• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 2, 2002
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.1

1. Aug 19, 2013
    The second season follows the edge of perfection. A brilliant story and script, as in the first season. You know watching this season why the people consider The Wire, as one of the best series ever.
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Season 2 of The Wire is my particular favorite. Seeing how the longshoreman operate their illegal business was a nice change of pace from Season 1. I've seen Seasons 1-4 & was hoping to get more of "The Greek", but he hasn't reappeared.
  3. Oct 6, 2011
    This is the season where I fell deeply in love with The Wire. After that, we were inseparable. I could try to **** the DVD case all for the sake of this show. It's beyond brilliant. It's holy
  4. May 24, 2013
    The Second, 12 episode, Season of the critically acclaimed 'The Wire' picks up proceedings not long after the events of year one with the investigative team lead by Daniels now disbanded. Rather than jumping straight back into the aftermath of the Barksdale drug empire (which becomes more of a background story this time around) the writers instead choose to introduce the viewer to another social group found in the city of Baltimore, namely the dock workers that are struggling to make ends meet in modern times. When thirteen bodies are found in an unclaimed container another unpredictable and intriguing case starts to unfold.

All credit must go to the writers and cast who are able to effortlessly craft another fascinating tale despite a completely new focus and the introduction of a whole host of extra characters. As with Season One the line between the supposed good guys and bad guys remains blurred as the show takes the time to fully explore the motivations of its entire cast and it is this that makes The Wire far more than just another cop show.
  5. Nov 22, 2011
    This season of The Wire delivers a message which is all too appropriate today. In the words of Frank Sobotka: "You know what the problem is? We used to make **** in this country, build ****. Now, we just put our hand in the next guy's pocket." An incredible, thought-provoking portrait of the betrayal of America's working class by the country they built.
  6. Mar 3, 2012
    I've watched many, many television shows, and I can confidently affirm that The Wire is by far the greatest achievement in the history of TV. I won't bother typing up a long and well thought-out review because I'm sure the previous users have done a fair enough job of describing this show, but I will say this: no other television series compares to The Wire, and it will be a long time before another one does. Expand
  7. Jul 19, 2013
    simply the standard by which all other shows are judged. i have the sopranos slightly higher, but the wire holds quality quite well throughout and the quality is simply incredible. this is the story of a city told from the ground up. the first season is a dive into an immense world that just keeps getting deeper and deeper until you realise we are all part of the world beyond the wire and yet the city rolls on.

this first season is judged on its own merits, easily a 10, and no amount of idiot middle class who love it because they were told to, despite never seeing the show, or counter counter culture descreditors are going to make me forget that.

1 is a ten based on its own merits.
    the series is a 10 based on its own merits.
    the weaker seasons are a 10 based on the fact they are that much better than anything else on tv, at what they do, with a very few key exceptions.

9.5 rounded up.
  8. Jun 28, 2012
    Yet another brilliant season of the greatest TV drama of all time. The story of the middle class being screwed over by the city they helped to built was tragic and powerful, with some splendid new characters and the usual dramatic gut-punches one grows to expect from 'The Wire'. PS: Valchek is a d***
  9. Sep 9, 2014
    Season 2 of the wire moves from the inner city to the docks, but continues to show the story of institutional inertia crushing out the individual on a regular basis. It's well into the Tragedy section of the Comedy/Tragedy scale, and it's very well done.
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Equally as brilliant as the first season once the pieces fall into place, the season's focus shifts up the drug chain from dealers to suppliers through the smugglers but as with most things in David Simon's Baltimore, everything is connected and it turns out that the smugglers (and by connection the union) supply Proposition Joe who cuts a deal with Stringer. This link ensures that the likes of Stringer, Avon, D'Angelo and Omar still feature, although less prominently than the first season, replaced with the characters of the stevedore union.

Central to the season is Frank Sobotka, excellently played by Chris Bauer, who finds himself torn between looking out for his union and future generations of the traditionally local workforce and doing the right thing and setting the right example to his son and nephew. He is truly horrified at the discovery of thirteen dead girls inside a can on his dock but can't bring himself to break his connection to 'The Greek'.

What really struck me about the story's beginning was the initial infighting between jurisdictions and departments, led by Homicide Major Rawls, over the ownership of the thirteen Jane Does, something I can well believe after reading David Simon's book, Homicide A Year on the Killing Streets. This kind of gritty, self serving, inhumane approach to homicides really cannot be found anywhere else but The Wire. Also, as with the first season, season two's ending is far from the fairytale ending to be expected in most films or TV shows. The penultimate episode, Bad Dreams, finishes with one of the best set of scenes I think I have ever seen on a TV screen. Played out over an fitting Greek song 'Efige Efige' (translated to 'He Left'), the montage displays the fortunes of Frank swinging 180 degrees through a series of events elsewhere at precisely the wrong time. A masterpiece.
  11. May 13, 2014
    The Wire is simply the best show ever created. Once you get into the show you will not want to stop watching it. It is totally engrossing and it is almost impossible not to love this work of perfection!
  12. Jul 24, 2012
    Normally to call a season of a show a 7 out of 10 is incredible, but following one of the best seasons of a show I have ever seen it was a bit of a disappointment. Bottom line is that the dock worker plot just did not work for me. Their was not one of these characters that I rooted for or felt the least bit invested in. Still love all the cop work, and there was enough Stringer and Barksdale to wet my appetite for next year, I would have just liked more of it. Here is hoping next year is more season 1 and less 2. Expand
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like a good book, The Wire is hard to put down. You don't just come back because the occasional episode has a mind bending cliffhanger; you come back to see more excellent drama unfold. Judging by the first two Seasons, I can say that The Wire has been the most consistent show I've watched since Breaking Bad. Thinking of a weak link in the chain of this cop drama is near impossible.

