• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
8.4

1. Jun 29, 2012
    That Wall Street Journal review was an embarrassment and probably reflects the political leanings of Rupert Murdock more than an honest assessment of the show (which was brilliant by the way).
  2. Jun 25, 2012
    Wasn't expecting much when I checked out this one, but I couldn't have been more wrong, as out just clicked. The Newsroom is intelligent AND inspiring, with excellent writing. :) And here I thought they don't make shows like this anymore these days...
  3. Jun 26, 2012
    "People choose the FACTS they want now!"

So true. And this is the scary part about "news" organizations like Faux (Fox) News in our society. Who spend more time stoking the fire, witchhunting, race baiting, and playing to the worst fears and stereotypes in American culture to an audience who needs it to feel "comfortable". People can turn on that station and hear EXACTLY what
    they want to hear to justify their tired positions and prejudice ideals. Preaching to the choir is destroying this country. The real question is: if given the opportunity to watch a real good INFORMATIVE news program will the UNIFORMED Americans who NEED to be hearing it even watch it?

That's the million dollar question.

This show is absolutely brilliant. The writing is first class. The dialogue is rapid fire and ingenious. It moves fast but carries so much weight at the same time. And the use of real events can make for some surreally powerful moments down the line if done right. I cannot wait to see how this beauty of a show unfolds.

Ignore the critics who work for publications and corporations who are making a sh!tload of money by being guilty of EXACTLY what this show is calling out: sensationalized media propaganda. It's about damn time someone stood and said something. About damn time. Sorkin is a ray of hope. He knows as Mackenzie put it to Will, "we can do better".
  4. Jun 24, 2012
    It has an obvious political slant, yes, but put that to the side, and HBO's The Newsroom is witty, well-written, and insanely entertaining, filled with outstanding performances (Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer are AWESOME, Alison Pill is great, and John Gallagher Jr. is really good).
  5. Jul 16, 2012
    Even at its worst, 'The Newsroom' is far superior to most of television's offerings. Granted, there is a smug self congratulatory quality about the show that is paralleled by the Daniels character, but there are also periods of sparkling dialog and nicely turned comedic and dramatic moments. Also.. some truth does emerge from the wreckage of the political lies exposed. I don't imagine a single opinion will be swayed from watching 'Newsroom', nor should that be the show's intent, however no one from either side of the political spectrum should object to this show's exposing unglamorous facts behind sensationalized fictions of news reporting these days, reporting that too often is pure opinion, devoid of any intellectual or scientific argument. Expand
  6. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  7. Aug 27, 2012
    Fantastic show covering the flaws of media and politics whilst still presenting that beautiful hope that we can do better. Characters and dialogue are exactly what you expect from Sorkin and for those who don't like it, chances are it's because you don't get it.
  8. Sep 13, 2012
    A great show (in it's own right) with some very important ideas. The greatest thing the United Sates has going for it as a country is the independence of it journalism. It's the check and balance of your government. As a Canadian, I've been watching with fear and horror as your fourth estate has been eroded by corporatization of the independent stations and more and more control by large business. The Newsroom attempts to show this and I hope it's voice isn't drowned out by the very group it's calling to task. Expand
  9. Jul 1, 2012
    This show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm looking forward to the next nine episodes. Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2012
    Best show since the West Wing, if you likes Studio 60 and TWW, you'll adore his. Sharp dialogue, "speaking truth to stupid" is wonderful, great script, VERY funny, so far awesome story lines... loving it. And Ep.4 overtook Ep.1 as ny new favourite, if that was possible.
  11. Jun 27, 2012
    Amazing pilot. Great acting, and the show is telling more truth than most news outlets, which is pretty sad considering it's a work of fiction. Really amazing how so many "professional" critics that work within the press are reviewing it negatively. Must have touched a sore spot.
  12. Jun 26, 2012
    I went into this show with no knowledge of it whatsoever and I'm glad. I thought it was great and has plenty of potential for future shows. I liked the characters and the acting.

