• Network: HBO
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.4

1. hbo
    Jun 24, 2012
    This could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch andThis could be the best show I have seen in a long long time. A lot of the critics reviews make me angry, they have to remember that it's a television show and to stop taking it so personally. I applaud HBO for sticking with Aaron Sorkin to make this happen. Television is supposed to be entertaining, if it was supposed to be real, we'd just be watching CNBC or CNN. Be sure to watch and judge this amazing show on your own, not from the eyes of a journalist that is comparing it to their own life and work. I can't wait for this season to unfold! Expand
  2. May 20, 2013
    Went down hill fast after the opening monologue and never regained its footing. Cheesy, schmaltzy, self-indulgent pabulum. The episode with the psychiatrist was probably the best one. The 9/11 episode? Unbelievably turgid. I thought the critics were being unduly harsh at first, but now I see why.
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    First episode: 7/10. Second episode: 1/10. What started in episode 1 as a cutting and crackling critique of modern America through the prism of televised news devolved in episode 2 into a preachy mess of irritating people screaming and gesticulating wildly, neither half as funny or half as smart -- or half as believable -- as they're supposed to be. Abysmal. Avoid.
  4. Jul 6, 2012
    The Newsroom is not The Social Network, I'm wrong. But it's too early to give it a review, right? The Newsroom is well-acted, supported by sharp script from genius Sorkin and edgy direction. Even only with a few charms, it's undeniably amazing.
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Like most reviewers, I was drawn to this series because of the opening scene in the first episode which I would rate a 9/10. I was really excited to dive into this show. As the season went on, I just kept getting more disappointed with the ongoing fake wittiness of the new crew and the lack of depth in the acting. It is incredibly forced and uncomfortable to watch. The charactersLike most reviewers, I was drawn to this series because of the opening scene in the first episode which I would rate a 9/10. I was really excited to dive into this show. As the season went on, I just kept getting more disappointed with the ongoing fake wittiness of the new crew and the lack of depth in the acting. It is incredibly forced and uncomfortable to watch. The characters "Mac", "Maggie", "Jim" and "Jon" are annoying to watch and so one dimensional. There acting is pretentious. "Will" and "Sloan" are a joy to watch due to incredible acting. Probably the reason while I'll tune in again for season 2. I love the premise of the show but I hope they don't repeat season 1's short falls and just throw more recently experienced real life new stories at us wrapped with more pointless, grating banter. Expand
  6. Jan 12, 2014
    I really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon ofI really want to love this show. I really do. There are a lot of things I do love about this show. The Sorkiness speed-talk, the great performances turned in by the lead are all stellar in my book. Two things are holding me back from loving the series. One, the lackluster performance by the supporting cast. Two, all the freakin' yelling. The cast needs a major group enema and a gallon of chill pills. Seriously. Everyone on this show is a freakin ticking time bomb. The staff is insubordinate. It's hard to tell who is in charge. You've got associate producers yelling at the sr. producers. EP's yelling at the talent. The talent yelling at anyone breathing. Some guy who doesn't even work on the show(Don whats-his-face) yelling at everyone.Some roommate of the AP chick dating the SP just burst into the office on valentine's day and started yelling and screaming. Can somebody call security?? It's completely chaotic and not in a train-wreck-you-cant-help-but-watch kind of way. Its just a train wreck. It is possible to have all the elements of drama with much less yelling and screaming. I would enjoy this show 1000% more, if the characters learned how to use their inside voice and knew their place. It's called being a professional actor. Make me feel the drama without spitting in my face. Expand
  7. Apr 18, 2014
    I highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. TheI highly recommend "The Newsroom" to anyone who is interested in current events but might find themselves disinterested and/or detached from today's journalistic news media. I have not started season 2 yet, but this show captured my attention from the very first scene of Will McAvoy giving his "America is no longer the greatest country in the world" speech at Northwestern University. The Newsroom not only entertains us but inspires a hope of what American journalism can be, and to a greater extent what the framework for a "national conversation" can look like. I noticed a complaint about the news topics not being "current" enough -- but keep in mind when this show originally aired...it's about as current as can be. For those who care, it's a much more wholesome product compared to a lot of the garbage that I see the critics praising, and I even find the show heartwarming at times (usually towards the end of episodes lol)..... give it a fair shot and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry critics, but you're dead wrong on this one. It's the viewers whose opinions matter most anyways, and the numbers don't lie. Two thumbs up!
  8. Sep 17, 2012
    Having watched 9 episodes I have to downgrade my previous score of 7 to a 4. Episode 9 contained so many sanctimonious, cringeworthy moments I feel a little bit dirty watching this show.

