• Network: PBS , BBC Two
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 30, 2012
  • Season #: 1
6.6

1. Sep 23, 2013
    Being a film enthusiast, I know that films that really make you feel for the characters are so very rare, but the Hollow crown definitely succeeds in doing so. Having english as a second language,I never even considered reading shakespere, and yet the great actors and scenery make it very clear what is meant, and I now can honestly say I see how Shakespere has lasted throught so manyBeing a film enthusiast, I know that films that really make you feel for the characters are so very rare, but the Hollow crown definitely succeeds in doing so. Having english as a second language,I never even considered reading shakespere, and yet the great actors and scenery make it very clear what is meant, and I now can honestly say I see how Shakespere has lasted throught so many generations. This is some of the most wonderful and complex plots I've seen on TV. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    This is quite simply the most brilliant television ever produced. It should be watched in every English speaking home, every high school English and drama class, and every drama school from now to the end of time.
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    The best thing I've seen in ages. Not everyone's cup of tea, though. It IS Shakespeare! Great acting, wonderful drama and of course, the script- pure Shakespeare!

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Sep 20, 2013
    For the next four Fridays, PBS's Great Performances lives up to its billing with a spectacular and dazzlingly acted mega-miniseries titled The Hollow Crown.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 20, 2013
    The performances are so wonderful it feels wrong to single any out. But Whishaw finds great power in stillness; Hiddleston fits himself admirably to his character's stages and turns of mind, resolving his coldness with his warmth, his cruelty with his generosity. And there is Beale's Falstaff--marvelously poignant, a scoundrel-hero, getting everything wrong. His sorrow at losing the transformed Hal is as tragic a moment as any here, his fall no less thunderous than Richard's.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Sep 20, 2013
    The trump card of Hollow Crown, of course, is that it was written by Shakespeare--and if the language sounds stilted to modern ears, anyone who listens for more than a few minutes will be properly seduced.