The Book of Daniel : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 6, 2006
5.0

1. KevinR
    Jan 5, 2006
    I was dubiously honored to view a pre-screening of the pilot episode several days ago. I wanted to let it all 'sink in' before making a final determination. In short, the pilot doesn't even put the 'fun' in dysfunctional. Apparently, Jack Kenny couldn't have an original thought for a series, so he threw together as many controversial and conflicting aspects I was dubiously honored to view a pre-screening of the pilot episode several days ago. I wanted to let it all 'sink in' before making a final determination. In short, the pilot doesn't even put the 'fun' in dysfunctional. Apparently, Jack Kenny couldn't have an original thought for a series, so he threw together as many controversial and conflicting aspects of other shows as he could. The result is a hodgepodge of lifeless outcasts... a priest addicted to pain killers, a priest's wife who drinks, an oldest son who is gay, an adopted son who is a philanderer, and a daughter who sells drugs. It was humorous in spots; I'll give it that. There is an underlying message that "we're all human, after all", I'll give it that. Unfortunately, the entire premise is too contrived; I haven't seen families this dysfunctional on Jerry Springer. The actors, though top-notch, just don't have much to work with and it shows. The subject matter; while admirable wars to wage, would have been better waged on cable. I give it a 'B' for intent, a 'C' for effort, and a regrettable 'F' in execution. It would seem the success of this show was hinged upon generating controversy, not producing a quality, believable product. Expand
  2. DanaH
    Outstanding!
  3. tttttt
    Im Obsessed With This Show Already
  4. ReaP
    Jan 7, 2006
    Overacted in the beginning, the characters finally settled into just a little larger than life as the community came together. Aidan and Ellen played their parts with finesse and appealing humanity. I found it good fun and entertaining. Just might breath some good humored life into the greater Episcopalian community. I wish ALL religious groups could have as much fun with their own Overacted in the beginning, the characters finally settled into just a little larger than life as the community came together. Aidan and Ellen played their parts with finesse and appealing humanity. I found it good fun and entertaining. Just might breath some good humored life into the greater Episcopalian community. I wish ALL religious groups could have as much fun with their own foibles. Jesus' part was played a little too light and fluffy for my taste for such a powerful and impactful man...but it was really courageous for writers to attempt a charicaturization of him that was bound to attract major dissention to begin with. Expand
  5. KateC
    Jan 8, 2006
    The Washington Post's Tom Shales said all there is to be said: I cannot recall a series in which a greater number of characters seemed so desperately detestable -- a series with a larger population of loathsome dolts. There ought to be a worse punishment than cancellation for a show that tries this hard to be offensive and, even at that crass task, manages to fail.
  6. AP
    Jan 6, 2006
    I thought the program shows lots of promise. Yes there are a lot of dysfunctional people, but this provide lots of room for an honest look at problems we all face.
  7. DaveL
    Jan 6, 2006
    Won't last because it is too intelligent for most viewers and when you piss off the Christian right with a sensitive, compassionate Jesus who is your best friend you better watch out. Watch it until the Christain right drives it off of the air.
  8. mrnobody
    Jan 6, 2006
    This show is striaght from hell.
  9. lsmith
    Jan 7, 2006
    Horrible- Do people realize that making a sexual advance to your sister is incest! It does not matter if you are adopted. Adoption is a legal process that makes siblings legally brother and sister. Is this 2006???
  10. LesterS
    Jan 7, 2006
    Jesus appears to be naive and consenting and all the issues portrayed appear okay....but Jesus did say to an adulterous woman, "Go and sin no more" We condemn ourselves by the choices we make and that determines our future judgment by God Almighty,
  11. RichE
    Jan 7, 2006
    How many sins were they trying to commit in the first show?
  12. CindiB
    Jan 7, 2006
    This was a funny show! Why does everyone have to take everything so seriously. Loosen up people!
  13. karenk
    We loved it, it is like a 21st century SOAP
  14. JWalsh
    Jan 7, 2006
    Another perfect example of how mainstream television is driven to perversion, in this case the message of the Bilble. For me, it was like watching part a train wreck then to have critic's point out they eloquent sybolism hidden in the tragedy. I couldn't watch the whole thing. In my opinion, it wasn't funny, it was down right hateful. I
  15. bobk
    Jan 7, 2006
    an attack on christians and the christ that is real truly left wing trash tv at its worst no more of this network for me till this trash is removed
  16. PatriciaG
    Jan 7, 2006
    Absolutely agree with Tom Shales of the Washington Post.
