• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 24, 2012
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.4

1. Sep 24, 2012
    I love this show to the point of being momentarily obsessed with it. I've watched each episode 4 or 5 times, including one final run through with closed captioning turned on to make sure I didn't miss any of the dialog. This one case where HBO On Demand has been worth while. The show is a perfect combination of wit, human nature, political clarity and a dash of drama.

There aren't many

There aren't many things that I would award a perfect score to, and The Newsroom isn't quite perfect, but it is damn close. Of course, if you are a "Tea Bagger", I'm not surprised that you would disagree. The truth often hurts
  2. Sep 29, 2012
    Love this show! Lots of pertinent information about some of our real life news crises, full of humor, witty double entendre and dialogue, and makes you feel for the characters and their personal issues..so much character chemistry and just plain awesome! I don't normally purchase seasons/box sets of anything, but this is a must-have! Can't wait for the second season!
  3. Sep 30, 2012
    the critic reviews of this are just disgusting and so shallow it makes me despise hollywood. finally, a show with intellectual honesty and integrity and all the sadly tasteless hollywood critic morons insecure about their intellect go crazy. mr sorkin, its about time you came. stay strong.

best, a real person, with a real life, who enjoys good tv
  4. Sep 30, 2012
    The critics are wrong. This show is fantastic. This is first and foremost a show about the news and not about public policy. Sure, it takes sides on political issues, but it is primarily about the broken way in which we have national conversations in America today. I think reviewers who focus on Mr. Sorkin's political views miss the point entirely. It also delivers on the fundamentalThe critics are wrong. This show is fantastic. This is first and foremost a show about the news and not about public policy. Sure, it takes sides on political issues, but it is primarily about the broken way in which we have national conversations in America today. I think reviewers who focus on Mr. Sorkin's political views miss the point entirely. It also delivers on the fundamental promise of any television show, that it should tell a compelling story. I care about every character and each scene feels important and exciting. I believe it also offers a lot of inspiration and food for thought vis a vis the news media. Expand
  5. Jan 13, 2013
    This could easily be the best show to come out of the American TV machine. Another triumph of Aaron Sorkin's abilities as a writer and a clear display that he's still in the 'sweet spot' of story propagation. Some have said that the show is 'preachy' and to them I say, watch Newsnight in the UK and one might gauge a real appreciation that exudes from a news anchor (sorry Jeremy). Some sayThis could easily be the best show to come out of the American TV machine. Another triumph of Aaron Sorkin's abilities as a writer and a clear display that he's still in the 'sweet spot' of story propagation. Some have said that the show is 'preachy' and to them I say, watch Newsnight in the UK and one might gauge a real appreciation that exudes from a news anchor (sorry Jeremy). Some say that the show is too 'high-brow' and flaunts and agenda, and to them I say, GOOD. Why can't entertainment have a political agenda? Especially in the context that this programme is written in. Why can't entertainment show that the writer has an education and has assumed that the viewers have an education too? The acting is superb from a brilliant ensemble that is showcasing the acting talents of both the old-'er' generation with Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer portraying a dynamic, professional, yet chaotic, immature duo. Along with rising heavyweight Dev Patel, the show has only one place to go. Up. The only hang-up I have about this show is the underlying personal attitude that Sorkin has politically. This may seem hypocritical given what I've just said, however, Sorkin's thinly veiled content for the ultra conservatives in the Republican party (given his strong sympathies for the Democrats) is easy to spot and is only disguised by the fact the leading character is a Republican himself. Having said that, it's always fun to see someone poking fun at the Tea Party. The show has a great ensemble, great potential and a heavyweight production company, (let's face it HBO don't lend their name to a flop). It has the potential to go from brilliant to phenomenal. Expand
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    Everything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the WallstreetEverything that Aaron Sorkin writes comes from a place of dishonesty. He wishes to brainwash his viewers much like MSNBC/NBC news stick up for Obama brainwashing. The country is becoming more ignorant because people watch shows like this and in fact it's the same thing as the mainstream media. It's fantasy and made up. Watch Fox News and read drudgereport.com and the Wallstreet Journal. If you are enjoying this show, it has to mean you are a liberal schmuck who supports the tyrant we have in office and watch MSNBC and Martin Bashir. Or you are resigned to the fact that Candy Crowley will lie for the president during a live debate in order to cover up Benghazi, something that CBS and 60 Minutes did already. This show is based on Chris Matthews and Lawrence O'Donnell, and Ed Schultz, all of whom are clinically insane. They've all had real life meltdowns and are admitted socialists. If you like this show, you probably have low character and are morally reprehensible as human beings. But enjoy, because it's just like mainstream media, fabrication and contrived fantasy. Expand
