• Network: AMC
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.2

Universal acclaim- based on 2008 Ratings

1. Feb 10, 2012
    It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v.It amazes me that american t.v. continues to create weak and over dramatised rubbish that idiots rate as positive. This show promises so much but delivers a lot of disappointment. The characters are so annoying that the show leaves you wanting them to be eaten just to save the world before they breed. Love the zombies, but hate the imbeciles this series is based around. Producers of t.v. need better writers. Expand
  2. Aug 26, 2014
    I think this show is not that good, i mean all that is fun to see are the zombies and stuff, cause i mean nobody really care about the characters, they are just not so interesting. It's 4/10. Just my opinion.
  3. Mar 11, 2012
    AMC's The Walking Dead is an adaptation of the comic series of the same name, about a group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse. Being a giant fan of the comics, I watched the show, and I actually didn't mind it for a couple episodes. But the farther the show goes on, the more pacing problems it gets and the more obnoxious my favorite characters would become, if they even showed up atAMC's The Walking Dead is an adaptation of the comic series of the same name, about a group of survivors in the zombie apocalypse. Being a giant fan of the comics, I watched the show, and I actually didn't mind it for a couple episodes. But the farther the show goes on, the more pacing problems it gets and the more obnoxious my favorite characters would become, if they even showed up at all. Tyreese and Michonne are nowhere to be seen. Instead, we're given the generic redneck Daryl and the EXTREMELY stereotyped token black character T-Dog. Seriously. His name is T-Dog.
    The second season definitely drags on, even though it barely touches on any actual plot from the comics. They spend about 8 episodes trying to find Sophia, a girl who went missing and (Spoilers) is a zombie. The sad part is Sophia is alive and well in the comics, nothing bad actually happens to her. The same is to be said with Shane's death, which was much more emotional in the comics, considering Carl is the one who actually kills human Shane to save his father's life. The choice to instead have Rick stab Shane was a waste of good material.
    The more and more I watch this show, the more and more I find myself no longer caring about the characters. They do dumb things, and someone dies. And I don't care. They aren't the characters I love anymore. They're annoying whiny people. Eventually, you'll find yourself rooting for the zombies.
  4. Nov 1, 2010
    A drama series based on the zombie apocalypse sound entertaining, but the dialog in 'The Walking Dead' just seems like it was written by amateurs (I caught myself rolling my eyes a lot) and the incredibly slow pace makes 90 minutes feel like forever. The direction, make-up, design, etc are all pretty good... it's the dialog, or maybe the execution of the dialog that drags this show down.A drama series based on the zombie apocalypse sound entertaining, but the dialog in 'The Walking Dead' just seems like it was written by amateurs (I caught myself rolling my eyes a lot) and the incredibly slow pace makes 90 minutes feel like forever. The direction, make-up, design, etc are all pretty good... it's the dialog, or maybe the execution of the dialog that drags this show down. I watched Episode 1 twice (on Halloween, for maximized affect) to see if maybe I was missing something, but the second go-around was more boring than the first. It's worth watching if you like zombies and there's nothing else on, but it definitely won't be on my DVR. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2012
    Everything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for theEverything just feels vanilla. It's watchable show but I've two major problems with it. One is the writing isn't good enough to tell the kind of story they are trying to tell. In so much that they are trying to tell a story about the psychological effects of the zombies on the survivors, as much as are just doing an all out zombie fest, and it doesn't work because they are going for the best of both worlds. The acting isn't good enough to support the former either, with the acception of Andrew Lincoln. On that note watching Sarah Wayne Callies three eye-face expressions is painful.

The second major problem I have with this season of the show is that it's not scary. At all.

Like I said though, it's watchable in a 'sit round having a few beers with friends' way I guess.
  6. Dec 20, 2011
    I just dont see what people see in this, I dont. Once again the short season doesnt allow for any real development in the show's story. It doesnt help that it takes far too long to get into as well. Also the show is rather generic and isnt all that interesting. The acting is ok and the production value is great but the show just doesnt hit with me.
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    Season one is great. Season two and three turns the show in to a mostly boring soap opera mostly restricted to a few sets that for some reason are immune to the hordes of zombies we're told to expect in the first season. Shallowly drawn characters who act in completely contradictory ways provide the viewer no characters with which they can sympathize, as they repeatedly discuss their priorSeason one is great. Season two and three turns the show in to a mostly boring soap opera mostly restricted to a few sets that for some reason are immune to the hordes of zombies we're told to expect in the first season. Shallowly drawn characters who act in completely contradictory ways provide the viewer no characters with which they can sympathize, as they repeatedly discuss their prior and future actions over and over again ad nauseam.

