• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 29, 2014
6.6

1. Apr 18, 2015
    If you like being strung along, by writers who have a track record of stringing you along for no other purpose than manipulating you into staying engaged, then THIS IS THE SHOW FOR YOU.

If you watch it as a metaphor for how a society reacts after 9/11 or any other traumatic event, then you're likely to get more out of it. Reality has unresolved moments. Fine. Reality also occasionally provides us a sense of resolution and answers.

I despise being strung along and manipulated. If you enjoy it, have at it.

They've finally made the perfect show for you.
  2. Jan 30, 2015
    While I hated Lost, because I could tell it was written with no real plan to tie things up, I felt differently about this one. Leftovers is an intricately woven show, with threads pulling through and over each other nicely. The acting is great, the script poignant. And it has something that is very rare these days - UNPREDICTABILITY.
    People agonise over whether there will be a reveal or
    People agonise over whether there will be a reveal or not. The show builds mystery upon mystery. But this doesn't trouble me. My amateur reading of it is this: The show is not about those who vanished. It is not about finding an answer - it is about those left behind, and how they deal with the mystery - the 'leftovers'. In this sense it is realistic. It asks what will the affect be if 2% of the pop. vanished overnight? It is an exploration of the psyche - it is philosophical. And it is excellently executed. I love the thoughtful pace, it is beautifully shot - carefully crafted. Very good show.
  3. Dec 22, 2014
    I have no idea why I watched all this, but I did.
    I am fairly sure that the creators have no idea where the series is going.
    It is very very slow and there is absolutely no suggestion at all that any of it will be resolved, ever. Virtually nothing that happens has any real sense to it. It is just a collection of weird characters being 'sad' and 'unsure what next'. I guess you could
    I have no idea why I watched all this, but I did.
    I am fairly sure that the creators have no idea where the series is going.
    Virtually nothing that happens has any real sense to it.
    It is just a collection of weird characters being 'sad' and 'unsure what next'.
    I guess you could sum it up by saying that it is kind of like a small child came up with a weird story about people disappearing and a bunch of actors who fancy themselves as serious decided to go all method on it.
  4. Dec 8, 2014
    From low expectations – a dreary, downbeat, nihilistic season opener – that almost totally turned me off, I gave The Leftovers a second chance – and I’m so glad I did, thanks to some terrific acting, curious but believable (and quite naturalistic) dialogue, and some great use of music and cinematography.

Perhaps it gets some points for being a little quirky – as in different or unusual, rather than goofy/daft, which this occasionally grim show resolutely isn’t – but, considering all the tired, clichéd shows still trotting out the TV stable door, The Leftovers really stood out as something new, fresh and engaging, problems aside.

This “I hated it – now I really like it” attitude mirrors what I’ve heard from other people, who found it struck a chord, and I’d definitely like to see more from this show, and its setting.

However, I absolutely don’t want to see another second of its “teenagers” – those segments were utterly *painful* to watch, and played out like Nihilistic Teens (as written by some middle-aged guys trying to guesstimate what teenagers are like – guys, they’re *nothing* like the weird ‘teens’ in this show; *nobody* is like Those jaded, knowitall, old-before-their-years teen characters in this show).
  5. Nov 14, 2014
    I think anyone moaning about how depressing The Leftovers is are completely missing the point. It's supposed to be depressing. It's about depression. Come on folks, read between the lines. Just because there aren't explosions, **** and childish humour it's obviously a terrible show. I suppose that sums up society today and more importantly the same pathetic attitude to people who sufferI think anyone moaning about how depressing The Leftovers is are completely missing the point. It's supposed to be depressing. It's about depression. Come on folks, read between the lines. Just because there aren't explosions, **** and childish humour it's obviously a terrible show. I suppose that sums up society today and more importantly the same pathetic attitude to people who suffer from mental health problems. The Leftovers is fantastic. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    The Leftovers is boring, dull and mundane. Not even the talented cast shines in this show which offers viewers nothing but the dourness. Nevertheless, great background music!
  7. Oct 31, 2014
    Yes, the tone is bleak, and, yes, the characters are dark. But "The Leftovers" is different: It brought mortality back to television. It's bold and compelling. Great acting, writing, and directing make "The Leftovers" a hit. It won't interest everyone (some will detest it), but its got mystery, wit, and poise that strikes the right kind a people with a chill down their spine.
  8. Oct 6, 2014
    I fail to understand how anyone can rate this show below a 7. Regardless of whether the darkness of mood suits your taste, the acting, wiring and directing are superb. I find myself drawn into this post(rapture?) world. The characters are well drawn and the relationships between them feel very real. I personally love this kind of show with its slow burn, so I’m giving it a 10!
  9. Oct 2, 2014
    Just watched the final episode last night. Excellent series with a great payoff in the final episode. I was really impressed with the acting (especially Justin and Carrie) and even though some might say it was slow I thought the pacing was exactly right. Must buy yhe score when its available as that really helped but I really haven't a bad thing to say about the series as a whole. IJust watched the final episode last night. Excellent series with a great payoff in the final episode. I was really impressed with the acting (especially Justin and Carrie) and even though some might say it was slow I thought the pacing was exactly right. Must buy yhe score when its available as that really helped but I really haven't a bad thing to say about the series as a whole. I can't wait to find out where it will go in the second series. Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2014
  11. Sep 26, 2014
    I'll preface this by saying I'm an Atheist.
    With that out of the way you can guess what my opinion of this is.
    Well you're right. This is utter hogwash, Atheists the world over would dream for the Rapture to happen, so that all the insane and crazy people could disappear and we can live in a world that would quickly start forming unity. I've seen the pilot and I don't plan to see
    I'll preface this by saying I'm an Atheist.
    With that out of the way you can guess what my opinion of this is.

I've seen the pilot and I don't plan to see anything else on it.
    I'm done
  12. Sep 25, 2014
    Wonderful, difficult and compelling. Obviously not for those with a short attention span or in need of something predigested - or easy! As one of the reviewers said, very much like Les Revenants in its mood - no easy answers or revelations here.
  13. Sep 23, 2014
    I just finished the first season and I am blown away. It's very beautiful and eerie. It has a nice pace, brilliant soundtrack and compelling characters. It's not trying to be more than it needs to be. It plays the low key but masterfully. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something a little bit like twin peaks and American beauty. Probably not for everyone. But that's kinda theI just finished the first season and I am blown away. It's very beautiful and eerie. It has a nice pace, brilliant soundtrack and compelling characters. It's not trying to be more than it needs to be. It plays the low key but masterfully. I would recommend it to anyone who wants something a little bit like twin peaks and American beauty. Probably not for everyone. But that's kinda the point I think. I want more. Expand
  14. Sep 18, 2014
    You won't get back the hours you've wasted watching this show. All the poor elements of Lost, Heroes, The Following, etc, rolled into one. And I'll guess there's no explanation / answer at the end of the series, just a cliffhanger for series 2. And it goes on and on...
  15. Sep 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most negative reviews of The Leftovers are based on half-truths and assumptions. Those who watched the whole season know how gripping it actually is.