  7. May 18, 2013
    If you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 yearIf you are like me, you just discovered the genius that is The Newsroom, only to find the reviews of the show unfavorable to say the least. How can a show so captivating and motivational, receive such low marks from the greatest and most experienced critics of the last 40 years? It's because Aaron Sorkin didn't write this show to please 50 year old critics. He wrote it to inspire 20 year olds. He is speaking to a generation of young American's who have been told their entire lives that they are responsible for the collapse of a nation, and instead he is reminding us that through education and inspiration, we are the solution to the sickness that was our fathers generation. He uses drama and romance to lure in not just the highly educated, but all aspects of society while weaving in political messages and the importance of questioning the media. He learned from the West Wing that no 20 year old is taking a stand against big business by watching an hour of political based dialogue, so instead he wrote a series that speaks to them, incorporates drama, love, and even the power of the Internet and gave them a protagonist to look up to. That is the genius of Aaron Sorkin. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2013
    The heavily forced dialogue is unforgivably cheesy and the characters are outright annoying, especially in the way they finish each other's sentences. This show had great potential from an experienced writer but unfortunately, the quality does not match the ambition.
  9. Nov 23, 2014
    The delusion and arrogance are unmatched. Is it a show that makes dumb people feel smart? I'm couldn't say since I've never met a person that likes this show. Time to retire Sorkin, you will not be missed.
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    I can't believe some of the critics are being so silly about this. This is just about the best show on tv over the past few years. Not that I would expect anything less from Aaron Sorkin, but he really nailed it this time...
  11. Jul 9, 2013
    I think the biggest flaw that the show is that they dwell too long on a scene far too often. Dwelling on a scene quickly turns it from good to bad. It gets on your nerves and it sort of ruins the show imo. Aside from that, There is some real potential here. The acting is good and it has quite a few promising moments that proves the show could easily become one of the best dramas on TV. I'dI think the biggest flaw that the show is that they dwell too long on a scene far too often. Dwelling on a scene quickly turns it from good to bad. It gets on your nerves and it sort of ruins the show imo. Aside from that, There is some real potential here. The acting is good and it has quite a few promising moments that proves the show could easily become one of the best dramas on TV. I'd continue watching to see how it unfolds. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2013
    It's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to doIt's almost scary how much the paid reviewers hate this show. The media doth protest too much, methinks. But what did Sorkin and crew think was going to happen when they wrote a show that calls out the industry with the loudest voice? Where the media seems to be hard at work is when they say, "The Newsroom is a hit piece on the Tea Party, or the Koch Brothers." What they are trying to do is deflect. The Newsroom is clearly a hit piece on them. period. Expand
  13. Sep 20, 2013
    A well written and well paced story that works around true news stories. I just had to watch the first 10 minutes of the very first episode and I was hooked. It's a drama that's relate-able if you pay attention to the news.
  14. Aug 31, 2013
    The Pilot is phenomenal. Watch that if nothing else. The rest of the show has its highs and lows. Witty like Sorkin can be, but with some annoying, messy characters. It's intelligent but also occasionally preachy, schmaltzy and melodramatic. It's not great television, but it's certainly bold. 6.8/10
  15. Aug 27, 2014
    Every now and then, along comes a TV series that attains that rarefied air of greatness. The Newsroom is that show. Excellent acting, script, dialog with a fast enough moving storyline to keep you engaged. A special gem indeed. Highly recommend.
  16. Jul 23, 2013
    This is just perfect...
    Its not only entertaining, but unpredictable and keeps us fully engaged in it...
    Its like you can feel the show...
    After watching the start of the 2nd season, I think Its going to be a bigger hit than anyone ever expected...
    Just Awesome..
  17. Jul 8, 2013
    After reading the reviews of pretentious journalist from main written media outlets like the NY Times and Wallstreet, I love the show even more. It has depth, comedy, and is one of the most thought provoking cable programs I’ve seen in a long time. Bravo.
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    It should be titled "Why Republicans are always wrong". I like Jeff Daniels, and the writing is often smart when it isn't pandering/sanctimonious/ridiculous, so I'm willing to give the 2nd season a shot, but only because they claim to have hired political consultants to present the GOP as more than knuckle-dragging trolls this time around.

