Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.0

1. Apr 12, 2015
    Definitely not a show for anyone who has been raised on quick fix murder mysteries.
    Not all TV has to be wham bang thank you, rinse and redo.
    This is not pop-corn and cabbage-out viewing (which I do myself from time to time, just not all the time) This is not about solving the case but examining the personalities around it. It is less a crime drama more a psychological mystery; to a
    Not all TV has to be wham bang thank you, rinse and redo.

This is not about solving the case but examining the personalities around it. It is less a crime drama more a psychological mystery; to a lesser extent a look at moral and political ambiguity and deceit.

I understand why they cancelled as the format of the first two seasons would not work without the backdrop of the Mayoral elections allowing for the time frame and pressure.
    I did find the ending episodes disappointing and fudged in season 2.

It is moody and intense, it seems Seattle (Vancouver filmed) is in a state of almost perpetual downpour. At times it can seem a bit overwhelming. It is not meant to be a procedural piece of work but an emotional one, so the techniques used by the detectives are inaccurate for today, but they do nothing that wasnt standard practice in some forces within living memory. The writers do indicate they are not ignorant of procedure but bypassing for effect, when villains ask for lawyers the detectives approach changes and interview room brutality stops.

Overall I liked the series, but they should have dropped the format to 8/10 episodes per season. I had the feeling the producers had trouble striking through script writers ideas and tightening the flow of the story.
  2. Jan 14, 2015
    This show is example of how to really muck up any reality, turning what had started by being a casual ride, into completely laughable nonsense. Did they figure lets reel them in with a decent premise to than dismantle it all on the second season.

This show was way to lengthy to achieve any finale, drawn out to end degree's, had nobody employed an editor? The same scenes, information keep on running again and again to drawn out this shows duration...

The characters themselves were bunch of misfits whom would never achieve professional positions. outside of attempted political correctness showing itself into every picture. Believing suicidal, cripples, can gain the presidency, because they don't require an additional team of aids, who would be privy to national secrets, when making every single function accessible, to any man on a podium. Jeopardising those very positions power when upon making further demands of office. Also containing drugged AA, cops making detective, or institutionally insane cops being lead investigators. Because their ain't no such thing as public record. GBH is on bail, to do it all again without any ankle bracelet. The list is endless

What started off as a Twin Peaks esque, but wrongly set in the big city. Quickly descend into total emotional nonsense, utterly painfully to then watch the who did it. Upon final conclusion the person who did it, it was unlikely to be in their nature at all. Although we must likewise believe in the impossible that everybody is a natural born killer, when it comes to power.

Heck, I don't know if they tried to pull it back on the third season and the the fourth. I didn't care at all after the second....
  3. Aug 3, 2014
    Season 4 wrap was perfect. I almost gave up on Season 1, but the characters, Holder in particular, brought me back. Season 3 was so much better than first two seasons. The character of Bullet gave the series someone to care about and took the performances to another level. Season 4 gave us the ending we needed.
  4. Aug 3, 2014
    The acting is great. The photography is superb; great close-ups and panorama shots. That blue-grayish tone goes really well with the storyline.

It's a shame the show cannot continue. The two actors are great working together, too bad they were found for a mini-series of limited episodes. They could had become an excellent TV series of many seasons.
  5. Jun 24, 2014
    A great first season to this sad and dark show. The characters are very interesting and so is the plot. I was okay with the case not being resolved in the first season
  6. Mar 25, 2014
    Great show. There were times when I saw a plot twist coming from a mile away but the acting, cinematography, dialogue and overall writing is superb. I would say it is better than Sherlock in every way except the main characters' charisma but the plot is just a step behind Wallander. But if you liked either one of those shows The Killing is a must watch.
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    One of the best shows on TV, very underrated, i've rarely enjoyed a show as much as i did the first case (seasons 1 & 2), better to watch in a bundle though if you get them on DVD, the 3rd season was a new case and also great viewing, i'm very disappointed that all we are getting is a short 4th and final season, this show deserves so much more, as do the characters of Holder/Linden who areOne of the best shows on TV, very underrated, i've rarely enjoyed a show as much as i did the first case (seasons 1 & 2), better to watch in a bundle though if you get them on DVD, the 3rd season was a new case and also great viewing, i'm very disappointed that all we are getting is a short 4th and final season, this show deserves so much more, as do the characters of Holder/Linden who are played xecellently by the two leads, it's much better than 90% of the shows on tv today Expand
  8. Jan 10, 2014
    I didn't know about this series until season 3 was about to air and the show had already been cancelled once. My wife and I decided to binge watch the first season, which turned into the first two seasons because of the way the plot spread out over the two seasons.

