope it keeps going I really like it. Matthew Perry is really good in his part I was very impressed with him!
  50. SCline
    Sep 24, 2006
    Thank God for Aaron Sorkin.
  51. DaveW
    Sep 26, 2006
    A solid show. Funny in an intellectual kind of way...those who need the laugh track of a sitcom to tell them when to chuckle probably won't appreciate this show. So I'm guessing it'll be cancelled pretty soon. Too bad.
  52. BrianC
    Sep 26, 2006
    Personally think it's the best Programme on TV at the moment, quality, multi-layered storylines that rarely bore, still has a long way to go, but so far has me hooked
  53. AmberF
    Jan 23, 2007
    I am enjoying the developement of the characters each week. Great to see Matthew Perry back on my TV screen. The entire cast compliments each other.
  54. JoaoM
    Feb 2, 2007
    Aaron Sorkin creates another all-time classic with he fast and intelligent writting, and besides that, looks like he made the impossible: make a serie better than The West Wing, if this show doesn't win the Emmy for Best drama, writing and directing, it will be sure that the world is in serious problems.
  55. IrfanB
    Feb 26, 2007
    Great show! Needs to trim down the romantic sub-plots a bit.
  56. lauren
    Feb 7, 2007
    I can't help it, I love this show. Yes, it's pretentious and self-righteous, snarky and a bit obnoxious. Yes, Sorkin tends to write women as seemingly-strong-but-really-just-damsels-in-distress, each waiting for her respective prince charming to come save her from her own ambition. But it's also funny, and charming in spite of itself. Mathew Perry manages to retain his I can't help it, I love this show. Yes, it's pretentious and self-righteous, snarky and a bit obnoxious. Yes, Sorkin tends to write women as seemingly-strong-but-really-just-damsels-in-distress, each waiting for her respective prince charming to come save her from her own ambition. But it's also funny, and charming in spite of itself. Mathew Perry manages to retain his trademark sarcasm without ever reminding us of That Other Guy He Used to Play. The casting is brilliant (though I may be the only one not jumping on the Sarah Paulson train), and if nothing else, we all oew the show a great deal for introducing the world to the adoreable Nate Corddry. Please NBC, don't give up on the one thing that makes me look forward to Mondays! Collapse
  57. mandab
    Mar 14, 2007
    love it!! i wish they would put it back on the air, its killing me not getting to watch what happens next
  58. KalvinJ
    Mar 4, 2007
    Entertaining, but seriously needs to cut back on the romantic subplots and back to the reality of producing a late night comedy show.
  59. CindyW.
    Jun 27, 2007
    My favorite show on television... if only NBC would keep it on.
  60. christianp.
    Jul 2, 2007
    What a shame that this was canceled. This show is a modern calssic through and through. Wonderfully written and acted, it is so rare that something like this comes along. RIP.
  61. BrookeM.
    Aug 18, 2007
    LOVE this show, cannot believe when I heard it might be going off the air!!
  62. Fred
    Sep 17, 2007
    The best is canceled but reality TV lives. My vote is for the best (Studio 60) but the rest, Reality TV lives on. Oh well the TV Gods don't want my vote.
  63. XinL
    Mar 23, 2008
    I really wish they would have made this show more drama than comedy. always a matthew perry fun, and he's doing the job alright.
  64. MatteoW.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Just Brilliant.
  65. JK
    Oct 10, 2006
    Eggscellent - I just hope it doesn't get cancelled!
  66. dlouloudes
    Nov 14, 2006
    I love this show, it's witty, it's riveting with great cgharacters.
  67. LauraA
    Nov 1, 2006
    This is absolutely the best show on TV. Smart, funny, moving - story line makes me want the next weeks episode to come fast. LOVE it!
  68. AndyW
    Nov 23, 2006
    Literate and funny script. Great acting and direction. Social commentary. Believable relationships. It's got it all.
  69. Sean
    Oct 16, 2006
    How can anyone not like this show?
  70. ChristinaA
    I love this show.
  71. John_K
    Oct 17, 2006
    This show is the best thing on TV.
  72. NancyJ
    Nov 8, 2006
    This is my favorite new show! The writing and acting are incredible!
  73. SlotkinsQ
    Nov 8, 2006
    The negative reviews accuse Studio 60 of "taking itself too seriously," but I say thank goodness. I'm tired of watching DUMBED DOWN shows that refuse to takes themselves seriously. Please, just leave us AT LEAST on smart show that's not from BBC!
  74. BrandiP
    Dec 16, 2006
    Amazing cast...I can't wait for Monday to come around so I can see it again.
  75. crystalh
    Oct 23, 2006
    This is a GREAT new show! Give it a chance, it's something different for once.
  76. carrif
    Dec 4, 2006
    this is the smartest show on tv right now. the dialog is constantly brilliant. i'm shocked at how great matthew perry is.....sorkin has done it - again!
  77. VicC
    Oct 24, 2006
    I'm amazed at any negative comments or ratings, I think the show is thought provoking while still being very entertaining. I've been captivated. Very well done.
  78. JoanB
    Oct 24, 2006
    Love this show! The character development has been great especially regarding Harriet. I like the fact that it is not quite a comedy but not quite a drama. I am hoping this show sticks around for a long time!
  79. AaronV
    Oct 25, 2006
    this show is pritty effin sweet
  80. SarahS
    Dec 5, 2006
    this is the only show on this season that I feel I HAVE to watch...I love the sub-plots' twists and turns, some predictable, others not...and there hasn't been an episode yet that hasn't had me laughing out loud! Kudos to NBC for deciding to give Studio 60 the time for the audience to "catch on" to its brilliance.