The tension of being on the run that was established in season one is nowhere to be seen, as zombie attacks are easily fended off in the same way over and over again. Characters act in ways that make little to no logical sense, such as wandering around in the open after one of their number is sniped by an opposing group.

Michael Rooker is one of the only saving graces of the show in terms of acting, and is reappearance is a welcome one. Unfortunately, his scenes just highlight the lack of skills of most of the other actors.

To me, it's a big disappointment after season one. As a huge fan of the b-movie, grind-house zombie apocalypse genre, I think the show misses it entirely in season two and three.
  8. Nov 6, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the comic but the show is just god awfully written. I had potential back with the original writing staff but when they fired everyone the show took a turn for the worst
  9. Dec 4, 2011
    started out really promising for first few episodes, but bad choice of main character, and the timing is all out of sync, it seems too fast as portrayed, but the story drags its heels, and the characters all have way too much to say about nothing to feel realistic in that sortof situation.
  10. Nov 22, 2011
    I was extremely excited about this series, as I love the comics and followed them from the very start. After Season 1 I was still optimistic even though many episodes dragged in places, acting and storywise it was lackluster in my opinion. Season 2 started off with a bang, the first episode had a nice mix of action and drama. But sadly it's gone downhill extremely fast, to the pointI was extremely excited about this series, as I love the comics and followed them from the very start. After Season 1 I was still optimistic even though many episodes dragged in places, acting and storywise it was lackluster in my opinion. Season 2 started off with a bang, the first episode had a nice mix of action and drama. But sadly it's gone downhill extremely fast, to the point where it's basically on the level of a bad daytime soap opera with a zombie in it sometimes. I don't know how else to describe the travesty it's become. I'm very surprised by the praise and ratings this series has gotten, but I think the excellent production values will only carry it so far. I've already decided to stop watching. Expand
  11. Feb 1, 2012
    HI. I watched this since it first came on tv. I thought it was great. The action was good. The writing was decent, not great. The acting in the first episode was ok and from there it just went downhill. After 2-3 episodes, I felt the actors weren't even trying to hook us into the story. I had to give it a five for the action and writing, but the acting, to me, just killed it.
  12. Dec 19, 2011
    I thought the show was alright, characters were great, the zombie scenes were frickin amazing and suspenceful but.. sigh. unfortunatly I can't rate this show more a 6 even if I wanted to because truthfully there were alot of scenes were I just dozed off cause it was really boring.
  13. Nov 1, 2010
    With all of the hype that this show got, I was expecting something on-par with "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" in terms of writing and acting. It seems like The Walking Dead has ample budget, but the show is still strangely reminiscent of the made-for-TV movies one might find on the Sci-Fi channel or the Hallmark channel. I really wanted to like this show, I love zombie movies, and TheWith all of the hype that this show got, I was expecting something on-par with "Breaking Bad" or "Mad Men" in terms of writing and acting. It seems like The Walking Dead has ample budget, but the show is still strangely reminiscent of the made-for-TV movies one might find on the Sci-Fi channel or the Hallmark channel. I really wanted to like this show, I love zombie movies, and The Walking Dead had great gore and makeup. But the story was sluggish and not engaging, and the dialog was totally facepalm-inducing. I honestly don't understand how this show has so many positive reviews. You might enjoy this show if you really liked Stephen King's made-for-TV adaptation of "The Stand". Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2010
    Just couldn't get into the show. For starters, it's not one bit scary. Gory, yes...Scary, no. I never found gore to be particularly scary. It just makes you want to barf is all. I read somewhere that the characters are somewhat hollow. I completely agree with that assessment. The only character I've cared about so far is the horse Next movie-maker that kills a horse or a dog in a movieJust couldn't get into the show. For starters, it's not one bit scary. Gory, yes...Scary, no. I never found gore to be particularly scary. It just makes you want to barf is all. I read somewhere that the characters are somewhat hollow. I completely agree with that assessment. The only character I've cared about so far is the horse Next movie-maker that kills a horse or a dog in a movie gets a personal visit from me and a man-sized beat down in front of his family. I think the cinematography is the best part of this show. Other than that, I found this show to be disappointingly dull. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2010
    Basically a slow version of 28 Days later without the suspense. Visually the show delivers, but after an hour and a half it's a shame they couldn't develop a character I want to tune in for next week. I'm going to keep watching for now, but my expectations are pretty low.
  16. Apr 26, 2011
    The first episode was incredible. Tense, emotional, scary. From there, the series went downhill, and quick. The characters from the comic have been needlessly streamlined in the transition to television, losing much of the subtlety that made the comic so damn good. And with one half-exception, the new characters are just one-note cliches. The action is too slow-moving, withoutThe first episode was incredible. Tense, emotional, scary. From there, the series went downhill, and quick. The characters from the comic have been needlessly streamlined in the transition to television, losing much of the subtlety that made the comic so damn good. And with one half-exception, the new characters are just one-note cliches. The action is too slow-moving, without character development to pick up the dramatic slack. Still, the production values are great, with the zombies being particularly well done. I'm hoping that the second season, with a new writing staff, will remedy the problems I had with the first. In any case, I liked what they tried to do well enough that I'm willing to give season 2 a shot. Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's better than Resident Evil: Afterlife but that's not a ringing endorsement. The 2nd episode was unbelievable and inconsistent in many ways, plus you can almost predict what the next few episodes are going to "reveal" without looking at any trailers - the sheriff's sidekick and wife were bumping uglies before the apocalypse but the cop will still be clueless a while longer while wife racked with guilt. Racist bully blackmail's cop's buddy and wife into getting back at cop in exchange for keeping quiet about their affair (which bully somehow caught wind of); cop's buddy happy to play along and off cop to keep alpha male position and his woman. Noble black father and son from 1st episode show up and set things right to the gratitude of copy. Fat black guy turns out to be a jerk after all so white viewers are retrospectively more sympathetic with racist bully's beat down of him in 2nd episode while smugly dismissing any white guilt.