  17. charlenej
    found it offensive
  18. AnonYMouse
    Jan 7, 2006
    Watched both episodes - found only one even remotely likable character (Christ) - and even that character rang false. Daniel's family is dysfunctional on a catastrophic level, and if all Episcopalian ministers are as loose as he is with interpreting Christ's message, it's no wonder the denomination's losing numbers to more authentically Christian groups. It was hard Watched both episodes - found only one even remotely likable character (Christ) - and even that character rang false. Daniel's family is dysfunctional on a catastrophic level, and if all Episcopalian ministers are as loose as he is with interpreting Christ's message, it's no wonder the denomination's losing numbers to more authentically Christian groups. It was hard for me to judge the acting, since the writing was so over-the-top that I couldn't tell if the actors were hamming, vamping, or underplaying their roles. The bad news is that NBC obviously thought this show was a good idea. The good news is that it probably won't have enough of an audience to last much past January. Expand
  19. ShirleyJ
    Why not!!?? I liked it
  20. SuzanneE
    Jan 8, 2006
    I thought the program was a real hoot. Loved the cast and thought the whole premise of the show refreshing.
  21. StevenD
    Jan 9, 2006
    Very good show if you look past the silly controversy.
  22. SandraM
    Jan 9, 2006
    I'm as excited by this show as I was by DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES before they killed off Bree's husband. WASP families fascinate me. Having Jesus shown live is fine. I can't imagine that anyone other than a fanatic will object. My only problem with the show is that it's on opposite another favorite of mine: NUMB3RS, which I will now have to watch in rerun.
  23. ShannonW
    Jan 9, 2006
    This show was a complete disappointment. The average American family is indeed dysfunctional but this is dysfunction has gone overboard. It isn't even entertainment... just filth. It is a mockery of the Christian faith and Jesus Christ. The Jesus character is nothing but a glorified "tell me what you think" therapist. Nobody would dare mock any other religion like this. It is This show was a complete disappointment. The average American family is indeed dysfunctional but this is dysfunction has gone overboard. It isn't even entertainment... just filth. It is a mockery of the Christian faith and Jesus Christ. The Jesus character is nothing but a glorified "tell me what you think" therapist. Nobody would dare mock any other religion like this. It is completely offensive and a wrong direction for NBC to be taking!! Expand
  24. ernie
    Jan 9, 2006
    Funny tv -people need to remember its for entertainmant
  25. deb
    Feb 4, 2006
    I love the show! The sarcasm is great. you canm go on the nbc website and view the unaired episodes from the last few weeks. It is too bad that the network did not have enough courage to give the show a little longer to prove itself.
  26. KM
    Jan 11, 2006
    By the end of the second episode, we seemed to have one of every cliche in the book, bunches of overdubs where I guess 'controversial' things were changed, and in general a large mess.
  27. CBeach
    Jan 11, 2006
    There was not one redeeming feature in this show. Not that Christians don't have problems, or commit sins, but there was not one reference to asking God for help, not one reference to reading the Bible for guidance, Things which any truly Christian family with problems would do. It seemed that the purpose was to make Christians, and clergy out to be hopeless mean and nasty fools, and There was not one redeeming feature in this show. Not that Christians don't have problems, or commit sins, but there was not one reference to asking God for help, not one reference to reading the Bible for guidance, Things which any truly Christian family with problems would do. It seemed that the purpose was to make Christians, and clergy out to be hopeless mean and nasty fools, and to make fun of Christians in general. I don't know the religeous persuasion of the authors, but it would appear that they don't get very involved with the subject matter they are writing about. Expand
  28. KimW
    Jan 13, 2006
    What a sick world. But God will judge!
  29. JayW
    Jan 13, 2006
    Thiis show is a very poor inturpetation of christainity and the book of daniel it self. I'm very disapointed in NBC producting such a show. This show totaly make light of a very serious subjects with in christainity. Every thing that seems to be acceptable in the show is totally against what the book of Daniel is really about.
  30. PRedstone
    Jan 14, 2006
    Like the stained glass station breaks, the writing is colorful with harsh outlines. That's what black comedy is supposed to be like. The style captures the outrageous in the mundane. I love it. Keep it up. Good work!!! Great cast! Susanna Thompson is fabulous!
