The Chicago Code : Season 1

• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 7, 2011
7.0

1. Apr 20, 2011
    I like this show but it's going to be cancelled and I'll explain why.

"The Chicago Code" can't decide (or the network won't let it decide) what it wants to be and as a result it's falling between two stools. It's obviously influenced by shows like "The Wire" but it's also tied into a weekly procedural format. It isn't hard edged or dark enough for the audience that is drawn to "serious"
    I like this show but it's going to be cancelled and I'll explain why.

It's obviously influenced by shows like "The Wire" but it's also tied into a weekly procedural format. It isn't hard edged or dark enough for the audience that is drawn to "serious" drama but it isn't light enough to attract the CSI/NCIS etc. audience. I suspect the show is the product of trying to do a cable style show on a network. The show would undoubtedly have been better on AMC or HBO. As it stands it's probably too late for the show but it's best bet is to pick which type of show it wants to be and then commit to that.
  2. Feb 11, 2011
    I loved the opening scene in my favorite hardware store in Forest Park. It was downhill after that. Trite and predictably over the top. C'mon the superintendent's uniform looked stupid on Beals, especially the oversized general's hat. She's 47 . . . let her look that old so the part is credible. I'll probably watch a couple of more episodes to catch some Chicago scenery, but once thatI loved the opening scene in my favorite hardware store in Forest Park. It was downhill after that. Trite and predictably over the top. C'mon the superintendent's uniform looked stupid on Beals, especially the oversized general's hat. She's 47 . . . let her look that old so the part is credible. I'll probably watch a couple of more episodes to catch some Chicago scenery, but once that thrill is gone, little to keep me hanging on. Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    Anotrher cookie cutter cop show. Too bad, as I like the Aussie guy (Jason Clarke who is the lead) from his great work in "Brotherhood." Here however he isn't backed up by good writing or an interesting ensemble. Beals is way out of her depth and rather ludicrous as a 30's something top cop chick. Not her fault the role is simply too "TV" to work. There is a lot of running about and a lotAnotrher cookie cutter cop show. Too bad, as I like the Aussie guy (Jason Clarke who is the lead) from his great work in "Brotherhood." Here however he isn't backed up by good writing or an interesting ensemble. Beals is way out of her depth and rather ludicrous as a 30's something top cop chick. Not her fault the role is simply too "TV" to work. There is a lot of running about and a lot of snappy dialog but there is no depth to either the characters or the plot. Detroit 187 is a fair show and it's better than this one. Southland is still the best cop show on TV, by far. This one seems like "Blue bloods" lite, and "Blue Bloods" is slightly more palatable and classy. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Feb 9, 2011
    It's extremely well cast, uses its Windy City locations beautifully and has an energy that grabs you pretty much from the first scene. Monday nights are really, really crowded, but you need to make room for this show.
  2. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Feb 8, 2011
    The show is point-blank, but somewhat brilliantly so.
  3. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Feb 7, 2011
    The show is an intelligent addition to the Fox lineup, with both the broad canvas of "The Wire" and the street procedural of "NYPD Blue" in its DNA.