The Blacklist : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.8

1. Nov 6, 2013
    Spader's dialogue (congrats writers) and Spader's acting are worth an 8 ranking for this show. Even the very to somewhat less realistic story circumstances and plotlines can be overlooked. Spader is the show and makes it worth watching. Sadly the female lead is really mediocre by comparison, both in terms of the dialogue and in terms of her acting ability. There is no chemistry at allSpader's dialogue (congrats writers) and Spader's acting are worth an 8 ranking for this show. Even the very to somewhat less realistic story circumstances and plotlines can be overlooked. Spader is the show and makes it worth watching. Sadly the female lead is really mediocre by comparison, both in terms of the dialogue and in terms of her acting ability. There is no chemistry at all between her and Spader, either love, hate or any other strong emotion. She reminds me of one of the innumerable women who play cops, all lightweights to their male counterpart. Sadly, strong female characters, women like those found in Southland, Major Crimes or the Killing are in a whole other acting league. Too bad with a good female lead, this show might have been a 9 or 10. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2013
    This is an excellent show that is very well written and acted. I must say, that after the first episode I did not like it much, however now It is probably in my top 5 favorite shows.
  3. Jan 8, 2014
    Amazing story, I'm at episode 6 at the moment at I just can't stop watching. This series has amazing acting and a nice original story. Reddington is amazingly played.
  4. Sep 13, 2015
    This is my new favorite show and I enjoy binge watching it! I honestly watched it during my commute and played it through my car speakers. Not the smartest driving habits, but this show is worth it!
  5. Oct 10, 2013
    I don't know if you remember James Spader as Alan Shore from Boston Legal, but allow me to tell you that seeing him in court was almost like seeing Shakespeare in person. Now, I'm not personally a fan of Shakespeare, but we can't deny his brilliance and all the works that have stemmed from his. Alan Shore's speeches were shakesperian in that they were so brilliant and had so much longevityI don't know if you remember James Spader as Alan Shore from Boston Legal, but allow me to tell you that seeing him in court was almost like seeing Shakespeare in person. Now, I'm not personally a fan of Shakespeare, but we can't deny his brilliance and all the works that have stemmed from his. Alan Shore's speeches were shakesperian in that they were so brilliant and had so much longevity that if you removed them from their surroundings and just used them as words on a page, they would still be brilliant. Well, Alan Shore is back in the Blacklist as Raymond Reddington. He's every bit as brilliant, as witty and as smug, and let me tell you, James Spader was born to play smug.
    The Blacklist is a highly intelligent new drama about a man so smart, and so dastardly that he has conceived a plot to use the FBI as his own personal hit squad, taking out all of his criminal competition. He walks right into the FBI's HQ, and turns himself in, because he knows his value to them. After all, he's Raymond Reddington, the most wanted man in the world. Genius show, you must watch it.
  6. May 7, 2014
    Blacklist suffers principally from miscasting in the female lead. Megan Boone just doesn't have the earthy toughness of, say, Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs. Her porcelain beauty just doesn't fit. As for Spader, he will always be Spader the actor on screen, as the persona of his characters is eclipsed by the man himself. I've come to think of this as John Wayne Syndrome, and many of ourBlacklist suffers principally from miscasting in the female lead. Megan Boone just doesn't have the earthy toughness of, say, Piper Perabo in Covert Affairs. Her porcelain beauty just doesn't fit. As for Spader, he will always be Spader the actor on screen, as the persona of his characters is eclipsed by the man himself. I've come to think of this as John Wayne Syndrome, and many of our most popular actors suffer that benign affliction. Expand
  7. Sep 28, 2013
    The Blacklist is an amazing, intense, well-acted, well-written, and well-directed. James Spader and the female lead (I forgot her name) are amazing together. I highly recommend this show
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    The Blacklist is basically about James Spader being a jerk to everyone around him because everyone else knows less than him about his secret plans of being a master-criminal. He's smug about most everything and, because of the plot, he's always right about things and they mostly go his way eventually seemingly no matter how bad they might look. It works a few times, but takes the air outThe Blacklist is basically about James Spader being a jerk to everyone around him because everyone else knows less than him about his secret plans of being a master-criminal. He's smug about most everything and, because of the plot, he's always right about things and they mostly go his way eventually seemingly no matter how bad they might look. It works a few times, but takes the air out of things a bit after that.

