The Leftovers : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 29, 2014
Season #: 1, 2
7.1

1. Jun 14, 2016
    This show moved my ice heart moved me away from the darkest time of my life its legit changed me made me think ask call for help appreciate family friends people.

This show is a story a voice that will reach and grab you and make you open up to the world and people around you a guide to the world we live in. The story is so moving it breaks physical and emotional walls it raises

The story is so moving it breaks physical and emotional walls it raises emotions questions it will make you appreciate the art of story telling its art behind any art I saw on TV few people can bring you this level of artistic story telling.

I want to end it with acting and music. Actors carry the heavy load of their characters with ease they are the most professional actors I saw on tv what they bring to the table only a handful few can do. Music is so touching it compliment the show in a way that makes it perfect every track I listen to after or during the show make me enter a safe zone it protect the listener in an emotional way.

Thank you for reading my below average review I just wanted to write from the heart hope you enjoy this art like I did.
  2. May 3, 2016
    With "The Leftovers" I had the same experience as with "Breaking Bad". I started both shows at one point and decided to let it go after one or two episodes. Wasn't sure if it is my cup of tea. Then after hearing, reading about it from others who enjoyed it and more - I gave it another chance... And how wrong was I?! how glad am I to gave both another chance. "The Leftovers" has amazing,With "The Leftovers" I had the same experience as with "Breaking Bad". I started both shows at one point and decided to let it go after one or two episodes. Wasn't sure if it is my cup of tea. Then after hearing, reading about it from others who enjoyed it and more - I gave it another chance... And how wrong was I?! how glad am I to gave both another chance. "The Leftovers" has amazing, beautiful on the outside and inside actors/ actresses, who are fully committed to their respective characters (wouldn't work without their passion)... applause to the directors and writers: Damon Lindelof and above all, Tom Perrotta. I guess Lindelof wasn't sure where to go with Lost and lost his way on the way... yeah - I know. stupid joke. With Perrotta together they created one of the most beautiful, thought-provoking, eerie, dark and sometimes even funny, suspenseful dramas ever. It is like a book you cannot put down. you want to know what happens to the characters. this is what makes storytelling good. you as the spectator should care. and boy - you do. in the comment section of a TV-Tracker-APP there were all the statements which were like: WTF is going on - and they loved it. and I love it. Nobody knows exactly what is going on. and I hope they don't give the audience an answer. because that's life. nobody on this planet knows what is going on really. and that is the beauty of it. nobody knows why we are here and where do we go and what is the meaning of it all. it is about the journey. this show demands attention. and you will be rewarded. it all makes sense in some sort of way or the other. i drift away. or do I? the writers did an spectacular job. Now I hope season 3 is going to be as awesome as the prior two installments and Max Richter composes further sad and hopeful tracks underlining and overshadowing the set of "The Leftovers". I am out making me a cup of leftover tea... 10/10 Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2016
    This series showed up as best series 2015 Been airing since 2014, I looked at the trailer and man was I hopeful. As I'm writing this I'm not in the middle of episode 6. Another dull boring episode which does not really have anything to do with what I saw in the trailer. Oh and the chain smoking silent people in white are hilarious. This series is a joke and I will never get the hours backThis series showed up as best series 2015 Been airing since 2014, I looked at the trailer and man was I hopeful. As I'm writing this I'm not in the middle of episode 6. Another dull boring episode which does not really have anything to do with what I saw in the trailer. Oh and the chain smoking silent people in white are hilarious. This series is a joke and I will never get the hours back I spent giving this a chance..... Expand
  4. Feb 21, 2016
    Best show on TV. Like LOST, you have to be able to follow the ins and outs. Best characters are Nora and brother Rev Matt. I hear only one more season-I cannot figure out why this show is not more popular!
  5. Jan 29, 2016
    mais não é novidade nenhuma que the leftovers é o maior lixo que já passou pelo mundo das séries
    essa serie é uma FARSA
    seus criadores pedantes tentam exaustivamente recriar a lendária LOST e óbvio falham na tentativa os fãs iludidos como são, acham que esse pedaço de bosta é a oitava maravilha do mundo quando na verdade é só mais um lixo CANCELADO, SEM AUDIÊNCIA E SEM PRÊMIOS vamos
    quando na verdade é só mais um lixo CANCELADO, SEM AUDIÊNCIA E SEM PRÊMIOS
    vamos ter um choque de realidade? vamos
    o único prêmio que essa série foi indicada foi o critics choice awards, na segunda temporada da série
    o reconhecimento passou longe da primeira
    critics choice como sempre caridoso, ainda deu um prêmio pra essa chacota de 6 que concorriam
    VAMOS A LISTA DE SÉRIES QUE JÁ PISARAM EM LEFTOVERS, VENHAM FÃS
    O SAMBA VAI SER GOSTOSOOOOOOOOOOOO
    O MAIOR PRÊMIO DA NOITE ERA MELHOR DRAMA E OS INCOMPETENTES DE LEFTOVERS E OS FÃS ILUDIDOS FORAM MASSACRADOS POR MR, ROBOT, O SUPRASSUMO DE 2015
    EU NÃO ESPERAVA MENOOOOOOOOOOOS
    ESSA JÁ TAVA NA CARA AMORES, O FODIDO DE MERDA DO JUSTIN SÓ SERVIU PRA FICAR PELADO NA SÉRIE, PQ PRA GANHAR PREMIO FOI HUMILHADO
    RAMI MALEK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI PISA MAIS EM LEFTOVERS FILHO DA PUTA
    NÃO É NOVIDADE NENHUMA QUE O REI SOZINHO EXPLODE O ELENCO DESSA SÉRIE
    AGORA VAMOS PARA O QUE EU CONSIDERO SER A MAIOR VERGONHA DA NOITE, ANN DOWN E REGINA KING KONG
    SIM, VCS NÃO LERAM ERRADO, AS DUAS FORAM DERROTADAS EM UMA UNICA CATEGORIA
    MDS QUE VERGONHAAAAAAAAAAAA
    A PROPRIETÁRIA DE UNREAL, CONSTANCE ZIMMER NÃO TEVE PENA E DIZIMOU AS DUAS CHACOTAS DE UMA VEZ
    RAINHA
    NÃO BASTOU UMA VEZ, MR. ROBOT, A PATROA DE LEFTOVERS TEVE PISAR NESSE LIXO MAIS UMA VEZ
    CHRISTIAN SLATER PISOU NO WHO IRRELEVANTE E LEVOU MAIS UM PRÊMIO PRA SÉRIE DO ANO
    KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
    ALÉM DE NÃO TER PRÊMIOS E SER IRRELEVANTE
    O LIXO DE 2015 NÃO TEM AUDIÊNCIA TAMBÉM
    ULTIMO EPISODIO DESSAS SERIES
    ShowTime: The Affair ‐ 1,11 milhões de espectadores e 0.3 na demo
    STARZ: Outlander ‐ 1,05 milhões de espectadores e 0.5 na demo
    STARZ: Flesh And Bone ‐ 1,03 milhões de espectadores e 0.5 na demo
    HBO: The Leftovers ‐ 993 mil espectadores e 0.4 na demo
    então é isso leftovers fãs, vcs assim como sua série são uma VERGONHA
    e mais uma vez foram massacrados
    LEFTOVERS EU TE ODEIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SIM, VCS NÃO LERAM ERRADO, AS DUAS FORAM DERROTADAS EM UMA UNICA CATEGORIA
    MDS QUE VERGONHAAAAAAAAAAAA
    RAINHA
  7. Jan 14, 2016
    The Leftovers is a very good show if slightly pretentious. Kevin Garvey is a boring character but Nora Durst is really awesome. I like the concept. Good work.
  8. Jan 4, 2016
    My husband and I loved this show from the beginning! Creepy and captivating. We have been binge watching when we can...were just into season 2 and we still love it!
  9. Dec 22, 2015
    For me, I didn't care for this show. I tired to, but I just couldn't get into the who "rapture" thing. I'm sure the book (which the TV series is based on) is much better, but for me The Leftovers is just like "leftovers" for dinner....just not feeling it! Once you had it, you are over it! Sorry :(
  10. Dec 18, 2015
    Makes you wonder who is leaving all these positive reviews one after the other in order after a bunch of horrendous reviews (go figure)! I never watched Lost but I heard that all its fans complained about how they felt cheated out of hours upon hours of their lives. I guess this is the same writer so I can't judge him on whether he is continuing the same theme here: create a show whichMakes you wonder who is leaving all these positive reviews one after the other in order after a bunch of horrendous reviews (go figure)! I never watched Lost but I heard that all its fans complained about how they felt cheated out of hours upon hours of their lives. I guess this is the same writer so I can't judge him on whether he is continuing the same theme here: create a show which poses a bunch of unanswered questions and then end it without anything ever being explained! I watched 3 episodes and I quit, the characters are not captivating though the cop does a good acting job. The story is quite weak so far with societies turning to mush though the "disappeared people" issue has not been addressed once in the first 3 episodes I've watched. I could go on and on about the huge holes in this story but consider my reluctance to do so a message for you not to waste your time! Expand
  11. Dec 14, 2015
    I watch quite a bit of (good) television and this is absolutely one of the best shows on TV. The acting is well above par, especially considering the size of the recurring cast, and the writing is creative and full of effective and impactful symbolism and self-reference. The soundtrack is tasteful and plays into the serious and supernatural elements of the show. Anyone who gives a showI watch quite a bit of (good) television and this is absolutely one of the best shows on TV. The acting is well above par, especially considering the size of the recurring cast, and the writing is creative and full of effective and impactful symbolism and self-reference. The soundtrack is tasteful and plays into the serious and supernatural elements of the show. Anyone who gives a show like this a "0" is absolutely trolling. Expand
  12. WJS
    Dec 7, 2015
    Whenever I see Mimi Leder's name as director in the front credits of this series, I know that it will be a good episode. This series is very strange and frustrating to watch, but it's so well acted and directed, it can be forgiven its unusual quirks. Season two plays out much differently than season one, but it still proves to be compelling television, although I'm still not sure if IWhenever I see Mimi Leder's name as director in the front credits of this series, I know that it will be a good episode. This series is very strange and frustrating to watch, but it's so well acted and directed, it can be forgiven its unusual quirks. Season two plays out much differently than season one, but it still proves to be compelling television, although I'm still not sure if I understand what it's all about. Expand
  13. Nov 23, 2015
    This is very well put together show and season 2 is bringing it all together. The Leftovers balances a gigantic, world-changing sci-fantasy story with achingly small personal tales. I'm glad HBO is producing some amazing surreal content. Highly recommended for connoisseurs good storytelling.
  14. Nov 22, 2015
    I would give the leftovers a 9.5, but since so many reviewers didn't stick around to watch the show develop, I'm giving it a perfect 10. The Leftovers isn't some show with no point, and no preconceived destination, like "Lost" or "Twin Peaks." Rather, each episode builds on the last. Each character becomes deeper and more human. Towards the end of season 2, the slow burn pays off in aI would give the leftovers a 9.5, but since so many reviewers didn't stick around to watch the show develop, I'm giving it a perfect 10. The Leftovers isn't some show with no point, and no preconceived destination, like "Lost" or "Twin Peaks." Rather, each episode builds on the last. Each character becomes deeper and more human. Towards the end of season 2, the slow burn pays off in a big way. When there is so much utter **** on TV, it would break my heart if HBO pulled the plug on this show. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2015
    If you like strong dialogue, great acting and sci-fi this is awesome. I really hope this show is recognized during the Emmy Awards and picked for a third season. Is Patty real? Will Donna Moss ever wake up? Is this just an episode of Dr Who?
  16. Nov 9, 2015
    I hightly enjoyed French tv series Les Revenants / the Returned. I love mysteries and cinematography so I was really looking forward to The Leftovers, but oh boy, what a dull experience this is. I really wonder why this story is filmed? What is interesting about watching everyday life? Nothing.
  17. Nov 8, 2015
    Some episodes are just so beautiful. The music always matches whats on screen and is great. This is the only show that I always watch with my headphones on. I have a feeling this show will have a very mixed bag of feelings as to me it gives me very similar vibes to that when I watched the movie cloud atlas, which I also loved btw. This is probably the best show I have ever watchedSome episodes are just so beautiful. The music always matches whats on screen and is great. This is the only show that I always watch with my headphones on. I have a feeling this show will have a very mixed bag of feelings as to me it gives me very similar vibes to that when I watched the movie cloud atlas, which I also loved btw. This is probably the best show I have ever watched personally. Every episode just feels so complete. The casting is superb, acting is spot on and general story is riveting, sometimes sad and at times fun. It makes you go through so many different emotions and lets you feel what the characters on screen feel. I love it. My biggest worry is that it will get cancelled because like I mentioned it has a similar vibes to cloud atlas which as reviews ranging from Masterpiece to Bad movie. So this shows viewership is not as high as it should be.

