The Newsroom : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.3

1. Feb 5, 2016
    I'd like to say this show is fresh & riveting with a very witty & intelligent dialogue, but they're using REAL news events from the past, and hindsight is 20/20. It's VERY easy to look BACK at what's already happened and concoct the PERFECT foil, answer or comeback that one DIDN'T have the presence of mind to come up with at the time. THAT'S exactly what's happening here... Sorkin hasI'd like to say this show is fresh & riveting with a very witty & intelligent dialogue, but they're using REAL news events from the past, and hindsight is 20/20. It's VERY easy to look BACK at what's already happened and concoct the PERFECT foil, answer or comeback that one DIDN'T have the presence of mind to come up with at the time. THAT'S exactly what's happening here... Sorkin has taken OLD (albeit important) news and, for entertainment's sake, re-written history to reflect the perfect response to, from & by an intelligent, arrogant-but-compassionate, well-read character that didn't exist at the time same REAL news was happening. So, to that end, I would be MORE impressed if he DID NOT use FACTUAL past news stories, but made up just as important FICTIONAL news stories to make the overall premise more believable and credible.

It's the classic 'I wish I would have thought of THAT then...." statement that we ALL make AFTER the fact, and we all know how EASY that is.
  2. Aug 21, 2015
    Life imitating art as the Main Stream Reviewers attack anything remotely honest about the political system, ie the Tea Party. The Head of the Network wants to eliminate the show because it attacks the Tea Party. She uses the gossip columns, real life uses the reviewers. Low and behold, another popular show bites the dust! Moreover, this show only attacks the obvious while reinforcing theLife imitating art as the Main Stream Reviewers attack anything remotely honest about the political system, ie the Tea Party. The Head of the Network wants to eliminate the show because it attacks the Tea Party. She uses the gossip columns, real life uses the reviewers. Low and behold, another popular show bites the dust! Moreover, this show only attacks the obvious while reinforcing the fantasy that 19 Arabs were allowed to destroy the twin towers and building 7, that Osama Bin Laden was alive and killed by US Forces when anyone with Kidney disease would have died long before the alleged event. So even this limited hangout was squashed Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2015
    Aside from the West Wing, this is the great written show I've every seen (and I've seen a lot). The character development is fantastic and the real life events the show is built around lets you relive some of the biggest moments in the United States' recent history (with a slight editorial spin).