  31. KarlaB
    Jan 16, 2006
    I'm tired of stupid, repetitive sitcoms and brainless reality shows. The Book of Daniel is fresh and thought-provoking and genuinely entertaining. I don't get the uproar about it. It's a better show on NBC than that godawful "Surface."
  32. LaurieannD
    Jan 29, 2006
    It's a shame NBC is willing to cut programs like Book of Daniel, but keep those that show, and contain vilolence and sexual abuse. I think BOD is well written and should be taken as a mix of comedy and drama. So, who really knows what Jesus looked like? Not NBC or the critics.
  33. Danielle
    Jan 5, 2006
    Entertainment value lacks due to obvious agenda. Story line and characters are the extremes of extreme and meant to flush out Jack Kenny's beef with the Catholic faith. This aggression should be displayed else where instead of eating up what could potentially be great programming.
  34. TomD
    Jan 5, 2006
    What a stupid premise for a show!!!! Golly, drugs, alcohol, gays, and sex.. didn't we get enough of that on 7th Heaven???
  35. DarwinD
    Jan 5, 2006
    Not fit to be seen. Why not present a film based on the scriptural text and story of the Biblical Daniel as it relates the persons who have a true sense of following a life that is exemplary and one to be modeled.
  36. CarS
    Jan 5, 2006
    shame on the man that wrote this, and shame on the networks that show it! It is the most outrageous program ever placed on television, that totally puts Jesus in a lie, placing him as if He were any other guy, that sins, and that is the biggest sin, and it is an attack on the Bible itself. Is that not enough for you guys to want to take the show off, or do you like tearing down the famiy shame on the man that wrote this, and shame on the networks that show it! It is the most outrageous program ever placed on television, that totally puts Jesus in a lie, placing him as if He were any other guy, that sins, and that is the biggest sin, and it is an attack on the Bible itself. Is that not enough for you guys to want to take the show off, or do you like tearing down the famiy and believers of faith in Christ or in Priests? Come on, don't say you don't understand. Tell it like it is, He is watching and listening right? Stand up and be counted for doing the right thing. Expand
  37. clook
    Jan 5, 2006
    I find it odd to vote on a show before I have seen it. Noone can speak for GOD, but this show has caused many to explore problems and issues that have been considered taboo. If this Jesus is compassionate and understands "turn thy other cheek", then no worries.
  38. RusstyS
    Jan 5, 2006
    What if the show was about a Muslim imam with the same problems? It would never see the light of day because it would be deemed "insensitive" and "offensive." Big thumbs down to NBC.
  39. DEDEAN
    Jan 6, 2006
    Disjointed and disappointing. I LOVED Joan of Arcadia. In that series viewers were given time to let characters develop. In this jerky first episode, they all sucked! And what's with the plastic smile on Jesus? I won't be tuning in again!
  40. DaylinF
    Jan 6, 2006
    This is why the world is the way that it is. But they only continue to destroy christianity and the world continues to get worse. They say there has always been crime and wars. But the more they destroy christianity the more crime we have and it seems that the war isn't over, it's just beginning. Believe what you will but be careful.
  41. Phototiger
    Jan 6, 2006
    Too much contrived drama and two homosexual characters. Also, the Jesus character has nothing to do in this but show up from time to time and dispense platitudes. This show isn't controversial as it is boring.
  42. MikeM
    Jan 6, 2006
    It has potential. Don't give up on it yet.
  43. StanM
    Jan 6, 2006
    Where do I start? Yes, conservative Christians have every reason to be concerned about this show. And No, there's not one empathetic, likable character in the whole show other than Jesus, who is portrayed more like a buddy or a school counselor than a Savior. With all of the immorality in this show, and not one single remark in the whole show condemning sin, there is no way I can Where do I start? Yes, conservative Christians have every reason to be concerned about this show. And No, there's not one empathetic, likable character in the whole show other than Jesus, who is portrayed more like a buddy or a school counselor than a Savior. With all of the immorality in this show, and not one single remark in the whole show condemning sin, there is no way I can recommend this show to anyone. I was very offended by their portrayal of the minister as a drug(Vicodin)-addicted priest who obviously has no control over his family, who curses often (even taking God's name in vain once), and who excuses sin. We definitely don't need more negative stereotypes of ministers and churchgoers. (I hesitate to call anyone in this show Christian!) Stay far away from this one! Expand
  44. LoriK
    Jan 6, 2006
    I'm really disappointed in your depiction of an Epicopal priest. I'm am not of that particular faith, but I'm sure they will be very upset as to what you made this out to be. He takes the Lords name in vain, he says G.D. and Da*ns his own wife. I don't think that's very funny. His sister curses at her husband's funeral. Jesus is shown as someone other than I'm really disappointed in your depiction of an Epicopal priest. I'm am not of that particular faith, but I'm sure they will be very upset as to what you made this out to be. He takes the Lords name in vain, he says G.D. and Da*ns his own wife. I don't think that's very funny. His sister curses at her husband's funeral. Jesus is shown as someone other than what the Bible shows him to be....kind, loving, and strong. Another mockery .....trying to make a comedy out of something Holy. Expand
  45. ColetteL
    Jan 6, 2006
    can't believe I wasted my time
    It sucks
  47. DanH
    Jan 6, 2006
    Intriguing. Characters are a little overblown, but I like the interactions.