1. The 2 new black characters looked too polished which my husband and I found annoying. Sista looked like she just got her hair permed, curled and edged, then make-up just ruffled it a bit before the director shouted "Action!" while brother-man just shaved his head and beard. OK, maybe his character is bald, whatever. Everyone else looked a lot more like they been in hell for several weeks, fighting for their lives. I'm here to tell you as a black woman your hair would *never* look that put together after several weeks of no chemical treatments, living out of a tent with no running water or electricity to waste on curling irons and the like. She should look more like the little boy in the first episode, for sure.
    2. The whole racial tension thing felt contrived - that whole score would have been settled long before the cop showed up, one way or another. How it was settled felt...patronizing.
    3. The shooting sequence of those scenes was also painfully obvious - first the black guy is beaten a bloody pulp on the roof and can barely walk (leaning on a wall with his cap still firmly on his head), then he's moving very quickly (san cap) in the basement with everyone else, then in the next roof scene he's back in exact same position, cap on his head, licking his wounds. I almost thought the guy in the basement was his twin or something. wtf?
    4. The white racist/bully being left on the roof with tools accidentally dropped that would help free him in the next episode or so? *groan*
    5. Finally, it was amazing how the zombies would miraculously break/leap through barriers when the plot called to up the action quotient.

The second episode took all the wind out of this series for me. I'm shocked AMC was so quick to renew for a second season (Rubicon at least kept you guessing, at it's excruciatingly slow pace). I'll give it one more week and if doesn't improve I'm bailing.