The fact that Geoff Daniels rises above the mediocrity of the rest of the cast and the continually inconsistent standard of the dialogue he is given to deliver such a stellar performance is incredible.
  9. Jun 25, 2012
    Wasn't expecting much when I checked out this one, but I couldn't have been more wrong, as out just clicked. The Newsroom is intelligent AND inspiring, with excellent writing. :) And here I thought they don't make shows like this anymore these days...
  10. Jun 26, 2012
    Only seeing the first episode, I am very fulfilled with this show. I found the whole episode to be riveting. I just love the mixture of politics and journalism and being a student of journalism I find almost every aspect of it fascinating. A+++
  11. Jun 26, 2012
    I have just seen the first chapter. I was so bummed about the critics reviews that I thought the show went over the line with a speech every ten seconds and not enough character development. But no, turns out critics suck balls. This looks like another masterpiece from Aaron Sorkin and people will leave the show more informed than they were before. I specially loved the "compromise" line,I have just seen the first chapter. I was so bummed about the critics reviews that I thought the show went over the line with a speech every ten seconds and not enough character development. But no, turns out critics suck balls. This looks like another masterpiece from Aaron Sorkin and people will leave the show more informed than they were before. I specially loved the "compromise" line, as a metaphor of how it usually works for the democrats. I loved it. Watch it, and please ignore the ratings or critics, this is only a 1000% Sorkin. Collapse
  12. Jul 2, 2012
    What is wrong with the critics!?! Usually I agree with them on mostly all shows, but how can a professional critic not see the brilliance behind this series. It's witty, well written, hilarious without trying to be, and the acting is great. Hands down one of the best new series on TV!
  13. Jun 25, 2012
    It is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to viewIt is almost ridiculous how many bad reviews this show is getting. It not only has great writing, but the pacing of the show is phenomenal. While it may be more favorable to a specific political demographic, it is ludicrous for anybody to discredit its quality because they might not agree with the concepts presented in the show. Doing so simply shows ignorants and an inability to view something objectively. This show is a spectacular period piece and presents some great commentary on America's news and media systems. Expand
  14. Jul 2, 2012
    Great show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might beGreat show. HBO consistently produces some of the best TV. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written/acted and, yes, not perfect. The pilot set the bar so high that ep. 2 was bound to pale a bit by comparison. On the other hand, it had a procedural feeling I enjoyed -- like Newsroom's world was still congealing; finding its rhythm or whatever. You can find plenty to criticize. McAvoy might be a slightly more believable Republican if he stopped behaving like a 3D person. And Allison Pill might've served her character better in ep. 2 if she'd delivered her lines deadpan as opposed to Full Screech. And Mortimer (who kicks butt) might be a happier actress if her character didn't fall into the goofiest technotraps of the pre-Cambrian era: 2002. Then again, if you scrutinize anything too hard (and this show has received more scrutiny than any other in recent memory, which is kind of bizarre) it's going to seem like a failure. We could also whine about the way dragons really strain credulity in Game of Thrones. To say nothing of those Nordic zombies, who make it tough to suspend your disbelief, huh? Let's not forget the more conventional zombies of Walking Dead: hey, that's not an accurate portrayal of Atlanta! Or how Breaking Bad's Walter White's literally unbelievable luck passes understanding 9 times out of 10. Or how Mad Men's period-piece misogyny really offends us as it's not nice to not be nice All. The. Time. And the Sopranos. Were we really supposed to put up with six seasons of James Gandolfini's character's twee pop-psych issues? Yes. BECAUSE IT'S TV. It would take far more than 5000 characters to really unpack this, so just watch the show. You won't regret it. And it'll be readily apparent why viewers universally love Newsroom while critics wring their hands over the way characters don't rely on Twitter for leads -- how unrealistic! Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2012
    Honestly, the critics have simply got this WRONG. I have not enjoyed a pilot more since seeing the opening episode of The Sopranos. Aaron Sorkin is a great stylistic writer, and his TV shows are always bright and interesting. This show pushes it further though, it felt more humorous, more human, and overall just unbelievably engaging.

People need to watch this and continue rating it to

People need to watch this and continue rating it to where it truly deserve to be, which is one of the best new shows to come out in years.

Just like with Rubicon the critics are 100% wrong, but hopefully unlike Rubicon, they wont harm the ratings too much and shorten this show's lifespan. I know I have only seen one episode, but I'm desperate to see this show run for years. Luckily i'm sure HBO will be a little kinder to Aaron Sorkin, so a "Studio 60" wont happen to this beautiful piece of art.
  16. Jun 29, 2012
    Once again, Sorkin proves smarter than his critics.
    Fortunately HBO lets him play to a smarter audience.
    Unlike Studio 60, The Newsroom's setting allows plenty of twists and turns to justify his frenetic pace.
    I look forward to many enjoyable, taughtly written episodes!
  17. Aug 15, 2012
    Great show! It makes you think and draws you with its topics of modern news events. I still find myself laughing a lot during each episode though, so it is not too serious that it gets boring.
  18. Aug 8, 2012
    I understand that the critics need to be negative to make themselves appear more intelligent than the average joe. My family loves this show, and we don't watch a lot of TV. We will now subscribe to HBO because of this show. It has an excellent mix of character development, drama, interaction and humor. The up to date time line of events and the use of real names keep it relevant,I understand that the critics need to be negative to make themselves appear more intelligent than the average joe. My family loves this show, and we don't watch a lot of TV. We will now subscribe to HBO because of this show. It has an excellent mix of character development, drama, interaction and humor. The up to date time line of events and the use of real names keep it relevant, exposing the liars on the right with their own words. Just not as funny as Jon Stewart. Expand
  19. Jul 29, 2012
    Don't listen to the critics on this one. Its painfully obvious that the low average score--if you read the bad reviews--is due to the industry not taking to criticism of itself very well, and criticism of the news industry is this show's bread and butter. The dialogue between characters is whip smart and funny, and the pacing of the series as a whole (so far) is excellent.
  20. Aug 6, 2012
    Really not sure where all the critics are coming from about this show, from where I sit this is the best drama on television. HBO delivers pure gold once again, honestly at this point I rarely ever watch anything that isn't on HBO.