  48. MyronP
    Jan 7, 2006
    Excellent show. Realistic and challenging.
  49. SteveS
    Jan 7, 2006
    Not funny enough to be a comedy. Not interesting enough to be a drama. Acting is good. Stories are not.
  50. ShawnC
    Jan 7, 2006
    Great acting, poor writing--balancing out to a promising idea that hasn't yet moved out of "pilot" phase and into "series" phase. No threat to Christians--it's entertainment, folks, not theological discourse!
  51. RobertE
    Jan 7, 2006
    This is another attack on christranity
  52. JayD
    Blasphemy.
  53. JaneC
    Jan 7, 2006
    Keep this ambitious show on until the plots become more developed. It is witty, funny, clever, and the protrayal of Jesus as a friend is worth the time spent watching the show. It isn't a sacchrine show, nor is Jesus portrayed as such...the actors are superb.
  54. gockert
    Jan 7, 2006
    There was something to offend everybody! The least offensive to me was the portrayal of our Lord. Yes, he was a very mild sort; yes, he did not provide magic solutions or answers and yes, he was available to talk to... Otherwise, I'm not sure I will watch it again.
  55. AnaK
    Jan 7, 2006
    Smart, funny, touching. The best new network show since Law & Order: SVU. I usually stick to HBO and Showtime for television programs, but I will be watching "The Book of Daniel" faithfully, if you'll pardon the small pun.
  56. JohnD
    Jan 7, 2006
    Excellent drama that's real enough to get all the dysfunctional whiny fundamentalists wound up in their usual mindless tizzy. You go Daniel!
  57. BrendaB
    Jan 7, 2006
    I found this show to be repulsive and insulting to every Christian.
  58. Annie
    Nicely irreverant humor.
  59. Cris
    Jan 7, 2006
    I thought it was real life.
  60. jackm
    Jan 7, 2006
    I am not a practicing Christian but this detestable show filled with shallow, empty characters spouting contemptible, disrepectable dialogue which mocks everything a rational society or family would value to survive was obviously written by someone who needs serious therapy for their obvious mental illness. The only character that is not totally loathsome is the Chinese son and only I am not a practicing Christian but this detestable show filled with shallow, empty characters spouting contemptible, disrepectable dialogue which mocks everything a rational society or family would value to survive was obviously written by someone who needs serious therapy for their obvious mental illness. The only character that is not totally loathsome is the Chinese son and only because of his charming smile, not his morally vacuous behavior. Expand
  61. Peter
    Jan 7, 2006
    Phenomenal show.....groundbreaking. Should be used for discussions of religious topics in churches. It is interesting to note that Jesus never "told" Daniel what to do, but rather told him that he will know what to do.
  62. KarenH
    Jan 7, 2006
    Give me a break!! An obvious clue that primetime is going down the tubes...
  63. DorianM
    Jan 7, 2006
    This show in no way represents the real Episcpal Church that I love and have served for 20 years as a priest. Aside from the poor taste and the inclusion of every social problem imaginable, the acting is uninspiring. This show needs to be taken off the air as soon as possible.
  64. LorettaC
    Jan 7, 2006
    I'm sorry I think this show was really bad. I kept hoping I could find some redeaming quality but when the 2 bishops had sex that slamed the book shut. I like many of the actors in it the writing was horrid! BRING NACK JOAN OF ARCADIA! Good writing and good acting!
