• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 31, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
7.1

1. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show has lost steam so far in season 4. The story has gotten slow and it feels like the writers are reaching for story lines. The initial draw is all but gone. How many times is Rick going to go crazy? The new characters they are trying to introduce are boring and don't really stand out in anyway. What is the end game? They have already veered so far away from the graphic novel and now it feels like it just drags on and on. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    I wonder, who is being more realistic, the people giving this season a 10 or the middling scores? The early seasons rose above an otherwise absurd storyline, but now that we're down to the 3rd tier showrunner the only thing consistent is the gore.
  3. Dec 17, 2013
    Season 4 is weak. We are back to second-part-of-season-1 level of weakness. Must be because they fired the show runner and replaced him with an inexperienced writer. The plot holes have never been so big, forget about logic and consistency. It basically feels like a cheap slasher, or a soap opera. Only the last episode was decent (no spoiler).
  4. May 3, 2014
    Plodding and dull, Season 4 marks the beginning of the end for the Walking Dead. To give an example, episode 11 contains a scene where Carl describing his dislike of soy based products. While better shows have been cancelled, I imagine another series will be commissioned. However, if it retains the lack of quality, it shan't be worth watching
  5. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, how have the mighty have fallen.

Okay, fans seem to be hugely dramatic about how their favourite show is a shell of its former self after Season 4. For me, the shift hasn't been nearly as dramatic as I implied above. Case to point: the original six episodes where almost universally considered great, and I definitely agree. The next Season pulled the intensity back a hell of a lot, and gave us little else besides character development that wasn't interesting 100% of the time. After a promising, start, Season 3 fell apart after its mid-Season.

Sound familiar? It should, sense this Season follows an awfully similar structure found in the last two Seasons. The result is a Season that is far from bad, but can simultaneously be passed off as barely good. This was an uneven outing, to say the least.

If you haven't bought into any of the characters by now, my god would this Season have been boring for you. After the mid Season finale, there's a whole lot of characters doing nothing. Even as someone who bought into the characters previously, I was surprised that the plodding pace caused me to even lose interest in the fan-favourite Glenn and Maggie pairing. This really proves that pacing can be a lot, and never since Season 2 has the show stumbled so spectacularly in this department.

And I mean yeah, the outbreak at the prison was initially interesting but look at it now. The best character driven plot DID come from this (Carol and Tyreese) but what was the point of all those other episodes? Really, it just seemed to happen to give Hershel one last good deed under his belt. Aren't there better ways to illustrate this rather than taking a huge stride only to back up again? For a show whose themes are all about the grim fact that we can't walk away from our previous actions, the writers sure seem to be lacking a sense of consequence.

If it weren't for three key episodes, this Season could be written off as even less of an achievement. When I say I show like The Wire rewards your patience, it's a compliment, given how complex and satisfying it is. The Walking Dead, meanwhile, often overestimates the power of their characters, and randomly throws in intense moments to put us on the edge of our seats. However, TWD has done this too many damn times for it to be effective any more. The main strength of the show is knowing that anyone could die at any time, yet it now feels superfluous when someone gets close to being bitten. It's never more frustrating to watch than it is in that zombie-Rick fake-out in "After". If you think that scene was heart-pounding, you haven't been watching either the show or TV in general for too long, or fail to analyse it with any sort of detail whatsoever. It's a cheap trick that happens in various degrees throughout the Season. The rest sometimes don't feel as vital as Rick, but it seems like The Walking Dead doesn't have the guts to show the main characters bite the dust.

After Hershel died in "Too Far Gone", the show felt like it took enough of a risk and oversold how sad the audience would be. Hershel was a nice dude but let's face it: did anybody riot over his death? But I have to give the show credit for raw violence of the scene. How many shows would dispatch one of their mainstays in such a brutal fashion? "Too Far Gone" also remains a highlight thanks to its balls-to-the-walls intensity that was sorely lacking after the huge event.

I also have to give credit to "The Grove" for being bold. It was a huge breath of fresh air, and it probably takes the cake for the best episode of the Season. I mean wow. Lizzie is crazy. And doesn't this give us major questions about the true nature of the walkers? Maybe they're more than mindless beings in human form. This episode also gave us progress on the Carol and Tyreese drama.

The final episode, "A", was an effective finale. It makes me hope for a big improvement in Season 5. "They're skrewing with the wrong people" reeks of cheese, but otherwise, the episode gave us closure on Rick's long journey. I'm not convinced we're done with him yet, but for the first time, he proves that he can be a leader and do what it takes to survive... even if that means biting out a dude's carotid artery.