If you like any of the following: Cloud Atlas, Magnolia, Memento, Awake you will like this. If you enjoy a deep story, good music you will like this. If you are an generally an artistic person, this is a MUST.
  18. Oct 22, 2015
    This is my favorite TV show ever. I can't understand why people and critics underestimated the show. This is a great lesson about life, people ou love and how you can go through loss or mourning. So yes maybe the action is slow, nothing can happens for a few times but characters personality takes time to develop and the result is amazing.
  19. Oct 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The series contains an amazing density of characters, reaction, emotion, and a sophisticated understanding awareness of how to precisely work the strings of audience sympathy.

Most of the characters contain a rich set of outlooks, motivations, and faults that are put paces through the plot with a sense of almost will it or will it not realism. Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), as one of the main protagonists, is one of the better of this breed currently on television. He is an authority figure as the police chief, father, and mediator, but at the same time his faults make him very vulnerable, and he is not always a good man, he has hate and disgust like everyone else, he is nakedly fearful and stubbornly obstinate and the occasional **** an excellently constructed flawed figure character, with Theoroux doing a stellar job making this character real.

The side characters are also interesting and strong with Matt Jameson (Christopher Ecceleston), a former reverend in the show, who is a fascinating depiction of a man of faith who at the same time is vociferously skeptical of the Sudden Departure being the rapture, often pointing out that departed (the term for those who disappeared) contained some rather despicable be in their ranks as well as innocent and decent ones. His particular character arc that was focused on in “Two Boats and a Helicopter,” one of the arguably best episodes of the series, showed the struggles, sheer determination, and even moments of startling but believable violence that this man goes through, and Eccelston does a great job of portraying this unassuming man who is anything but.

The weaker end of the character chain in the show though would have to be Jill Garvey (Margaret Qualley), Kevin’s daughter. She’s not a wholly bad teenaged character, she does have some moments, but they make her so bratty and emo that it’s hard to really like her. She’s had no real development, and comes across a little to cliché; It’s more that she is there to be the cause of things to happen or to have things happen to her. Though to give Qually credit though, she does the best with what she has and is able to express those quiet moments of genuine emotion quite well, with perhaps her strongest episode being “Cairo.”

Now the part that really shines in this show and boy howdy does it! The story.

At first, there is a leery weariness prevalent when starting out that this is just another religious style doom and gloom, believe in the lord and ye shall be saved style of show, making it more about bible promotion then story, but this show was a pleasant surprise in that, while it does have religious themes couched in the plot, particularly the theme of faith, it’s done intelligently and unobtrusively, not being the central focus of the story, more an element of the consequences that arise from major catastrophic events that effect people. This story’s focus is more on characters in the setting of a post-event culture that sprung up.