I say it's a must watch.
  4. May 14, 2015
    great show, it's a shame it ended that soon...
    Jeff Daniels, Olivia Munn & Sam Waterston were super brilliant.
    It incites people to think for themselves and show how new media is making us dumber everyday.
  5. Dec 13, 2014
    Terrific...poses questions... I don't know of any other show that takes on the world events and possible background... The romances are okay... The political and world information is stellar. It is a threat to the tea party, Fox News, conservatives....a big source of negative reviews.
  6. Nov 28, 2014
    This show rocks my world! Critics suck! It's so much better then most the duds on television and you know it. I'm just sad it's almost over. What a tragedy! Thank you Aaron Sorkin for being such an innovator and staying true to your voice. One of the finest writers of our time. Can't wait to see what you do next!
  7. Aug 27, 2014
    Every now and then, along comes a TV series that attains that rarefied air of greatness. The Newsroom is that show. Excellent acting, script, dialog with a fast enough moving storyline to keep you engaged. A special gem indeed. Highly recommend.
  8. Apr 18, 2014
    I highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. TheI highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. The Newsroom not only entertains us but inspires a hope of what American journalism can be, and to a greater extent what the framework for a "national conversation" can look like. I noticed a complaint about the news topics not being "current" enough -- but keep in mind when this show originally aired...it's about as current as can be. For those who care, it's a much more wholesome product compared to a lot of the garbage that I see the critics praising, and I even find the show heartwarming at times (usually towards the end of episodes lol)..... give it a fair shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry critics, but you're dead wrong on this one. It's the viewers whose opinions matter most anyways, and the numbers don't lie. Two thumbs up!
  9. Mar 14, 2014
    F**k the critics.. Aaron Sorkin is a dramatical genius and this show is well acted & directed. Add it to great shows as West Wing. Truly a masterpiece//
  10. Jan 12, 2014
    I really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon ofI really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon of chill pills. Seriously. Everyone on this show is a freakin ticking time bomb. The staff is insubordinate. It's hard to tell who is in charge. You've got associate producers yelling at the sr. producers. EP's yelling at the talent. The talent yelling at anyone breathing. Some guy who doesn't even work on the show(Don whats-his-face) yelling at everyone.Some roommate of the AP chick dating the SP just burst into the office on valentine's day and started yelling and screaming. Can somebody call security?? It's completely chaotic and not in a train-wreck-you-cant-help-but-watch kind of way. Its just a train wreck. It is possible to have all the elements of drama with much less yelling and screaming. I would enjoy this show 1000% more, if the characters learned how to use their inside voice and knew their place. It's called being a professional actor. Make me feel the drama without spitting in my face. Expand
  11. Nov 7, 2013
    LOVE this show. The writing and dialogue is amazingly witty and clever. The characters and plot are engaging. I also appreciate the political sub-texts. I can't wait to see what happens next season.
  12. Sep 20, 2013
    A well written and well paced story that works around true news stories. I just had to watch the first 10 minutes of the very first episode and I was hooked. It's a drama that's relate-able if you pay attention to the news.
  13. Sep 5, 2013
    i really enjoy this show and the characters. I don't understand why it is considered "hate viewing" buy so many perhaps because it wears its liberalism on its sleeve? Its West Wing in a newsroom big issues, snappy dialogue, a good mix of characters to like and to hate, and some eye candy too.
  14. Aug 31, 2013
    The Pilot is phenomenal. Watch that if nothing else. The rest of the show has its highs and lows. Witty like Sorkin can be, but with some annoying, messy characters. It's intelligent but also occasionally preachy, schmaltzy and melodramatic. It's not great television, but it's certainly bold. 6.8/10
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of critical critics are just politically oriented opinions. Worst TV series ever? I would say the guy who says that is worse professional ever. The show is brilliant sometimes, kind of dumb about the personal love relationships but quite clever about the rest. I imagine Talibans means otherwise. Expand
  16. Aug 12, 2013
    Great show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitasGreat show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitas necessary to carry out a job like that. As for the writing: enough already re. "Will & Mack's" former relationship. They are behaving like jr. highschoolers. Expand
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  18. Jul 28, 2013
    Whilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows anyWhilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows any of the mundane, drab language that is plastered all over commercial TV. Furthermore, the show itself parallels the pace of the dialogue never letting up a dull moment. The show has also received a lot of criticism over the unrealistic characterisation of protagonist Will McAvoy. To any non-believers of the 'paragon' archetype, I would like to direct your attention to the immense success of Sorkin's Jed Bartlet, protagonist of The West Wing. Sorkin's Newsroom gives us hope that the paragons of this world will attempt to make the world a better place. Watch this show and see the characters defined not by their profession, but by their personalities as human beings. It's about time we had a show like this! Expand
  19. Jul 23, 2013
    This is just perfect...
    Its not only entertaining, but unpredictable and keeps us fully engaged in it...
    Its like you can feel the show...
    After watching the start of the 2nd season, I think Its going to be a bigger hit than anyone ever expected...
    Just Awesome..
  20. Jul 14, 2013
    It's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to doIt's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to do is deflect. The Newsroom is clearly a hit piece on them. period. Expand
  21. Jul 8, 2013