Every episode brings you deeper into the abyss. Watching an episode of this show means opening yourself up to being dragged down further into despair.

It was all worth it for the smile on Nora's face in the last moments of the last episode of Season 1.

There is hope, people.

You just have to be patient enough to see it.
  16. Sep 14, 2014
    I am completely lost in this show, but in a good way! Leftover is good storytelling—so good, in fact, who really needs a story right now. I'm willing to wait for the writers mold the final image!
  17. Sep 11, 2014
    Just watched the season finale today and loved it! the show took a couple episodes to hook me but once it got going I really enjoyed it! the main character is great and the ideas while far fetched are definitely thought provoking. I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys darker dramas.
  18. Sep 9, 2014
    Wonderfully written. Compelling characters, amazing score, great cinematography. This series started out slowly but has quickly become the best show currently on television. Don't understand all these comparisons with Lost, The Leftovers is a much "deeper" show, a cold analysis of human behaviour and modern society (with more than a little "Lynchian" touch to it). Nice job, HBO.
  19. Sep 9, 2014
    I've never been so torn about a TV show.

It's depressing and disturbing. Sometimes it's actually boring. I still can't stop watching and actually look forward to the new episodes with unbridled excitement.

I think that means I think it's a good show? It's such an unpleasant experience most of the time. It's an absolute must see.
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    Simply one of the best, most thoughtful and well-played fictions on TV, with a truly inventive and mysterious heart. Risky in ways that most TV shows can't begin to imagine, and packs emotional and intellectual punches about who we are and our actual relationship to lost loved ones, here and elsewhere, living and gone.
  21. Sep 8, 2014
    Thanks HBO, an amazing season 10/10! From the teasers trailers to the final episode, this show really got into my head. So many emotions while watching each show, and 9 and 10 were by far the best. The casting is perfect, the acting powerful. I do agree the show is not for everyone, my wife could not watch it, citing what many others agree on, too "depressing", but im not convinced that'sThanks HBO, an amazing season 10/10! From the teasers trailers to the final episode, this show really got into my head. So many emotions while watching each show, and 9 and 10 were by far the best. The casting is perfect, the acting powerful. I do agree the show is not for everyone, my wife could not watch it, citing what many others agree on, too "depressing", but im not convinced that's entirely the right word for it. I enjoyed the emotional rollerscoaster, bring on season 2 please!! Expand
  22. Sep 8, 2014
    I was bored with this after 15mins. I seems to be promoting smoking, weed, very bad language and non consentual rape.
    Not the best of TV and definitely not for me.
  23. Sep 8, 2014
    When the first trailer was released for this show, I knew it was going to be good and the show looked very interesting. It had a very weird trailer with a lot of WTF moments and that made it different from all the other TV shows out there. Each week, this shows gets better and better. Now, it's my second favorite new show this year. The writing and directing of each episode are fantasticWhen the first trailer was released for this show, I knew it was going to be good and the show looked very interesting. It had a very weird trailer with a lot of WTF moments and that made it different from all the other TV shows out there. Each week, this shows gets better and better. Now, it's my second favorite new show this year. The writing and directing of each episode are fantastic and each episode gets protruded into more madness. The score is beautiful and they really know how to put the right music at the right time. The plot is very entertaining as more what the hell is going on and it keeps you very focused. Justin Theroux knocks it out of the park as Kevin Garvey. He plays him perfectly as the character has trouble deciding what is real and what isn't. The character continuously spirals out of control and it's awesome to see what crazy series of events happen next. Finally, teenagers I can actually like in a show. They're acting is great and they don't weigh down the series. The show has also implanted two POV episodes and that is rare for a show given its infancy. They were fantastic and a perfect way just to see 1 character that we wanted to know more. The Leftovers has so many WTF moments and characters, viewers might want to close their eyes. It's not for the faint of heart as the show is dark, bleak, and very somber. It amazingly has a few glimmers of hope there and there. Never has a show with so many bleak and dark story lines has interested me this much. The season finale ends on a high note, another amazing episode. At the end, there is hope for some of the characters. The Leftovers is definitely one of the best new shows this year. Don't just read the reviews from critics and users. Go watch it. Can't wait for season 2. Expand
  24. Sep 8, 2014
    It started slow but it's gotten better with each episode. The last three episodes of the first season are great, very well written, acted and directed. They also unveil a lot of things that have been a mystery all season. The show is very dark, bleak, and even depressing sometimes but there is a lot going on beneath the surface. Everything reaches a breaking point in the finale, but bringsIt started slow but it's gotten better with each episode. The last three episodes of the first season are great, very well written, acted and directed. They also unveil a lot of things that have been a mystery all season. The show is very dark, bleak, and even depressing sometimes but there is a lot going on beneath the surface. Everything reaches a breaking point in the finale, but brings up even more questions, especially concerning the ones that borderline on the supernatural. All in all, the first season was great. Expand
  25. JSL
    Sep 4, 2014
    The premise is excellent but the execution is better. The premise is haunting--what would you do if 2 percent of the world just disappeared? The characters are rich, with much thanks to the intelligent writing and the excellent acting. This psychological thriller is true to what makes us tick and, while each development is understandable after it happens, the series is creative andThe premise is excellent but the execution is better. The premise is haunting--what would you do if 2 percent of the world just disappeared? The characters are rich, with much thanks to the intelligent writing and the excellent acting. This psychological thriller is true to what makes us tick and, while each development is understandable after it happens, the series is creative and impossible to predict. Strongly recommended! Expand
  26. Sep 4, 2014
    This is a series for the thinker, the philosopher, the existentialist, the therapist. It is asking the big questions, and let the viewer try to make sense of happenings. And the main characters are very attractive in addition to their good acting skills. Not everyone's cup of tea. If you liked True Detective and Breaking Bad I think this series will also be appealing to you. I'veThis is a series for the thinker, the philosopher, the existentialist, the therapist. It is asking the big questions, and let the viewer try to make sense of happenings. And the main characters are very attractive in addition to their good acting skills. Not everyone's cup of tea. If you liked True Detective and Breaking Bad I think this series will also be appealing to you. I've watched nine episodes up till now and am fascinated. It will be offensive to fundamentalists and "sensitive-to-vioolence" viewers. Expand
  27. Sep 3, 2014
    great show. class A show like sopranos and true detective. well acted and written. quite artistic and heavy. be prepared for a slow paced show... it gets better and better
  28. Sep 2, 2014
    I want my money and those 3h back HBO. The rapture premise is basically a scam.
    There is no attempt to explain where the chosen went. Aliens, God, Flash combustion?
    Will it happen again? Will they return? Will we know? I don’t mind a philosophical show at the occasion, but it better be worth it. And this is not. An episode of The LeftOvers loses the viewer in confusion and non
    I want my money and those 3h back HBO. The rapture premise is basically a scam.
    Will it happen again? Will they return? Will we know?
    An episode of The LeftOvers loses the viewer in confusion and non happening with the feeling to have been robbed of one hour. Bad acting, bad scripting, bad story.
    Seriously HBO, cancel me that ****
  29. Aug 26, 2014
    good show but please get to the dang point you are dragging a it a little to long and this last episode woow all that could have been covered a lot earlier i just don't know what is taking so long
  30. Aug 25, 2014
    I find Justin T to be surprisingly an amazing actor. I feel what he feels. I think all the acting is really good. It's like the left behind books, only not focused so much on the people coming to Christ, it's more on real life situations, people lost and trying to make sense of it all, without talking about the elephant in the room. Some of the story line was confusing at first. JustinI find Justin T to be surprisingly an amazing actor. I feel what he feels. I think all the acting is really good. It's like the left behind books, only not focused so much on the people coming to Christ, it's more on real life situations, people lost and trying to make sense of it all, without talking about the elephant in the room. Some of the story line was confusing at first. Justin kept me interested because of his acting skills. One more episode left.... I will give it another season!! Usually when I love something, it gets canceled.. Hope not! Expand
  31. Aug 20, 2014
    I have to say that I decided to write a review after reading the others reviews. Why ? Because it seams that a lot of people just looks for happy ending. And this is not a series with happy endings. (Maybe their lives are so miserable that they don’t want to be reminded of it) If you are looking for a realistic, what if, mystery, this is a series for you. Is a well-done script that keepsI have to say that I decided to write a review after reading the others reviews. Why ? Because it seams that a lot of people just looks for happy ending. And this is not a series with happy endings. (Maybe their lives are so miserable that they don’t want to be reminded of it) If you are looking for a realistic, what if, mystery, this is a series for you. Is a well-done script that keeps you all the way and makes you want to know more. Is one of those stories that you don’t need any special effects, Damon brings his well known story telling to a new field. Hopefully we are not going to have a silly ending like Lost, but from the first episodes you really get addicted to it. And for all of those who ever imagine a rapture, Well this is what it looks like… Expand
  32. Aug 19, 2014
    Amazing concept! Every week I want more and can't wait for the next one.