It also shows an amazing sophistication in blurring the lines between “sides.” Often in film and television, the main focal point that is shown within a movie or show, the protagonist traditionally, is often the one whom we as viewers want to see succeed, even if the focal character, or “side” shown can logically be said in hindsight to have values that work against our own. For example you could watch a film about an amoral drug dealing **** who is the focal point of a film, but in the end, because you are made to watch from their perspective, you become invested and root for said **** even though in real life you likely wouldn’t hop the pro-drug dealing train (or **** train if you’re a drug dealer). It’s mainly because movies and television induce an inside-looking-out perspective in viewers, always on one side of the line in the sand so to speak, an “Us vrs. Them” scenario. With that in mind, The Leftovers actually manages to effectively manipulate this empathy space relation so well that those you are meant to empathize with are unclear, the show utilizing different richly presented perspectives with a smarter use of moral ambiguity, moving the viewer around the space of the show, on the side of the “normal” towns folk of Mapleton one moment, suddenly on the side of a cult in another, turning on the Garvey family spoke, inducing a state of fluidic sympathy and empathy for pretty much all of them to the point where you are forced to face a narrative in which there is no side or person you are routing for, you are just experiencing like the characters themselves.

A show that can do that, is a very smart show indeed!

The Leftovers is a prime example of quality television with a dense, compelling, and intelligently constructed story, with decent plot progression, a high ratio of relatively unique cast of well-acted and very real characters; a good series for those who enjoy rich drama with just the hint of supernatural mystery.
  20. Aug 25, 2015
    Judging from the reviews this is clearly a love it or hate it series. I love it, am exasperated by it, shake my head at it, but stay glued to the set. I am not someone who needs answers, I can figure things out myself, but the biggest drawback for me is the incomprehensible motivation of most of the characters. 2% of the world goes missing and that makes the rest of us neurotic and gloomy?Judging from the reviews this is clearly a love it or hate it series. I love it, am exasperated by it, shake my head at it, but stay glued to the set. I am not someone who needs answers, I can figure things out myself, but the biggest drawback for me is the incomprehensible motivation of most of the characters. 2% of the world goes missing and that makes the rest of us neurotic and gloomy? Still that is the premise and wallow with these characters I must, since they are as they are. But they are a compelling bunch, well presented by great acting and writing, and many of them do need a good slap every so often. Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2015
    I loved it... It was really mysterious (maybe a little bit too much) and sometimes not easy to understand (that's why I put a 9 ....) I think this TV show leaves you with a hole in you heart... You see that all the characters try to cope with what happened but nothing can fully help them. The music is well chosen ... it reflects the state of mind of the characters: sad, trying to grabI loved it... It was really mysterious (maybe a little bit too much) and sometimes not easy to understand (that's why I put a 9 ....) I think this TV show leaves you with a hole in you heart... You see that all the characters try to cope with what happened but nothing can fully help them. The music is well chosen ... it reflects the state of mind of the characters: sad, trying to grab something, beautiful... I am hoping for a great season 2. Expand
  22. Apr 18, 2015
    If you like being strung along, by writers who have a track record of stringing you along for no other purpose than manipulating you into staying engaged, then THIS IS THE SHOW FOR YOU.

If you watch it as a metaphor for how a society reacts after 9/11 or any other traumatic event, then you're likely to get more out of it. Reality has unresolved moments. Fine. Reality also occasionally provides us a sense of resolution and answers.

I despise being strung along and manipulated. If you enjoy it, have at it.

They've finally made the perfect show for you.
  23. Jan 30, 2015
    While I hated Lost, because I could tell it was written with no real plan to tie things up, I felt differently about this one. Leftovers is an intricately woven show, with threads pulling through and over each other nicely. The acting is great, the script poignant. And it has something that is very rare these days - UNPREDICTABILITY.
    People agonise over whether there will be a reveal or
    People agonise over whether there will be a reveal or not. The show builds mystery upon mystery. But this doesn't trouble me. My amateur reading of it is this: The show is not about those who vanished. It is not about finding an answer - it is about those left behind, and how they deal with the mystery - the 'leftovers'. In this sense it is realistic. It asks what will the affect be if 2% of the pop. vanished overnight? It is an exploration of the psyche - it is philosophical. And it is excellently executed. I love the thoughtful pace, it is beautifully shot - carefully crafted. Very good show.
  24. Dec 22, 2014
    I have no idea why I watched all this, but I did.
    I am fairly sure that the creators have no idea where the series is going.
    It is very very slow and there is absolutely no suggestion at all that any of it will be resolved, ever. Virtually nothing that happens has any real sense to it. It is just a collection of weird characters being 'sad' and 'unsure what next'. I guess you could
    I have no idea why I watched all this, but I did.
    I am fairly sure that the creators have no idea where the series is going.
    Virtually nothing that happens has any real sense to it.
    It is just a collection of weird characters being 'sad' and 'unsure what next'.
    I guess you could sum it up by saying that it is kind of like a small child came up with a weird story about people disappearing and a bunch of actors who fancy themselves as serious decided to go all method on it.
  25. Dec 8, 2014
    From low expectations – a dreary, downbeat, nihilistic season opener – that almost totally turned me off, I gave The Leftovers a second chance – and I’m so glad I did, thanks to some terrific acting, curious but believable (and quite naturalistic) dialogue, and some great use of music and cinematography.

Perhaps it gets some points for being a little quirky – as in different or unusual, rather than goofy/daft, which this occasionally grim show resolutely isn’t – but, considering all the tired, clichéd shows still trotting out the TV stable door, The Leftovers really stood out as something new, fresh and engaging, problems aside.

This “I hated it – now I really like it” attitude mirrors what I’ve heard from other people, who found it struck a chord, and I’d definitely like to see more from this show, and its setting.

However, I absolutely don’t want to see another second of its “teenagers” – those segments were utterly *painful* to watch, and played out like Nihilistic Teens (as written by some middle-aged guys trying to guesstimate what teenagers are like – guys, they’re *nothing* like the weird ‘teens’ in this show; *nobody* is like Those jaded, knowitall, old-before-their-years teen characters in this show).
  26. Nov 14, 2014
    I think anyone moaning about how depressing The Leftovers is are completely missing the point. It's supposed to be depressing. It's about depression. Come on folks, read between the lines. Just because there aren't explosions, **** and childish humour it's obviously a terrible show. I suppose that sums up society today and more importantly the same pathetic attitude to people who sufferI think anyone moaning about how depressing The Leftovers is are completely missing the point. It's supposed to be depressing. It's about depression. Come on folks, read between the lines. Just because there aren't explosions, **** and childish humour it's obviously a terrible show. I suppose that sums up society today and more importantly the same pathetic attitude to people who suffer from mental health problems. The Leftovers is fantastic. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2014
    The Leftovers is boring, dull and mundane. Not even the talented cast shines in this show which offers viewers nothing but the dourness. Nevertheless, great background music!
  28. Oct 31, 2014
    Yes, the tone is bleak, and, yes, the characters are dark. But "The Leftovers" is different: It brought mortality back to television. It's bold and compelling. Great acting, writing, and directing make "The Leftovers" a hit. It won't interest everyone (some will detest it), but its got mystery, wit, and poise that strikes the right kind a people with a chill down their spine.
  29. Oct 6, 2014
    I fail to understand how anyone can rate this show below a 7. Regardless of whether the darkness of mood suits your taste, the acting, wiring and directing are superb. I find myself drawn into this post(rapture?) world. The characters are well drawn and the relationships between them feel very real. I personally love this kind of show with its slow burn, so I’m giving it a 10!
  30. Oct 2, 2014
    Just watched the final episode last night. Excellent series with a great payoff in the final episode. I was really impressed with the acting (especially Justin and Carrie) and even though some might say it was slow I thought the pacing was exactly right. Must buy yhe score when its available as that really helped but I really haven't a bad thing to say about the series as a whole. IJust watched the final episode last night. Excellent series with a great payoff in the final episode. I was really impressed with the acting (especially Justin and Carrie) and even though some might say it was slow I thought the pacing was exactly right. Must buy yhe score when its available as that really helped but I really haven't a bad thing to say about the series as a whole. I can't wait to find out where it will go in the second series. Expand
  31. Sep 28, 2014
  32. Sep 26, 2014
    I'll preface this by saying I'm an Atheist.
    With that out of the way you can guess what my opinion of this is.
    Well you're right. This is utter hogwash, Atheists the world over would dream for the Rapture to happen, so that all the insane and crazy people could disappear and we can live in a world that would quickly start forming unity. I've seen the pilot and I don't plan to see
    I'll preface this by saying I'm an Atheist.
    With that out of the way you can guess what my opinion of this is.