Most of the criminals that he schemes to take down are pretty interesting though, so it's a pretty good watch.
  9. Sep 29, 2013
    The Blacklist stands out. There are so many new shows this season, so many comedies, so many "cop" dramas that are "different" but this one is truly different. It's a really interesting show that I can see going somewhere. On the other hand, some parts of the acting are just really blah, they just make you go, "Really?"
  10. Oct 12, 2013
    This show is definetly fall's best new drama. It's filled with twists and turns, action, adventure, suspense, and last but not least thrill! Every episode creates a different story-line and at the same time recaps others and creates one hell of a story-line! i sense that reddington is her father with all the hints he's dropping especially in the latest episode but i hope they create a moreThis show is definetly fall's best new drama. It's filled with twists and turns, action, adventure, suspense, and last but not least thrill! Every episode creates a different story-line and at the same time recaps others and creates one hell of a story-line! i sense that reddington is her father with all the hints he's dropping especially in the latest episode but i hope they create a more cliff hanging conclusion as this season's number of episodes is limited. Expand
  11. Oct 19, 2013
    Impressed so far. Will have to see how this shows continues to play out. Spader's character is very interesting but some the acting is not. But the story still grabs my attention
  12. Nov 11, 2013
    Who can not love James Spader? He is such a good actor taking command of any scene he is in. The show manages to keep my interest with decent characters, good action, and plot twists. I will keep watching this one.
  13. Oct 13, 2013
    The show has made a dazzling start. Lead Raymond 'Red' Reddington, portrayed by James Spader plays a
    wanted man, by the FBI, who over the last 20 years has made a so called 'Blacklist' of dangerous men including terrorists and politicians, who, with the help of Elizabeth Keen, who is played by Megan Boone, aim to take down and make society a safer place.
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    The show has a great plot and, with James Spader as the leading actor, should not be worried of being anywhere near canceled as long as the story keeps being solid. The procedural one-case-at-a-time style is working well because there's a side plot that is potentially very related to the show's two lead characters. Great show!
  15. Mar 3, 2014
    This serie it's amazing! I can't wait to see how ends season 1.... Intense!! I like the way Red manage the drama, he is such a great actor and Liz. Please don't stop!! We want season 3...4...5.....
  16. Nov 6, 2015
    James Spader is the standout in this very watchable show. Quite violent considering its a network show so it satisfies the gritty criteria. A large amount of belief suspension is required but Its snappy and funny too. Agent Keen is unfortunately miscast here. Doesn't have screen presence or chemistry for me. Maybe she'll grow into it.
  17. Oct 17, 2013
    OK, I am totally hooked on The Blacklist and am loving the fact that it has gotten a full season order! At this point, I would love to see it go beyond one season. Yes, there are elements of the show that are far-fetched and unbelievable, and would probably never happen in real ife. Dramas are serious, but aren't intended to be a true-to-life reality. I believe TV (as well as film,OK, I am totally hooked on The Blacklist and am loving the fact that it has gotten a full season order! At this point, I would love to see it go beyond one season. Yes, there are elements of the show that are far-fetched and unbelievable, and would probably never happen in real ife. Dramas are serious, but aren't intended to be a true-to-life reality. I believe TV (as well as film, music, art) is inherently escapist. When I watch or listen to something, I don't expect exactness or reality. What I do expect are things that will keep me interested and entertained. The Blacklist does this very, very well. James Spader is as close to perfect as one can get when it comes to acting. It seems like almost everything the man touches turns to gold. His tremendous skill is a huge reason why The Blacklist is so ridiculously great. Unrealistic aspects aside, the stories are incredibly engaging. There's an terrific mix of drama, action, suspense, mystery, and even comedy. The music used in the show is a very nice bonus. Hands down, this is the best new show of the 2013-2014 TV season, and I hope it sticks around for a while! Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    James Spader is fantastic in this wonderful new drama. Just when it seemed like you had the pilot figured out, another plot twist came into the picture. The pilot had it's moments when it seemed to drag, but luckily they were few and far between! I'm really looking forward to seeing where the writers take this show. It looks very promising.
  19. Oct 15, 2013
    Wow, all i can say really is Wow! I don't usually properly follow tv shows and when i do i dont bother watching every single episode but I'm soo hooked on this new show ive made sure to watch every episode and continue like this, I love it!!! Can't wait each week now for the new episodes! :D
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    The Blacklist is an intense, fast paced, amazing, action packed drama with good plots and a story line that will make you question everything. If any new fall show deserves to be watched, it's definitely this.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    RickHendrikse Sep 24, 2013 9 This is the way to drop a new show to your audience. Episode one's overlapping story (thug-helps-police-and-want's-a-deal) is a one-episode story but at the same time uncovers a multi-episode and maybe season long plot in a way that you want to see next episode.

