• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 10, 2012
  • Season #: 1
6.2

1. Sep 28, 2012
    If you want a show full of stereotypes and predictable humor that isn't funny, then watch this show. Unfortunately, the premise had the potential to be funny. I know some people wouldn't watch it because there are gay characters, and nay-sayers will blame them when the show inevitably fails, but Modern Family sure seems to be doing all right. The difference is the writing. The New Normal is not groundbreaking in anyway. Even when they think showing people having sex within the first 5 minutes is edgy, it isn't because we see that constantly. Make something original. please. This is a DO NOT watch. Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2012
    I hated this show and found it unwatchable. It's need to draw the characters in strokes of black and white makes it seem silly compared to the deep and interesting characters in Modern Family. If Hollywood wants us to watch this type of comedy we need better characters that don't wink at the camera for laughs.
  3. Sep 19, 2012
    Anyone progressive enough to be fine with gays will be weary of this 30 minute PSA. The pilot showed potential, but the following episodes showed me a new show to watch for the purpose of laughing at how bad it is. Ryan Murphy usually has terrible 2nd season luck - this time he's saved us by starting early. The show tries all too hard to push the envelope, but their envelope is already sealed. At first I thought there would be competition for Modern Family, but I can't relate to or sympathize with a single "Normal" character whereas I love the entire cast of "Modern." This will be the "NEW" failure in NBC's recycle bin. Expand
  4. Sep 11, 2012
    Yuck. Didn't laugh, or chuckle, barely smiled. I thought the premise was interesting and modern but I found the show annoying and not funny at all.
  5. Sep 13, 2012
    This is nothing more than a lobotomized version of Modern Family. I watched the first episode and was appalled at how bad it was. I could not find anything remotely redeeming about the show, not even Ellen Barkin who I normally adore. this show is a waste of air space.
  6. Sep 13, 2012
    Really bad show. Scriptwriters seem to be relying on shock value for laughs, instead of actual wit. Barkin was awful and the rest of the characters are just plain annoying.
  7. May 15, 2013
    Ok, I get it. These guys are gay. Here's the thing, do we need to be reminded in every episode? Perhaps if the gay steriotypes and gay jokes stopped everyone would just accept this couple as normal.
  8. Nov 6, 2012
    I think the show tries too hard. It looks like it is a let-me-educate-you-about-gay-issues disguised as a comedy. I think that Modern Family and Glee do that in a much better way. The acting and dialogues are terrible!
  9. Oct 20, 2012
    It can be funny at times but mostly it is just political preaching about homophobia and stuff. There was even an episode about the election. This kind of stuff just should not be in a sitcom.
  10. Oct 2, 2012
    This is the worst new show on TV. In addition to being a terrible knock off, they did it poorly, and it's not funny. Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad.
  11. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a bad attempt at piggy backing off the success of Modern Family (which is a great show by the way) Don't bother with The New Normal. You might as well go to bed early. You'll be more entertained.
  12. Oct 1, 2012
    I can't say I was excited to watch this show,but I thought I would see something more original. The ''jokes'' doesn't work and all the characters are too stereotyped even for a comedy.Ryan Murphy needs to find the inspiration he had when he created Nip/Tuck, that show was truly remarkable.
  13. Oct 3, 2012
    I was quite ready to like this show, but I lost all interest when the truly worthwhile series, "Treme," was negatively referenced by an already disagreeable and stereotyped character, I changed the channel. Writers' "Pen" envy? Definitely without class...
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    This was just annoying. Every character was overplayed. I support gay rights, but this came across as preachy to the point of obnoxious. The writing was boring and loaded with jokes that didn't really come off.
  15. Dec 30, 2012
    Are you serious? It's really badly writen. It seems they are trying again to reinvent something that has been done. Not only is it mean spirited, it's jokes are old and played out. We need something fresh. I feel like I have seen this before.
  16. aev
    Jan 30, 2013
    The first episode showed promise but as the season progressed, the more and more annoying it go. It is sooooo cheesy. There's nothing I hate more than comedies that deliver "funny" lines and then theres a silence... it's just weird. Plus the characters are not likable at all. I do not recommend it at all.
  17. Dec 18, 2013
    I enjoyed this show for the first 4 episodes, then it started pushing an agenda and stopped being so funny. I watched one episode and didn't even crack a smile the entire time. When a "comedy" stops being funny to push an agenda, it's time to move on.

It's too bad though, because it had promise.
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    This show fails for the following reason: Good comedies build up unique characters, and then make fun of their quirks, or put them in funny situations in which they exhibit their quirks. Good shows do not make fun of people based on broad stereotypes. In one episode, the gay couple hires black people to pretend to be their 'black friends' at a party to prove to the Republican grandmother of their surrogate that they aren't voting for Obama based on his skin color. Then this lady goes on and on at dinner defending her politics. The episode ends with the gay couple befriending a mixed race couple, BASED on the color of their skin, to genuinely obtain 'diverse' friends, and the mixed race couple secretly congratulate each other because "they knew they needed gay friends!"

It is the stupidest thing I have ever had the misfortune to watch--and depresses me that this passes off as comedy. If you really want to watch a show that has lovely, funny characters, and is able to portray diversity and a changing America in a positive and healthy context...watch Modern Family.

1. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Sep 14, 2012
    The problem is--as is ever the case in sitcoms with no future, and this is one of them--vapid writing and characters drawn according to formula.
  2. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Sep 12, 2012
    [A] witty-but-poignant look at what it means to be a modern family.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Sep 11, 2012
    A little bit screechy, a little bit preachy, NBC's The New Normal is nonetheless the best comedy of the season--a season short on innovative comedies.