I've seen the pilot and I don't plan to see anything else on it.
    I'm done
  33. Sep 25, 2014
    Wonderful, difficult and compelling. Obviously not for those with a short attention span or in need of something predigested - or easy! As one of the reviewers said, very much like Les Revenants in its mood - no easy answers or revelations here.
  34. Sep 23, 2014
    I just finished the first season and I am blown away. It's very beautiful and eerie. It has a nice pace, brilliant soundtrack and compelling characters. It's not trying to be more than it needs to be. It plays the low key but masterfully. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something a little bit like twin peaks and American beauty. Probably not for everyone. But that's kinda theI just finished the first season and I am blown away. It's very beautiful and eerie. It has a nice pace, brilliant soundtrack and compelling characters. It's not trying to be more than it needs to be. It plays the low key but masterfully. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something a little bit like twin peaks and American beauty. Probably not for everyone. But that's kinda the point I think. I want more. Expand
  35. Sep 18, 2014
    You won't get back the hours you've wasted watching this show. All the poor elements of Lost, Heroes, The Following, etc, rolled into one. And I'll guess there's no explanation / answer at the end of the series, just a cliffhanger for series 2. And it goes on and on...
  36. Sep 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most negative reviews of The Leftovers are based on half-truths and assumptions. Those who watched the whole season know how gripping it actually is.

Every episode brings you deeper into the abyss. Watching an episode of this show means opening yourself up to being dragged down further into despair.

It was all worth it for the smile on Nora's face in the last moments of the last episode of Season 1.

There is hope, people.

You just have to be patient enough to see it.
  37. Sep 14, 2014
    I am completely lost in this show, but in a good way! Leftover is good storytelling—so good, in fact, who really needs a story right now. I'm willing to wait for the writers mold the final image!
  38. Sep 11, 2014
    Just watched the season finale today and loved it! the show took a couple episodes to hook me but once it got going I really enjoyed it! the main character is great and the ideas while far fetched are definitely thought provoking. I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys darker dramas.
  39. Sep 9, 2014
    Wonderfully written. Compelling characters, amazing score, great cinematography. This series started out slowly but has quickly become the best show currently on television. Don't understand all these comparisons with Lost, The Leftovers is a much "deeper" show, a cold analysis of human behaviour and modern society (with more than a little "Lynchian" touch to it). Nice job, HBO.
  40. Sep 9, 2014
    I've never been so torn about a TV show.

It's depressing and disturbing. Sometimes it's actually boring. I still can't stop watching and actually look forward to the new episodes with unbridled excitement.

I think that means I think it's a good show? It's such an unpleasant experience most of the time. It's an absolute must see.
  41. Sep 9, 2014
    Simply one of the best, most thoughtful and well-played fictions on TV, with a truly inventive and mysterious heart. Risky in ways that most TV shows can't begin to imagine, and packs emotional and intellectual punches about who we are and our actual relationship to lost loved ones, here and elsewhere, living and gone.
  42. Sep 8, 2014
    Thanks HBO, an amazing season 10/10! From the teasers trailers to the final episode, this show really got into my head. So many emotions while watching each show, and 9 and 10 were by far the best. The casting is perfect, the acting powerful. I do agree the show is not for everyone, my wife could not watch it, citing what many others agree on, too "depressing", but im not convinced that'sThanks HBO, an amazing season 10/10! From the teasers trailers to the final episode, this show really got into my head. So many emotions while watching each show, and 9 and 10 were by far the best. The casting is perfect, the acting powerful. I do agree the show is not for everyone, my wife could not watch it, citing what many others agree on, too "depressing", but im not convinced that's entirely the right word for it. I enjoyed the emotional rollerscoaster, bring on season 2 please!! Expand
  43. Sep 8, 2014
    I was bored with this after 15mins. I seems to be promoting smoking, weed, very bad language and non consentual rape.
    Not the best of TV and definitely not for me.
  44. Sep 8, 2014
    When the first trailer was released for this show, I knew it was going to be good and the show looked very interesting. It had a very weird trailer with a lot of WTF moments and that made it different from all the other TV shows out there. Each week, this shows gets better and better. Now, it's my second favorite new show this year. The writing and directing of each episode are fantasticWhen the first trailer was released for this show, I knew it was going to be good and the show looked very interesting. It had a very weird trailer with a lot of WTF moments and that made it different from all the other TV shows out there. Each week, this shows gets better and better. Now, it's my second favorite new show this year. The writing and directing of each episode are fantastic and each episode gets protruded into more madness. The score is beautiful and they really know how to put the right music at the right time. The plot is very entertaining as more what the hell is going on and it keeps you very focused. Justin Theroux knocks it out of the park as Kevin Garvey. He plays him perfectly as the character has trouble deciding what is real and what isn't. The character continuously spirals out of control and it's awesome to see what crazy series of events happen next. Finally, teenagers I can actually like in a show. They're acting is great and they don't weigh down the series. The show has also implanted two POV episodes and that is rare for a show given its infancy. They were fantastic and a perfect way just to see 1 character that we wanted to know more. The Leftovers has so many WTF moments and characters, viewers might want to close their eyes. It's not for the faint of heart as the show is dark, bleak, and very somber. It amazingly has a few glimmers of hope there and there. Never has a show with so many bleak and dark story lines has interested me this much. The season finale ends on a high note, another amazing episode. At the end, there is hope for some of the characters. The Leftovers is definitely one of the best new shows this year. Don't just read the reviews from critics and users. Go watch it. Can't wait for season 2. Expand
  45. Sep 8, 2014
    It started slow but it's gotten better with each episode. The last three episodes of the first season are great, very well written, acted and directed. They also unveil a lot of things that have been a mystery all season. The show is very dark, bleak, and even depressing sometimes but there is a lot going on beneath the surface. Everything reaches a breaking point in the finale, but bringsIt started slow but it's gotten better with each episode. The last three episodes of the first season are great, very well written, acted and directed. They also unveil a lot of things that have been a mystery all season. The show is very dark, bleak, and even depressing sometimes but there is a lot going on beneath the surface. Everything reaches a breaking point in the finale, but brings up even more questions, especially concerning the ones that borderline on the supernatural. All in all, the first season was great. Expand
  46. JSL
    Sep 4, 2014
    The premise is excellent but the execution is better. The premise is haunting--what would you do if 2 percent of the world just disappeared? The characters are rich, with much thanks to the intelligent writing and the excellent acting. This psychological thriller is true to what makes us tick and, while each development is understandable after it happens, the series is creative andThe premise is excellent but the execution is better. The premise is haunting--what would you do if 2 percent of the world just disappeared? The characters are rich, with much thanks to the intelligent writing and the excellent acting. This psychological thriller is true to what makes us tick and, while each development is understandable after it happens, the series is creative and impossible to predict. Strongly recommended! Expand
  47. Sep 4, 2014
    This is a series for the thinker, the philosopher, the existentialist, the therapist. It is asking the big questions, and let the viewer try to make sense of happenings. And the main characters are very attractive in addition to their good acting skills. Not everyone's cup of tea. If you liked True Detective and Breaking Bad I think this series will also be appealing to you. I'veThis is a series for the thinker, the philosopher, the existentialist, the therapist. It is asking the big questions, and let the viewer try to make sense of happenings. And the main characters are very attractive in addition to their good acting skills. Not everyone's cup of tea. If you liked True Detective and Breaking Bad I think this series will also be appealing to you. I've watched nine episodes up till now and am fascinated. It will be offensive to fundamentalists and "sensitive-to-vioolence" viewers. Expand
  48. Sep 3, 2014
    great show. class A show like sopranos and true detective. well acted and written. quite artistic and heavy. be prepared for a slow paced show... it gets better and better
  49. Sep 2, 2014
    I want my money and those 3h back HBO. The rapture premise is basically a scam.
    There is no attempt to explain where the chosen went. Aliens, God, Flash combustion?
    Will it happen again? Will they return? Will we know? I don’t mind a philosophical show at the occasion, but it better be worth it. And this is not. An episode of The LeftOvers loses the viewer in confusion and non
    I want my money and those 3h back HBO. The rapture premise is basically a scam.
    Will it happen again? Will they return? Will we know?
    An episode of The LeftOvers loses the viewer in confusion and non happening with the feeling to have been robbed of one hour. Bad acting, bad scripting, bad story.
    Seriously HBO, cancel me that ****
  50. Aug 26, 2014
    good show but please get to the dang point you are dragging a it a little to long and this last episode woow all that could have been covered a lot earlier i just don't know what is taking so long
  51. Aug 25, 2014
    I find Justin T to be surprisingly an amazing actor. I feel what he feels. I think all the acting is really good. It's like the left behind books, only not focused so much on the people coming to Christ, it's more on real life situations, people lost and trying to make sense of it all, without talking about the elephant in the room. Some of the story line was confusing at first. JustinI find Justin T to be surprisingly an amazing actor. I feel what he feels. I think all the acting is really good. It's like the left behind books, only not focused so much on the people coming to Christ, it's more on real life situations, people lost and trying to make sense of it all, without talking about the elephant in the room. Some of the story line was confusing at first. Justin kept me interested because of his acting skills. One more episode left.... I will give it another season!! Usually when I love something, it gets canceled.. Hope not! Expand
  52. Aug 20, 2014
    I have to say that I decided to write a review after reading the others reviews. Why ? Because it seams that a lot of people just looks for happy ending. And this is not a series with happy endings. (Maybe their lives are so miserable that they don’t want to be reminded of it) If you are looking for a realistic, what if, mystery, this is a series for you. Is a well-done script that keepsI have to say that I decided to write a review after reading the others reviews. Why ? Because it seams that a lot of people just looks for happy ending. And this is not a series with happy endings. (Maybe their lives are so miserable that they don’t want to be reminded of it) If you are looking for a realistic, what if, mystery, this is a series for you. Is a well-done script that keeps you all the way and makes you want to know more. Is one of those stories that you don’t need any special effects, Damon brings his well known story telling to a new field. Hopefully we are not going to have a silly ending like Lost, but from the first episodes you really get addicted to it. And for all of those who ever imagine a rapture, Well this is what it looks like… Expand
  53. Aug 19, 2014
    Amazing concept! Every week I want more and can't wait for the next one.