I will definitely be watching again.
  13. Jul 29, 2012
    Don't listen to the critics on this one. Its painfully obvious that the low average score--if you read the bad reviews--is due to the industry not taking to criticism of itself very well, and criticism of the news industry is this show's bread and butter. The dialogue between characters is whip smart and funny, and the pacing of the series as a whole (so far) is excellent.
  14. Jul 27, 2012
    Yes it's got its flaws... The actors took a little while to settle in to their roles but this show is excellent. Gripping, lots of human interest stuff whilst making important points about the facile nature of our celebrity culture, the lack of plurality in our news providers and the conflict of interests between news providers and the corporations whose advertisements pay for them to exist in the first place. Definitely worth a look... Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2012
    What is wrong with the critics!?! Usually I agree with them on mostly all shows, but how can a professional critic not see the brilliance behind this series. It's witty, well written, hilarious without trying to be, and the acting is great. Hands down one of the best new series on TV!
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    If you can keep up with Sorkin, you'll love this. If you don't like Sorkin's style, you'll hate this. The show has all the Sorkinisms: rapid dialogue, conversations while walking down hallways, characters who are quick to give impassioned monologues, and probably other ones I can't think of right now. Personally, I love it.
  17. Jun 25, 2012
    Fantastic first episode. smart TV is back. Neither left, nor right but trying to present as boldly as possible the insanity that is a 24 hour news cycle and the often non existent fine line between idealism and the world that isn't interested. "People choose their own FACTS!" cries Jeff Daniels in frustration while arguing the value of remaining employed with his new producer. Sam Waterson is giving the preformance of a lifetime as the elder statesman of the news, a man who's seen everything from Edward R Murrow, to glenn beck. This is the show to watch, thanks for giving us compelling arguments again! Expand
  18. hbo
    Jun 24, 2012
    This could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch and judge this amazing show on your own, not from the eyes of a journalist that is comparing it to their own life and work. I can't wait for this season to unfold! Expand
  19. Aug 27, 2012
    fantastic acting, great actors and a brilliant humour amongst a strong and compelling storyline. The only negative I would say is that it can be hard to follow in parts when it seems to talk in a fast paste way and is a bit much to keep up with. Other than that I have really enjoyed this series and I look forward to the second series with great anticipation.
  20. Aug 1, 2012
    It is sad that people watch one or two episodes and think they can understand the true dynamic of a show. Newsroom is an ever-changing, intelligent show about events that have been important to America in the past few years. As a show the acting, directing, and camera work is incredible. The characters are all so relate able and interesting. It's a must see and you have to give it more than just two episodes. One of the best shows on TV right now! Expand
  21. Jun 24, 2012
    If you have HBO, I recommend you check out this show. Overall it does a great job at poking fun at American politics and current events throughout the show, especially in the beginning. The first episode's plot takes a while to develop, especially with the characters, but halfway through the episode it really picks up. I'm curious to see how the character's relationships with each other develops further as the season progresses as I can see things go into any direction.

Overall I enjoyed the first episode and will continue watching it every week. I think the reason some of the reviews are mixed as they poke fun at each political side, and most journalists seem very slanted towards one side to another that they can't handle any criticism towards their beliefs. Ignore smug journalist's reviews like the New Yorker and check it out for yourself and form your own opinion.
  22. Aug 6, 2012
    Really not sure where all the critics are coming from about this show, from where I sit this is the best drama on television. HBO delivers pure gold once again, honestly at this point I rarely ever watch anything that isn't on HBO.