Without a doubt, these two seasons were some of the best TV I've watched in a long time. They were emotionally touchy and somewhat emotionally draining because we were able to connect with the characters. I would highly recommend these seasons to anybody.

The third season was not as good, but was still good TV. I'm saddened that it got cancelled again.
  9. Sep 8, 2013
    I've seen all 3 series and campaigning for the 4th. Am a Dexter/Breaking Bad sort. This show is under-estimated, and under-marketed. The Killing is possibly the most realistic cop show on TV. I've seen reviews by real life cops who claim they watch this show for that reason. This show goes beyond realism however it draws you in, with surprises after surprises, slowly and surely. It goesI've seen all 3 series and campaigning for the 4th. Am a Dexter/Breaking Bad sort. This show is under-estimated, and under-marketed. The Killing is possibly the most realistic cop show on TV. I've seen reviews by real life cops who claim they watch this show for that reason. This show goes beyond realism however it draws you in, with surprises after surprises, slowly and surely. It goes beyond cop show cliches of the last decade, an amazing feat to pull off. Both lead characters were well-drawn by the writer and the actors. Enos is an amazing and courageous actress as Linda, possibly the sexiest deliberately-unsexy female cop ever. Kinnaman's Holden has depth, intensity, complexity and a unique brand of humor. The overall atmosphere is somber yet with tenderness. The story is well-paced and surprisingly caring about even the dead characters. The ending for Rosie series 1 & 2 promises surprises and satisfying enough resolution. Highly recommended for the discerning ones who're sick of cop genre cliches and cheap gores. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    Excellent series, beautiful filming, excellent story, very good balance between the protagonists. The performance of Peter Sarsgaard in the 3rd season is impressive.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Great show! Atmospheric, intense, keeps you guessing, love the gloomy cinematography, reminiscent of seven/hannibal...the finale of the first storyline is heartbreaking, still shaking and i finished 3 days ago. 1/2way through season 3, just as good...missing billy campbell though!
  12. Jul 19, 2013
    solid adaptation of a danish show. it uses the same red herring device of a murder investigation to invesigate the community its set in. a lot of great moments and incredibly well realised tone and world, but increasingly hampered by its need to use the plot to investigate the characters.

the idea is in line with the wire, but the device and adaptive duty, holds the whole thing back a touch.

even at its worst, its stll easily one of the best things on tv though.
  13. Jul 15, 2013
    I love this show. Everything about it. It keeps my interest, it's suspenseful, the cast is great! I'm sad to see some of my peers are unhappy about this season. I hope they come back for another season!
  14. Jun 9, 2013
    I stopped watching after the pilot and picked it up when season 3 started. I am glad that I did because it's a rather good show and pretty enjoyable to watch.
  15. Feb 27, 2013
    I have yet to watch the well received Danish original (it is on my 'to do list' with a number of other shows) but seeing the US version advertised on TV decided to give it a try and was initially quite impressed. The major cast members were all very good and not having the usual case per episode formula seen on countless cop procedurals made a pleasant change.

Of course I am unable to

Of course I am unable to make any comparisons to the Danish version but purely judged on its own merits I found that, despite a well written and intriguing opening episode, everything moved along at far too slow a pace. I have no problem with slow-burning drama, The Wire and Mad Men rank amongst my favourite shows, but The Killing provides too many obvious red herrings that the protagonists waste their and the audiences time on. Worst of all after sticking with the show for thirteen episodes we were still left guessing as to who killed Rosie Larsen until season two is available!

