Suits : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 23, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.7

1. Jul 18, 2011
    It's a glitzy look at high powered lawyers. Basically it's Wall Street redux. Suave, arrogant, succesful prick teaches neophyte the rules of the big boys game. Gabriel Macht has it down pat, even to the oleagenous walk, and the self centered hauteur of Mr. Gecko. The law shown is basic TV 101. What we are supposed to be fascinated in is the inside look of a business that is interested inIt's a glitzy look at high powered lawyers. Basically it's Wall Street redux. Suave, arrogant, succesful prick teaches neophyte the rules of the big boys game. Gabriel Macht has it down pat, even to the oleagenous walk, and the self centered hauteur of Mr. Gecko. The law shown is basic TV 101. What we are supposed to be fascinated in is the inside look of a business that is interested in winning, while writing wrongs on the way. "The Good Wife" has much more intelligence and honesty about the amoral workings of the legal profession. Expand
  2. Jun 24, 2011
    The writing is solid, the actors are likable. I've personally lost interest slick 'Wall street" style aspirational programming. I actually know people like this. In real life they are shallow, money obsessed, sociopathically materialistic, and so fundamentally unhappy that when they smile you have to start worrying about what they're going to do to make you as miserable as they need youThe writing is solid, the actors are likable. I've personally lost interest slick 'Wall street" style aspirational programming. I actually know people like this. In real life they are shallow, money obsessed, sociopathically materialistic, and so fundamentally unhappy that when they smile you have to start worrying about what they're going to do to make you as miserable as they need you to be in order to feel superior. People like this are culturally destructive and we really need to stop encouraging them. However, since I'm pretty much the minority in that view, I'll give it the five the writing deserves and move on to something that suits my interests. Expand
  3. Sep 3, 2012
    This show has the potential to be entertaining, but it left me bored after the first two episodes. There needs to be a faster moving plot for it to succeed. Harry's Law and other shows about lawyers are in the lead right now.
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    Never as smart as it could be, and hardly as funny as it should be Suits is all style, all pizzazz and people wearing $5000 suits (take a wild guess of how I know the exact figure).The some substance we do manage to come across is shrouded under its uninteresting garb and misplaced punchlines.
  5. Aug 6, 2015
    It's slick and it's smart. Suits is a refreshing show that is able to capture the imagination and mix comedy with drama in an appealing way. The characters are admirable as is the show. Many of the story line's are realistic whilst there consequences are also portrayed accordingly. However USA's reputation to limit plot development in favor of many separate stories is also in actionIt's slick and it's smart. Suits is a refreshing show that is able to capture the imagination and mix comedy with drama in an appealing way. The characters are admirable as is the show. Many of the story line's are realistic whilst there consequences are also portrayed accordingly. However USA's reputation to limit plot development in favor of many separate stories is also in action throughout the first season of Suits. This is the main problem with the series and sadly, it limits the potential of Suits. Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2014
    Overrated! Watch House of Cards the Aussie version of Rake instead. There is some good dialogue and the plot is reasonable but the character development is non-existent, that half baked macho workplace/Machiavellian politics is simply cringe worthy (ripped off from Mad Men most probably). All of the characters are fundamentally similar. The actors are all right, but are limited by the dullOverrated! Watch House of Cards the Aussie version of Rake instead. There is some good dialogue and the plot is reasonable but the character development is non-existent, that half baked macho workplace/Machiavellian politics is simply cringe worthy (ripped off from Mad Men most probably). All of the characters are fundamentally similar. The actors are all right, but are limited by the dull setting-pish posh offices in a big city. Music is all right, story isn't too bad I suppose.
    House of Cards and/or Rake would make for a much better few hours in front of the box.

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Jun 23, 2011
    It hasn't yet proven that it can find consistently satisfying things to do with the legal drama (Harvey's "closing" scenes are fun though I can see them becoming a bit of a crutch).
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jun 23, 2011
    On a scale of TV series that shoot for the high end of mediocre, USA's Suits fares far better than the recently introduced TNT legal drama "Franklin & Bash." The guys in Suits are more likable, and the legal stories a little more grounded in reality.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 23, 2011
    No one expects "The Good Wife," but if the show is aiming for balance, it needs to step up its court game.