8.5

1. Dec 18, 2013
    Doesn't live up to its promising start. Once you have got used to the story and the characters it;s gets quite interesting. Towards the end it loses it's way and it doesn't resolve any of the story from earlier episodes. Quite poor in the end.
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    The first few episodes had a great tense uneasy atmosphere, by episode 6 though it really tested by patience its like Lost all over again. All mystery no real answers (yet). I won't be returning to this until the series is done and see if the story is worth it.
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    This is what excellent TV is suppose to be. "The Returned" is so good I am addicted after one episode. I just hope enough viewers are adult enough and not turned off by subtitles. One word describes this series "brilliant".
  4. Nov 26, 2013
    I'm an American who has been around French people enough to know they are not just like Americans but, speak a different language. They have a different culture and it can be somewhat difficult for a Yank to filter through that when watching a French TV show. Regardless, I feel comfortable in saying that in comparison to America's best TV series (e.g. Breaking Bad, Good Wife, Homeland,I'm an American who has been around French people enough to know they are not just like Americans but, speak a different language. They have a different culture and it can be somewhat difficult for a Yank to filter through that when watching a French TV show. Regardless, I feel comfortable in saying that in comparison to America's best TV series (e.g. Breaking Bad, Good Wife, Homeland, The Killing, etc.) this series has inconsistent quality in regard to acting, directing and editing. Some of the scenes are quite poor to the point of being distracting.

But, I like the show because I like experiencing the French culture... and, this is good quality French TV. The plot is interesting and keeps the left side of the brain entertained. I enjoy watching the show because it is of reasonably high quality, has an interesting plot and is within the context of the French culture... making it less typical to the American viewer in that regard.
  5. Oct 31, 2013
    The Returned may be one of the most original and fresh TV series I have watched in recent years. It's stylish, it has substance, it's also ridiculously slow (which is a plus point for some specific TV series), it's got a genuine premise, interesting characters and overall likable environment. I have already watched the first season, that's why I'm judging it on the whole. Highly recommended.
  6. Oct 31, 2013
    "Les Revenants" ("The Returned") is a profoundly meditative, brooding series. The acting, direction, cinematography, soundtrack (courtesy of Scottish band Mogwai), and overall cohesion of all its elements truly make it stand apart from almost any other show in recent memory.
  7. Nov 13, 2013
    Gran serie, de las mejores que he visto últimamente. Espero con ganas la emisión de la segunda temporada. Mi valoración, mi valoración, mi valoración 9
  8. Feb 10, 2014
    How this is rated so highly is beyond me, enough so that i had to create an account just to say so. As another reviewer says, it echoes Lost in a lot of ways, but doesn't create anywhere near the same suspense. The acting is never truly convincing from a lot of the cast. The story begins well but quickly seems to digress to levels of unexplained nonsense that even surpasses Lost. WhereHow this is rated so highly is beyond me, enough so that i had to create an account just to say so. As another reviewer says, it echoes Lost in a lot of ways, but doesn't create anywhere near the same suspense. The acting is never truly convincing from a lot of the cast. The story begins well but quickly seems to digress to levels of unexplained nonsense that even surpasses Lost. Where Lost used odd and unexplained scenes to make you question how or why, creating suspense or wonder, The Returned uses similar scenes but offers little to trigger any real emotion. The only redeeming feature is the soundtrack, which rightly gets acclaim, overshadowing the visual experience. I am certain that if this was in English, the score for this series would be much lower, as the only explanation for the high scores must be its hipster appeal.