A look into the psychology of masses of people confronted by a massive loss. Which leads to a variety of reactions among the public, cults being one of those.

The question of the purpose of life arises when others are just gone in an instant, I'd love to find out more!
  33. Aug 19, 2014
    We've been watching it since the pilot episode. ~Yawn~. No one knows why the speechless white garbed people chain smoke. No one knows why they seem so intent on annoying the local townspeople. No one knows why the mysterious no named man with a gob of chaw in his lower lip is killing dogs.
    This show is incredibly depressing with a jerky narrative (if any at all) and too many 'showdowns' for the sake of drama. I'm done.
    I'll watch the news if I care to be saddened and depressed.
  34. Aug 19, 2014
    The pros - Compelling acting. Able direction. Decent script. Just enough FX, and well-done. Mysterious.

The cons - I can't seem to get attached or even interested in any of the characters. So much 'weird', without the nuance of a seasoned 'weird' director like Lynch. Baffling plot points (dogs, smoking cult, etc.) are left to linger throughout the season - too long, stopped caring. People behaving unrealistically (still driving, taking buses, subways, presumably airplanes, despite what happened? Right.)

It's a super slow burn. I contrast this to Falling Skies, which is a fast, silly burn. Both ends of a spectrum. Both end up mediocre.
  35. Aug 18, 2014
    The correct name should be " The Unanswered Tangent Show " . Basically the script goes horizontally opening situations that either go unanswered or that are forgotten. It pretends to be profound by creating a heavy overall climate with deep silences or still shots, but the lack of a good script is evident. Instead of an intelligent honest story this show is plagued by chicanery. OnlyThe correct name should be " The Unanswered Tangent Show " . Basically the script goes horizontally opening situations that either go unanswered or that are forgotten. It pretends to be profound by creating a heavy overall climate with deep silences or still shots, but the lack of a good script is evident. Instead of an intelligent honest story this show is plagued by chicanery. Only good acting saves the day a little bit. But not enough . Expand
  36. Aug 18, 2014
    After seven or eight episodes I am finally done with this never ending negative assault on my psyche. The death of the white dressed chain smoking leader registered nary a pump on my interest Richter scale. Who cares. The show should be pulled now. On a positive note the episode with the preacher was terrific, the cops new squeeze is sexy - but overall too little to invest even an hour a week.
  37. Aug 18, 2014
    Fantastic show!!