James Spader is believable as a non-cannibalistic (so far we know) Hannibal kinda guy, a guy who looks totally in control, even though he's been arrested by the FBI as a most-wanted international criminal. He planned the whole thing and want to cut a deal, he'll help the feds capture a even bigger fish, but only wants to do business with first-day-on-the-job agent Keen (Megan Boone).

While everyone, perfectly understandable, will praise Spader's performance, don't forget Boone's part. She can really keep up with her co-star, is attractive, mysterious and overall there is a feeling where you really want this girl to kick *ss!

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series. What's the deal with Keens husband? What is the connection between the two main characters? How about Keen's past? And how will Diego Klattenhoff, playing a FBI cop "in charge", fit into the whole story. So far, so good!
  22. Sep 23, 2013
    The story line and the lead players are well chosen. HOWEVER the production values stank. Oldfashioned viewers like to be able to discern what the actors are saying...it is NOT just about the action.

Too many of the supporting actors subscribed to the school of acting based upon mumbling, prattling but at all times striving to LOOK compelling. Very strange, as the star of the show was speaking clearly and could be followed.

Some of the responsibility must rest with the sound engineers, who seemed not to be able to balance and achieve clarity.

For pointers, they should watch the commercials, as their sound values made the program seem very shoddy.
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    This a very good show and I give it a 10. I don't usually rates shows above a 9, but this show takes it all. Very thrilling and and had my attention through every second. Also like almost every police drama, there are many sub plots that take place and are introduced with the first couple of episodes. The subplot of her husband's secretly life is brilliant! Mondays are going to be hype atThis a very good show and I give it a 10. I don't usually rates shows above a 9, but this show takes it all. Very thrilling and and had my attention through every second. Also like almost every police drama, there are many sub plots that take place and are introduced with the first couple of episodes. The subplot of her husband's secretly life is brilliant! Mondays are going to be hype at 10 pm!!! Expand
  24. Nov 18, 2013
    Spader is one of my favourites....and he does not disappoint in this show. A+++ for actors, themes, and entertainment...love the show! The writers are doing a wonderful job so far....keep up the good work.
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    The best show on TV bar none. James Spader is riveting as he doesn't even have to speak to captivate the screen. If there is a better show on TV I haven't seen it. Word of mouth will propel this show to number one. Mr. Spader wins an Emmy. Don't miss it.
  26. Oct 3, 2013
    I really like the actors and writing. The plot seems to be solid. It gives you enough info each week to show there is some depth to the storyline. I find it entertaining, well acted and good writing.
  27. Feb 17, 2015
    Pretty good opening season. It got a bit slow during the middle but quickly picked back up. Stick with it and keep watching. Let's just say that everything is not as it seems... You think that you have the story figured out but there's way more to it.
  28. Oct 26, 2013
    Oh my GOD! I love this show. FBI Agents, Most Wanted and Unknown Most Wanted Criminals, A Criminal itself. This one I hope keeps it rhythm because is a good one, and i wanna know what is about this Elizabeth Keen obsession of Red. What made it so attractive to me was the fact that this criminal turns in to the FBI just to help them? Nah im not buying it. I always wanna know more when anOh my GOD! I love this show. FBI Agents, Most Wanted and Unknown Most Wanted Criminals, A Criminal itself. This one I hope keeps it rhythm because is a good one, and i wanna know what is about this Elizabeth Keen obsession of Red. What made it so attractive to me was the fact that this criminal turns in to the FBI just to help them? Nah im not buying it. I always wanna know more when an episode ends, it leaves me with more questions every Monday. Totally worth it people, if you hadn't watch it yet you Should, even though im asking to myself, You really haven't seen it YET? Expand
  29. Jan 28, 2014
    After quite a while, a show worth watching on major network. I find this very entertaining and follow the Reddington (Spader) character traits - his way of looking at life. Sometime feel envious, that why I am not like him. I guess thats one of the accomplishment of a show - getting a character you feel for.
  30. Jan 16, 2014
    The show is clearly Spader's vehicle and one wonders how long the writers as well as the supporting players will be able to keep up with him. So far so good, but again I wonder how long it can last.
  31. Sep 24, 2013
    This was a pleasant surprise. The plot is barely believable but I didn't care. The pacing of the show was just right for an hour of spy games and plot twists.

James Spader was just fantastic and his personality is the center of the show. I doubt it would work without him. Just like the events of the show, he dominates every single scene(that's a good thing) The plot reveals were

The plot reveals were interesting and well done.