  65. krisw
    Jan 7, 2006
    poor taste and little entertainment value
  66. EdwinW
    Jan 7, 2006
    What next, kiddie porn and murder? Trash!
  67. DickD
    Jan 7, 2006
    Can't see where the religious controvery comes in. The show's depiction of Jesus is correct as our Lord gives no easy answers, shows love and concern, gently lets Daniel know when he has vered off the path, and has a great sense of humor. The show falters inthat the characters are all too one dimensional - troubled. You need some stability to contrast with the chaotic. I'll Can't see where the religious controvery comes in. The show's depiction of Jesus is correct as our Lord gives no easy answers, shows love and concern, gently lets Daniel know when he has vered off the path, and has a great sense of humor. The show falters inthat the characters are all too one dimensional - troubled. You need some stability to contrast with the chaotic. I'll watch it certaining a cut above "housewives and Sex in the City. Expand
  68. BillW
    Something lower than Whale Poop
  69. ChazS
    no comment...just disgusting.....
  70. JustinY
    Total Garbage.
  71. CarolynK.G
    Jan 7, 2006
    This show is an insullt to the Episcopal Church. I hope it is taken off the air as soon as possible (like yesterday.)
  72. AndyB
    Jan 7, 2006
    Just once, if prime time TV wanted to produce a show that has anything to do with Christianity or the church, it would be nice if they'd get writers who actually knew something about it. There was essentially no Christian content or character displayed by anyone. Hard to imagine that, unless the objective was just to slam everything that's sacred, which this show certainly does. Just once, if prime time TV wanted to produce a show that has anything to do with Christianity or the church, it would be nice if they'd get writers who actually knew something about it. There was essentially no Christian content or character displayed by anyone. Hard to imagine that, unless the objective was just to slam everything that's sacred, which this show certainly does. It's not just offensive; it's sad--sad that anyone would think this is entertaining. Expand
  73. DawnA
    Jan 7, 2006
    I wasn't really impressed with this show. I love Aidan Quinn, but the story just didn't flow, I would probably like it much better without him talking to Jesus. I guess it really just didn't keep my attention.
  74. LarryH
    Jan 8, 2006
    This show is absurd and a total blast at organized religion. All of the problems discussed exist in the world, but not in one family.
  75. MaryM
    Jan 8, 2006
    This turned out to be projectile vomiting of topic after topic with no way out.
  76. MikeS
    Jan 8, 2006
    I loved the show's debut and felt that despite the varied roster of familial problems, what was presented at its' base was a warm, loving family. The fact that the problems had by all the characters were somewhat over the top only created amusement and interest. It made the show fun. The acting was superb all through the ensemble cast.
  77. PatriciaB
    Jan 8, 2006
    for once, something funny, and a bit irreverent, without being "dirty". No one is killed, beaten or sexually abused. Looking forward to the next episode. Loved it..
  78. DAVIDEM
    Jan 8, 2006
    Fantastic television for a change. Open your minds people and learn something about real life!
  79. tnordy
    Jan 8, 2006
    gay son...check dope dealing daughter...check statutory rapist adopted son...check alcoholic mother...check embezzling brother in law...check you get the idea. I watched this show with the idea that anything that PO's the religious right is at least worth checking out. I couldn't even make it through the first hour of the premiere. It seemed like the writers sat down and listed gay son...check dope dealing daughter...check statutory rapist adopted son...check alcoholic mother...check embezzling brother in law...check you get the idea. I watched this show with the idea that anything that PO's the religious right is at least worth checking out. I couldn't even make it through the first hour of the premiere. It seemed like the writers sat down and listed every cliched social problem they could think of and put it into one of the characters. The possibilities are endless.... and pretty damned hard to watch. The people boycotting this should find something else to get worked up about and let this die it's natural death. Expand
  80. BayaC
    Jan 8, 2006
    Can't decide if it's a comedy or a drama, and doesn't succeed at either. Pretty bad. Bring back Joan of Arcadia, which handled these Big Questions with so much more humor and taste!
  81. RobertL
    Jan 9, 2006
    A total waste of time. At first, as a Christian, I was offended that such a show would air. I tried to watch it, but it was just so boring, the lines given to these actors are just horrible. I couldn't watch more than a 45 minutes of the 2 hour premeire.