While the first season of The Killing certainly had plenty of things going for it I can’t help but feel it would have benefited from a shorter, tighter season in order to better keep audience’s attention.
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    Although this show does a good job of exploring grief and addiction, the tone is too consistently dark. There are no light moments, there's no humour, no character quirks, nothing to help the audience actually root for the characters. Everyone is very serious and very boring. I enjoyed some of the plot and structure, but the show doesn't have enough range.
  17. Aug 1, 2012
    This has so far been my all time favorite television show. I honestly think this is better than Lost and Breaking Bad, which or two of my favorite and most critically-acclaimed shows. The Killing is the most suspenseful show I have ever watched, It has produced bigger thrills not even films have given me.BEST SHOW EVER!!!
  18. Jun 25, 2012
    Definitely a show that takes a lot of patience. The start of the series is a bit slow and it took me two tries to finally get into it. Once you have a better sense of the characters and the storyline around episode 4, you'll begin to feel more of a connection with the show, in my opinion. Definitely not a series I would recommend hands down but if you're in between series, I would sayDefinitely a show that takes a lot of patience. The start of the series is a bit slow and it took me two tries to finally get into it. Once you have a better sense of the characters and the storyline around episode 4, you'll begin to feel more of a connection with the show, in my opinion. Definitely not a series I would recommend hands down but if you're in between series, I would say check this out. Expand
  19. May 20, 2012
    This show was pretty straightforward at first, and then had you guessing the rest of the time. The pacing was great, the acting was spot on, and the tone of the show matched the subject matter. I was glad that I could watch all of season 1 in one sitting. If I had to wait all week I would freak out. Just like Lost. I am totally looking forward to season 2.
  20. May 14, 2012
    In brief, two points:
    1)You can't judge this show by its first few episodes, which is why the scores are so drastically inflated. 2) I am simply in shock at how bad the writing is [scene by scene and in the series overall]. It's like an elephant playing piano. How did this show-runner get to adapt a series? More details:
    The writing's so bad that it's hard to gauge the talent of the
    In brief, two points:
    The writing's so bad that it's hard to gauge the talent of the actors, so I will reserve judgment there. However, for those of you who haven't studied the interplay of writing and acting, you may find yourself frequently inclined to blame the actors.

I've found this show to be an interesting study in what a series can get wrong at the same time that it gets several things right. [Its strong points are cinematography, design and editing; and the fact that it's based on a Danish series with an interesting premise: an in-depth examination of a murder case]

