• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: May 26, 2008
5.8

1. JerryG
    May 31, 2008
    I found the series to be very interesting if not true to the original book. The parts about the cover-up was a definite improvement from he book. That being said th ending was so far out of left feild it was in another movie. But all in all you should give it a try.
  2. JudyT
    May 30, 2008
    Mediocre, not as interesting as the original mostly because it was too convoluted with the old government conspiracy that went nowhere.
  3. KenH.
    May 27, 2008
    For sci-fi fans there's some fun to be had watching this very improbable storyline if you turn your brain off. The movie stumbles several times with a boring "military conspiracy" plot that should not have been written into the story at all. Unlike some of the professional reviewers, I quite liked the science lab procedural scenes. Most of the technical jargon was at least trying to For sci-fi fans there's some fun to be had watching this very improbable storyline if you turn your brain off. The movie stumbles several times with a boring "military conspiracy" plot that should not have been written into the story at all. Unlike some of the professional reviewers, I quite liked the science lab procedural scenes. Most of the technical jargon was at least trying to be scientifically accurate. Unfortunately the plot goes off into total la-la land in the last 30 minutes and there's are some gigantic plot holes that would make almost any sci-fi fan frown. A missed opportunity for all those involved in making this film. Expand
  4. raichah.
    May 28, 2008
    In the last half hour, involving a dying character, a body part and a total disregard for the laws of gravity and physics, I burst out laughing. Other than that, this tedious talker had very little entertainment value.
  5. ConnorB
    May 29, 2008
    While never quite growing suspenseful enough for a theatrical motion picture, "The Andromeda Strain" manages to transform Crichton's best seller into a believable, albeit far-fetched, joy ride.
  6. BobW
    May 27, 2008
    Despite capitalizing on 37 years of improved special effects, the mini series actually regresses in story telling.
  7. TerryD.
    May 28, 2008
    Let's see, other than the bad script, terrible casting, cheapoid production, and horrible direction, this is a darn fine mini-series. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the definition of mini-series; a device to cram 2 hours of story into a 4 hour (or more) time slot. So this thing doesn't drag - oh no.... So what's all this mean? The remake of The Andromedia Strain is nothing Let's see, other than the bad script, terrible casting, cheapoid production, and horrible direction, this is a darn fine mini-series. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the definition of mini-series; a device to cram 2 hours of story into a 4 hour (or more) time slot. So this thing doesn't drag - oh no.... So what's all this mean? The remake of The Andromedia Strain is nothing but trash, plain and simple. And what really amazes me is that the Scott brothers are aassociated with this turkey - they should know better. Expand
  8. EricM.
    May 28, 2008
    Horrible. Attempting too many subplots, unconvincing dialog and acting, and an embarrassingly unthoughtful plot line that tries to be politically edgy. Rent the original instead.
  9. DaveE.
    May 29, 2008
    I'm feeling generous today or it (the rating) would be lower. Good actors /bad acting. Too many loose ends and second rate special effects. (The Birds? Ugh) Total waste of 4 hours I could have spent watching Twilight Zone reruns.
  10. JeromeR
    Jun 18, 2008
    Awesome!
  11. TriciaB
    Jun 3, 2008
    It sucked. It lacked the "gee-whiz" of the original (not to mention the book) by failing to explain ANY of the science taking place in either version of the original, and by substitutiing the lame notion that a wormhole somehow transported the bug to earth. Crichton made the science understandable in the book, and respected the reader enough to offer a challenge. This movie just offers an It sucked. It lacked the "gee-whiz" of the original (not to mention the book) by failing to explain ANY of the science taking place in either version of the original, and by substitutiing the lame notion that a wormhole somehow transported the bug to earth. Crichton made the science understandable in the book, and respected the reader enough to offer a challenge. This movie just offers an opportunity for a nap. Expand
  12. BrianH
    Jun 4, 2008
    This was the most pathetic remake I have seen. Some talented B-list actors should be embarrased. The green and red moving across the grass was lame. The line about acidotic being because of too much stomach acid is god-awful. The writers, director and producer should subject to watching this over and over again.
  13. Nemol
    Jun 5, 2008
    Not bad for TV fare. I highly recommend getting a commercial free version. Infinitely more watchable. Benjamin Bratt as one of the worlds best microbiologists makes me roll my eyes. The casting blows. Maybe I've just known to many scientists. And obviously the casting director hasn't known any. Thank God the book was so good.
  14. BrandonS.
    May 28, 2008
    What a disappointment! I tuned in because I am a huge Andre Braugher fan, and I enjoyed the original film version of this story. Unfortunately, the lead actors in the miniseries are abysmal, the writing is amateurish, and it's just a boring old miniseries. Big disappointment.
  15. PP
    May 29, 2008
    Poor remake, should not have been made.
  16. JRC.
    Jun 16, 2008
    After awhile you just need to stop indulging all those writers "What if's". "Ooh! What if the where attacked by sharks next!?" "Sharks? Their in an under ground bunker in the desert." "How about ducks then?" Just get on with the end of the show already!
  17. Jul 6, 2014
    In 2008, The Scott brothers, along with the master of the mini-series, Mikael Salomon, decided to remake the 1969 debut novel and 1971 film, The Andromeda Strain, written by famed Jurassic Park author, Michael Crichton. The film was in serious need of an upgrade, and while the new technology really enhanced the film, making it all the more believable, the updates to the story along withIn 2008, The Scott brothers, along with the master of the mini-series, Mikael Salomon, decided to remake the 1969 debut novel and 1971 film, The Andromeda Strain, written by famed Jurassic Park author, Michael Crichton. The film was in serious need of an upgrade, and while the new technology really enhanced the film, making it all the more believable, the updates to the story along with the new characters that were introduced, really did the original story a disservice. The basic story was not changed, just modernized, and for that we are very thankful. The story was always a terrific tale of Science Fiction and an early message about the damage we are doing to our planet. I like how the story was updated and I loved the technological advancements. What I didn't like was how much they changed the cast. They wanted to make them more diverse and I don't have a problem with that, but this is not a story that focuses on individuals, it's more about the virus, the technology, and the human impact on our planet. In that sense, I felt it hurt the series, but the technology enhanced it, evening things out. The original novel and movie were 4 stars, and so is the remake. It's different, but there wasn't much harm done, the way you often see in remakes. I think Michale Crichton would have approved. Expand

1. Each part has edge-of-the-seat moments, thanks to some admirable performances as well as several intriguing new plot twists that inject surprise at key moments.
  2. This mini-series actually improves on the original 1969 Michael Crichton sci-fi non-thriller, which spent too much time in a fab lab in the desert and not enough inside the icky green virus—or outside, where the government was covering up its biological-warfare experiments.
    A&E's The Andromeda Strain is just a very expensive, very cheesy retread.