Don't be fooled by the "I need answers and I need them now" brigade, This show is a mesmerizing journey of confusion and disorientation, Its characters share a pain a lot of us will never truly understand, the world has gone mad(or mad-er) and the result is combination of Lost, The twilight zone and Breaking Bad).
  38. Aug 18, 2014
    Dark, Moody and like Lost (Lindelof's ground-breaking series) it doesn't pander to the less attentive and the impatient, This is an intriguing and thought provoking ride about grief and loss in the most extraordinary of circumstances.
  39. Aug 15, 2014
    Must say this show is the best i have seen next after True Detective.
    Must say this show is the best i have seen next after True Detective.
    I know it sounds lame the overall plot, with people missing without explanation – but it is just the trigger effect, to get the drama up and run. It is in the intense moment where people in the world realize that the pain in the world is real – and there is not much to do other than trying to do the right thing, despite how uncomfortable it is. How they as human beings need to trust their human sense and start do the right thing (what that ever is?). There is no help in religion in politics in society – there is only help in their own humanity. That drama – when confronted with that - is epic television.
  40. Aug 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. Like a modern-day X-files? While I do not believe the religious mumbo-jumbo going on in the background (presented like an unnamed character), this very well-written program appears to me to be similar to a modern day X-files program (example-1: the government man offers to deal with the G.R. problem in Mapleton "if the sheriff agrees to have something done"; example-2: the government is involve in collecting/collating 180 questions provided by people trying to collect post-rapture insurance). On a different note, notice how the kids appear to be acting normal (for kids) but the adults are screwy and the older ones are just plain nuts? Collapse
  41. Aug 14, 2014
    I think I gave this series a chance, I watched the first four episodes and found it very frustrating. Episode 3 was alright but I just couldn't tolerate any longer how coy the producers were about shedding any light on what was happening. Example: the Guilty Remnant. The leftovers who didn't join the GRs must have known something about this cult yet none of that is shared with theI think I gave this series a chance, I watched the first four episodes and found it very frustrating. Episode 3 was alright but I just couldn't tolerate any longer how coy the producers were about shedding any light on what was happening. Example: the Guilty Remnant. The leftovers who didn't join the GRs must have known something about this cult yet none of that is shared with the viewer. After four hours all I knew was that the GRs don't speak, wear only white and smoke too much. The GRs also make the leftovers angry; well The Leftovers made ME angry. With each passing episode I felt increasingly like a schmuck for watching. Expand
  42. Aug 11, 2014
    There is waaayyy too much use of the f word in this show! With the entire English vocabulary to use, why aren't the writers smarter or more clever? It's bothering me so much! Come on, writers! Please. It's like in every sentence! It's ridiculous.
  43. Aug 9, 2014
    I feel like people are really not giving this show a chance to develop. Yes! The show is dark. I keep hearing people call it depressing. I happen to be one of those people who enjoys that sort of thing and quite frankly if you don't enjoy that sort of show then this show is not for you. However if you do enjoy that sort of thing and if you can be patient with the show through the firstI feel like people are really not giving this show a chance to develop. Yes! The show is dark. I keep hearing people call it depressing. I happen to be one of those people who enjoys that sort of thing and quite frankly if you don't enjoy that sort of show then this show is not for you. However if you do enjoy that sort of thing and if you can be patient with the show through the first couple episodes you will find yourself looking forward to the next episode. People need to give this show more of a chance. Expand
  44. Aug 5, 2014
    Finally, has television begun to create shows that allows audiences to explore greater depths of themselves and others. Shows in which individuals can learn through discussion with others. Once again, has Lindelof created a beautifully crafted series. One that not only entertains the audience, but also makes the audience think. For far too long has television delivered mind-numbingFinally, has television begun to create shows that allows audiences to explore greater depths of themselves and others. Shows in which individuals can learn through discussion with others. Once again, has Lindelof created a beautifully crafted series. One that not only entertains the audience, but also makes the audience think. For far too long has television delivered mind-numbing performances. But finally, hope has been restored to television. No thanks to the newly televised series "The Strain" or other sloppily written programs, that the average viewer could create. Is that not the point of television? To open the eyes of the everyday viewer, to expand horizons? "The Leftovers" is art. Expand
  45. Aug 5, 2014
    People , don't project your wants and desires on this series then be disappointed it's not what you expected.
    I was expecting 50 shades of grey to be a book filled with paint samples. Should I give it a negative quotation because it wasn't?
    Don't review things you don't understand.
    Have a nice day.
  46. Aug 4, 2014
    Good Grief!!! The title of this show suggests what it's created from... leftovers. Leftover ideas, scripts, stories that didn't make it into other films or shows... in other words it's created from dregs. There is absolutely NO PURPOSE to this show whatsoever. It goes nowhere, explains nothing, goes off on tangents and takes itself way to seriously. I had such huge hopes for this show fromGood Grief!!! The title of this show suggests what it's created from... leftovers. Leftover ideas, scripts, stories that didn't make it into other films or shows... in other words it's created from dregs. There is absolutely NO PURPOSE to this show whatsoever. It goes nowhere, explains nothing, goes off on tangents and takes itself way to seriously. I had such huge hopes for this show from the poster, trailer and pilot episode, but 5 episodes in... and I feel like I wasted 5 hours of my life. With all this said, the performances are good, the direction and mood are great, but again, audiences need some substance. Some of the characters in the show only communicate via writing on pencil and paper. It held my interest for a couple episodes, but again, we are not given any reason or point to this behavior. Don't waste your time on this show folks, there's a lot of great TV out there. Check out 'The Returned,' a french show on bbc... which has great performance, the eerie suspenseful mood... and a SCRIPT that actually tells a story!! Shame on HBO. Who would pay for Leftovers!! Expand
  47. Aug 4, 2014
    and also here: where demon lindelof is involved the nerdy **** is not very far away.

i liked the show very much - so far. for me it is not so much about the resolution. the series has it´s breathtaking moments in acting and screenwriting. and it is very slow, patient and compassionate. but the audience needs these skills too. you need to look closely you need to listen carefully. my suggestion is: don´t watch this series with the mind. watch it with the heart. "the leftovers" is like a surreal dream. it´s full of questions and full of very interesting characters. if you give "the leftovers" time to grow it will pay you with some of the best moments of television this year.
  48. Aug 4, 2014
    Wow, I just read a review where it says that the characters are compelling and I'd like to say that it is completely the opposite. One of the reason I cannot like this show is because of the characters. I do not care about any of them, I tried to but if they all depart tomorrow to meet the other ones that are already gone and there is no more show then to me it will be the best episodeWow, I just read a review where it says that the characters are compelling and I'd like to say that it is completely the opposite. One of the reason I cannot like this show is because of the characters. I do not care about any of them, I tried to but if they all depart tomorrow to meet the other ones that are already gone and there is no more show then to me it will be the best episode ever. I have stopped after 4 episodes...I could not take it anymore. Depressing, not very good plot, cannot stand the stupid guilty remnants, that is such an idiotic cult group. Expand
  49. Aug 3, 2014
    Godawful show. Unlike most of you who gave the show a low score, I watched several episodes before finally having mercy on myself and switching off in the middle of the latest episode. Whoever writes this show is just trying to shock people, but unlike game of thrones, which also is shocking, it fails to entertain, and just ends up being annoying. The only reason I have HBO is because ofGodawful show. Unlike most of you who gave the show a low score, I watched several episodes before finally having mercy on myself and switching off in the middle of the latest episode. Whoever writes this show is just trying to shock people, but unlike game of thrones, which also is shocking, it fails to entertain, and just ends up being annoying. The only reason I have HBO is because of the high quality of their shows....boardwalk empire, game of thrones, and many others. Why HBO would get involved with this stinkbomb eludes me. Expand
  50. Jul 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many questions, so little answers. I heard this is nothing like the book, which is nice since I haven't read the book. The acting is decent, except for a few minor characters including Aimee, Jill and their friends. Justin Theroux is nice to look at. Expand
  51. Jul 29, 2014
    Love it!!! i dont know why everybody is like, why the smoking or why the white clothes? the series has 5 episodes guys, we have to wait several seasons to know why all that stuff in Lost, have a little faith in the leftovers hahah i guess it will be a great series....
  52. Jul 29, 2014
    How people don't find this show and its characters compelling is beyond me. I feel that this is one of the best shows to premiere in a while.
    It is shot and designed beautifully, and the acting is all around awesome. The subtle way it explores how different people deal with tragedy I find so interesting, and think the show has up to this point done very well. Any time you can feel the tension merely as the viewer shows how great the show is. Especially with an episode like Season 1 Episode 5.
    The Leftovers isn't fast paced and is subtlety executed, which is why i think most people cant enjoy it. The way the show is shrouded in mystery, just like the event that occurred, just adds to it brilliance. The characters in the show don't know what happened, i think its an effective device for the viewers to not know either. I think peoples frustration with not knowing what happened in the event further illustrates this effect. If this event actually happened the same people who are frustrated viewers would be frustrated people real life. If you are a person waiting or complaining that the event is unexplained and hope that you will in future episodes find out what caused it, you are missing the point of the show completely. The show isn't about what happened, its about how people deal with what happened.
    Stop comparing it to lost and true detective. They are both completely different shows.
  53. Jul 28, 2014
    "The Leftovers" is an aptly named show. Much of the show feels like just that, leftovers. The acting is on average sub par, the story as well, and neither make effective use of the underpinnings of the theme. I've watched two episodes so far hoping to see something compelling but so far I'm wishing I had watched something fresh. Pun intended.
  54. Jul 28, 2014
    Hey HBO, Stop trying to force this show to be a hit! I feel like every chance you get you force this crap down our throats. The trailers peeked my curiosity enough to watch the first episodes however after forcing myself to get through the pilot episode I was very disappointed. I tuned in because of the disappearance of 2% of the worlds population, which seems to no longer be a big deal orHey HBO, Stop trying to force this show to be a hit! I feel like every chance you get you force this crap down our throats. The trailers peeked my curiosity enough to watch the first episodes however after forcing myself to get through the pilot episode I was very disappointed. I tuned in because of the disappearance of 2% of the worlds population, which seems to no longer be a big deal or concern on the show. Which leads me to believe the question of where they went and if they will come back will never be answered. So the very thing that got me to watch the show is out the window. I almost feel lied to, like I signed up for a lecture on reproduction but got a lecture on abortion instead. This is one show you should abort. Forgetting the fact that what drew people in to watch the pilot has been abandoned almost immediately, the lack of an interesting cast of characters leaves this show hollow and straight up depressing. Luckily we get a pick me up after this crap airs thanks to "Last week tonight with John Oliver" but I can no longer sit through "The leftovers" waiting to get to John's show. Someone please put this show out of its misery! Expand
  55. Jul 28, 2014
    Terrible. I was so excited for this show when I saw the trailer, but this show basically IS the trailer; a bunch of emotional scenes were supposed to be provoked by. I have news for you HBO, in order to feel empathy for the characters we have to first have character development, which you should know since you have created so many amazingly written series. I'm not saying I have to likeTerrible. I was so excited for this show when I saw the trailer, but this show basically IS the trailer; a bunch of emotional scenes were supposed to be provoked by. I have news for you HBO, in order to feel empathy for the characters we have to first have character development, which you should know since you have created so many amazingly written series. I'm not saying I have to like the characters, sometimes it's even better when you don't like them, because you don't have to be liked to be interesting. Apart from the priest, whose storyline does evoke emotion, pity, and the desire to want him to be happy; everyone's character has one note. Chief Garvey is completely immature and self righteous (and its almost like he is trying to be bruding at he same time which just feels weird); why does he even want his job as chief anyway? He appears to hate every minute of it, treats everyone around him terribly, litters in his own town (throwing the baby doll out the window? Is that necessary?), and shows no compassion for a town he is supposed to watch out for.
    'The Leftovers' is a victim of each role thinking their character is the deepest, most important, most damaged, etc.. I blame this on the writers, not the actors. Except Justin Theroux. I blame him. Change your facial expression for crying out loud (his daughter seems to have this same problem as well). And this show shouldn't have the excuse of saying "well this is just how people deal with tragedy".. NO! We are still human, and after 3 years you can't expect an entire town to not only have not moved on, but to all essentially feel the same thing. Everything is cynical and depressing, and I'm sorry but it does not go on in perpetuity. Haven't you heard of "time heals all wounds"?
    I've watched the first four episodes, and only when I have nothing else I want to watch and nothing better to do. I keep hoping it will get better, but it disappoints me every time. And I want to clarify that the show doesn't depress me (because that would at least be something), it feels cheap and gimmicky and I'm left feeling annoyed at myself for having wasted my time.. Kind of like how I feel after watching the Real Housewives. I get nothing from either, but at least the latter can make me laugh.
    Please HBO, give us something "six feet under"-worthy. Now THAT was an amazing show.
    No shot this show gets a second season (unless they signed on for 2? I'm not sure how that works)
  56. Jul 28, 2014
    This is possibly the worst series I've ever attempted to watch. Sad, cause after reading about the premise I was looking forward to it. I had to force myself to watch the first episode to the end, hoping for some twist or event to capture my interest. Nothing. Just ugh. Awful show.
  57. Jul 27, 2014
    I don't understand all the hate for this great show....I look forward to watching this every Sunday because True Blood has been disappointing lately..
  58. Jul 26, 2014
    Let me preface this review by emphasizing that I have not seen a single episode of ''Lost" or any other work attributed to Mr. Lindelof, and thus hold no bias against him or his work.