I just wish Will McAvoy was a real person with a real news show, because America really could use a f*cking lawyer right now.
  23. Jun 29, 2012
    HBO does it again with another great drama with great acting. Jeff Daniels comes across with enough pomposity and his counterpart Emily Mortimer with an equal amount of zeal that when they are on the screen together you just do not want it to end. The other characters around them work to make their newsroom real for you as you watch. This was a great debut and had me at Jeff's opening diatribe and now on my TIVO list for the duration. Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2012
    This programme is brilliant it really is already it
  25. AKH
    Jul 31, 2012
    Incredible show. One of the best that I have seen for a very long time. The fact that they are using real events as a backdrop to the show is a stroke of genius. If you want to see a brilliantly written show, with characters that you can invest in, then look no further.
  26. Sep 6, 2012
    This has got to be my favourite new show of the past three years at least. A great cast fronted by the brilliant Jeff Daniels, who does not get enough work for my liking, and the imperious Emily Mortimer supplement well-founded story lines that allow us to see some of the ongoings behind the screen. So what if it is glorified? If it wasn't, I highly doubt every episode would be entertaining.
  27. Jun 25, 2012
    Before the show was released, I had seen many trailers that excited me to no end and after watching the first episode, it did not disappoint. The fast paced dialogue and witty writing of Sorkin makes the show very enjoyable. Almost all the reviews I have seen for this show have been negative but I thought it was brilliant with great casting and excellent writing.
  28. Jun 25, 2012
    This show was absolutely excellent in the pilot episode. The critics out there making the start of this show look so grim are the people this show is trying to put down. Definitely recommend others to see this, it is very entertaining, intelligent, and witty. Just what I was looking for in a show, and I'm glad HBO is brought it.
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    I am surprised at the flack the show is getting from critics. I have enjoyed Sorkin in the past and was keeping an eye on the show but I was by no means desperate for it to succeed. After seeing the critic reviews I felt it was a shame that the show was apparently not very strong but after watching it for myself, all I can say is watch it for yourself and make your own decision because I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. It's very West Wing but with an angrier tone. Instead of having a nice charming lead like the West Wing we have a cynical and crumbling man. I hope that this cynicism won't take the enjoyment out of the show in the long run but so far it has been handled well.

I found the rest of the staff dynamic actually the most enjoyable aspect and more relatable than previous Sorkin shows. There appears to be more sympathy and heart from what I've seen and I hope this continues to develop.
  30. Jun 25, 2012
    I really don't understand why this show is getting so much bad press. It has some of the best writing i have seen on television in a long time. The pilot episode is over an hour long and yet it seemed so short because the pacing of the show is impeccable. The characters are well acted and have been left room to grow as the show goes on. I see this show only getting better. If you think this show is off to a rocky start, I beg you to stick with it. The writing, the production value, the acting, and the relevant plot are somethings that will keep me invested in The Newsroom. Two thumbs up HBO and Aaron Sorkin! Expand
  31. Jun 25, 2012
    It is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to view something objectively. This show is a spectacular period piece and presents some great commentary on America's news and media systems. Expand
  32. Jun 25, 2012
    Absolutely wonderful. If you're an old school Aaron Sorkin fan (Sports Night, The West Wing) or a more modern fan (The Social Network) - you're going to absolutely love this show. I love the West Wing and this show definitely has the feel of the West Wing. Those of you who have watched Studio 60 - I really feel like The Newsroom is a hybrid between Studio 60 and The West Wing. There are a lot of negative reviews out there and I'll say this - I think this show needs room to grow and develop. Also - I'm of the belief that critics don't have an everyday person's eye for things. They're job is to be critical. Ours are just to enjoy. Aaron Sorkin's job is to entertain you for 40+ minutes. I think he gets it done in The Newsroom. Expand
  33. Jun 26, 2012
    Honestly, the critics have simply got this WRONG. I have not enjoyed a pilot more since seeing the opening episode of The Sopranos. Aaron Sorkin is a great stylistic writer, and his TV shows are always bright and interesting. This show pushes it further though, it felt more humorous, more human, and overall just unbelievably engaging.

People need to watch this and continue rating it to
    where it truly deserve to be, which is one of the best new shows to come out in years.