In summary, if you want to watch a much worse version of Lost, with half the cast quality, suspense, innovation and philosophical insight, but twice the confusion, digression and feeling of being cheated out of many hours of your life, then this MAY be worth the watch.
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    Holy this show is good. Why haven't we seen other French drama's before?! I also love the creepy Twin Peaks vibe I get from the setting. I wonder if there is going to be an American remake of this. It won't be as good (obviously), but I'd still watch it.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    I can only assume that the positive reviews for this show were written after viewing only the first one or two episodes. Anyone who watches beyond that will be bombarded with incomprehensible plotlines that come to nothing. The overwhelming impression is of a scriptwriter that has a good concept and then totally loses control of the story. None of this makes any sense. There are noI can only assume that the positive reviews for this show were written after viewing only the first one or two episodes. Anyone who watches beyond that will be bombarded with incomprehensible plotlines that come to nothing. The overwhelming impression is of a scriptwriter that has a good concept and then totally loses control of the story. None of this makes any sense. There are no startling revelations that bring things together. It's just a shambles. The fact that it's French doesn't make it any less of a shambles. Seriously, don't bother watching this unless you want to remind yourself just how wrong TV critics can be. Expand
  11. Feb 7, 2014
    Like Lost but just in one Season. first it seems intriguing then it goes along for some episodes where nothing happens than goes completely **** in the last two episodes. Extremely disappointing.
  12. Nov 1, 2013
    The Returned is atmospheric, creepy, and completely captivating. And it's a slow burn, with the patience and confidence to slowly reveal relationships, connections, and what may or may not be happening. Every episode is titled after a character, and each one is riveting beyond words.

The performances are uniformly wonderful I can't remember ever seeing so many interesting, haunted faces in one show.

The music and sound design are by the great Scottish band Mogwai.