My main complaint for why this is a '9' instead of a '10' is one that's hard to articulate and you may or may not agree. I feel that through the middle of the Season, not a whole lot of exciting developments occur. At this point, a lot of episodes felt like typical The Wire episodes and they all just kind of blended together in my mind. On a more narrow scope, I also felt that with the task force, headed by Daniels, was annoyingly trying too hard to emulate the success of Season 1. Some awesome situations arised, but a lot of it felt too familiar. Drama over the wire-tap again? Seriously guys? It's called The Wire but it gets on my nerves a when shows repeat that same old same old. I mean, even the detail had similar members. It was occasionally thrilling to have the characters reunite but the pay-off of revisiting the first Season's successes wasn't overly grand.

On the other hand, the opening and closing segments where absolutely amazing. It is common for dramas to do this and sink a bit in the mid-Season, and while I feel this Season did this, I also feel that the middle chunk was a hell of a lot better than most shows' best efforts. Plus, I'd be remiss not to mention the almost masterful "All Prologue" that lands dead centre in the Season's 12 episode run (the part where The Wire ever so slightly stumbles come before and after this pivotal episode).

Okay, so first of all, if Omar Little wasn't one of your favourite characters before, that courtroom scene will change your mind. I believe I'm quoting a legitimate TV critic when I say that there is no character ever created quite like Omar. The tough-as-nails robber has enough swagger with just him and his shotgun to scare of legions of Barksdale's men into hiding, as shown in the first Season. He's also got a relatable sense of justice and a sharp wit. I mean, yeah, I'm sure most of us won't shoot up the people who killed your lover, but Omar seems to know when to go to the cops or take matters into his own hands. He's also distinctly unique for being gay; there's no one quite like him, although Issac from the seventh Season of Dexter is the closest I can think of for both character's sexual orientation, similar street smarts and general wit. Where the two differ, however, comes in Omar's relative independence and the general purpose of Issac vs. Omar (Issac was merely a half Season villain, while Omar has more longevity).

Anyway, "All Prologue" also featured D'Angelo's emotional departure. The true test of whether or not this move was effective came later in the game. McNulty and D'Angelo are often compared to one another as two sides of the same coin. Before his death, D believed thoroughly that no matter how hard you try, you did what you did. You can say you've changed, but the past is what makes you who you are. McNulty is a cop at heart but he tries to change that by retiring and making amends with his ex-wife. After he fails, he goes back to the detail, doing the things he truly loves. You can often see the character's joy on the detail, as he is once again played impeccably by the talented Dominic West.

I'm quite surprised to hear that a lot of folks found Frank Sobotka's (Chris Bauer) shipping empire to be uninteresting. I'm quite on the contrary; I think this plot line was just as interesting as the Barksdale dealings that occurred both this and last Season. For me, it was really hard not to feel for Frank. Since his job wildly depends on uncontrollable factors, it's hard to blame him for trying to provide for his family (a la the early Seasons of Breaking Bad).

However, this is very much Nick Sobotka's (Pablo Schreiber) story. Superior than his cousin Ziggy (James Ransone) in a lot of ways, Nick unintentionally drives his cousin into making some very bad decisions to prove himself as a man. At the very end, his cousin is in jail and his uncle is dead. His arc seems to be far from over, and I'll look forward to seeing him down the line as he possibly tries to hunt down "those Greek bastards".

There's a lot to talk about this Season, but only so little space. If I know The Wire, than all the various interesting character and plot threads will add up into something big. Not just Seasonal arcs. I predict The Wire will continue to use every second of screen-time preciously until the final episode, not stopping to aid the contemporary audience that just doesn't get it. Everything is moving along nicely so far, as we're given a good closure on this Season and enough loose ends to keep us wanting more.

Chapter 2, complete....
  14. Mar 11, 2014
    En los primeros capitulo pueden ser algo lentos, pero conforme avanza la serie se vuelve cada vez genial, personajes nuevos como Frank Sobotka, Nick Sobotka o la temible organizacion criminal de los griegos le dieron a la serie un toque diferente con respecto a la primera temporada que ya habiamos visto a los traficantes, en este caso esta temporada era el caso de treces mujeres muertas y que conectaba con los estibadores del puerto de Baltimore. Esos ultimos capitulos fueron brillantes. Expand
  15. Nov 7, 2013
    Lately, as I just finished seeing Breaking Bad, there were claims that it was the best series ever. To my dismay, I realized that reaching said conclusions without seeing other series such as the Sopranos wasn't fair. But then I stumbled with The Wire. Season 1 was great, but the second season is up there.

Deep character arcs, amazing story and a series that doesn't get a lot of love
    because it is pre-Facebook era. So obviously the hype isn't there because it isn't "hot" or "current". But to me, plot wise, character-depth and dialogue wise it puts Breaking Bad to utter shame. That's how good I believe it is. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Jul 18, 2013
    What Simon is doing with "The Wire" - besides crafting arguably the most realistic cop show ever - is taking the narrative style of books and translating it to television. ... By itself, it raises TV's collective IQ at least a few points. [29 May 2003]
  2. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Jul 18, 2013
    The Wire doesn't receive the attention of other HBO dramas, but it should. It often surpasses them in the chances it takes and the stories it tells. [1 Jun 2003]
  3. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Jul 18, 2013
    An immensely satisfying - and immensely complicated - police drama. [31 May 2003]