NBC is starting to win me over..(if only they kept Prime Suspect!!)
  32. Sep 23, 2013
    This show is looking to be the best show this fall! The characters red and lizzy were interesting. Had good action intense moments. Hope it can keep it together because the plot sounds awesome. Hope it gets better with each episode
  33. Jan 16, 2014
    After half season on the way i must say that this series is top notch. Everything is working great, cast, story, action. I am enjoying watching every episode. Megan Boone and James Spader are very good. If they keep it like that, this will be one on the best new series.
  34. Oct 22, 2013
    Personally, I love this show but I fear it could grow a bit old unless there are a few more secrets and revelations a bit quicker. The two main actors do a great job, but others are lacking.
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    Tha Blacklist is walking for the right direction. The pilot was brilliant: writing, directing and acting with Spader and the new hit TV star Megan Boone. The show is building its way for a bombshell. The funnt situations put in a comfortable situations to the audience: It's easy to watch. The only question is, right now the show is so good, withouth a doubt is the best new TV network show,Tha Blacklist is walking for the right direction. The pilot was brilliant: writing, directing and acting with Spader and the new hit TV star Megan Boone. The show is building its way for a bombshell. The funnt situations put in a comfortable situations to the audience: It's easy to watch. The only question is, right now the show is so good, withouth a doubt is the best new TV network show, but how the show's storyline keed the audience after we figure out what is the relathionship Red-Liz, and the Liz's husband secret? If they put the revealing of this secrets (and others) for the winter or the season finale, what will be The Blacklist for Season 2?? Expand
  36. Oct 28, 2013
    James Spader shines in this action packed show that keeps you coming back for more! He has always been able to find characters that are off the beaten path and the Blacklist has provided him with another great role.
  37. Nov 17, 2013
    Absolutely the most fun new drama on TV! Look forward to Monday night TV again....James Spader is wicked good. Each and every week leaves you saying WOW did that just happen and wanting to see the next episode immediately!
  38. Nov 28, 2013
    Definitely a great show to watch! I was very skeptical with the same ol same, woman cop as the lead role, but James Spayder adds the much needed intrigue, witty dialog and awesome acting to move this series to the top.
    The fam and I are soon to be long time fans of this one.
  39. Dec 3, 2013
    This is the first time I've watched James Spader at the helm of a show as he captivates the audience and entices us to follow him through his journey. I must say it is a pleasure to watch with intelligent story telling and creative character development this show is a must see for anyone who enjoys a well written well acted thriller that creates unforgettable characters and a story whichThis is the first time I've watched James Spader at the helm of a show as he captivates the audience and entices us to follow him through his journey. I must say it is a pleasure to watch with intelligent story telling and creative character development this show is a must see for anyone who enjoys a well written well acted thriller that creates unforgettable characters and a story which will keep you on your toes and begging for more. The writing is masterfully crafted keeping spader mysterious yet relatable, cold and intellectual sometimes even psychotic yet someone who's motivations are justifiable and easily relatable. The first ten episodes have built a story and characters which are unforgettable exciting and just plain fun to watch. I look forward to what this team has in store for us next. The best way I can properly describe it would be the intrigue of person of interest yet with a more gritty and realistic setting while also allowing for a character study of Raymond Reddington which reminds me of Game of thrones in the way that when the show wants you to feel a certain way toward a character specifically R.R. (empathy, a sense of envy toward his brilliance, his lifestyle, and his self confidence which stems from his ability too control any situation or person through force of will and wit alone.) This show has shown true potential and I can't wait to see what they do next 9 out of 10 only because shows I've enjoyed in the first season have as of lately gone to and I don't want to be heart broken if the greedy producers at nbc this up by dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator. Expand
  40. Dec 7, 2013
    The Blacklist, I found, was a very interesting show, but with a very unrealistic concept. The beginning appeared to be quite action packed, and a perfect concept to keep the show going. Throughout the middle of the Season it slowed down quite a bit, episodes didn't connect, and were quite standalone, not making it a show that you need to follow. At the end of the Season it was very actionThe Blacklist, I found, was a very interesting show, but with a very unrealistic concept. The beginning appeared to be quite action packed, and a perfect concept to keep the show going. Throughout the middle of the Season it slowed down quite a bit, episodes didn't connect, and were quite standalone, not making it a show that you need to follow. At the end of the Season it was very action packed, but only used a villain that was introduced IN THAT EPISODE.
    Overall the season was very interesting, some characters were pretty typical of a network show, but still kept me entertained.
    So a nice 8/10
  41. Dec 7, 2013
    This show is absolutely brilliant! The way the FBI are portrayed is very realistic, and Reddington makes the whole show. He is absolutely amazing, I am hooked! Cannot wait for the next season!!
  42. Dec 11, 2013
    The Blacklist is my favourite new show of 2013, which has seen some tough competition emerge. Character development is brilliant and continually building on the basics that were established early on. Each episode has a different twist that keeps you glued to the show, and James Spader is just the perfect character.
  43. Jan 16, 2014
    I'm really enjoying the series james spader's character is very good.
    the show is amazing, intense, very good...very good...I really like the actors and writing.
  44. Jan 18, 2014
    I rarely get attached to a show or want to write a review, but this show is AMAZING. I was NOT a Spader fan before this show but I am now. It seems he has truly grown into the perfect actor. Whether he is speaking or simply looking at you, in The Blacklist, you feel mesmerized - he has really made the character of Red his own. The lead female Megan Boone is okay (I keep seeing her withI rarely get attached to a show or want to write a review, but this show is AMAZING. I was NOT a Spader fan before this show but I am now. It seems he has truly grown into the perfect actor. Whether he is speaking or simply looking at you, in The Blacklist, you feel mesmerized - he has really made the character of Red his own. The lead female Megan Boone is okay (I keep seeing her with short hair on a few episodes of Blue Blood) but when both of these two actors come together - the show truly shines. They have wonderful chemistry.