Just like with Rubicon the critics are 100% wrong, but hopefully unlike Rubicon, they wont harm the ratings too much and shorten this show's lifespan. I know I have only seen one episode, but I'm desperate to see this show run for years. Luckily i'm sure HBO will be a little kinder to Aaron Sorkin, so a "Studio 60" wont happen to this beautiful piece of art.
  34. Jun 26, 2012
    I have just seen the first chapter. I was so bummed about the critics reviews that I thought the show went over the line with a speech every ten seconds and not enough character development. But no, turns out critics suck balls. This looks like another masterpiece from Aaron Sorkin and people will leave the show more informed than they were before. I specially loved the "compromise" line, as a metaphor of how it usually works for the democrats. I loved it. Watch it, and please ignore the ratings or critics, this is only a 1000% Sorkin. Expand
  35. Dec 23, 2012
    Totalt honesty: After watching the complete first season, I'm very disappointed in critics and the media for rating it so low. This show has a stellar cast that give incredible performances. The writing is totally brilliant, we all know how great Aaron Sorkin is. The show's humor is good, makes you laugh and gets you in the light mood. The pace of every single episode is proper and downright perfect at times. The intensity of the critical situations has been dramatized wonderfully. This is television, I don't know why people keep reviewing it on the basis of realistic point of views. I don't know how real world journalism works, neither do I give a damn about it. All I care about is that this show is thought-provoking and entertaining at the same time. And if you have a problem with that and you want it to be just like the real world reporting, then just go and watch the real world reporting like CNN or Fox. Expand
  36. Jun 26, 2012
    The viewers are going to love it, the "serious" reviews are going to look at it from a different view point. For me it is a romantic comedy about two people who love each other and just happen to work side by side. Working in a newsroom and dealing with a subject we are familiar with just makes it more interesting. Great entertainment.
  37. Jun 26, 2012
    Only seeing the first episode, I am very fulfilled with this show. I found the whole episode to be riveting. I just love the mixture of politics and journalism and being a student of journalism I find almost every aspect of it fascinating. A+++
  38. Jun 26, 2012
    It's been 1 episode so far and I am very pleased that I have another HBO show to look forward to. So well written and acted that I did get lost in it. Great job.
  39. Jun 27, 2012
    This show is fantastic. I love it for its fast paced dialogue, it's presentation of "process" from within another part of our societal institutions. It's use of historical news events is great, and lends it a more realistic feel. The music, is actually a plus. I am looking forward to the next episode. I think there was a conscious effort to model some of this after Olberman, and I think to some small extent, he should take it as a compliment Expand
  40. Jun 29, 2012
    The opening sequence in which McEvoy (Jeff Daniels) reveals his dismay about the state of modern American was the most stirring opening monologue for any television show in recent memory. The rest of the episode dwelt too long on a dysfunctional boy-girl relationship between two staffers and the willingness of McEvoy to sacrifice millions of dollars in salary to get the right to fire his newly-hired executive producer. In addition, Sorkin should recognize that comedy isn't his strong suit and refrain from the urge to inject comedic elements that don't work (as demonstrated painfully in the failed series "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"). Nevertheless, the show compares favorably with the BBC's "The Hour", but is more relevant for contemporary America. Expand
  41. Jun 29, 2012
    Once again, Sorkin proves smarter than his critics.
    Fortunately HBO lets him play to a smarter audience.
    Unlike Studio 60, The Newsroom's setting allows plenty of twists and turns to justify his frenetic pace.
    I look forward to many enjoyable, taughtly written episodes!
  42. Jul 2, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin proved once more that he can create great TV shows like hardly anyone else. I loved Sports Night and West Wing from the first episode I've seen and The Newsroom is no way different. With so many crap shows around it's great to see Mr. Sorkins work back on screen. Similar to West Wing not everyone may like the (political) opinions of the characters, but it's a TV show and as such it has everything a great show needs. A great concept, wonderful scripts and amazing actors. When an episode ends I already start to wait for the next one. It never stops being fun to watch. Thanks to Aaron Sorkin and anyone else involved with providing this show. Expand
  43. Jul 2, 2012
