7.7

1. Jan 24, 2013
    This second season of 'The Hour' trumps the first by a considerable margin. Brilliant writing along with engaging characters confidently performed by all the principles and the supporting cast combine to give us an outstanding drama that sweeps us along fully committed to its many story threads. The whole enterprise also looks absolutely stunning and the use of colour in the costume and production design is to be applauded. The ending leaves us in no doubt that there will be a third series and I for one am on board for that. Applause, applause. Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    Magnificent show. Superb cast -- particularly Ben Whishaw as Freddie Lyon. Gorgeous cinematography and a complex, intriguing plot are particularly impressive in the second series. The pacing of the episodes is incredible...

1. Reviewed by: Michael Starr
    Dec 5, 2012
    I have a sneaking suspicion that, over its next four installments, The Hour will ratchet-up the drama and intrigue and retain the excellence it's achieved thus far.
    The Hour has never pretended to be anything other than a very classy potboiler filled with attractive people, one that puts its heroes into predicaments that wouldn't be out of place in a silent film while sneaking social and historical commentary into the margins.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Nov 28, 2012
    I'll take Hour's rather sour worldview--deadlines in deadly times--over the grand uplift of HBO's The Newsroom. In a nanosecond. [3 Dec 2012, p.44]