    After reading the reviews of pretentious journalist from main written media outlets like the NY Times and Wallstreet, I love the show even more. It has depth, comedy, and is one of the most thought provoking cable programs I’ve seen in a long time. Bravo.
  22. May 18, 2013
    If you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 yearIf you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 year olds. He is speaking to a generation of young American's who have been told their entire lives that they are responsible for the collapse of a nation, and instead he is reminding us that through education and inspiration, we are the solution to the sickness that was our fathers generation. He uses drama and romance to lure in not just the highly educated, but all aspects of society while weaving in political messages and the importance of questioning the media. He learned from the West Wing that no 20 year old is taking a stand against big business by watching an hour of political based dialogue, so instead he wrote a series that speaks to them, incorporates drama, love, and even the power of the Internet and gave them a protagonist to look up to. That is the genius of Aaron Sorkin. Expand
  23. Mar 12, 2013
    If you can keep up with Sorkin, you'll love this. If you don't like Sorkin's style, you'll hate this. The show has all the Sorkinisms: rapid dialogue, conversations while walking down hallways, characters who are quick to give impassioned monologues, and probably other ones I can't think of right now. Personally, I love it.
  24. Jan 13, 2013
    This could easily be the best show to come out of the American TV machine. Another triumph of Aaron Sorkin's abilities as a writer and a clear display that he's still in the 'sweet spot' of story propagation. Some have said that the show is 'preachy' and to them I say, watch Newsnight in the UK and one might gauge a real appreciation that exudes from a news anchor (sorry Jeremy). Some sayThis could easily be the best show to come out of the American TV machine. Another triumph of Aaron Sorkin's abilities as a writer and a clear display that he's still in the 'sweet spot' of story propagation. Some have said that the show is 'preachy' and to them I say, watch Newsnight in the UK and one might gauge a real appreciation that exudes from a news anchor (sorry Jeremy). Some say that the show is too 'high-brow' and flaunts and agenda, and to them I say, GOOD. Why can't entertainment have a political agenda? Especially in the context that this programme is written in. Why can't entertainment show that the writer has an education and has assumed that the viewers have an education too? The acting is superb from a brilliant ensemble that is showcasing the acting talents of both the old-'er' generation with Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer portraying a dynamic, professional, yet chaotic, immature duo. Along with rising heavyweight Dev Patel, the show has only one place to go. Up. The only hang-up I have about this show is the underlying personal attitude that Sorkin has politically. This may seem hypocritical given what I've just said, however, Sorkin's thinly veiled content for the ultra conservatives in the Republican party (given his strong sympathies for the Democrats) is easy to spot and is only disguised by the fact the leading character is a Republican himself. Having said that, it's always fun to see someone poking fun at the Tea Party. The show has a great ensemble, great potential and a heavyweight production company, (let's face it HBO don't lend their name to a flop). It has the potential to go from brilliant to phenomenal. Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2012
    Totalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper andTotalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper and downright perfect at times. The intensity of the critical situations has been dramatized wonderfully. This is television, I don't know why people keep reviewing it on the basis of realistic point of views. I don't know how real world journalism works, neither do I give a damn about it. All I care about is that this show is thought-provoking and entertaining at the same time. And if you have a problem with that and you want it to be just like the real world reporting, then just go and watch the real world reporting like CNN or Fox. Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2012
    Great show! It's not so much a soap opera romance about characters as the critics seem to want. It's a serious critique of the news media and why it is becoming useless infotainment. Very well done.
  27. Sep 30, 2012
    The critics are wrong. This show is fantastic. This is first and foremost a show about the news and not about public policy. Sure, it takes sides on political issues, but it is primarily about the broken way in which we have national conversations in America today. I think reviewers who focus on Mr. Sorkin's political views miss the point entirely. It also delivers on the fundamentalThe critics are wrong. This show is fantastic. This is first and foremost a show about the news and not about public policy. Sure, it takes sides on political issues, but it is primarily about the broken way in which we have national conversations in America today. I think reviewers who focus on Mr. Sorkin's political views miss the point entirely. It also delivers on the fundamental promise of any television show, that it should tell a compelling story. I care about every character and each scene feels important and exciting. I believe it also offers a lot of inspiration and food for thought vis a vis the news media. Expand
  28. Sep 30, 2012
    the critic reviews of this are just disgusting and so shallow it makes me despise hollywood. finally, a show with intellectual honesty and integrity and all the sadly tasteless hollywood critic morons insecure about their intellect go crazy. mr sorkin, its about time you came. stay strong.

best, a real person, with a real life, who enjoys good tv
  29. Sep 29, 2012
    Love this show! Lots of pertinent information about some of our real life news crises, full of humor, witty double entendre and dialogue, and makes you feel for the characters and their personal issues..so much character chemistry and just plain awesome! I don't normally purchase seasons/box sets of anything, but this is a must-have! Can't wait for the second season!
  30. Sep 29, 2012
    Finally!!! A smart well written show about REAL NEWS!!! Too bad some of the characters are just pasties - boring excuse for sexual tension and schlock romance but Sam Waterston and Jeff Daniels make it all worthwhile...

Damn, thank god for HBO and the BBC....

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.