    Great show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might be a slightly more believable Republican if he stopped behaving like a 3D person. And Allison Pill might've served her character better in ep. 2 if she'd delivered her lines deadpan as opposed to Full Screech. And Mortimer (who kicks butt) might be a happier actress if her character didn't fall into the goofiest technotraps of the pre-Cambrian era: 2002. Then again, if you scrutinize anything too hard (and this show has received more scrutiny than any other in recent memory, which is kind of bizarre) it's going to seem like a failure. We could also whine about the way dragons really strain credulity in Game of Thrones. To say nothing of those Nordic zombies, who make it tough to suspend your disbelief, huh? Let's not forget the more conventional zombies of Walking Dead: hey, that's not an accurate portrayal of Atlanta! Or how Breaking Bad's Walter White's literally unbelievable luck passes understanding 9 times out of 10. Or how Mad Men's period-piece misogyny really offends us as it's not nice to not be nice All. The. Time. And the Sopranos. Were we really supposed to put up with six seasons of James Gandolfini's character's twee pop-psych issues? Yes. BECAUSE IT'S TV. It would take far more than 5000 characters to really unpack this, so just watch the show. You won't regret it. And it'll be readily apparent why viewers universally love Newsroom while critics wring their hands over the way characters don't rely on Twitter for leads -- how unrealistic! Expand
  44. Jul 9, 2012
    This is such an entertaining show. Episode three was filled with great acting, dialogue and a very ironic and mind blowing use of Jane Fonda to confront issues she is directly related to in real life. Sam Waterston is a hoot. I am enjoying the time that is afforded to both character development and to an in depth look at important issues. This is smart, entertaining television.
  45. Jul 10, 2012
    When you get past Arron Sorkin's one-way arguments and the somehow off-quality in the series, The Newsroom is excellent. Excellent enough to make you forget about the bias and sometimes contrived feel? Definitely. The casting is superb. And I mean SUPERB. This is the first show I've really seen where I love every character, or at least love to hate the rest. Arron Sorkin is also a great writer. Emily Mortimer's "but it could be" scene is just amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who loves well written, character driven drama. Expand
  46. Jul 16, 2012
    This rating includes the first three episodes released so far. Will Mcavoy's(Jeff Daniels) opening speech is performed so effectively there are people who won't watch this show because they are offended by Will McAvoy and believe they are in that college audience. I would give it a season just for moments like that.This is the only watchable show about news in a long time, easily the best so far. The real genius of the show is that this is slightly alternate history. A history where in the first episode one news network attempted what most everyone watching the Deepwater Horizon disaster wanted to see. Yes, there is exposition in the form of speeches, drama and fast cuts to keep you from getting bored. A history where instead of playing catchup because of chasing ratings, the network we are watching practices journalism at the beginning. And showed a believable gulf between what we saw two years ago and what we only now know we wanted to see. In the second, you see the aftermath of this choice, how this approach places the network at a disadvantage to those networks that pander. Jeff Daniel's Will Mcavoy will at first remind you of Keith Olbermann in the third episode with his editorials, but a better comparison would be Edward Murrow. Daniels portrays an aging network anchor effectively, and the episodes don't feel like they last an hour. This is worth watching, makes me wish I could see how they would have handled so many other episodes in the past twenty years. It shows a better world, not an unreachable one, but one that might have been Expand
  47. Jul 13, 2012
    Welcome home, Mr. Sorkin. I am thrilled to have you back where you belong. Entertaining me weekly like the good old days of THE WEST WING. THE NEWSROOM is the best of the best and the cast is superlative. Let some of the moronic right wing press have a go at you. It only shows how small minded and out of touch they are.
  48. Jul 13, 2012
    Not since Arrested Development has there been a show this entertaining. Aaron Sorkin is truly a genius. One of the greatest and most ingenious ideas for a show. Well done.
  49. Jul 16, 2012
    This is damn good. Yeah, Sorkin gets preachy -- he always does. But he also succeeds at doing what Sorkin does best: showing us what the world could, should, just maybe will look like. His characters? A little too smart. A little too perfect at their job, a little too flawed in their personal lives. But who cares? They present a standard to which we could hold any newsroom, and they entertain while doing so. Expand
  50. Jul 17, 2012