Having disclosed that fact, I must say that "The Leftovers" is absolutely dreary without any redeeming qualities. It is quite dark and brooding, but not at all engaging (for a great alternative, consider "True Detective", which is dark and incredibly engaging). .The acting on this show is often quite lackluster, too. The actress portraying Jill Garvey, for one example,is awful...reminds me of Kristen Stewart in the "Twilight" movie series. As for the main theme, the disappearance of 2% of world's population, it has been very much sensationalized--yes, 140 million people disappeared but there are still 6.7+ billion people left...it is not the end of the world, so stop feeling sorry for yourselves! Instead of exploring the mystery of the disappearance and leading toward some meaningful answers, "The Leftovers" seems content in showing viewers random shots of how miserable all the main characters are.

I have watched the first five episodes; I really do not know if I will tune in for episode 6. .
  59. Jul 25, 2014
    It really isn't for everybody. Additionally, I'm not sure how anyone could possibly pitch this story idea to anyone without it sounding like weekly hour of tedium. However, the tone is intriguing, and the cast is great. While the first couple of episodes wandered a bit, the subsequent episodes seem to be moving the story along.

In short: give it a go. At least for the first several

In short: give it a go. At least for the first several episodes. If you don't like it after 4, it's probably not for you.

The ultimate fate of this show is contained in how it will eventually end. Too many shows are hindered by having an open ended story line, and giving the impression that the writers are making things up as they go along. If there IS a vision about where this story is going, and the plans don't have that story spreading too thin across too many seasons, the Leftovers could really have something good. There doesn't even need to be an answer to the ultimate question of the series (what happened to all those missing), just a resolution for the characters to which we grow attached.
  60. Jul 25, 2014
    That's it! After four episodes of nothing happening, I'm about to give up on this. One more episode to do something with this non-story. I'm not THAT curious about what happened to the missing people to put up this boredom. One more episode is all I'm giving it.
  61. Jul 23, 2014
    This show isn't worth writing an extensive review. Lets just say, it's not good. The best way to describe The Leftovers is "incoherent". And what's with the quiet cult? It must have been a hard sell to the actors, mainly because its stupid and boring. I'll look into my crystal ball...this shows gets progressively worse........and has a terrible ending.
  62. Jul 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Coming from someone that has read the book.

Obviously this is going to be tampered with due to the expert nonsense writer Mr MacGuffin Damon Lindelof.
    This will offer no comfort but the book is right up his ally as it is just nonsense also, nothing is explained and it just ends.

The weird cult non-speaking, chain smoking people that looks as threatening as a WI jam making group - not explained
    The Huggy Black, young Asian girl loving cult freak - Not explained.
    Why 2% 140 million people vanished, not really explained.
    Why after 3 years everyone became dumber than the average Justin Bieber fan- no explained.

Also just to add, nothing is explained, you will get more sense reading the telephone directory than this show, its will just do a Lost, add more nonsense on top of nonsense and you will get all confused and never have any reveal.