  82. LeeF
    Jan 9, 2006
    Great cast, great setup. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
  83. CatherineC
    Jan 9, 2006
    Great program, right on for todays issues..funny in a very poiuet way. Please stay on
  84. jenniferh
    Jan 9, 2006
    This is like a slap in the face to Christians around the world! This is no comedy this is just repusive TV. The worst TV makes me think I should'nt watch ABC hopefully others will follow.
  85. NancyR
    Jan 9, 2006
    This show is a joke!! The writing is horrible and the acting is worse. Seems someone wanted to see how many personal disasters he could pack into one program and write about it!!!!!!!!
  86. DanT
    Jan 9, 2006
    The script was poorly written. The acting was mediocre. The plot was trite and boring.
  87. HeatherM
    Boring! Silly! Terrible!
  88. MargieG
    Feb 2, 2006
    This show is close to home for many and they just don't want to admit it.It just may be an eye opener. Great comedy. Thanks M.G.
  89. anonymous
    Feb 3, 2006
    BOD is the most detestable, dispicable, and plain awful show I've ever heard about(which is the primary reason I NEVER watched it). For ALL those involved with the production of the show are guilty of SERIOUS consequences from the very God they mocked and scoffed. Either He will be your Saviour; or your Judge, Jury, and Executioner.
  90. Pat
    Feb 4, 2006
    What a GREAT Show!!! How crazy this world has become when a few can determine what the majority of us can and can not view. I change the channel when I don't care for the programing, are these so righteous folks fingers broken??? BRING IT BACK for those of us who did enjoy it.
  91. LCrisholm
    May 8, 2007
    Tom Shales said it best: Tries desperately to be as incessantly offensive as often as possible on every subject possible -- and fails even at that.
  92. JewetteB
    demeaning to the Christian Religion
  93. GrantR
    Jan 10, 2006
    I'd read a few reviews and came in wanting to like this show but then got sucker punched by the over-wrought production, the utterly unlikeable characters, and most of all, by the utter and total lack of respect paid to the kinds of values a priest ought to espouse. I don't want to spend time with these people. I don't care what they do. They're bickering and bullying I'd read a few reviews and came in wanting to like this show but then got sucker punched by the over-wrought production, the utterly unlikeable characters, and most of all, by the utter and total lack of respect paid to the kinds of values a priest ought to espouse. I don't want to spend time with these people. I don't care what they do. They're bickering and bullying put me off. Click -- I'm gone. Expand
  94. sua
    Jan 11, 2006
    this show was an insult to the notion of truly showing the many convoluted themes in many families of today... i couldn't even watch it to the end...
  95. JosephW
    Jan 10, 2006
    It's very sad that the world is turning into this way.
  96. TMoore
    Jan 11, 2006
    There is nothing entertaining or noteworthy about this program. It is an attack on a major religion in our country, nothing more and nothing less. It is an offensive, degrading program. If there were negative numbers for a rating, I would select one.
  97. JoanN
    Jan 12, 2006
    Amusing and entertaining with interesting characters.
  98. MaryJoP
    Jan 12, 2006
    Wish "Book of Daniel" was on cable w fewer commercials, and w the ability to expand on the well written, funnny, poignant material it holds, but any way we are able to air it is appreciated. Kudos to NBC for picking up The Book of Daniel. I've seen the premiere episodes (2 back to back ) and look forward to the balance of the shows to air. The actors are tops. Big fan of Aidan Quinn, Wish "Book of Daniel" was on cable w fewer commercials, and w the ability to expand on the well written, funnny, poignant material it holds, but any way we are able to air it is appreciated. Kudos to NBC for picking up The Book of Daniel. I've seen the premiere episodes (2 back to back ) and look forward to the balance of the shows to air. The actors are tops. Big fan of Aidan Quinn, Ellen Burstyn and wonderful to see Susanna Thompson back on the air after cancellation by ABC of "Once and Again." S. Thompson should have much more TV exposure for those of us who aren't able to see her stage work. She's got such theatrical sensibility in timing both in drama and comedy, and all in between. Hope to see more of Thompson's work. Expand
  99. cjjohns
    Jan 13, 2006
    One of the funniest shows in a long time
  100. LaurelT
    Jan 14, 2006
    After seeing the previews, I was hoping for Monty Python irreverence, American-style. It wasn't.

1. A well-intentioned drama with a few comedic quirks but without depth or greater purpose.
    The cast is heavenly in The Book of Daniel; the writing isn't.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    You may feel the faith-and-family themes could be handled better on cable--mainly because they have been.