Though I'm rather tepid on this new series, have fun watching and I wish it luck!
  18. Apr 29, 2011
    I'm not a fan of zombie movies, but I liked this show right away. The first episode drew me in and I almost forgave Mr. Darabont for The Mist. Over the next three episodes though, I found the dialogue and some of the acting to be awkward and uncomfortably corny. I also find it funny that mostly the zombies are restricted to the usual slow limp, yet in one episode they were able to musterI'm not a fan of zombie movies, but I liked this show right away. The first episode drew me in and I almost forgave Mr. Darabont for The Mist. Over the next three episodes though, I found the dialogue and some of the acting to be awkward and uncomfortably corny. I also find it funny that mostly the zombies are restricted to the usual slow limp, yet in one episode they were able to muster up a light jog (a disappointing, "C'Mon!" moment) while pursuing the good guys. The make up is for the most part awesome, but every once in a while you see a zombie that's just a guy with a pale face (a bed-wetting fanboy no doubt). Based on all the positive reviews, I really expected/wanted this show to be awesome. Some of it is - fresh-faced and fearless. Some of it isn't - like an upright, rotting corpse. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2011
    First of this no where near as good as breaking bad or mad men, I really dont see why its got a golden globe nod. I enjoyed watching the first few episodes i, the parts where they were in the city were fun but the out of the city it was pretty dull. I still haven't manage to will myself to watch the finale maybe the finale will be so good it will change my mind........ I doubt it though,
  20. Jun 22, 2011
    the show had a very promising beginning. and I had hopes for it, but after a few episodes it started to become quite boring, and it lacks the good acting and depth of shows like breaking bad or mad men.
  21. Feb 23, 2011
    Boring. How the hell is a zombie story boring? Because they spend too much time developing characters I care nothing about. Let me come clean though. When, in the very first episode, they ripped off the plot of 28 days later, I rolled my eyes, and knew I was in for some B.S. because I didn't think 28 days later was particularly good (but it was at least monumentally better than 28 MonthsBoring. How the hell is a zombie story boring? Because they spend too much time developing characters I care nothing about. Let me come clean though. When, in the very first episode, they ripped off the plot of 28 days later, I rolled my eyes, and knew I was in for some B.S. because I didn't think 28 days later was particularly good (but it was at least monumentally better than 28 Months Later...). The more you watch it, the more you realize the amount of "homage" they pay to every single zombie flick that came before, and you wonder if their winking, or just giving the middle finger to those writers of far better material. Zombie stories aren't fine literature, ever. They evoke primal fear, not intellectual, so when you try to engage the viewer on any level higher than what their amygdala can process, you no longer have a zombie movie/show, you have a show that's trying too hard, and missing the mark terribly. Frankly I'd rather watch something like "Night of the Comet" than this snore fest. Boooooooooo! Expand
  22. Nov 14, 2010
    Ok, I take it back. The second episode is lots better. I am glad I gave it a try. I like that there is a woman with a brain (the African American woman who worked for the zoning department.)
  23. Nov 24, 2010
    The budget is evident. The sets and the effects are fantastic, and some of the empty city scenes are impressive. But there is a but. The acting is a bit 'daytime TV', and none of the characters develops enough for us to truly connect with them. I would have prefered less characters and more moments of silent reflection on the emptiness and violence of the place. I also agree with someThe budget is evident. The sets and the effects are fantastic, and some of the empty city scenes are impressive. But there is a but. The acting is a bit 'daytime TV', and none of the characters develops enough for us to truly connect with them. I would have prefered less characters and more moments of silent reflection on the emptiness and violence of the place. I also agree with some comments here, the series will now be about moving from set piece (the tank, the roof, the woods) to set piece. I imagine the formula will follow something along the lines of:

1.This place looks safe
    2. There are more zombies here than we thought
    3. Now we are trapped.
    4. We lose one or two people (minorities likely)
    5. We make it out and move on.
    6. This place looks safe.