Just watch The Strain, or The Last ship, or maybe True Blood, not great shows, but far better than this crap, and they don't have many if any annoying teens in them.
  63. Jul 22, 2014
    I tried to like this, but it's become saccharin in it's silliness and over the top violin background music blandness, that I've actually begun to view it as a comedy. Do I care about these characters, not really. The Chief's kids are moronic, the whole wife left me for a cult premise is ridiculous (they look like the most impossible couple casting could come up with...). It seems likeI tried to like this, but it's become saccharin in it's silliness and over the top violin background music blandness, that I've actually begun to view it as a comedy. Do I care about these characters, not really. The Chief's kids are moronic, the whole wife left me for a cult premise is ridiculous (they look like the most impossible couple casting could come up with...). It seems like it was made for network TV, not cable. The writing is awful, as is much of the acting (which isn't really their fault with a vehicle such as this). Even the opening title sequence, it tempts us with a Sistine chapel-esque portraits of people levitating up to a Heaven of sorts. But after the 4th episode, it's a boring as clay. Expand
  64. Jul 22, 2014
    If you are going to be dealing with highly depressing themes, you need to think about having some positive redeeming factor, to counter-balance them. Unfortunately for the viewer, the show is entirely depressing and sad. Couple that with terrible acting, subpar writing, pretentious themes and some downright annoying subplots/story lines and you have the formula for a really bad show. I'llIf you are going to be dealing with highly depressing themes, you need to think about having some positive redeeming factor, to counter-balance them. Unfortunately for the viewer, the show is entirely depressing and sad. Couple that with terrible acting, subpar writing, pretentious themes and some downright annoying subplots/story lines and you have the formula for a really bad show. I'll give it one more episode but me writing this while watching the third episode tells you everything you need to know... Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2014
    After 3 episodes of mediocre exposition I'm done with this thing. Get it off the air ASAP. Nothing happens and it seems to go nowhere. The latest episode title says it best.... Why are we still here?
  66. Jul 21, 2014
    Two rules that I go by when judging new TV shows: A) Is there any other show on right now that is similar to it? B) Is it unpredictable or is it a familiar formula with new HBO paint.
    The answer to A is that while there are many end-of-the-world show on right now, (all with world ending badly), none other seem to be tackling a possible biblical rapture. Yet this isn't some Left Behind story with Christian overtones. And B, it IS unpredictable and the characters are crazily off balance, careering from one crisis to the next.
    The writing and dialogue are sharp, there is a palpable atmosphere of uncertainty in the show as characters try to come to grip with what has happened and what could possibly come next. Local government and news media are just pretending to be in control when it's clear to everyone that there is no real control.
    I started watching The Leftovers and the final season of True Blood at the same time and True Blood looks like it should be on Nickelodeon with once interesting characters playing stereotypes of themselves. The Leftovers is far superior in every way and it's one of the new shows that I actually look forward to each week. I hope it has a long and successful run.
  67. Jul 20, 2014
    I'm still not quite sure what to make of this series, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never do. The plot is a bit convoluted, and I feel like there's too many mysteries thrown at me all at once before I've even invested enough time to care about solving them. And apparently the main mystery is never going to be solved which is a bit of let down. However, there's something about the showI'm still not quite sure what to make of this series, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never do. The plot is a bit convoluted, and I feel like there's too many mysteries thrown at me all at once before I've even invested enough time to care about solving them. And apparently the main mystery is never going to be solved which is a bit of let down. However, there's something about the show that keeps me watching. I guess I'm one of those few that actually like how dark and depressing it is. However, I'm about 99% sure that the plot will end up somewhere stupid or nowhere at all, and I'll be pissed that I spent so much time anticipating each episode. Keeping fingers crossed that I'm wrong about that. Expand
  68. Jul 20, 2014
    Pretty bad. First episode totally did not keep my interest. I'll give it 4 episodes in, because that's how long True Blood got to get me hooked. I was hoping for better.
  69. Jul 20, 2014
    Oh please, please don't let this show disappear because a bunch of mindless numbskulls would rather watch something with an overload of "events". This is a very promising show, and after three episodes, I can easily say I am hooked. It's extremely well acted, written and produced. As soon as I read the premise, which I immediately found interesting, I expected the show to be cheesy, butOh please, please don't let this show disappear because a bunch of mindless numbskulls would rather watch something with an overload of "events". This is a very promising show, and after three episodes, I can easily say I am hooked. It's extremely well acted, written and produced. As soon as I read the premise, which I immediately found interesting, I expected the show to be cheesy, but premises and plotlines like this usually yield something disappointing. But this does not disappoint. I think any fan of France's "The Returned" should give the Leftovfers a try. Expand
  70. Jul 20, 2014
    What the heck is this?Ive tried the pilot.I wont watch more of this **** kinda dumb?Some terrible actors in this too, great.And like many other people wrote here:Where are all te funny guys?It seems only depressed and bored people walk the earth in this show.Sorry, i try 3 EPs per show and then comes my conclusion.Will i watch 3 EPs of this show??The pilot was so boring and depressing illWhat the heck is this?Ive tried the pilot.I wont watch more of this **** kinda dumb?Some terrible actors in this too, great.And like many other people wrote here:Where are all te funny guys?It seems only depressed and bored people walk the earth in this show.Sorry, i try 3 EPs per show and then comes my conclusion.Will i watch 3 EPs of this show??The pilot was so boring and depressing ill quite right after it!This suckz! Expand
  71. Jul 18, 2014
    I fell asleep on BOTH attempts to watch this show. I had pretty decent expectations and it sounded intriguing, but it was incredibly boring. It had flat characters, bad pacing, and an emptiness to it.
  72. Jul 18, 2014
    Why does Metacritic allow people/websites to post reviews for an entire season after only the first episode? That's like reviewing a movie after the first 15 minutes! Idiocracy!
  73. Jul 18, 2014
    This show is amazing, such a great surprise! The characters are all great, the story mysterious and intriguing, the editing and the directing absolutely fantastic. I would give the show a 9 if it wasn't for the perfect third episode (seriously, it's up there with the best episodes I've ever seen) and if it wasn't for the shear amount of misplaced hate I can see around here. I personallyThis show is amazing, such a great surprise! The characters are all great, the story mysterious and intriguing, the editing and the directing absolutely fantastic. I would give the show a 9 if it wasn't for the perfect third episode (seriously, it's up there with the best episodes I've ever seen) and if it wasn't for the shear amount of misplaced hate I can see around here. I personally recommend you give it a shot- it seems like the kind of show you either fall in love with or hate with a vengeance (going by the reviews) and I personally love it. Expand
  74. Jul 17, 2014
    Well, it sucks! Most of the people that have given it good ratings are Jennifer Aniston fans, therefore Justin fans by default. You can tell by looking at how many other shows they rated. In most cases it is the only show they have ever rated and they give it a 10? Hmmm.....
  75. Jul 16, 2014
    Unsettling and depressing with a storyline that you can't help but be intrigued by. A strong cast that showcase their abilities from the outset. While I haven't read the book it is based on, I have high hopes.
  76. Jul 15, 2014
    I have watched 3 episodes and I have to say The Leftovers tv series is how I feel about my wife's leftovers in the fridge "blah". I watched Lost and it didn't end well, but at least it had a ton of redeeming qualities you fell in love with the characters and the mystery of the island. I honestly hate every character in the leftovers and wouldn't mind if they were all killed off. I willI have watched 3 episodes and I have to say The Leftovers tv series is how I feel about my wife's leftovers in the fridge "blah". I watched Lost and it didn't end well, but at least it had a ton of redeeming qualities you fell in love with the characters and the mystery of the island. I honestly hate every character in the leftovers and wouldn't mind if they were all killed off. I will give it a few more episodes just because there aren't currently a ton of TV options. Not all series can be as interesting as True Detective. Expand
