The Americans : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 30, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.4

1. Jul 20, 2015
    Bad casting blows a good premise, especially the gay lead. Who do they think they're kidding? There is suspension of disbelief then there is just onscreen stupidity such as this show features trying to pass that actor off in this concept!
  2. Feb 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG, for anyone to take this seriously, they must think that the FBI are a bunch of bumbling idiots. It's simply not believable that Gadd's secretary is that thick, never mind those amazing wigs that stay on in all conditions, and that the head of an FBI unit lets an old woman into his flat hours after being kidnapped - it's all just plain silly. Although the acting and setting is great, the storyline stretches even suspended disbelief to its outer limits - ridiculous, just ridiculous. There's even loonies on this thread here supporting these two hapless Russians, even though they continue to assassinate Yank after Yank - what a world, LOL Expand
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for the pilot, or maybe I was worn out from watching all 13 episodes of House of Cards, but I couldn't get through this first episode, especially when they started with the flashbacks. Glad so many people like the show.
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    I would like it better if the episodes ended with cliffhangers. The plots each week seem to be self contained pretty much. It took me a while to wrap my mind around the fact that they are cold hearted killers. Kerry is so hot I wish the guy was hot too. Homeland is more exciting.
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    I like the premise and the possibilities. Unfortunately, this like many "retro" shows is that the writers think we have been saying "Awesome", "Seriously", "Amazing" and countless other phrases since 1920. I wish someone who was ALIVE and speaking in the 1980s would review the writing so that I would not be so distracted by the dialogue.
  6. Apr 6, 2014
    I'm mixed about the show, I have seen the first season and some of the second. The directors lack of detail when it comes to keeping everything time era accurate is not good. In the first season they had a scene where there was a lot of cash. I found it ridiculous they used 100 dollar bills that came out in 1996. In another scene a woman was wearing rock & republics which came out in 2002.I'm mixed about the show, I have seen the first season and some of the second. The directors lack of detail when it comes to keeping everything time era accurate is not good. In the first season they had a scene where there was a lot of cash. I found it ridiculous they used 100 dollar bills that came out in 1996. In another scene a woman was wearing rock & republics which came out in 2002. I just saw an episode where they were using a modern mustard jar. All mistakes you wouldn't see in a well directed show such as Mad Men. The plot line is okay at times show could definitely use improvement and a more detail oriented director. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    [A] smart espionage drama.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Long
    Feb 1, 2013
    The Americans has potential. The way it uses recent history as a reflector of modern deceits while bouncing the concept of patriotism around mixes nicely with the hang-by-your-fingertips story turns.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 31, 2013
    It's tense, engrossing, mildly ludicrous--and worth checking out before the Cold War melts. [11 Feb 2013]