A look into the psychology of masses of people confronted by a massive loss. Which leads to a variety of reactions among the public, cults being one of those.

The question of the purpose of life arises when others are just gone in an instant, I'd love to find out more!
  54. Aug 19, 2014
    We've been watching it since the pilot episode. ~Yawn~. No one knows why the speechless white garbed people chain smoke. No one knows why they seem so intent on annoying the local townspeople. No one knows why the mysterious no named man with a gob of chaw in his lower lip is killing dogs.
    This show is incredibly depressing with a jerky narrative (if any at all) and too many 'showdowns' for the sake of drama. I'm done.
    I'll watch the news if I care to be saddened and depressed.
  55. Aug 19, 2014
    The pros - Compelling acting. Able direction. Decent script. Just enough FX, and well-done. Mysterious.

The cons - I can't seem to get attached or even interested in any of the characters. So much 'weird', without the nuance of a seasoned 'weird' director like Lynch. Baffling plot points (dogs, smoking cult, etc.) are left to linger throughout the season - too long, stopped caring. People behaving unrealistically (still driving, taking buses, subways, presumably airplanes, despite what happened? Right.)

It's a super slow burn. I contrast this to Falling Skies, which is a fast, silly burn. Both ends of a spectrum. Both end up mediocre.
  56. Aug 18, 2014
    The correct name should be " The Unanswered Tangent Show " . Basically the script goes horizontally opening situations that either go unanswered or that are forgotten. It pretends to be profound by creating a heavy overall climate with deep silences or still shots, but the lack of a good script is evident. Instead of an intelligent honest story this show is plagued by chicanery. OnlyThe correct name should be " The Unanswered Tangent Show " . Basically the script goes horizontally opening situations that either go unanswered or that are forgotten. It pretends to be profound by creating a heavy overall climate with deep silences or still shots, but the lack of a good script is evident. Instead of an intelligent honest story this show is plagued by chicanery. Only good acting saves the day a little bit. But not enough . Expand
  57. Aug 18, 2014
    After seven or eight episodes I am finally done with this never ending negative assault on my psyche. The death of the white dressed chain smoking leader registered nary a pump on my interest Richter scale. Who cares. The show should be pulled now. On a positive note the episode with the preacher was terrific, the cops new squeeze is sexy - but overall too little to invest even an hour a week.
  58. Aug 18, 2014
    Fantastic show!!