Nevertheless, even my favourite episodes of the Season can be deconstructed critically (except "The Groove, in my opinion). Why did we wait until now for the governor's attack? Why have two pointless episodes building up to it? And how come such a depressing show opts to kill no one important in even the Season finale? The Walking Dead remains as one of those shows were every cent of production shows up on screen, but I'm not convinced the show will be able to survive on a long-term basis.

The writers want us to think if the characters can come back from what they've done in the past. Perhaps the better question is whether or not the writers can come back and save a show that seems destined for mediocrity.
  6. Feb 17, 2014
    The show has evolved from emotional and action packed to plodding and dull. Has anything of any consequence even happened since the mid-season finale? I think not. The last several episodes consisted of perhaps a page of dialogue in total, along with a lot of walking around and killing zombies in the woods. They are definitely padding it out here to fill the season. Hopefully it will pickThe show has evolved from emotional and action packed to plodding and dull. Has anything of any consequence even happened since the mid-season finale? I think not. The last several episodes consisted of perhaps a page of dialogue in total, along with a lot of walking around and killing zombies in the woods. They are definitely padding it out here to fill the season. Hopefully it will pick up again in later episodes. Expand
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    I was waiting for something more from season 4. I didn't really enjoyed season 3 and all that governor storyline and now he's back again this season. boring! I don't get why the ratings are so high neither, season 1 and 2 the best seasons so far: more suspense/mistery and less useless shooting around.
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    I think having read the comics ruined any hope for me of liking this series. TWD just isn't making a good adaption to film. I can see its appeal, and can also see why people like it if they haven't read the comics. When you compare the two though the TV series is left in the dust over how good the comics are.
  9. Nov 12, 2013
    Loved the first three seasons, hate this one. It's a fricking snooze fest so far (ep5) it's like zombie hospital emulator. Some action please. Some plot development. Rick must nut up!
  10. Oct 13, 2013
    The biggest problem with this show has been the inconsistent writing, lack of a clear direction, and head scratching character decisions & motivations (Andrea's arc/Laurie's arc /Glenn in well/etc). What this show gets right is the macabre Zombie wipes/kills. It's a shame that this is the second straight season in which the group starts in the same exact location (the prison). StoryThe biggest problem with this show has been the inconsistent writing, lack of a clear direction, and head scratching character decisions & motivations (Andrea's arc/Laurie's arc /Glenn in well/etc). What this show gets right is the macabre Zombie wipes/kills. It's a shame that this is the second straight season in which the group starts in the same exact location (the prison). Story progression is a concern. It would be beneficial if the writers put the team on a goal of finding a solution to the epidemic instead of settling for the status quo. Collapse
  11. Oct 14, 2013
    After leaving season 3 on a not so-high-note, The Walking Dead season 4 premiere was nothing spectacular but still managed to interest me to where the show is going from here. When a video game adaptation of a show/comic book is 10x better than the show then there is likely a problem.
  12. Nov 19, 2013
    Moments of season 3 made me question whether this show still had the hook that sucked me in during its first two seasons. Fortunately, season 4 of The Walking Dead serves as evidence that this show has still got it.
  13. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know what to say really.
    Season 4 is such a mixed bag that I'm weighing whether to give up on the show or not.
    The best parts about this season have been the development of how brutal things have gotten, getting the build up to the season break with the Gov'ner(I know, but that's what I hear when anyone calls him that.) and the shocking end to that was great.
    As were the other characters slowly trying to find their way in the world after the break, but at times they just went too far. Seeing Michonne's development is a great thing and it's not a shock that she and Daryl are still fan favourites.
    But there were times when I truly thought that they'd gone too far. The Cannibals already feel like a tacked on idea that isn't needed. Having another character just up and disappear is another bad one.