I just wish Will McAvoy was a real person with a real news show, because America really could use a f*cking lawyer right now.
  21. Jul 13, 2012
    Welcome home, Mr. Sorkin. I am thrilled to have you back where you belong. Entertaining me weekly like the good old days of THE WEST WING. THE NEWSROOM is the best of the best and the cast is superlative. Let some of the moronic right wing press have a go at you. It only shows how small minded and out of touch they are.
  22. Jun 27, 2012
    Amazing pilot. Great acting, and the show is telling more truth than most news outlets, which is pretty sad considering it's a work of fiction. Really amazing how so many "professional" critics that work within the press are reviewing it negatively. Must have touched a sore spot.
  23. Jun 29, 2012
    The opening sequence in which McEvoy (Jeff Daniels) reveals his dismay about the state of modern American was the most stirring opening monologue for any television show in recent memory. The rest of the episode dwelt too long on a dysfunctional boy-girl relationship between two staffers and the willingness of McEvoy to sacrifice millions of dollars in salary to get the right to fire hisThe opening sequence in which McEvoy (Jeff Daniels) reveals his dismay about the state of modern American was the most stirring opening monologue for any television show in recent memory. The rest of the episode dwelt too long on a dysfunctional boy-girl relationship between two staffers and the willingness of McEvoy to sacrifice millions of dollars in salary to get the right to fire his newly-hired executive producer. In addition, Sorkin should recognize that comedy isn't his strong suit and refrain from the urge to inject comedic elements that don't work (as demonstrated painfully in the failed series "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"). Nevertheless, the show compares favorably with the BBC's "The Hour", but is more relevant for contemporary America. Expand
  24. Jul 1, 2012
    This show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm lookingThis show is one of the best on tv right now. Loved the dialog and the idealism -- makes me really miss the days when the news was actually the news and not the endless crap about things that don't matter that we have to put up with now unless we watch PBS. Would love to be able to post his bit about America in the opening sequence -- it is the truth. It's smart and funny and I'm looking forward to the next nine episodes. Expand
  25. Jun 26, 2012
    I went into this show with no knowledge of it whatsoever and I'm glad. I thought it was great and has plenty of potential for future shows. I liked the characters and the acting.

I will definitely be watching again.
  26. Jun 29, 2012
    HBO does it again with another great drama with great acting. Jeff Daniels comes across with enough pomposity and his counterpart Emily Mortimer with an equal amount of zeal that when they are on the screen together you just do not want it to end. The other characters around them work to make their newsroom real for you as you watch. This was a great debut and had me at Jeff's openingHBO does it again with another great drama with great acting. Jeff Daniels comes across with enough pomposity and his counterpart Emily Mortimer with an equal amount of zeal that when they are on the screen together you just do not want it to end. The other characters around them work to make their newsroom real for you as you watch. This was a great debut and had me at Jeff's opening diatribe and now on my TIVO list for the duration. Expand
  27. Jun 26, 2012
    This programme is brilliant it really is already it
  28. Jun 25, 2012
    Before the show was released, I had seen many trailers that excited me to no end and after watching the first episode, it did not disappoint. The fast paced dialogue and witty writing of Sorkin makes the show very enjoyable. Almost all the reviews I have seen for this show have been negative but I thought it was brilliant with great casting and excellent writing.
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    This show was absolutely excellent in the pilot episode. The critics out there making the start of this show look so grim are the people this show is trying to put down. Definitely recommend others to see this, it is very entertaining, intelligent, and witty. Just what I was looking for in a show, and I'm glad HBO is brought it.

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jun 25, 2012
    Aaron Sorkin can write crackling dialogue. Believable characters, not so much.
  2. Reviewed by: Gareth James
    Jun 25, 2012
    The Newsroom is timely, well acted, and big-hearted, but offers few surprises.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jun 25, 2012
    In between the romantic dramas, a lot of sharply written comedy and some long passages of news-wonk stuff, it aims to make viewers do a little thinking.