  77. Jul 15, 2014
    I really wanted like this show as it has all the elements of a great and meaningful journey. I simply do not know what is going on nor do I want to know. To grab a person and keep their interest in caring for the story to unfold you have to provide something likable about either the characters or an intrigue to the storyline. I felt it failed on both counts. Am sure there would be lots ofI really wanted like this show as it has all the elements of a great and meaningful journey. I simply do not know what is going on nor do I want to know. To grab a person and keep their interest in caring for the story to unfold you have to provide something likable about either the characters or an intrigue to the storyline. I felt it failed on both counts. Am sure there would be lots of folks that love this TV Series but it’s too frustrating for me to even care. It could have been something special but it’s overly pretentious without the credence of twin peaks style intrigue. It’s simply disjointed to the point where the viewer has to try too hard to invest in its development thus appealing to a niche market. Expand
  78. Jul 14, 2014
    An intriguing premise supported by a solid cast. Tom Eccleston is particularly good as the conflicted clergyman. I look forward to seeing where this goes. If it ends in a fizzle a la Lost, I will be a bit ticked off, but so far I'm onboard.
  79. Jul 14, 2014
    Horribly dull, pretentious and unbearable crap. It's summertime yet we are supposed to watch these lifeless unlikable characters' suffering? How and why does this show have a high critic score? This is the most overrated show I've ever seen. What's with Lindelof's writing of humans? People just don't behave the way he portrays them in film or television. Lindelof's hipster defenders willHorribly dull, pretentious and unbearable crap. It's summertime yet we are supposed to watch these lifeless unlikable characters' suffering? How and why does this show have a high critic score? This is the most overrated show I've ever seen. What's with Lindelof's writing of humans? People just don't behave the way he portrays them in film or television. Lindelof's hipster defenders will retort with "Well you just don't get it because your too simple minded." No I get it. His writing is atrocious. He creates characters the average viewer could not identify or connect with. Expand
  80. Jul 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just like my lazy uncle this show needs work because it's not unwatchable. It seems like the show purposely has no direction. Last episode it had this Waco style assault on the black british guys compound and it was really violent but, it didn't have a effect because the audience can't connect with the characters. It was kind of funny listening to SWAT team guy just talk crazy and curse as he's bleeding out. This show has alot of enigmatic moments. Like the police think the commissioner is going mental like his father because he's killing dogs and talking to toaster ovens. There's some lady in the forest trying to chop down a tree. There's a lady the commissioner's daughter and her friends follow because she has a gun in purse. So they follow her around which makes no sense. Wayne who I wish would be cast as Dr. Who kisses some dead guy on mouth and tries to heal the commissioner's son. There's product placement of Budweiser.
    Anyway maybe the next episode will be better. It is suppose to be about Christopher Eccleston who I think was a horrible Doctor Who. He was a good Invisible Man on Heroes though.
  81. Jul 13, 2014
    This series moves at a glacial pace. This is what happens when you have a story that is 2-3 hours of material and you stretch it to 10 or more hours. I don't fault the actors here as they are doing a good job. The tone and atmosphere are fine it's just that no one wants to spend an hour a week to once again learn that no one cares what happened to their loved ones. I may tune in againThis series moves at a glacial pace. This is what happens when you have a story that is 2-3 hours of material and you stretch it to 10 or more hours. I don't fault the actors here as they are doing a good job. The tone and atmosphere are fine it's just that no one wants to spend an hour a week to once again learn that no one cares what happened to their loved ones. I may tune in again at the end of season to see if they found a direction that the story should go in. Expand
  82. Jul 13, 2014
    This is my first review. I've felt compelled to write this, seeing how people can misjudge this show and comparing it with Lost because of Damon Lindelof. In fact, he does a great job with this show (which is based on a book, meaning that it will not wander around, not that Lost ever did).
    The premise is simple and it's perfect. 2% of the population went missing in a rapture- like event. 3 years after the event we meet with these people trying to make sense of what happened, trying to find some sort of meaning. This single event has divided society and we can never go back to what we once were. What really happened 3 years ago doesn't matter. We might not get any answers, simply because what good will they do? There is no black and white here. Just imagine yourself being caught between the past and the future. The only thing is you don't know what happened and you don't know what's going to happen. What do you do when everything around you is covered in uncertainty? This is not your typical tv show, you don't have good people vs bad people, heroes or anti-heroes, you don't always know what kind of people are out there or how they are dealing with it.
    Oh, and the characters are amazing and really fleshed out and rich. An event like this can change a person to the point of no recognition and the cast is unbelievable in portraying that. This is an artfully crafted show, different from anything else on tv right now. I understand that it's not a show for everybody. I just wish people would stop bashing it and saying we're not gonna get a good finale after 2 episodes. Damon Lindelof gave us an amazing show in Lost, whether you liked the finale or not, he gave us some amazing stories, his stories. I know that some of you, wished for a different ending, but you cannot erase the story up until then or say it's less valuable. And also, Tom Perrotta (the author of The Leftovers) is a writer on the show.
    Watch this show with an open mind.
  83. Jul 8, 2014
    I was looking forward to this one, now that I've seen 2 episodes....no thank you. The show is slow, painful, and depressing. The characters are difficult to relate to, to the point that I really don't care what happens to them.
  84. Jul 8, 2014
    Huge disappointment. I loved Perotta as an author. So depressing and tedious. All the characters can get "raptured" and who would care? Also, can Amy Brenneman ever play a likeable character? She is like nails on a blackboard in every scene.
  85. Jul 8, 2014
    it seems a lot of people are punishing this show for what we experienced with lost. it s early days, and though i'll admit it could slide down the wrong side of the hill. it has me intrigued thus far. a real feeling of melancholy amongst its characters held up with some solid acting. gotta say though i don't like seeing dogs die even in fiction. nor do i enjoy any sort of religion, so itit seems a lot of people are punishing this show for what we experienced with lost. it s early days, and though i'll admit it could slide down the wrong side of the hill. it has me intrigued thus far. a real feeling of melancholy amongst its characters held up with some solid acting. gotta say though i don't like seeing dogs die even in fiction. nor do i enjoy any sort of religion, so it could loose me along the way. i would like to point out thar criticism of lost was loud and clear, if lindelof can take aspects that were done well in lost(there were plenty) and at the same time take on board the criticism, i believe he could be a master storyteller. at this stage i remain optimistic and based on only 2 episode i h ave to rate favourably . Expand
  86. Jul 8, 2014
    This is the most overrated show of the season. Two episodes in, and already off the rails. Bad writing, bad directing, and no... you don't get points for just being weird. This is HBOs biggest bomb in a long time. Very disappointing.
  87. Jul 7, 2014
    The show stinks.After 2 episodes(unlike Lost) I could care less about any of the characters in it-except for the lead cop.So there really is no point in watching it as the show seems to have been made-on purpose- to be painfully annoying.Judge for yourself but all they seem to have accomplished here- is bringing the C word to cable TV-So Thanks and Congratulations on that.
  88. Jul 7, 2014
    Having watched episode 1, the show is bland and uninspiring. Novels have tackled loss and sudden death for centuries, it is a well tread path. And while The Leftovers seems to want to be about a society in crisis, it falls into every cliche of loss. Quite simply, this is Ordinary People on steroids.