    An intelligent and thought provoking critique of American (and increasingly British) News as well as being simply entertaining drama. Simply thank you Aaron Sorkin and HBO.
  51. Jul 23, 2012
    HBO has recently become the lord of television media. They've shown integrity supporting shows with impeccable talent and class. Continuing its recent tradition with Game of Thrones and Girl, the television show The Newsroom is a new Aaron Sorkin show that revolves around a fantastic ensemble telling its narrative around actual news. While cheap sounding at first, it creates emotional entertainment that we can all connect with as its world is partially rooted in reality. This is a fantastic show with a fantastic message and is great entertainment all around. Expand
  52. Jul 27, 2012
    The professional critics scoring below 70 are crazy, this show is great. Unrealistic dialog? Whadda they want, more reality TV with every third word bleeped? And who can forget Jeff Daniels's monologue from the opener? "We reached for the stars, acted like men, we aspired to intelligence, we didn
  53. Jul 26, 2012
    Pulling a show off like this is incredibly difficult. They handle real news stories and balance it with dramatic fiction. The core relationships are essentially a clone of the 80s classic Broadcast News. The behind the scenes newsroom content is chillingly accurate though. Jeff Daniels will win an Emmy for this and Emily Mortimer is fantastic.
  54. Jul 26, 2012
    Is the best show I see in my life. Maybe ordinary people don't understand the show because in liberal. The negative critics may me sad because is no fair. Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson are great. The dialogue are masterpiece. Please I want to see the next season. Is my favorite show and the only reason I still with HBO
  55. Jul 30, 2012
    The more I frequent this site, the more I feel the critics are out of touch with the average user. This show is fantastic. Great acting, compelling stories, hilarious moments and it uses real life news stories as a backdrop. I love the different perspectives that we get on real events and I love the chemistry between the characters. Watch this show.
  56. Aug 25, 2012
    Super serie que j'ai decouvert grace a un site !
    Le dialogue est très rapide et les personnage sont atachant !
    Series que je conseille et qui change de l'orginaire.
  57. Aug 5, 2012
    Best television I've seen. Ever. The truth hurts. I love how People Magazine gave it 2 stars. As they should of - they are just standing up for and defending their readership! Please don't stop - we need more truth out there.
  58. Aug 8, 2012
    I watch a lot of very good shows and in my opinion, this is now the best of them. It lacks the trademark exposed flesh of HBO shows, and yet this is the only place you could see this series.
    The dialog is quick and well-constructed, characters very likeable, and there are lots and lots of subplots juggled deftly.
    Is this about people who are smarter than anyone you know? Yes; it's
    Sorkin. But drama is not about sitting around on the couch, it's distilled stuff--and the characters don't have to be people who could work in the corner grocery IMO. Expand
  59. Aug 8, 2012
    I understand that the critics need to be negative to make themselves appear more intelligent than the average joe. My family loves this show, and we don't watch a lot of TV. We will now subscribe to HBO because of this show. It has an excellent mix of character development, drama, interaction and humor. The up to date time line of events and the use of real names keep it relevant, exposing the liars on the right with their own words. Just not as funny as Jon Stewart. Expand
  60. Jul 14, 2013
    It's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to do is deflect. The Newsroom is clearly a hit piece on them. period. Expand
  61. Aug 13, 2012
    Going into this show I thought I was just watching something to pass the time until my other shows came back. I was pleasantly surprised when out of nowhere and within the first five minutes of the first episode I was thrown entirely by how honest and heartfelt the show seemed. Within the first five minutes I knew that this was a gem of a show and that people should give it a chance
  62. Sep 20, 2013
    A well written and well paced story that works around true news stories. I just had to watch the first 10 minutes of the very first episode and I was hooked. It's a drama that's relate-able if you pay attention to the news.
  63. Aug 15, 2012
    Great show! It makes you think and draws you with its topics of modern news events. I still find myself laughing a lot during each episode though, so it is not too serious that it gets boring.
  64. Aug 17, 2012
    This show was recommended to me by a friend (one who'd never seen The West Wing). I decided to give it a shot, just in case, and was floored. The first 10 minutes of the show are riveting and compelling. I couldn't stop there, I just HAD to see what was going to happen next, and I wasn't disappointed.