But it is still a really good watch. Violent and fast and everything a zombie show should be.
  24. Nov 23, 2010
    This series started well enough but has quickly devolved into nothing but talk. Already on the 4th episode and zombies are on screen for less than 5 minutes during an "hour" long show. The suspense from the first two episodes seems completely gone now. The last two episodes have sunk into the standard TV series formula that strings you along for 40 minutes, leaving anything worth watchingThis series started well enough but has quickly devolved into nothing but talk. Already on the 4th episode and zombies are on screen for less than 5 minutes during an "hour" long show. The suspense from the first two episodes seems completely gone now. The last two episodes have sunk into the standard TV series formula that strings you along for 40 minutes, leaving anything worth watching for the last 5 minutes of the show (the time slot is an hour long with commercials). I really wanted to like this show. Please read the other low score reviews as they really nail what this show is like. Perhaps The Walking Dead will get better with time. Heck, Fringe sort of did...sort of. Expand
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    A TV series about zombie survival sounds like a great idea but unfortunately the Walking Dead doesn't do much new that we haven't already seen on other movies or video games. The characters are nothing special or interesting and their actions seem unbelievable to their circumstances. The first 2 episodes arn't too bad but as the series unfolds it gets far too ridiculous. The props andA TV series about zombie survival sounds like a great idea but unfortunately the Walking Dead doesn't do much new that we haven't already seen on other movies or video games. The characters are nothing special or interesting and their actions seem unbelievable to their circumstances. The first 2 episodes arn't too bad but as the series unfolds it gets far too ridiculous. The props and costumes are good but the rest of the show is a missed opportunity. Expand
  26. Oct 24, 2011
    Great show, although slow-paced at times. It has a great production value, with the cities portrayed, and the lifelike zombie attire. My only concern is the growing further and further from the original comic story line. I understand they have to make their own impact for a general audience but there are great elements that could be combined. In certain times it even seems to not haveGreat show, although slow-paced at times. It has a great production value, with the cities portrayed, and the lifelike zombie attire. My only concern is the growing further and further from the original comic story line. I understand they have to make their own impact for a general audience but there are great elements that could be combined. In certain times it even seems to not have a sense of a strong female lead. They have made most of them weak and unable to make good choices. I do enjoy watching the show, but it definitely isn't a MUST see for this zombie fan. Expand
  27. LMW
    Jun 10, 2012
    Boring, plainly stupid and bleak TV series. Actors playing arouse nothing but gapes. Their so called "problems" are meaningless - how can they care about fishing when their world is overrun by zombies? Moreover, they do not know what the word respect means - when Dr. Edwin Jenner helps them to escape their sealed fate, how did most of characters pay him back? That is right, by accusing himBoring, plainly stupid and bleak TV series. Actors playing arouse nothing but gapes. Their so called "problems" are meaningless - how can they care about fishing when their world is overrun by zombies? Moreover, they do not know what the word respect means - when Dr. Edwin Jenner helps them to escape their sealed fate, how did most of characters pay him back? That is right, by accusing him in not providing a safe heaven for them. Can you believe that? I can't. And I couldn't for the whole first season. No emotions, no empathy, no drama. Did someone die? Who cares. And, by the way, why the heck all actors have clean and shiny hair even after a big fight or long trip? That looks really strange in a grim, bloody and "realistic" movie. Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2013
    I don't understand all the hype for this show. I saw the first episode among others, and the show is kind of dull, to be honest. It has a lot of shots of Andrew Lincoln's confused face as the events in the first episode unfold, and a lot of confusion and devices to move the story long. It isn't a bad show, per se, but it definitely doesn't deserve all the hype it's been getting.
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead não traz grandes surpresas, e não se diferencia de outras obras com tema zumbis, a não ser pelo formado serie, e ai que a exigências aumentam. Para prender o telespectador a trama tem que ter muitos ganchos e sub temas atrativos e aqui isso não acontece, seguindo uma unica linha narrativa a trama se prende demais a estética zumbi e deixa a narração de lado.
  30. Jun 23, 2012
    The Walking Dead is not bad, but sometimes it's too corny and boring. The characters are pretty bad ... But sometimes it's nice. But Prison Break is another world.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Dec 7, 2010
    Darabont uses the TV-series format to break convention not only by defying the predictabilities of the horror genre (boo!) but also by infusing the recipe with more storytelling elan.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Dec 7, 2010
    I was encouraged that the character-driven third episode was stronger than the zombie action-heavy second, and perhaps the producers will be proven right--that the longer this saga goes on past these initial six episodes, the more it will set itself apart from the zombie canon.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Dec 7, 2010
    The Walking Dead, like any good horror tale, still believes in the importance of monsters, perfectly balancing the struggle of basic human decency with those palsied four-in-the-morning moments when we are convinced that everyone around us is trying to eat us alive