The Jay Leno Show : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 14, 2009
3.6

1. DonSmith
    Jan 19, 2010
    Jay is a great entertainer and comedian and cannot be replaced by Conan. I have submitted material for Jay to use as he saw fit. Jay still belongs on the team and any attempt to replace him is an effort in futility. The best simply cannot be replaced and I will rest my case there at this point.
  2. JasonS
    Sep 15, 2009
    Not the perfect prime time variety show, but Jay Leno still manages to keep us laughing with his feel-good humor. I'm sure that over time the seires will distance itself from The Tonight Show somehow.
  3. B.D
    Sep 16, 2009
    I wonder why critics think this is just a rehash of The Tonight Show. This is very different from your standard late night talk show. This is Jay Leno's show, and he seems to make that clear by changing things up and not doing things like everyone else. Nevertheless, I have always liked Jay Leno and his new show is truly a fantastic breath of fresh air from the usual late night format.
  4. MasJ.
    Sep 17, 2009
    I like this show if for nothing more than to be amazed that their writers can come up with an hour of material every day, although watching it so early seems odd. An early evening show is in the style of the 1950's shows where the whole family watched together and maybe it is a good formula that no other show is trying.
  5. KenS
    Sep 18, 2009
    The premier was a bit stilted but the show seemed to get more fluid as the week wore on. I think it will be a solid performer for NBC and a great pilot for the business model.
  6. LesM.
    Sep 24, 2009
    Excellent to have him back. Funny stuff and a relaxed look to the interviews. Better than the other talk shows.
  7. PaulP.
    Sep 28, 2009
    Leno is too conservative in his approach - he's always the guy who wants to be liked - but why would critics expect him to be different? He had excellent ratings against tough competition while Conan could barely hold off Craig Ferguson. And NBCs the worst of the 4 major networks. It's not like they've had a lot of great ideas, anyway. Yes, the skits with Eubanks are lame, Leno is too conservative in his approach - he's always the guy who wants to be liked - but why would critics expect him to be different? He had excellent ratings against tough competition while Conan could barely hold off Craig Ferguson. And NBCs the worst of the 4 major networks. It's not like they've had a lot of great ideas, anyway. Yes, the skits with Eubanks are lame, but I want to tune in at night and have someone take shots at all the bloated politicians and entertainment frauds and that's Jay, whose always been the only one who took monologues seriously. So, if you're a critic and want something different - who cares! You watch something different and I'll watch Jay. Expand
  8. GerryK.
    Oct 5, 2009
    It's still The Tonight Show With Jay Leno but that's a good thing. I can tivo it and watch it instead of the dreadful Conan or the spiteful Dave.
  9. ZachD.
    Oct 20, 2009
    I laugh my ass off 5 hours a week thanks to this. I bet you all 20 bucks this show will be on for the next 5 year if Jay can do it.
  10. SamG
    Oct 20, 2009
    Two things I like about Jay: 1)He's not a show boat monopolizing all of the laughs. I can enjoy a variety of comedy coming from guests to scripted skits without the host cannibalizing all of the humor. 2)He

The boilerplate talk format was reminiscent not only of Leno’s “Tonight Show,’’ but of almost every other late-night talker on the air right now.
  2. [This] is why this strange, shallow puddle of comedy is so difficult to accept. With all eyes on Leno, this is the best he, and his writers, and the struggling network could come up with?
  3. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    That's a lot of pressure, even for Iron Jay, and maybe why Night One felt like a work in progress--terribly rough in spots, not bad in others.