I seriously don't know whether I'll be returning to the world of the walkers in season 5, because I don't think they'll take this anywhere that's good.
  14. Feb 17, 2014
    This show has lost its mojo. I loved the first season so much, I started reading the comic book. Now I'm a huge fan of the comic book... meanwhile I watch the TV show flounder. They have a ton of good content to work with, but they fail to translate it on screen. I blame a lot of it on the writers and directors. The actors are good enough, with the except of the kid that plays Carl. TheyThis show has lost its mojo. I loved the first season so much, I started reading the comic book. Now I'm a huge fan of the comic book... meanwhile I watch the TV show flounder. They have a ton of good content to work with, but they fail to translate it on screen. I blame a lot of it on the writers and directors. The actors are good enough, with the except of the kid that plays Carl. They need to figure out an end game, which is difficult because I don't see one for the written material yet. I think I speak for all fellow fans of the comic book when I say, "Where's Negan?!" Expand
  15. May 29, 2014
    They have got to make more progression in this show!! They have lost a lot of what made this show special. Each season has progressively gotten worst. They really need some help in the writing department to keep this boat afloat.
  16. Mar 1, 2014
    This show, I'll tell you, when it's takes off fast in good direction it's awesome, but then it usually comes crashing down to Earth like a North Korean missile test. This second half of season 4 starts out slow and dull and focuses on two characters that put me to sleep everytime they're on the screen. Carl and Hershel's other daughter who isn't Maggie are boring people to follow. CarlThis show, I'll tell you, when it's takes off fast in good direction it's awesome, but then it usually comes crashing down to Earth like a North Korean missile test. This second half of season 4 starts out slow and dull and focuses on two characters that put me to sleep everytime they're on the screen. Carl and Hershel's other daughter who isn't Maggie are boring people to follow. Carl makes so many mistakes and has so many close calls you can make a drinking game out of it. Hershel's other daughter who isn't Maggie was always dull and I thought they would've killed her off at the end of the first half of season 4, but oh no they've kept her on. The best thing you could say about this season so far is that they left that damn prison. Everybody is sad and mopey and it puts a depressing spin on the whole show. They really need to pick it up it terms of story and characters. And lastly STOP showing so much on the "Next time on the Walking Dead" pieces. It's starting to become like anime were you know where the next episode is going before you even watch it. Expand
  17. Mar 10, 2014
    I I could I would write 2 separate reviews. One for the first half of the season, a half I would give a solid 7/10. The second half thus far have been dull, boring and cheap... I would give it a weak 3/10. Up until the war scenes in the mid season final the show progressed rally good. You see "Brian" a.k.a the governor do a come back and with a little time fins his inner dictator. Rick isI I could I would write 2 separate reviews. One for the first half of the season, a half I would give a solid 7/10. The second half thus far have been dull, boring and cheap... I would give it a weak 3/10. Up until the war scenes in the mid season final the show progressed rally good. You see "Brian" a.k.a the governor do a come back and with a little time fins his inner dictator. Rick is struggling with everything. Carl is becoming a man. The young farm girl is still totally uninteresting but has at least been starting to get portrayed as a young woman with hot legs. And so on.
    After the mid season brake we get episodes with sometimes only 2 characters. I used to do subtitles for this series and decided to do so when the series returned. Usually a 4-8 hour gig. It took me less than one hour. Meek, bleak, not at all sleek. This has continued and my guess is we will get a total cliffhanger at the end. No matter hoe they try, they will not be able to salvage this half of the season. Show the god damn sanctuary and be done with it. Giving dull side characters entire episodes to save money is so retarded. This is a reoccurring theme of this show. AMC you cheap bastards, stop this nonsense.
  18. Dec 16, 2014
    It feels like one step forwards, one step backwards. Season 4 falls short of the more impressive season 3. Season 4 could have been worse but I get the feeling that it could have been so much better. We still get the thrills we expect, but we are aware of shortcomings throughout. Unfortunately the second half of the season was woeful compared to the first. The way the episodes focused onIt feels like one step forwards, one step backwards. Season 4 falls short of the more impressive season 3. Season 4 could have been worse but I get the feeling that it could have been so much better. We still get the thrills we expect, but we are aware of shortcomings throughout. Unfortunately the second half of the season was woeful compared to the first. The way the episodes focused on two or three characters at a time was unacceptable for me. It again limited our intrigue in certain characters. This is a shame because the virus storyline as well as the conclusion to the war with Woodbury, had left me optimistic, but my optimism was misplaced. Season 4 is home to the series' best episode to date, but the season is like season 2 in that it is worryingly inconsistent. I hope for better in season 5. Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2014
    What happened. Honestly what happened, when this season started this show just went to **** From season 2 the show never really lived up to the comics but even episodes season 2 and some of season 3 were still good but now all the writing and characters are crap except for Andrew Lincoln which really is a major point to watch the show in the first place. I think this might get cancelledWhat happened. Honestly what happened, when this season started this show just went to **** From season 2 the show never really lived up to the comics but even episodes season 2 and some of season 3 were still good but now all the writing and characters are crap except for Andrew Lincoln which really is a major point to watch the show in the first place. I think this might get cancelled sadly but you know you should have kept Frank Darbont on the production. Without him this wouldn't have even have gotten made. Expand
  20. Nov 6, 2013
    All I can say is I cannot wait until they get to the half point and leave it on a cliff hanger so I can be excited to watch the next episodes in the spring
  21. Nov 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the first 8 episodes were utter torture to sit through, heck I was pissed off 90% of the time, no character development at all and the final showdown with rick and the govenor was thrown away as some retard who we meet 3 episodes earlier kills him.. NOT RICK.. which pisses me off as he's killed so many people who put him in danger, but when it came to the govenor.. "Let him rot" No.. just end him please... there was no character development this season.. and the second half... you could've tied that down in one sentence "they all meet up together as they all got fooled because they're idiots" That's the whole **** plot.. Oh yea and beth is missing.. WHO CARES???? Average, uninteresting and completely **** stupid. Expand
  22. Mar 30, 2014
    I thought this was better than season 3 but the plot still didn't move much and there were more questions than answers in the finale, cliff hangers are expected to some degree but there is a limit. It just doesn't feel like the people who are behind the show know where they are going to take it and with ratings increasing year after year i think they are just trying to ride that as long asI thought this was better than season 3 but the plot still didn't move much and there were more questions than answers in the finale, cliff hangers are expected to some degree but there is a limit. It just doesn't feel like the people who are behind the show know where they are going to take it and with ratings increasing year after year i think they are just trying to ride that as long as possible with no focus or concern on how they end it. I hope i'm wrong. Expand
  23. Mar 17, 2014
    I'm still getting use to season 4 . season 3 was has drama in to much i still could not stand it but this years walking dead is good . but i hope there's no drama in this season
    Grade for season 3 F
    Grade for season 4 B-
  24. May 27, 2014
    As a fan of the series, the first half was disappointing to say the least. It was slow, uninteresting, and actually made me fall asleep at times. So 1/10 for the first half. Now the second half: Amazing!!! After 3.5 seasons we finally see some real character development. Then theres that kick a## finale. Don't let the first half discourage you: watch it.
  25. Sep 23, 2014
    #KillKarl