I am also a fan of Parminder Nagra who was so brilliant in the short lived Alcatraz (also a very good show) and I feel they need to give her a larger role.

Finally, for those who mention the violence - yes, there is a lot of it, but I think it is an integral part of the plot and moves the action along at a brilliant pace.

Let's hope they keep this one on for a few years - network TV tends to cancel their good shows way too fast and keep the horrible ones on for years.
  45. Feb 14, 2014
    Very good, its not one of the best series of course but the mystery in it is very good and very entertaiming, i suggest it to anyone ,does who dont like it are pretending to be some movie and tv knowers but they are wrong. Sorry for bad english
  46. May 19, 2014
    Ok boys and girls, the major networks can produce and intelligent, intriguing, captivating show when they want to as well. James Spader is as good in this as any actor in any current series, period I love the character Red. He is not alone though, whoever plays Lizzie is great too and I like the rest of the cast as well. The plots are fun and the central theme keeps viewers guessing. ThisOk boys and girls, the major networks can produce and intelligent, intriguing, captivating show when they want to as well. James Spader is as good in this as any actor in any current series, period I love the character Red. He is not alone though, whoever plays Lizzie is great too and I like the rest of the cast as well. The plots are fun and the central theme keeps viewers guessing. This is a fun show, I hope they don't dumb it down. Expand
  47. May 18, 2014
    Jesus Christ! James Spader performance in this show is incredible. While the effects could been better, 'The Blacklist' still offers an entertainment, likeable and awesome TV serie.
  48. May 22, 2014
    By far, this is the best show on TV. I looked forward to Monday evenings. It is going to be a long wait until fall. I have them recorded and watch then often. The dialog and acting is a TEN.
  49. Sep 25, 2014
    Being in the military and knowing intelligence officers in the civilian sector and government. This show does correctly portray what kind of sectors and pockets of intelligence gathering groups there are. It is not a long stretch at all to have a hand full of people in this case a set of FBI individuals of a particular task work for some ranking department of justice or defense persons.Being in the military and knowing intelligence officers in the civilian sector and government. This show does correctly portray what kind of sectors and pockets of intelligence gathering groups there are. It is not a long stretch at all to have a hand full of people in this case a set of FBI individuals of a particular task work for some ranking department of justice or defense persons. These "clusters" can become organized and disbanded quickly or stay intact depending on funding, goal/objective or necessity.

I have only enjoyed a hand full of TV shows, as I do not watch cable but I do watch this show through Netflix.
    I only started watching shows in the last year because my wife is doing acting.

David Spader does a phenomenal job doing what's called minimalist acting, whereas his scenes of emotional portrayal are strong and vibrant because his character is normally stoic. Meaning every facial twitch and motion gives off a lot of his characters intentions. I wouldn't change a thing about him. The back drop of his character is believable as there are individuals who deal in contracting deals of legal and illegal activities. His character is of the illegal nature, who has conjured a very high rank among the black market.

His daughter Elizabeth Keen is very emotional and actually works very well with David Spaders character and I'll explain why. The character Elizabeth Keen being a very inexperienced profiler and having only schooling as experience explains her emotional hiccups in the story line and play off of David Spaders minimalist acting and actually makes his acting more intense. It is like having a hyper barking out of control chihuahua next to a strong demeanored pit bull whereas the louder and more out of control Megan Boone becomes the more in control David Spader perceptually becomes, the contrast compliments each other. Making his character inevitably more of the leader-esque experienced mastermind type.