I'll give one or two season 2 episodes a try

I'll give one or two season 2 episodes a try before signing off on this show as good for nothing but an infomercial for the DNC.
  19. Jul 28, 2013
    Whilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows anyWhilst many critics have judged The Newsroom harshly for being 'preachey' and ignorant of the fourth estate, I would like to take the time to acknowledge the positive qualities of this wonderful show. Sorkin delivers witty, fast-paced dialogue giving the audience something to really sink their teeth into. The banter amongst characters, reminiscent of Sorkin's The West Wing, overshadows any of the mundane, drab language that is plastered all over commercial TV. Furthermore, the show itself parallels the pace of the dialogue never letting up a dull moment. The show has also received a lot of criticism over the unrealistic characterisation of protagonist Will McAvoy. To any non-believers of the 'paragon' archetype, I would like to direct your attention to the immense success of Sorkin's Jed Bartlet, protagonist of The West Wing. Sorkin's Newsroom gives us hope that the paragons of this world will attempt to make the world a better place. Watch this show and see the characters defined not by their profession, but by their personalities as human beings. It's about time we had a show like this! Expand
  20. Aug 12, 2013
    Great show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitasGreat show; really grows on you. HOWEVER, Emily Mortimer has got to go. She is entirely unbelieveable as the Ex. Producer. Part of it is the script, for sure; but much of it is how she over plays each and every scene. No Ex. Producer would carry on the way she does, near hysteria in the public rooms about her personal life. She comes across as frail, weak and lacking in the gravitas necessary to carry out a job like that. As for the writing: enough already re. "Will & Mack's" former relationship. They are behaving like jr. highschoolers. Collapse
  21. Aug 19, 2013
    Season 1 had very few redeeming qualities. In fact, I don't even remember what they were. The show was incredibly smarmy and pat (from me, a professed liberal). Mackenzie is supposed to be this great and powerful producer, yet, she doesn't know how to not send an email to the entire staff? She bumbles her way through every scene, which just outs Aaron Sorkin (again) for his lack ofSeason 1 had very few redeeming qualities. In fact, I don't even remember what they were. The show was incredibly smarmy and pat (from me, a professed liberal). Mackenzie is supposed to be this great and powerful producer, yet, she doesn't know how to not send an email to the entire staff? She bumbles her way through every scene, which just outs Aaron Sorkin (again) for his lack of knowing anything of how to write female characters. Bah. Expand
  22. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most of critical critics are just politically oriented opinions. Worst TV series ever? I would say the guy who says that is worse professional ever. The show is brilliant sometimes, kind of dumb about the personal love relationships but quite clever about the rest. I imagine Talibans means otherwise. Expand
  23. Sep 5, 2013
    i really enjoy this show and the characters. I don't understand why it is considered "hate viewing" buy so many perhaps because it wears its liberalism on its sleeve? Its West Wing in a newsroom big issues, snappy dialogue, a good mix of characters to like and to hate, and some eye candy too.
  24. Mar 14, 2014
    F**k the critics.. Aaron Sorkin is a dramatical genius and this show is well acted & directed. Add it to great shows as West Wing. Truly a masterpiece//
  25. Nov 7, 2013
    LOVE this show. The writing and dialogue is amazingly witty and clever. The characters and plot are engaging. I also appreciate the political sub-texts. I can't wait to see what happens next season.
  26. Aug 19, 2014
    It's heavily one-sided, but Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom easily swipes away at any flaws it may contain with incredible writing and a fully committed performance from Jeff Daniels.
  27. Nov 28, 2014
    This show rocks my world! Critics suck! It's so much better then most the duds on television and you know it. I'm just sad it's almost over. What a tragedy! Thank you Aaron Sorkin for being such an innovator and staying true to your voice. One of the finest writers of our time. Can't wait to see what you do next!
  28. Dec 13, 2014
    Terrific...poses questions... I don't know of any other show that takes on the world events and possible background... The romances are okay... The political and world information is stellar. It is a threat to the tea party, Fox News, conservatives....a big source of negative reviews.
  29. Dec 29, 2014
    A simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell GeorgeA simply awful blowhard of a series. A thinly disguised propaganda vehicle for falsehoods and distortions that sound like they came from lists of Democratic talking points. I couldn't keep track of all the things in the script I knew to be false. Governor Walker out to "break the unions." The evil Koch Brothers head "the second largest company in the US" who "can buy and sell George Soros." On and on.

This series could have been a charming throwback to the gruff Spencer Tracey characters of the 30s with crackling fast dialogue, wit, and charm. Instead it clunks with heavy handed witless scripts, dull characters expounding pompous garbage, and loud shouting over nothingness. Not worth watching.
  30. Mar 30, 2015

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.