At the time of this writing, the first 8 episodes are out, and I've watched them
    several times (!!!) each. And since there's little else on these days, I'm probably going to re-watch them repeatedly until the season is over, and Season Two comes out.

Many media critics are annoyed by the series. Maybe it's a little too close for comfort, or maybe their expectations are set to the wrong number. This isn't an attempt at rewriting/explaining/appropriating historical facts, it's a "what if" scenario set in our recent past. It's about "What if we decided to do news the way they SHOULD be done." And it pulls no punches, and it calls a liar a liar. Which is what a number of politicians do with impunity, these days. It's good (and VERY cathartic) to see a show that calls them out on their bull.

Anyway, give it a shot, you (almost) can't go wrong.

JC
  65. Sep 4, 2012
    I'm sorry, but anyone who rates this show lower than an 8 has some political agenda to fulfill. The writing is amazing and the acting is first-rate. Yes, there are a few unbelievable characters, but don't we have them in real-life as well? From all the negative comments I've read, people seem too concerned that episode 3 was preachy, or episode 7 didn't fit my political agenda. Screw that! This is TV writing AT ITS BEST!!! I dare you to find another show in the last decade that has half the heart of this show. Amazing all-around and Aaron Sorkin is a genius!! Expand
  66. Aug 25, 2012
    This show is leaps and bounds above anything else on television or HBO; really a pleasure to watch such quality writing/depth . As others have noted the dialogue can be somewhat manic but I'd truly be hard pressed to say the show could get much better. Fantastic job all!
  67. Aug 30, 2012
    This show is near perfect. It's my favorite series on HBO and a very inspirational one to myself as a journalist. Thank you creators and fantastic actors -- you made this a great season and I'm excited for the next one.
  68. Sep 17, 2012
    I just finished watching all of season 1 of the new series by Aaron Sorkin The Newsroom, and was glued to my seat. Very clever doing a back story of the characters lives behind the scenes of current events. I always wondered what would go through the mind of journalists who sold out for corporate controlled news manufactured by propaganda and hate mongering. Truthfully, I thought it would end after the gunning down of Gabrielle Giffords (my friend went to high school with her and has said nothing but wonderful things about this courageous woman) but alas, I was wrong. After years of being a proud centrist democrat, I became an independent during the Bush Administration because I could no longer believe democrats and republicans nor could I honestly TRUST what the media was reporting due to their corporate and political interests. The news became "friends" with the establishment therefore their credibility was lost-NEW YORK TIMES for example outing a CIA rogue operative all to control the Iraq War or having an entire network use language to influence the American People in the same way the far left or right spin doctors influence their agenda. My hope was that the new Administration would be cleaner and so would the news. The first two years, more HATE on the airwaves while an entire body of congress was stymied because of the rising Tea Party pushing such a vitriol and ignorance in society, where we were discussing if the President of the United States is a terrorist; not a natural born citizen; treated like less than a man; good republicans like Olympia Snowe or Chuck Hagel, Joe Scarborough, were being called RINOS-even the RNC Chairman comparing our president to a cowardly sea captain of a cruise ship-just disgusting! The hate toward moderate republicans and centrists because they are not far right or far left... enough was enough. President Reagan would be appalled and so am I as a citizen of the United States. Sorkin rips off the corporate duck tape glued to 'reporters mouths' and gives them a voice behind the camera. That to me is refreshing because I seriously doubt any college student wants to grow up and LIE to the American People on a daily basis all for political power and personal gain. They want to enrich lives and be courageous and change our world for the better. I am not surprised by critic outrage over this show. It's difficult to see what you've become-a weak shell of its former self, and a part of the problem. The news should not create truth-it should just simply TELL IT. Thanks Aaron Sorkin, and Scott Rudin and HBO for having the guts to TELL the TRUTH on both sides unlike the majority of the media-doesn't. Sadly, there are only a handful of good journalists on the airwaves. I'd like to see some of them take a stand like Richard Clarke did and say, "we screwed up and let you down. Now we start over." You owe it to Cronkite, Huntley, Brinkley, Jennings, Russert, Brokaw, Rather, and Edward R Murrow but most of all, you owe it to yourself! Even Bob Woodward can't even keep his integrity in check. Bravo Sorkin. Keep TELLING the TRUTH. Expand
  69. Sep 17, 2012
    The Newsroom can only be described as a breath of fresh air! I really enjoyed the storyline and cannot wait for the next season. The show is a fictional show & if you can grasp that, than you can enjoy everything else. Of course, some episodes are better than others, however this is a series meant to be watched from beginning to end. My advice, watch each episode in its entirety as they were meant to be. Just as you wouldn't judge a book by reading the first few pages, or reading the middle, you need to watch it all so you understand it all. There are several stories going on at once which keeps it interesting. Season 2...will be interesting. Expand
  70. Sep 24, 2012
    I love this show to the point of being momentarily obsessed with it. I've watched each episode 4 or 5 times, including one final run through with closed captioning turned on to make sure I didn't miss any of the dialog. This one case where HBO On Demand has been worth while. The show is a perfect combination of wit, human nature, political clarity and a dash of drama.