Never have I longed to have a character killed off in a series. Karl is hateful; While he isn't the worst of society his character is infected with the worst on his way to tedium.
  26. Feb 16, 2015
    The start of the season is nothing more than mediocre, it gradually got better with the governor story arc; good story telling, shining a new light on the villain. The mid season finale was very good ... too bad they threw away all of that potential by making the remainder of the season 90% filler - the other 10% is great but there is no way in hell that a 5 to 10 minutes of good TV makesThe start of the season is nothing more than mediocre, it gradually got better with the governor story arc; good story telling, shining a new light on the villain. The mid season finale was very good ... too bad they threw away all of that potential by making the remainder of the season 90% filler - the other 10% is great but there is no way in hell that a 5 to 10 minutes of good TV makes up for the pointless walking in circles (literally). (Note there were two episodes after the midseason finale that were worth watching)

AMC's brilliant marketing tactics meant that the best and most tense parts of the episodes were usually on the end, and guess what? Cliff hangers! Now that you're amped to see what’s going to happen next, but guess what? Nothing does happen. Biggest blue balls in a TV series ever.

I spent most of the time having the walking dead season 4 plays in the background as filler and to kill time because there was nothing better on TV at the time. Honestly if you haven't stopped at season 2/3 then you should do so now, or watch a youtube summary, I Guarantee you it'll be more entertaining than this snore fest.

The only reason I'm giving this a 4 is because the first half of the season makes up for it. The writing is awful, and it gets worse each season. The walking dead season 4 contains maybe 2 to 3 good episodes, thank you amc.
  27. Jun 23, 2015
    Toda la temporada fue muy aburrida en si. El final de la mitad temporada es de los mejores episodios de la serie, por eso tiene un 6 esta temporada. Pero después de ese episodio y antes solo fueron episodios de relleno; no lo digo por la acción, sino que la historia no avanza a ningún lado es como ver una novela a ver que mágica-aventuras tendrán los personajes hoy.
    La peor temporada de
    La peor temporada de todas.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 3, 2014
    The Walking Dead might have been one of [the ambitious modern horror series], using a grotesque story to go deep, letting grief and repulsion rile and unsettle us. Instead, it stumbles forward, disguised as prestige TV but devoid of a soul.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 14, 2013
    If the first two episodes are any indication, not only is the series not missing a beat, it's actually growing into itself to allow new storytelling possibilitie
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Hale
    Oct 11, 2013
    The challenge with any extended zombie narrative is striking the right balance between gut-munching action and undergraduate philosophy seminar, and the first two episodes this season are pretty talky.