Don't be fooled by the "I need answers and I need them now" brigade, This show is a mesmerizing journey of confusion and disorientation, Its characters share a pain a lot of us will never truly understand, the world has gone mad(or mad-er) and the result is combination of Lost, The twilight zone and Breaking Bad).
  59. Aug 18, 2014
    Dark, Moody and like Lost (Lindelof's ground-breaking series) it doesn't pander to the less attentive and the impatient, This is an intriguing and thought provoking ride about grief and loss in the most extraordinary of circumstances.
  60. Aug 15, 2014
    Must say this show is the best i have seen next after True Detective.
    Must say this show is the best i have seen next after True Detective.
    I know it sounds lame the overall plot, with people missing without explanation – but it is just the trigger effect, to get the drama up and run. It is in the intense moment where people in the world realize that the pain in the world is real – and there is not much to do other than trying to do the right thing, despite how uncomfortable it is. How they as human beings need to trust their human sense and start do the right thing (what that ever is?). There is no help in religion in politics in society – there is only help in their own humanity. That drama – when confronted with that - is epic television.
  61. Aug 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. Like a modern-day X-files? While I do not believe the religious mumbo-jumbo going on in the background (presented like an unnamed character), this very well-written program appears to me to be similar to a modern day X-files program (example-1: the government man offers to deal with the G.R. problem in Mapleton "if the sheriff agrees to have something done"; example-2: the government is involve in collecting/collating 180 questions provided by people trying to collect post-rapture insurance). On a different note, notice how the kids appear to be acting normal (for kids) but the adults are screwy and the older ones are just plain nuts? Collapse
  62. Aug 14, 2014
    I think I gave this series a chance, I watched the first four episodes and found it very frustrating. Episode 3 was alright but I just couldn't tolerate any longer how coy the producers were about shedding any light on what was happening. Example: the Guilty Remnant. The leftovers who didn't join the GRs must have known something about this cult yet none of that is shared with theI think I gave this series a chance, I watched the first four episodes and found it very frustrating. Episode 3 was alright but I just couldn't tolerate any longer how coy the producers were about shedding any light on what was happening. Example: the Guilty Remnant. The leftovers who didn't join the GRs must have known something about this cult yet none of that is shared with the viewer. After four hours all I knew was that the GRs don't speak, wear only white and smoke too much. The GRs also make the leftovers angry; well The Leftovers made ME angry. With each passing episode I felt increasingly like a schmuck for watching. Expand
  63. Aug 11, 2014
    There is waaayyy too much use of the f word in this show! With the entire English vocabulary to use, why aren't the writers smarter or more clever? It's bothering me so much! Come on, writers! Please. It's like in every sentence! It's ridiculous.
  64. Aug 9, 2014
    I feel like people are really not giving this show a chance to develop. Yes! The show is dark. I keep hearing people call it depressing. I happen to be one of those people who enjoys that sort of thing and quite frankly if you don't enjoy that sort of show then this show is not for you. However if you do enjoy that sort of thing and if you can be patient with the show through the firstI feel like people are really not giving this show a chance to develop. Yes! The show is dark. I keep hearing people call it depressing. I happen to be one of those people who enjoys that sort of thing and quite frankly if you don't enjoy that sort of show then this show is not for you. However if you do enjoy that sort of thing and if you can be patient with the show through the first couple episodes you will find yourself looking forward to the next episode. People need to give this show more of a chance. Expand
  65. Aug 5, 2014
    Finally, has television begun to create shows that allows audiences to explore greater depths of themselves and others. Shows in which individuals can learn through discussion with others. Once again, has Lindelof created a beautifully crafted series. One that not only entertains the audience, but also makes the audience think. For far too long has television delivered mind-numbingFinally, has television begun to create shows that allows audiences to explore greater depths of themselves and others. Shows in which individuals can learn through discussion with others. Once again, has Lindelof created a beautifully crafted series. One that not only entertains the audience, but also makes the audience think. For far too long has television delivered mind-numbing performances. But finally, hope has been restored to television. No thanks to the newly televised series "The Strain" or other sloppily written programs, that the average viewer could create. Is that not the point of television? To open the eyes of the everyday viewer, to expand horizons? "The Leftovers" is art. Expand
  66. Aug 5, 2014
    People , don't project your wants and desires on this series then be disappointed it's not what you expected.
    I was expecting 50 shades of grey to be a book filled with paint samples. Should I give it a negative quotation because it wasn't?
    Don't review things you don't understand.
    Have a nice day.
  67. Aug 4, 2014
    Good Grief!!! The title of this show suggests what it's created from... leftovers. Leftover ideas, scripts, stories that didn't make it into other films or shows... in other words it's created from dregs. There is absolutely NO PURPOSE to this show whatsoever. It goes nowhere, explains nothing, goes off on tangents and takes itself way to seriously. I had such huge hopes for this show fromGood Grief!!! The title of this show suggests what it's created from... leftovers. Leftover ideas, scripts, stories that didn't make it into other films or shows... in other words it's created from dregs. There is absolutely NO PURPOSE to this show whatsoever. It goes nowhere, explains nothing, goes off on tangents and takes itself way to seriously. I had such huge hopes for this show from the poster, trailer and pilot episode, but 5 episodes in... and I feel like I wasted 5 hours of my life. With all this said, the performances are good, the direction and mood are great, but again, audiences need some substance. Some of the characters in the show only communicate via writing on pencil and paper. It held my interest for a couple episodes, but again, we are not given any reason or point to this behavior. Don't waste your time on this show folks, there's a lot of great TV out there. Check out 'The Returned,' a french show on bbc... which has great performance, the eerie suspenseful mood... and a SCRIPT that actually tells a story!! Shame on HBO. Who would pay for Leftovers!! Expand
  68. Aug 4, 2014
    and also here: where demon lindelof is involved the nerdy **** is not very far away.

i liked the show very much - so far. for me it is not so much about the resolution. the series has it´s breathtaking moments in acting and screenwriting. and it is very slow, patient and compassionate. but the audience needs these skills too. you need to look closely you need to listen carefully. my suggestion is: don´t watch this series with the mind. watch it with the heart. "the leftovers" is like a surreal dream. it´s full of questions and full of very interesting characters. if you give "the leftovers" time to grow it will pay you with some of the best moments of television this year.
  69. Aug 4, 2014
    Wow, I just read a review where it says that the characters are compelling and I'd like to say that it is completely the opposite. One of the reason I cannot like this show is because of the characters. I do not care about any of them, I tried to but if they all depart tomorrow to meet the other ones that are already gone and there is no more show then to me it will be the best episodeWow, I just read a review where it says that the characters are compelling and I'd like to say that it is completely the opposite. One of the reason I cannot like this show is because of the characters. I do not care about any of them, I tried to but if they all depart tomorrow to meet the other ones that are already gone and there is no more show then to me it will be the best episode ever. I have stopped after 4 episodes...I could not take it anymore. Depressing, not very good plot, cannot stand the stupid guilty remnants, that is such an idiotic cult group. Expand
  70. Aug 3, 2014
    Godawful show. Unlike most of you who gave the show a low score, I watched several episodes before finally having mercy on myself and switching off in the middle of the latest episode. Whoever writes this show is just trying to shock people, but unlike game of thrones, which also is shocking, it fails to entertain, and just ends up being annoying. The only reason I have HBO is because ofGodawful show. Unlike most of you who gave the show a low score, I watched several episodes before finally having mercy on myself and switching off in the middle of the latest episode. Whoever writes this show is just trying to shock people, but unlike game of thrones, which also is shocking, it fails to entertain, and just ends up being annoying. The only reason I have HBO is because of the high quality of their shows....boardwalk empire, game of thrones, and many others. Why HBO would get involved with this stinkbomb eludes me. Expand
  71. Jul 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many questions, so little answers. I heard this is nothing like the book, which is nice since I haven't read the book. The acting is decent, except for a few minor characters including Aimee, Jill and their friends. Justin Theroux is nice to look at. Expand
  72. Jul 29, 2014
    Love it!!! i dont know why everybody is like, why the smoking or why the white clothes? the series has 5 episodes guys, we have to wait several seasons to know why all that stuff in Lost, have a little faith in the leftovers hahah i guess it will be a great series....
  73. Jul 29, 2014
    How people don't find this show and its characters compelling is beyond me. I feel that this is one of the best shows to premiere in a while.
    It is shot and designed beautifully, and the acting is all around awesome. The subtle way it explores how different people deal with tragedy I find so interesting, and think the show has up to this point done very well. Any time you can feel the tension merely as the viewer shows how great the show is. Especially with an episode like Season 1 Episode 5.
    The Leftovers isn't fast paced and is subtlety executed, which is why i think most people cant enjoy it. The way the show is shrouded in mystery, just like the event that occurred, just adds to it brilliance. The characters in the show don't know what happened, i think its an effective device for the viewers to not know either. I think peoples frustration with not knowing what happened in the event further illustrates this effect. If this event actually happened the same people who are frustrated viewers would be frustrated people real life. If you are a person waiting or complaining that the event is unexplained and hope that you will in future episodes find out what caused it, you are missing the point of the show completely. The show isn't about what happened, its about how people deal with what happened.
    Stop comparing it to lost and true detective. They are both completely different shows.
  74. Jul 28, 2014
    "The Leftovers" is an aptly named show. Much of the show feels like just that, leftovers. The acting is on average sub par, the story as well, and neither make effective use of the underpinnings of the theme. I've watched two episodes so far hoping to see something compelling but so far I'm wishing I had watched something fresh. Pun intended.
  75. Jul 28, 2014
    Hey HBO, Stop trying to force this show to be a hit! I feel like every chance you get you force this crap down our throats. The trailers peeked my curiosity enough to watch the first episodes however after forcing myself to get through the pilot episode I was very disappointed. I tuned in because of the disappearance of 2% of the worlds population, which seems to no longer be a big deal orHey HBO, Stop trying to force this show to be a hit! I feel like every chance you get you force this crap down our throats. The trailers peeked my curiosity enough to watch the first episodes however after forcing myself to get through the pilot episode I was very disappointed. I tuned in because of the disappearance of 2% of the worlds population, which seems to no longer be a big deal or concern on the show. Which leads me to believe the question of where they went and if they will come back will never be answered. So the very thing that got me to watch the show is out the window. I almost feel lied to, like I signed up for a lecture on reproduction but got a lecture on abortion instead. This is one show you should abort. Forgetting the fact that what drew people in to watch the pilot has been abandoned almost immediately, the lack of an interesting cast of characters leaves this show hollow and straight up depressing. Luckily we get a pick me up after this crap airs thanks to "Last week tonight with John Oliver" but I can no longer sit through "The leftovers" waiting to get to John's show. Someone please put this show out of its misery! Expand
  76. Jul 28, 2014
    Terrible. I was so excited for this show when I saw the trailer, but this show basically IS the trailer; a bunch of emotional scenes were supposed to be provoked by. I have news for you HBO, in order to feel empathy for the characters we have to first have character development, which you should know since you have created so many amazingly written series. I'm not saying I have to likeTerrible. I was so excited for this show when I saw the trailer, but this show basically IS the trailer; a bunch of emotional scenes were supposed to be provoked by. I have news for you HBO, in order to feel empathy for the characters we have to first have character development, which you should know since you have created so many amazingly written series. I'm not saying I have to like the characters, sometimes it's even better when you don't like them, because you don't have to be liked to be interesting. Apart from the priest, whose storyline does evoke emotion, pity, and the desire to want him to be happy; everyone's character has one note. Chief Garvey is completely immature and self righteous (and its almost like he is trying to be bruding at he same time which just feels weird); why does he even want his job as chief anyway? He appears to hate every minute of it, treats everyone around him terribly, litters in his own town (throwing the baby doll out the window? Is that necessary?), and shows no compassion for a town he is supposed to watch out for.
    'The Leftovers' is a victim of each role thinking their character is the deepest, most important, most damaged, etc.. I blame this on the writers, not the actors. Except Justin Theroux. I blame him. Change your facial expression for crying out loud (his daughter seems to have this same problem as well). And this show shouldn't have the excuse of saying "well this is just how people deal with tragedy".. NO! We are still human, and after 3 years you can't expect an entire town to not only have not moved on, but to all essentially feel the same thing. Everything is cynical and depressing, and I'm sorry but it does not go on in perpetuity. Haven't you heard of "time heals all wounds"?
    I've watched the first four episodes, and only when I have nothing else I want to watch and nothing better to do. I keep hoping it will get better, but it disappoints me every time. And I want to clarify that the show doesn't depress me (because that would at least be something), it feels cheap and gimmicky and I'm left feeling annoyed at myself for having wasted my time.. Kind of like how I feel after watching the Real Housewives. I get nothing from either, but at least the latter can make me laugh.
    Please HBO, give us something "six feet under"-worthy. Now THAT was an amazing show.
    No shot this show gets a second season (unless they signed on for 2? I'm not sure how that works)
  77. Jul 28, 2014
    This is possibly the worst series I've ever attempted to watch. Sad, cause after reading about the premise I was looking forward to it. I had to force myself to watch the first episode to the end, hoping for some twist or event to capture my interest. Nothing. Just ugh. Awful show.
  78. Jul 27, 2014
    I don't understand all the hate for this great show....I look forward to watching this every Sunday because True Blood has been disappointing lately..
  79. Jul 26, 2014
    Let me preface this review by emphasizing that I have not seen a single episode of ''Lost" or any other work attributed to Mr. Lindelof, and thus hold no bias against him or his work.