Many user reviews cite "slow and depressing" as a problem with this show, but I disagree. I think that a show like this, if written well, would not bother people with its heavy themes and in-depth examination of a case.
  21. Apr 24, 2012
    This isn't the kind of show for those who like fast paced crime drama's that solve their cases in a mere 45 minutes. It's a slow burning show that mirrors real life more then any crime drama before it. I would honestly say the score this show has been given is on the low end. It deserves much higher. The cast and crew behind the show do an outstanding job. The writing is terrific. TheThis isn't the kind of show for those who like fast paced crime drama's that solve their cases in a mere 45 minutes. It's a slow burning show that mirrors real life more then any crime drama before it. I would honestly say the score this show has been given is on the low end. It deserves much higher. The cast and crew behind the show do an outstanding job. The writing is terrific. The images, like for example the weather are used to great affect. The show is set in Seattle, there they happen to get a lot of precipitation but the shows directors wisely use the weather not just for realism. But to showcase the mode and/or tone of this series. The colours are also used brilliantly. Lots of dark colours. Black, blue and grey are often used. They should illustrate to at least the competent viewer that this a show that is bleak. An it tackles hard issues that can make some people uncomfortable. We see throughout the season how this one event has affected lives of so many people. An not just for example the parents but i would dare to say the entire community. The performances are of the highest quality. Especially that of the lead protagonist and the grieving mother, who is a supporting actress on the show. I would say to anyone about to watch this series you're in for superb acting and a meticulous well crafted story line with many twists and turns in it. Expand
  22. Apr 10, 2012
    The series's plot is quite good, but it is tooooooooooooo slow. Usually the other series about crime and murders, it is one case one chapter. But it is quite realistic and the actors and actresses are fantastic!
  23. Apr 3, 2012
    Frustratingly compelling mystery. Like that long-winded author whose book you just can't put down. Would give it a 9.5, but it's worth rounding up. Superbly acted and very well thought out. It's Breaking Bad for the mystery lovers.
  24. Apr 2, 2012
    The Killing has become my absolute favorite show of all time. I cannot get over its depth and precision. I'm in awe of this series and am grateful for the wonderfully talented actors who bring it to life. I just recently discovered the show a few days before the season two premiere, and I watched the first season in two days. I wish I could watch season two in this way -- waiting betweenThe Killing has become my absolute favorite show of all time. I cannot get over its depth and precision. I'm in awe of this series and am grateful for the wonderfully talented actors who bring it to life. I just recently discovered the show a few days before the season two premiere, and I watched the first season in two days. I wish I could watch season two in this way -- waiting between episodes is aggravating to say the very least. Bravo to all who are involved in this series, and I cannot wait for more! Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2012
    AMC has been crafting beautiful original series' since 2007, and this is no exception. The quiet moments and the darkness define almost all of their dramas, but they are always in original ways. Don Draper staring at trains go by in the darkness, Walter White lighting matches and throwing them into his pool at dawn, Rick Grimes calling Morgan on the radio, and Sarah Linden's hard shellAMC has been crafting beautiful original series' since 2007, and this is no exception. The quiet moments and the darkness define almost all of their dramas, but they are always in original ways. Don Draper staring at trains go by in the darkness, Walter White lighting matches and throwing them into his pool at dawn, Rick Grimes calling Morgan on the radio, and Sarah Linden's hard shell deteriorating watching Stan Larsen scream in anguish, these people know how to hire the people to do a show right. The Killing burns slow, extending every last agonizing detail to the extreme, which brings the acting to the forefront and tests the writers' abilities to capture a moment in someone you'd never be able to see in real life. This is masterful television at its best. Expand
  26. Mar 25, 2012
    Amazing show. acting is incredible (with a couple of exceptions). Texture, tension & suspense is internally based and yet so palpable it's uncomfortable at times (in a dramatically good way). It does have somewhat of a similar feel to Rubicon (which I was disappointed they canceled) but with more character development and personal narrative. Extremely compelling "page turner".
  27. Jan 13, 2012
    This show can be frustrating. Besides that, a very well crafted series.
  28. Nov 20, 2011
    I was disappointed in this show, it had mediocre acting by amc original series standards. and the pacing is painfully slow and relies on the viewer to feel bad everytime they see the irrational characters cry over something stupid they've done. and the ending to season 1... it throws out everything it was building to with a rushed and not very well thought out ending full of holes. i won'tI was disappointed in this show, it had mediocre acting by amc original series standards. and the pacing is painfully slow and relies on the viewer to feel bad everytime they see the irrational characters cry over something stupid they've done. and the ending to season 1... it throws out everything it was building to with a rushed and not very well thought out ending full of holes. i won't be returning for next season =( Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    Like everyone keeps mentioning, the Twin Peaks influence is painfully obvious. As good as Twin Peaks was though, there were times when it annoyed me how strange for the sake of being strange without any apparent meaning it could get. I don't get that bad taste in my mouth from The Killing.

I do wish that I could find the original series online somewhere. As often as people discount the AMC remake and compare it to the original, it must be pretty amazing stuff.
  30. Oct 15, 2011
    I love this show!!!! I read about it after the first season was almost over and saw the cast members and knew I just had to watch it. I watched all the missed episodes in marathon style since with this show there really isn't any other way. The cast is as amazing as i thought they would be and the storyline is excellently written and executed. I will say it was a tad slow going at first,I love this show!!!! I read about it after the first season was almost over and saw the cast members and knew I just had to watch it. I watched all the missed episodes in marathon style since with this show there really isn't any other way. The cast is as amazing as i thought they would be and the storyline is excellently written and executed. I will say it was a tad slow going at first, but only the first episode so that the viewers could get all the information needed to continue on. I wasn't sure at first if this was going to be a mini-series or a multiple episode series and I am glad for the latter. I have to say that it is a little ridiculous all the reviews that say how depressing the show is. It's call "The Killing"! Did you think it was going to be a cheerful uplifting comedy?!?!??? It is a depressing concept, but the show is not so much about the killing, but the apprehension of the killer. It is also about how this one event impacts the lives of people who haven't even met each other. Awesome, awesome show and I am sorry to those who gave up on it, you truly missed out on an excellent season. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 7, 2011
    Sharply contrasting with the florid Borgias is AMC's emotionally spare and atmospherically dank series The Killing.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Apr 5, 2011
    In the suspenseful early hours of The Killing, Rosie's family goes about its bereavement in muted tones, and a subplot about a mayoral candidate drawn into the crime's eccentric orbit flashes with potential, and, primarily, our expectations for cop shows are teased, gratified, and artfully upended.
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Apr 4, 2011
    The Killing is also the least prepossessing, an eerily quiet, yet compelling and complex, tale of the way the murder of a teenager affects the lives of many people.