The show is very good in my opinion, seemingly more to do with actions than another show I finished watching a few months ago, Breaking Bad which seemed to lean more on emotional distress than anything else...which definitely took away from the bullet points of the story becoming more of a drama instead of an adventure show which I think it tried to hit.

The Blacklist to me is a great adventure show that keeps a decent pace. Not to fast and not to slow. Along the way introducing great "villains", from the blacklist. The show could last for a 100 episodes plus, willing the critics and viewership supports it. You might as well back this show now as it would be a shame to look back and wish that there were 5 seasons you could scour through looking for some interesting tales and quips to ponder.
  50. Dec 12, 2016
    The Blacklist is the wildly innovative new crime drama that took network television by storm four seasons ago. The show did so well in the ratings in fact, that Netflix shelled out a ton for the exclusive streaming rights, but was it a good investment, lets find out. Raymond Reddington (James Spader) is number one on the FBI's most wanted list. There isn't a crime that this formerThe Blacklist is the wildly innovative new crime drama that took network television by storm four seasons ago. The show did so well in the ratings in fact, that Netflix shelled out a ton for the exclusive streaming rights, but was it a good investment, lets find out. Raymond Reddington (James Spader) is number one on the FBI's most wanted list. There isn't a crime that this former government agent hasn't committed, so everyone is shocked, when after years on the run, he turns himself in under the condition that he speak with Elizabeth Keen (Megan Boone), an agent who just started working at the FBI, that very day. Eventually Reddington comes to an understanding, that he will provide information about the worst criminals out there, from what he calls his blacklist, but he will only do this for Agent Keen. On the surface this show is ingenious and was originally very addictive. The writers of this show have a way of developing the bad guy that would put Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to shame. Some of these guys have committed acts and exhibit personalities like you have never seen, but they all fail in comparison to Red. The show is extremely addicting, but it is somewhat narrowly focused for a continuous show. What I mean by this, is that the show features continuously running story lines and you have to see every episode to keep up, but these are such a small piece of each episode, that the series almost plays as though it were episonic. Some of these story lines run in circles and drag out throughout entire seasons, long after the audience has figured them out, as a viewer that can be quite frustrating. All that aside, James Spader is the star and he is as good as he has ever been. Most actors come across their career defining roles early on, and its somewhat unusual for someone to find the character they will forever be associated with, after they've been doing this for decades, but much like with Anthony Hopkins and Hannibal Lechter, James Spader has found his role. Spader will be forever known as Red and for good reason. The bottom line, sometimes the story lines are frustrating, but James Spader is as good as it gets, particularly on a network show. The writing isn't always amazing, but the character development for the Blacklist is top notch. This show is unusual in that it's more about the personalities than it is about the actual stories, but that really is the point isn't it, something different? Expand
  51. Aug 28, 2014
    The best new show this fall without a doubt and NBC is alive again. The show has hooked me from the start and it has proven to be an amazing show. The series is darker than most broadcast shows as some of the cases are often disturbing and a lot more odd. James Spader does an amazing job as Red, the best new character of the fall. Even though he's an evil man, he's so damn funny and veryThe best new show this fall without a doubt and NBC is alive again. The show has hooked me from the start and it has proven to be an amazing show. The series is darker than most broadcast shows as some of the cases are often disturbing and a lot more odd. James Spader does an amazing job as Red, the best new character of the fall. Even though he's an evil man, he's so damn funny and very cunning. He steals the show and he is so very interesting. Megan Boone does a fine job, even though viewers tends to over criticize here. Her character might not be as interesting as Spaders, but her character is important in the show. The rest of the cast does a good job with their characters. The show got at it's best when it went to the mythology just like poi. The Tom story line was awesome and it really put the show on another level. The ending was also great and it added even more mysteries to the show. The show is great at adding the right music at the right time. In every episode, there is at least one song. They also makes the best episode promos. Very interesting promos with the right amount of intrigue. The first season offered a lot of mysteries that still need to be addressed, but I think most of them will be revealed in season 2. I'm really excited for season 2. Expand
  52. Jun 8, 2014
    The Blacklist has proven throughout the season to add a new twist to the common TV action series. Through the use of suspenseful story lines and new twists this series has continued to keep viewers on the edge of their seats. As a story line there are elements that are a bit far-fetched for the hyper critical viewer but the authors continue to provide the audience with an action packedThe Blacklist has proven throughout the season to add a new twist to the common TV action series. Through the use of suspenseful story lines and new twists this series has continued to keep viewers on the edge of their seats. As a story line there are elements that are a bit far-fetched for the hyper critical viewer but the authors continue to provide the audience with an action packed story line that keeps them coming back for more.
    The Blacklist has made for an excellent series throughout season one providing the audience with twist after great twist making for one of best series for 2013-2014. I hope The Blacklist can come back for an even better season 2 in the coming year.
  53. Jun 24, 2014
    Cuando crees que sabes lo que va a pasar (El FBI captura al malo y el episodio termina feliz.) Aproximadamente faltando 10 minutos para que el capítulo termine, te da una vuelta sorpresa, terminando en un hecho dramático, suspensivo o sorpresivo, haciéndote esperar para el próximo capitulo.
  54. Nov 10, 2014
    Really a fun show, even if the female lead is a bit over the top. She is tempered in the second season, though the ongoing sub-plot is a stretch. Still, it's so much better than most of what's on the air, and James Spader is delicious.
  55. Sep 9, 2014
    Absolutely smashing! James Spader acts with his eyes. One forms an opinion at the beginning of each episode, only to have it turn on its head. The plot is well written, and the music and the background songs are great. I was wondering what after Breaking Bad...? I guess my question is answered.
  56. Sep 23, 2014
    Spader is simply brilliant. The series on a whole is very good, albeit there are some episodes which would have been improved by simply not airing. I feel 22 episodes is too many for a TV series. Why air so many, surely less is more?