There aren't many
    things that I would award a perfect score to, and The Newsroom isn't quite perfect, but it is damn close. Of course, if you are a "Tea Bagger", I'm not surprised that you would disagree. The truth often hurts Expand
  71. Sep 29, 2012
    Love this show! Lots of pertinent information about some of our real life news crises, full of humor, witty double entendre and dialogue, and makes you feel for the characters and their personal issues..so much character chemistry and just plain awesome! I don't normally purchase seasons/box sets of anything, but this is a must-have! Can't wait for the second season!
  72. Sep 30, 2012
    the critic reviews of this are just disgusting and so shallow it makes me despise hollywood. finally, a show with intellectual honesty and integrity and all the sadly tasteless hollywood critic morons insecure about their intellect go crazy. mr sorkin, its about time you came. stay strong.

best, a real person, with a real life, who enjoys good tv
  73. Sep 30, 2012
    The critics are wrong. This show is fantastic. This is first and foremost a show about the news and not about public policy. Sure, it takes sides on political issues, but it is primarily about the broken way in which we have national conversations in America today. I think reviewers who focus on Mr. Sorkin's political views miss the point entirely. It also delivers on the fundamental promise of any television show, that it should tell a compelling story. I care about every character and each scene feels important and exciting. I believe it also offers a lot of inspiration and food for thought vis a vis the news media. Expand
  74. Nov 17, 2012
    Great show! It's not so much a soap opera romance about characters as the critics seem to want. It's a serious critique of the news media and why it is becoming useless infotainment. Very well done.
  75. Aug 27, 2014
    Every now and then, along comes a TV series that attains that rarefied air of greatness. The Newsroom is that show. Excellent acting, script, dialog with a fast enough moving storyline to keep you engaged. A special gem indeed. Highly recommend.
  76. Jul 23, 2013
    This is just perfect...
    Its not only entertaining, but unpredictable and keeps us fully engaged in it...
    Its like you can feel the show...
    After watching the start of the 2nd season, I think Its going to be a bigger hit than anyone ever expected...
    Just Awesome..
  77. May 18, 2013
    If you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 year olds. He is speaking to a generation of young American's who have been told their entire lives that they are responsible for the collapse of a nation, and instead he is reminding us that through education and inspiration, we are the solution to the sickness that was our fathers generation. He uses drama and romance to lure in not just the highly educated, but all aspects of society while weaving in political messages and the importance of questioning the media. He learned from the West Wing that no 20 year old is taking a stand against big business by watching an hour of political based dialogue, so instead he wrote a series that speaks to them, incorporates drama, love, and even the power of the Internet and gave them a protagonist to look up to. That is the genius of Aaron Sorkin. Expand
  78. Jul 8, 2013
    After reading the reviews of pretentious journalist from main written media outlets like the NY Times and Wallstreet, I love the show even more. It has depth, comedy, and is one of the most thought provoking cable programs I’ve seen in a long time. Bravo.
  79. Jul 28, 2013
    Whilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows any of the mundane, drab language that is plastered all over commercial TV. Furthermore, the show itself parallels the pace of the dialogue never letting up a dull moment. The show has also received a lot of criticism over the unrealistic characterisation of protagonist Will McAvoy. To any non-believers of the 'paragon' archetype, I would like to direct your attention to the immense success of Sorkin's Jed Bartlet, protagonist of The West Wing. Sorkin's Newsroom gives us hope that the paragons of this world will attempt to make the world a better place. Watch this show and see the characters defined not by their profession, but by their personalities as human beings. It's about time we had a show like this! Expand
  80. Sep 5, 2013
    i really enjoy this show and the characters. I don't understand why it is considered "hate viewing" buy so many perhaps because it wears its liberalism on its sleeve? Its West Wing in a newsroom big issues, snappy dialogue, a good mix of characters to like and to hate, and some eye candy too.
  81. Mar 14, 2014
    F**k the critics.. Aaron Sorkin is a dramatical genius and this show is well acted & directed. Add it to great shows as West Wing. Truly a masterpiece//
  82. Nov 7, 2013
    LOVE this show. The writing and dialogue is amazingly witty and clever. The characters and plot are engaging. I also appreciate the political sub-texts. I can't wait to see what happens next season.
  83. Apr 18, 2014
    I highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. The Newsroom not only entertains us but inspires a hope of what American journalism can be, and to a greater extent what the framework for a "national conversation" can look like. I noticed a complaint about the news topics not being "current" enough -- but keep in mind when this show originally aired...it's about as current as can be. For those who care, it's a much more wholesome product compared to a lot of the garbage that I see the critics praising, and I even find the show heartwarming at times (usually towards the end of episodes lol)..... give it a fair shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry critics, but you're dead wrong on this one. It's the viewers whose opinions matter most anyways, and the numbers don't lie. Two thumbs up!

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.