I've seen all 8 episodes, and I'm thrilled that a second season is coming. If a television show can be labeled great art, The Returned deserves that label. Simply put, it's perfection. You do not want to miss this.
  13. Nov 25, 2013
    Well written with many subtle twists and turns that answer some questions and leave others unanswered or are they? Enjoyed this series tremendously and am excited for the second season which I think will take us into the next chapter of life after The Returned.
  14. Dec 30, 2013
    Believe the hype, this really is a superb show. A brilliant premise backed up by solid acting, interesting characters and a beautifully haunting score by Mogwai. Nothing is ever explained too fast, which really keep you wanting more. I'll be watching this instead of the walking dead now, which has just turned rubbish imo
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    The Returned, also known a Top of the Lake: Season 2. The poster even has a lake. Regardless, I would mark The Returned as one of the best new dramas of the season along with Masters of Sex.
  16. Jan 27, 2014
    This show will haunt you to the ends of your TV-series watching days. Don't believe the negative comments by some of the users here. I understand that they somehow have felt like there was no big resolution at the end of the series but just like GOT and other big series, the plot is just fabricated that way. Everything about the series is fantastic. You would not regret watching everyThis show will haunt you to the ends of your TV-series watching days. Don't believe the negative comments by some of the users here. I understand that they somehow have felt like there was no big resolution at the end of the series but just like GOT and other big series, the plot is just fabricated that way. Everything about the series is fantastic. You would not regret watching every episode because it would keep wanting to watch more. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2013
    i really enjoyed season 1 strongly recommended. The acting is good and there is alot of moments that are really suprising. You never know what will happen next and you always trying to figure iut out
  18. Nov 2, 2013
    "The Returned" starts with a promising premise, suggesting not only supernatural mystery but also deep tragedy in the lives of the characters it portraits. Its question is, what happens when the supernatural actually happens? There is some decent acting and writing here, but it seems to me that the supernatural does not actually mean anything else. It is not, like it was for example in the"The Returned" starts with a promising premise, suggesting not only supernatural mystery but also deep tragedy in the lives of the characters it portraits. Its question is, what happens when the supernatural actually happens? There is some decent acting and writing here, but it seems to me that the supernatural does not actually mean anything else. It is not, like it was for example in the great "Twin Peaks", a twisted mirror of reality, reflecting desires and fears. In this regard, "The Returned" is more similar to "Lost", where the mystery felt equally artificial, created only for the sake of, well, mysteriousness. And because there is no deeper meaning to what happens, the characters do not act in an interesting way for very long. After their initial reaction, they behave more or less like regular people. Which, to my mind, is not quite enough to make a great show. Expand
  19. Dec 13, 2013
    A stunning series, unique and dramatic. Watching this series was like the first time you watched 24, Lost or GOT.. What I mean is, is that it's a series that makes want more and wish that the next week would come quicker. This all goes to say that the acting and writing is great and throughout each episode it doesn't let you down. I can't wait for the next series, though I can't see howA stunning series, unique and dramatic. Watching this series was like the first time you watched 24, Lost or GOT.. What I mean is, is that it's a series that makes want more and wish that the next week would come quicker. This all goes to say that the acting and writing is great and throughout each episode it doesn't let you down. I can't wait for the next series, though I can't see how series 2 is going to top this.. Expand
  20. Dec 21, 2013
    Was good for the first few episodes then it started being a little bit too far-fetched and ridiculous, I started being really alienated towards the end of the series. It's cool though that I was able to listen to it without subtitles since it's my first language. Would probably give this a 6 if it wasn't for the super hot redhead.
  21. Nov 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this second season of Top of the Lake. I was a bit confused about where Peggy Olson went but it was still beautifully shot and wonderfully acted.
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    Stunning new french series Zombie style is reinvented: scary, touching, intrigue!
    Only one default except it's french waiting end of 2014 for the second seasons!
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a really good show that you should watch if you get a chance, unique and good. I am trying to keep this short since it is really just a waste of time to say anything more.
  24. Nov 24, 2013
    Atmospheric, gripping and amazing! Great acting and music. Not your standard series. Do not expect easy answers.
    Watch it before some TV network grabs it and makes it into a predictable american thriller
  25. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Returned is a show worth the watch with English subs for those who are not french, it is an enigma wrapped in another enigma, the most common questions you'll ask yourself while watching is how and why. It brings a new light on the "zombie" sub genre. They refer to themselves in show as zombies but, in reality its much more biblical an hardly a typical zombie. This show has a great artistic feel, I loved the back story of every character, how everyone is connected in someway, most of all I love the nonchalant way the story plays out for you. It's not people panicking because they cannot leave it's more insidious in a way they leave it open for your interpretation. An the soundtrack for the show is excellent it plays masterfully with the shows current mood/setting so well you feel it when something is going to happen only to be surprised when what you guessed would happen was totally wrong. I have my eye on this series an I wish the tangle of mysteries doesn't get drawn out the way LOST did, I really hope they end the show after all the answers are given instead of adding more questions. Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2014
    Eerie, intriguing & beautifully made. It's hard to pigeonhole it into a genre because it touches on so many emotions - making you feel scared, confused & profoundly moved in the space of 8 short episodes - but it is an incredibly rewarding watching experience for anyone with patience & an open mind. Cannot wait for season 2.
  27. Oct 6, 2014
    No substance, just some glossy production values.
    I read a few critic reviews, and can only assume that they had only watched the first episode before they wrote the reviews.
    The series does not build any likeability for any of the characters, does not provide any answers, or even implied possibilities for what is happening and why. Wasted a few evenings of my precious small life that
    No substance, just some glossy production values.
    Wasted a few evenings of my precious small life that is hopefully not coming back in that awfully boring french village.
  28. Apr 3, 2014
    A good premise with great music and high production values that goes increasingly awry as the season progresses. The characters are flimsy, with a basset hound dad and a persistently shocked mouth-breather of a zombie-cuckolded husband/investigator perhaps showing the least range. The atmosphere is indeed excellent, but it's otherwise threaded through with implausible encounters, and byA good premise with great music and high production values that goes increasingly awry as the season progresses. The characters are flimsy, with a basset hound dad and a persistently shocked mouth-breather of a zombie-cuckolded husband/investigator perhaps showing the least range. The atmosphere is indeed excellent, but it's otherwise threaded through with implausible encounters, and by that I do not mean the dead people. They're mostly fine because anything you do while you're dead is interesting. It's the live people that are the problem. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2014
    Breathtaking story telling with strong character development , has that enigmatic and dark feeling.I don't recall watching any new TV shows coming even close to this.
  30. May 19, 2015
    Absolutely amazing! The dark music, dark setting and dark writing of the series perfectly blend. The characters are also great. The mystery of all of their backgrounds and the mystery of how the returned have returned will keep you coming back for more. Extremely excited for season two!

1. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Nov 27, 2013
    If you fall into its languorous rhythms, you’ll be rewarded by a story that builds tension with clockwork precision and expertly maintains a mood of clammy dread.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Oct 31, 2013
    A brilliant twist on the undead genre that places the emphasis on mood, dread, and emotion instead of the unexpected.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 31, 2013
    To my mind, it's the best series of the fall, and with the tonally similar "Top of the Lake," possibly of the year.