Overall I would highly recommend this series, it is clever and fresh and with strong script and Spader is just too good not to watch this series.
  57. Sep 27, 2014
    I really want to like this show but why are they making the agents so gulliable? I am ten minutes into Season 1 Episode 4 and I so grateful that these idiots aren't protecting me. I really hope they stop dummying things down.
    A FBI profile that can't tell Spader is her father??? Come on... I knew it after the first episode. God knows if they have actually 'revealed' it on the show and it's already started season 2. Please realize your audience aren't a bunch of idiots. Challenge me, just a little.
  58. Oct 21, 2014
    James Spader as Reddington is brilliant. With a range of two emotions--angry and whatever that other one is--Megan Boone is completely out of her depth, as in absolutely dreadful. The fact that her skills haven't improved since season 1 has made The Blacklist difficult for me to watch. The wooden performances of some of the other cast members serve only to make the mediocre writing andJames Spader as Reddington is brilliant. With a range of two emotions--angry and whatever that other one is--Megan Boone is completely out of her depth, as in absolutely dreadful. The fact that her skills haven't improved since season 1 has made The Blacklist difficult for me to watch. The wooden performances of some of the other cast members serve only to make the mediocre writing and plot holes more noticeable.
    The higher score is for Spader, who brings the only value to the show.
  59. Nov 2, 2014
    The Blacklist is a fascinating show. I was captured by it from the first episode. However, it was a big mistake to kill off Agent Malik. She was a big part of the show for me. What was the problem? Did the writers think she competed too much with Liz for our affections? Her death took a lot out of the show.
  60. Mar 19, 2015
    An enjoyable show with some good performances, especially James Spader. Harry Lennix on the other hand is really bad - he delivers his lines like he is constipated and is reading them from an auto-cue. Not since the dreadful David Harewood in Homeland have we seen such dismal acting. Lennix's character should be killed off as soon as possible!
  61. Feb 2, 2015
    Its fresh new take on crime drama series. It features some exemplary acting by James Spader. The story line is consistent, full of action, suspense and great dialogue. Its overall a brilliant show. MUST WATCH!!!!
  62. Mar 6, 2015
    This show is absolutely incredible in every aspect but one. Megan Boone is awful. She's a terrible actress, who's hindered even further by the writing of her character, FBI Agent Elizabeth Keen. It seems the writers have a checklist of every female stereotype that exists, and took great care to check every single box as the series goes along. Hopefully they stop trying to make her an overThis show is absolutely incredible in every aspect but one. Megan Boone is awful. She's a terrible actress, who's hindered even further by the writing of her character, FBI Agent Elizabeth Keen. It seems the writers have a checklist of every female stereotype that exists, and took great care to check every single box as the series goes along. Hopefully they stop trying to make her an over emotional basket case who has absolutely no ability to critically think, and a strong role model and agent. Expand
  63. Apr 7, 2015
    James Spader makes this show - as everyone agrees. His brilliance - undeniable and seems was only amazingly discovered by the world after "Boston Legal" became hot. Well now he has morphed into yet another facet of sheer genius here. The shock and aw of what he will do without hesitation - (shooting high ranking officials in their home when they consider themselves untouchable) is whatJames Spader makes this show - as everyone agrees. His brilliance - undeniable and seems was only amazingly discovered by the world after "Boston Legal" became hot. Well now he has morphed into yet another facet of sheer genius here. The shock and aw of what he will do without hesitation - (shooting high ranking officials in their home when they consider themselves untouchable) is what lets this show break through the "ho hum glaze" of cop TV dramas and thrusts it right to the peak of its niche.