  81. JoseL
    Oct 25, 2006
    great show, taking to long to build a story line.
  82. ChrisG
    Oct 26, 2006
    Never watched Sorkin's other show... But won't miss an episode of this one... Great, great writing. Perry deserves best acting considerations at next Emmys.
  83. JackieM
    Oct 26, 2006
    I think the writing is amazing. It is a genius blend of intelligence, wit, and funny one-liners. the characters are interesting and I believe Matthew Perry was born to play this role, I've never seen him act so well. The entire cast is amazing!
  84. RickK
    Oct 5, 2006
    Great! The show is one of the best on TV. Perry and Whitford are emmy level.
  85. MFinn
    Oct 5, 2006
    This show is going to be a hit!
  86. JanetK
    Oct 8, 2006
    I love this show. I was a CSI:Miami fan but dropped them like a hot potato, after seeing "Studio 60"! I think that this is a tough time slot for any new show, that hasn't had time to establish a fan base, but I'm sure that anyone that watches "Studio 60" will be hooked!
  87. Dan
    Sep 18, 2006
    I'm curious to see where the series goes, and isn't that really the whole point of the premiere episode; to pique interest? The pilot wasn't perfect (as Bobbo W pointed out below, it can be seen as pretentious at times and it seems like a lot of fuss over what's a SNL-style sketch show), but I found it genuinely entertaining and think it could be headed in an I'm curious to see where the series goes, and isn't that really the whole point of the premiere episode; to pique interest? The pilot wasn't perfect (as Bobbo W pointed out below, it can be seen as pretentious at times and it seems like a lot of fuss over what's a SNL-style sketch show), but I found it genuinely entertaining and think it could be headed in an interesting direction. Expand
  88. LonnieB
    Sep 18, 2006
    Didn't think I would like it, but pleasantly surprised
  89. BobW
    Sep 18, 2006
    This show has a snap, pacing, intelligence and wit. And it's made for TV?
  90. jw
    Sep 19, 2006
    Oh it had been too long already! How fitting that it is Sorkin himself that comes to rescue us now from the tremendous void created by The West Wing's retirement. Like the West Wing (and Sports Night and The American President before that), this is essentially the creative equivalent of an All-Star Game, with elite writers lobbing up great lines for elite actors to smash out of the Oh it had been too long already! How fitting that it is Sorkin himself that comes to rescue us now from the tremendous void created by The West Wing's retirement. Like the West Wing (and Sports Night and The American President before that), this is essentially the creative equivalent of an All-Star Game, with elite writers lobbing up great lines for elite actors to smash out of the park. Remember Michael Douglas declaring that people "don't drink the sand because they're thirsty, they drink because they don't know the difference" ? That theme is dealt with in different context here, but just as effectively. Like Whitford and Busfield, Matthew Perry seems to have been born to read script by Sorkin & Co. So does Amanda Peet, who floats easily through scenes as the latest in a series of smart female roles from this writing team. Fellow Sports Night fans were no doubt pleased by the nod to one of those roles with the return cameo by Huffman (as herself, in Looking-Glass fashion). After yet another summer of non-television, how joyous it was to be revived by programming that is worthy of television's often squandered power. Sound overly dramatic? Have you SEEN what passes for commerial television? Is Studio 60 really that good? Is the rest just that bad? I think both. Expand
  91. RachelJ
    Sep 19, 2006
    Loved the pilot. I am a huge Mathew Perry fan, and along with all the other stars on this show, I think it will go places.
  92. DuaneL
    Wonderful! Witty! Can't wait for week 2. Saturday Sportsnight Live
  93. StevenS
    Sep 19, 2006
    Mathew Perry is amazing in this role. In a few years we'll be saying "Chandler who?"
  94. PhyllisP.
    Sep 19, 2006
    I have loved Aaron Sorkin's writings since Sports Night [and since I am a 66 year old grandmother, I'm obviously not his target audience] Which leaves me to the only criticism.. have the actors slow down and speak more clearly so the wit and wisdom can be heard.
  95. JanW
    Sep 21, 2006
    Sorkin is always a bright light in the Vast Wasteland. It remains to be seen if this great cast can rise to a 10.
  96. MarioC
    Sep 21, 2006
    This show have a lot of potencial............. Dejenlo Desarrollarse !!!! Do not Cancel it !!!!
  97. KristyS
    Sep 20, 2006
    I loved it. I thought it had a great cast.
  98. AJC
    Sep 20, 2006
    This is an excellent show. I don't care if only 13 million people watched the pilot. We fans will be loyal to this show! It's one of few smart, network primetime shows.
  99. AnnieM
    Sep 20, 2006
    Ah, at last! Television for adults. I missed out on The West Wing, but I won't be missing a minute of Sorkin's latest. Excellent writing, solid acting...even the music was outstanding. Just watching this made me feel smarter and classier.
  100. LelandK
    Sep 20, 2006
    By far the best show of the year! It has it all: Celebrities, acting, drama, comedy and music. What more do you want from a great show?

1. There are more than a few well-made dramas this season, but "Studio 60" -- with its intelligent dialogue, ironic humor, brilliant acting and Schlamme's inspired direction -- lays claim to being the most exciting new show of the season.
  2. Sorkin brings the same intensity and political sensibilities to the story.
  3. Here's hoping that the strong whiff of sanctimony in the pilot of "Studio 60" is blown away by fresh air in future episodes.