The show's featured gimmick is a shallow one, considering that humanity has lost far more people dozens of times in human history. I expected the show to tackle a society in upheaval, with roles changing, new priorities, new cultural norms...but unfortunately this society has barely changed in three years since 2% of the population disappears. Everyone is glum and depressed. Kids are experimenting with drugs and sex. But otherwise, nothing has really changed. There is no new social order, just a few more creepy cults and apparently animal control has lost all its funding.

Despite a constant and overbearing attempt to strive for mystery and meaning, The Leftovers doesn't garner much interest or emotional investment.
  89. Jul 7, 2014
    I had high expectations for this show, I have been sadly disappointed mostly by the mute smoking characters. If they are suppose to be purifying themselves, starting a new, why would they be smoking!? That's not the only disappointing thing, having millions of people disappear sounds cool, but the writers jump three years a head. Don't most story lines have a beginning before a middle!?I had high expectations for this show, I have been sadly disappointed mostly by the mute smoking characters. If they are suppose to be purifying themselves, starting a new, why would they be smoking!? That's not the only disappointing thing, having millions of people disappear sounds cool, but the writers jump three years a head. Don't most story lines have a beginning before a middle!? I do have to say the only thing that I have enjoyed so far is Justin Theroux, hope to see more of his pecs and abs. Expand
  90. Jul 7, 2014
    As usual, I made the mistake of reading the book first. At this point, I cannot decide what this is. The book is a character driven novel that at least early on lets you know that the "event" is essentially over. The rest becomes interesting character responses to the "event." The series has created characters that don't exist in the book, along the a story line that doesn't either. So itAs usual, I made the mistake of reading the book first. At this point, I cannot decide what this is. The book is a character driven novel that at least early on lets you know that the "event" is essentially over. The rest becomes interesting character responses to the "event." The series has created characters that don't exist in the book, along the a story line that doesn't either. So it is so far very loosely based on the book, and I mean loosely! Expand
  91. Jul 6, 2014
    I love this type of shows at the beginning. It looks a lot like the one that started all "The Returned". They all have this premise about the people that we miss when they are gone and the dreams we have about them. It's a great start BUT by episode 5 (as in life) there are no answers, so everything becomes crappy evangelical sci fi very difficult to watch. The actors are amazing.
  92. Jul 5, 2014
    Another proof that critic writers are whores who write and do anything for money.This poorly written and bit and pieces story.Acting wise its perfect but lack of powerful plot make it unwatchable.Persons who love ths either retarded or losers who has so much time to waste
  93. Jul 4, 2014
    Extremely disssapointed by HBO. It is extremely unoriginal.

The sheriff is the main character, he has drug/mental problems, doesn't get along with daughter- stopped me if you have heard this before. Then there's this weird cult people for some random reason and guess what, the Sheriff's wife is in it! Oh no opposite sides how will that work out?! Then his son is also with some
    Extremely disssapointed by HBO. It is extremely unoriginal.

Then his son is also with some weird evil guy, oh no opposite sides again! There is just so much drama.

There is lots of animal violence for one episode as well.

I watched episode 1, I will not be watching anymore episodes.
  94. Jul 4, 2014
    This must be the most pretentious show that I have ever seen. I did not know whether to cry or laugh when I saw the "people in white smoking cigarettes and writing notes to each other rather than talking" secretly knowing that it will not have a slightest impact on the plot and the whole mystery is just for the sake of mystery. Prepare for 1000 meaningless subplots and main plot that makesThis must be the most pretentious show that I have ever seen. I did not know whether to cry or laugh when I saw the "people in white smoking cigarettes and writing notes to each other rather than talking" secretly knowing that it will not have a slightest impact on the plot and the whole mystery is just for the sake of mystery. Prepare for 1000 meaningless subplots and main plot that makes no sense.

Might I add that the writing is uninspiring, acting unconvincing and the whole thing dull to the point I fell asleep on two occasions before I tortured myself to watch this thing to the end?

1 for music.

Fool me once....
  95. Jul 4, 2014
    Unbearable, hamfisted stupidity. Terrible, terrible, terrible writing.
    I'm shocked this has a green score. Don't waste an hour of your life checking out the pilot.
  96. Jul 3, 2014
    As I watched the premiere of The Leftovers, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had gone back in time to ABC's 2009/2010 season of large blockbuster flops like; Flash Forward, V and Happy Town. Shows with an interesting premise but couldn't deliver for more than a season.

This appears to be the case with The Leftovers. I feel that the show is more about the ego of it's creator with a bunch of sulking, beautiful actors. Justin Theroux's performance is so brewing that you immediately hate him. Not to mention he looks more like a cop stripper on his way to a bachelorette party, than the small town police chief.
    This show may be OK for ABC but is far beneath the caliber of HBO.
  97. Jul 1, 2014
    I don't mind the slow pacing, as many of my favorite shows also don't seem prone to easy or rushed answers. But the story shown in the pilot was not enough to depict an appealing new world. Although the plot may develop into something more promising than it initially appears to be, the characters introduced so far were not interesting at all. I'll give it another chance next Sunday, though.
  98. Jul 1, 2014
    I wouldn't usually review a show before the first season has aired, but some of these negative reviews are ridiculous.
    The show it atmospheric, has a nuanced and endlessly intriguing premise and is anchored by some great performances. Can't wait for the rest of the first season.
  99. Jun 30, 2014
    We trusted Damon Lindelof on Lost and we all know how well that turned out. When Lost ended I wanted my 121 hours back. I won't make the same mistake twice. Once again we're being teased that everything will eventually be explained in the end. You know what? I don't care. Hopefully the all people who disappeared went off to appear in better shows than this one.
  100. Jun 30, 2014
    To add to my other review. What is going on with the critic reviews of this show...? 24 positive and 2 negative.

to quote... Many will hate it. But there will be viewers in whom it strikes a chord so deeply that they will feel themselves overwhelmed by it in the best possible way: not like they're drowning in the misery, but like it's teaching them a new way to breathe. Yeah...I'm

to quote...

Yeah...I'm suffocating.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Aug 7, 2014
    The narrative flow is murky and chaotic, and at times it chokes up.... But The Leftovers builds in potency.
  2. Reviewed by: Zach Hollwedel
    Jul 3, 2014
    There's enough intrigue driving the premise to set The Leftovers up as a promising series; whether the show can maintain its momentum or succumbs to the weight of the myriad, potentially frustrating mysteries behind it remains to be seen.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 30, 2014
    The lack of a coherent storyline, even in a piece dedicated to exploring the lack of coherence in the world, makes The Leftovers a frustrating challenge.