I love his cleaning lady too! Sure - It has its over-the-top "Hollywood" sequences that make you wish they hadn't gone there. But you must keep in mind, it is a fictional TV show with writers that have their limitations, as well.

Now if it is to last on "the throne", Boone HAS TO GO! We are SICK of her whinny baby attitude and that stupid husband that just won't die! PLEASE Kill him off and move on! Lizzy can stay ONLY IF THEY CAN RE-TUNE HER TO HANG WITH THE CALIBER OF ACTOR SHE IS SIDED WITH. Maybe do a car wreck or shooting injury that leaves her in a coma, and when she awakes, she can act?

If nothing else, the brilliant execution and total character immersion - so naturally, yet "deeply" mastered by Spader, is well worth the price of admission. He is the series. And love it or hate it - Everyone will agree to that fact.
  64. Apr 13, 2015
    I love it!. James Spader is excellent as Reddington.
    The characters have a good depth.
    The plot twists keep you interested and engaged.
    The writers are amazingly skilled
    I hope it never ends
  65. Aug 19, 2015
    honestly the acting is great...a little predictable but interesting to watch. James Spader and Megan Boone are a great duo ... even tho some things get annoying like her asking who she is ...
  66. Oct 27, 2015
    Spader holds his own and carries this show !!!! He is great from start to finish !! They are holding out to long on admitting lizzy is his daughter tho!!!
  67. Oct 31, 2015
    I think most people agree that Spader carries the show and people are wondering why Megan Boone is even on the show. A few thoughts that I'd like to get people's opinions on. I do like the cast of characters Redd has at his disposal. For the most part they are a varied collection of oddities that makes the show kind of fun. Aram is starting to become a puppy love sick guy for Samar. Do youI think most people agree that Spader carries the show and people are wondering why Megan Boone is even on the show. A few thoughts that I'd like to get people's opinions on. I do like the cast of characters Redd has at his disposal. For the most part they are a varied collection of oddities that makes the show kind of fun. Aram is starting to become a puppy love sick guy for Samar. Do you think this might be worth character development for these 2 just as a light distraction once in a while? I'm not sure if anyone else is salvageable? Expand
  68. Feb 5, 2016
    Both my husband and I love this show and that makes it a winner. Good puzzles to be solved and dynamics to work out which can keep our interest for a long time.
  69. Feb 21, 2016
    This show has crept into my top 10 as i have watched it more and more. Not since 24 i have i seen a show that keeps you watching as well as The Blacklist. I am sorry to the people who feel this show is "unrealistic". 80% of the most popular shows and movies are not actually possible. Get over yourselves.
  70. Mar 15, 2016
    the show is awesome! James Spader is amazing as always! .. Boone is doing a great job and I thing she is very talented her face is very expressive.. the rest of the cast are really good....The story is beautiful.
    I dont watch shows usually because usually TV is lame but this show is really great and I hope it continues...
  71. Nov 22, 2016
    One of my top must watch shows and it keeps getting better and better each season. I've seen most of the reviews and agree to some extent on some of the topics, like 'is he or isn't he the father', I feel it is a story line that needs to be completed and then we can move on with the fall out from what ever the 'secret' is. James Spader is simply amazing in this show, been a fan sinceOne of my top must watch shows and it keeps getting better and better each season. I've seen most of the reviews and agree to some extent on some of the topics, like 'is he or isn't he the father', I feel it is a story line that needs to be completed and then we can move on with the fall out from what ever the 'secret' is. James Spader is simply amazing in this show, been a fan since Episode 1 and still a fan today. Expand
  72. Feb 13, 2017
    It started out good but got boring. lizzie keen acts stinks and reddington has too much dialogue. if you havent start to watch this show, i wouldnt recommend it.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 11, 2013
    [A] pleasurable, cheeky new crime drama. [21 Oct 2013, p.47]
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    Oct 9, 2013
    Here and now, The Blacklist is top-of-the-list escapism.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Starr
    Oct 3, 2013
    [Spader’s] magnetic, chewing on the scenery so much that you can’t look away from him.