Having disclosed that fact, I must say that "The Leftovers" is absolutely dreary without any redeeming qualities. It is quite dark and brooding, but not at all engaging (for a great alternative, consider "True Detective", which is dark and incredibly engaging). .The acting on this show is often quite lackluster, too. The actress portraying Jill Garvey, for one example,is awful...reminds me of Kristen Stewart in the "Twilight" movie series. As for the main theme, the disappearance of 2% of world's population, it has been very much sensationalized--yes, 140 million people disappeared but there are still 6.7+ billion people left...it is not the end of the world, so stop feeling sorry for yourselves! Instead of exploring the mystery of the disappearance and leading toward some meaningful answers, "The Leftovers" seems content in showing viewers random shots of how miserable all the main characters are.

I have watched the first five episodes; I really do not know if I will tune in for episode 6. .
  80. Jul 25, 2014
    It really isn't for everybody. Additionally, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly pitch this story idea to anyone without it sounding like weekly hour of tedium. However, the tone is intriguing, and the cast is great. While the first couple of episodes wandered a bit, the subsequent episodes seem to be moving the story along.

In short: give it a go. At least for the first several

In short: give it a go. At least for the first several episodes. If you don't like it after 4, it's probably not for you.

The ultimate fate of this show is contained in how it will eventually end. Too many shows are hindered by having an open ended story line, and giving the impression that the writers are making things up as they go along. If there IS a vision about where this story is going, and the plans don't have that story spreading too thin across too many seasons, the Leftovers could really have something good. There doesn't even need to be an answer to the ultimate question of the series (what happened to all those missing), just a resolution for the characters to which we grow attached.
  81. Jul 25, 2014
    That's it! After four episodes of nothing happening, I'm about to give up on this. One more episode to do something with this non-story. I'm not THAT curious about what happened to the missing people to put up this boredom. One more episode is all I'm giving it.
  82. Jul 23, 2014
    This show isn't worth writing an extensive review. Lets just say, it's not good. The best way to describe The Leftovers is "incoherent". And what's with the quiet cult? It must have been a hard sell to the actors, mainly because its stupid and boring. I'll look into my crystal ball...this shows gets progressively worse........and has a terrible ending.
  83. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Coming from someone that has read the book.

Obviously this is going to be tampered with due to the expert nonsense writer Mr MacGuffin Damon Lindelof.
    This will offer no comfort but the book is right up his ally as it is just nonsense also, nothing is explained and it just ends.

The weird cult non-speaking, chain smoking people that looks as threatening as a WI jam making group - not explained
    The Huggy Black, young Asian girl loving cult freak - Not explained.
    Why 2% 140 million people vanished, not really explained.
    Why after 3 years everyone became dumber than the average Justin Bieber fan- no explained.

Also just to add, nothing is explained, you will get more sense reading the telephone directory than this show, its will just do a Lost, add more nonsense on top of nonsense and you will get all confused and never have any reveal.

Just watch The Strain, or The Last ship, or maybe True Blood, not great shows, but far better than this crap, and they don't have many if any annoying teens in them.
  84. Jul 22, 2014
    I tried to like this, but it's become saccharin in it's silliness and over the top violin background music blandness, that I've actually begun to view it as a comedy. Do I care about these characters, not really. The Chief's kids are moronic, the whole wife left me for a cult premise is ridiculous (they look like the most impossible couple casting could come up with...). It seems likeI tried to like this, but it's become saccharin in it's silliness and over the top violin background music blandness, that I've actually begun to view it as a comedy. Do I care about these characters, not really. The Chief's kids are moronic, the whole wife left me for a cult premise is ridiculous (they look like the most impossible couple casting could come up with...). It seems like it was made for network TV, not cable. The writing is awful, as is much of the acting (which isn't really their fault with a vehicle such as this). Even the opening title sequence, it tempts us with a Sistine chapel-esque portraits of people levitating up to a Heaven of sorts. But after the 4th episode, it's a boring as clay. Expand
  85. Jul 22, 2014
    If you are going to be dealing with highly depressing themes, you need to think about having some positive redeeming factor, to counter-balance them. Unfortunately for the viewer, the show is entirely depressing and sad. Couple that with terrible acting, subpar writing, pretentious themes and some downright annoying subplots/story lines and you have the formula for a really bad show. I'llIf you are going to be dealing with highly depressing themes, you need to think about having some positive redeeming factor, to counter-balance them. Unfortunately for the viewer, the show is entirely depressing and sad. Couple that with terrible acting, subpar writing, pretentious themes and some downright annoying subplots/story lines and you have the formula for a really bad show. I'll give it one more episode but me writing this while watching the third episode tells you everything you need to know... Expand
  86. Jul 21, 2014
    After 3 episodes of mediocre exposition I'm done with this thing. Get it off the air ASAP. Nothing happens and it seems to go nowhere. The latest episode title says it best.... Why are we still here?
  87. Jul 21, 2014
    Two rules that I go by when judging new TV shows: A) Is there any other show on right now that is similar to it? B) Is it unpredictable or is it a familiar formula with new HBO paint.
    The answer to A is that while there are many end-of-the-world show on right now, (all with world ending badly), none other seem to be tackling a possible biblical rapture. Yet this isn't some Left Behind story with Christian overtones. And B, it IS unpredictable and the characters are crazily off balance, careering from one crisis to the next.
    The writing and dialogue are sharp, there is a palpable atmosphere of uncertainty in the show as characters try to come to grip with what has happened and what could possibly come next. Local government and news media are just pretending to be in control when it's clear to everyone that there is no real control.
    I started watching The Leftovers and the final season of True Blood at the same time and True Blood looks like it should be on Nickelodeon with once interesting characters playing stereotypes of themselves. The Leftovers is far superior in every way and it's one of the new shows that I actually look forward to each week. I hope it has a long and successful run.
  88. Jul 20, 2014
    I'm still not quite sure what to make of this series, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never do. The plot is a bit convoluted, and I feel like there's too many mysteries thrown at me all at once before I've even invested enough time to care about solving them. And apparently the main mystery is never going to be solved which is a bit of let down. However, there's something about the showI'm still not quite sure what to make of this series, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never do. The plot is a bit convoluted, and I feel like there's too many mysteries thrown at me all at once before I've even invested enough time to care about solving them. And apparently the main mystery is never going to be solved which is a bit of let down. However, there's something about the show that keeps me watching. I guess I'm one of those few that actually like how dark and depressing it is. However, I'm about 99% sure that the plot will end up somewhere stupid or nowhere at all, and I'll be pissed that I spent so much time anticipating each episode. Keeping fingers crossed that I'm wrong about that. Expand
  89. Jul 20, 2014
    Pretty bad. First episode totally did not keep my interest. I'll give it 4 episodes in, because that's how long True Blood got to get me hooked. I was hoping for better.
  90. Jul 20, 2014
    Oh please, please don't let this show disappear because a bunch of mindless numbskulls would rather watch something with an overload of "events". This is a very promising show, and after three episodes, I can easily say I am hooked. It's extremely well acted, written and produced. As soon as I read the premise, which I immediately found interesting, I expected the show to be cheesy, butOh please, please don't let this show disappear because a bunch of mindless numbskulls would rather watch something with an overload of "events". This is a very promising show, and after three episodes, I can easily say I am hooked. It's extremely well acted, written and produced. As soon as I read the premise, which I immediately found interesting, I expected the show to be cheesy, but premises and plotlines like this usually yield something disappointing. But this does not disappoint. I think any fan of France's "The Returned" should give the Leftovfers a try. Expand
  91. Jul 20, 2014
    What the heck is this?Ive tried the pilot.I wont watch more of this **** kinda dumb?Some terrible actors in this too, great.And like many other people wrote here:Where are all te funny guys?It seems only depressed and bored people walk the earth in this show.Sorry, i try 3 EPs per show and then comes my conclusion.Will i watch 3 EPs of this show??The pilot was so boring and depressing illWhat the heck is this?Ive tried the pilot.I wont watch more of this **** kinda dumb?Some terrible actors in this too, great.And like many other people wrote here:Where are all te funny guys?It seems only depressed and bored people walk the earth in this show.Sorry, i try 3 EPs per show and then comes my conclusion.Will i watch 3 EPs of this show??The pilot was so boring and depressing ill quite right after it!This suckz! Expand
  92. Jul 18, 2014
    I fell asleep on BOTH attempts to watch this show. I had pretty decent expectations and it sounded intriguing, but it was incredibly boring. It had flat characters, bad pacing, and an emptiness to it.
  93. Jul 18, 2014
    Why does Metacritic allow people/websites to post reviews for an entire season after only the first episode? That's like reviewing a movie after the first 15 minutes! Idiocracy!
  94. Jul 18, 2014
    This show is amazing, such a great surprise! The characters are all great, the story mysterious and intriguing, the editing and the directing absolutely fantastic. I would give the show a 9 if it wasn't for the perfect third episode (seriously, it's up there with the best episodes I've ever seen) and if it wasn't for the shear amount of misplaced hate I can see around here. I personallyThis show is amazing, such a great surprise! The characters are all great, the story mysterious and intriguing, the editing and the directing absolutely fantastic. I would give the show a 9 if it wasn't for the perfect third episode (seriously, it's up there with the best episodes I've ever seen) and if it wasn't for the shear amount of misplaced hate I can see around here. I personally recommend you give it a shot- it seems like the kind of show you either fall in love with or hate with a vengeance (going by the reviews) and I personally love it. Expand
  95. Jul 17, 2014
    Well, it sucks! Most of the people that have given it good ratings are Jennifer Aniston fans, therefore Justin fans by default. You can tell by looking at how many other shows they rated. In most cases it is the only show they have ever rated and they give it a 10? Hmmm.....
  96. Jul 16, 2014
    Unsettling and depressing with a storyline that you can't help but be intrigued by. A strong cast that showcase their abilities from the outset. While I haven't read the book it is based on, I have high hopes.
  97. Jul 15, 2014
    I have watched 3 episodes and I have to say The Leftovers tv series is how I feel about my wife's leftovers in the fridge "blah". I watched Lost and it didn't end well, but at least it had a ton of redeeming qualities you fell in love with the characters and the mystery of the island. I honestly hate every character in the leftovers and wouldn't mind if they were all killed off. I willI have watched 3 episodes and I have to say The Leftovers tv series is how I feel about my wife's leftovers in the fridge "blah". I watched Lost and it didn't end well, but at least it had a ton of redeeming qualities you fell in love with the characters and the mystery of the island. I honestly hate every character in the leftovers and wouldn't mind if they were all killed off. I will give it a few more episodes just because there aren't currently a ton of TV options. Not all series can be as interesting as True Detective. Expand
  98. Jul 15, 2014
    I really wanted like this show as it has all the elements of a great and meaningful journey. I simply do not know what is going on nor do I want to know. To grab a person and keep their interest in caring for the story to unfold you have to provide something likable about either the characters or an intrigue to the storyline. I felt it failed on both counts. Am sure there would be lots ofI really wanted like this show as it has all the elements of a great and meaningful journey. I simply do not know what is going on nor do I want to know. To grab a person and keep their interest in caring for the story to unfold you have to provide something likable about either the characters or an intrigue to the storyline. I felt it failed on both counts. Am sure there would be lots of folks that love this TV Series but it’s too frustrating for me to even care. It could have been something special but it’s overly pretentious without the credence of twin peaks style intrigue. It’s simply disjointed to the point where the viewer has to try too hard to invest in its development thus appealing to a niche market. Expand
  99. Jul 14, 2014
    An intriguing premise supported by a solid cast. Tom Eccleston is particularly good as the conflicted clergyman. I look forward to seeing where this goes. If it ends in a fizzle a la Lost, I will be a bit ticked off, but so far I'm onboard.
  100. Jul 14, 2014
    Horribly dull, pretentious and unbearable crap. It's summertime yet we are supposed to watch these lifeless unlikable characters' suffering? How and why does this show have a high critic score? This is the most overrated show I've ever seen. What's with Lindelof's writing of humans? People just don't behave the way he portrays them in film or television. Lindelof's hipster defenders willHorribly dull, pretentious and unbearable crap. It's summertime yet we are supposed to watch these lifeless unlikable characters' suffering? How and why does this show have a high critic score? This is the most overrated show I've ever seen. What's with Lindelof's writing of humans? People just don't behave the way he portrays them in film or television. Lindelof's hipster defenders will retort with "Well you just don't get it because your too simple minded." No I get it. His writing is atrocious. He creates characters the average viewer could not identify or connect with. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Aug 7, 2014
    The narrative flow is murky and chaotic, and at times it chokes up.... But The Leftovers builds in potency.
  2. Reviewed by: Zach Hollwedel
    Jul 3, 2014
    There's enough intrigue driving the premise to set The Leftovers up as a promising series; whether the show can maintain its momentum or succumbs to the weight of the myriad, potentially frustrating mysteries behind it remains to be seen.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 30, 2014
    The lack of a coherent storyline, even in a piece dedicated to exploring the lack of coherence in the world, makes The Leftovers a frustrating challenge.