The Wire : Season 4

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.6

1. Alastair
    Sep 22, 2006
    Unimpeachably brilliant. The best television show ever made.
  2. jerryb
    Sep 23, 2006
    Best show ever.... I can't say much cause it'll take too long... bottom line you have to watch it from season 1 on to appreciate it..
  3. Christine
    Sep 24, 2006
    The Wire has been the best thing on TV since its first season. How can it be that it took so long for it to be recognized (it doesn't seem to be listed in Metacritic's "Best of 2005)? Increidbly smart writing, acting, producing and editing. I dred the story coming to an end after next year.
  4. brian
    Sep 27, 2006
    I am obsessed with "The Wire". Only started watching a few weeks ago and have almost made it up to the current season (thanks to dvds of season 1-3)... Nothing else is like it, although it jumps off from "Homicide" and "The Corner", Baltimore shows that explored similar ground. It's not just TV... it's THE WIRE! Ya feel me? ps, if you're just starting as a Wire-o-phile, I am obsessed with "The Wire". Only started watching a few weeks ago and have almost made it up to the current season (thanks to dvds of season 1-3)... Nothing else is like it, although it jumps off from "Homicide" and "The Corner", Baltimore shows that explored similar ground. It's not just TV... it's THE WIRE! Ya feel me? ps, if you're just starting as a Wire-o-phile, turn on the subtitles Expand
  5. C.Cotton
    Sep 27, 2006
    The Wire sets the bar for crime dramas. This is the show I go to when I need to see what great acting and great writing is all about. After watching the first few episodes of this season I was able to review all the other shows on my list and start chopping some of them off my list just because most can't campare to this drama.
  6. JeremyH
    Sep 28, 2006
    Best show on television. Well written and perfectly casted...no television drama can touch it with a ten foot poll...or shotgun, whichever you prefer
  7. GregA
    Sep 5, 2006
    The greatest show ever. Period.
  8. DonyG
    Sep 6, 2006
    This is the best show in television history. That's not an exaggeration. Tell your friends about it. 3 episodes and you're hooked. Guaranteed. If they don't give it a fifth season everyone at HBO should be arrested and then fired.
  9. SamD
    Sep 6, 2006
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this show can't really be underrated. Astonishing drama. Sure, it's not easy to watch and it requires that the viewer be involved in what's going on but the rewards are more than any other show I've ever seen. Greatest show ever.
  10. rc
    Sep 7, 2006
    Greatest dramatic Television series ever, truly a work of art. Season 4 appears to follow that trend, the opening scene alone is one of the Wire's best.
  11. zzt.
    Oct 1, 2007
    I don't get it. To me The Wire is massively overhyped. I enjoy watching it, but it feels like a glorified "The Shield". It lacks the dynamic and dramatic style of The Sopranos. The use of music is also more effective in Sopranos. Then there are pacing issues ... at times The Wire just prods along. Yea yea, we know, its praised for bringing social issues to the forefront and its I don't get it. To me The Wire is massively overhyped. I enjoy watching it, but it feels like a glorified "The Shield". It lacks the dynamic and dramatic style of The Sopranos. The use of music is also more effective in Sopranos. Then there are pacing issues ... at times The Wire just prods along. Yea yea, we know, its praised for bringing social issues to the forefront and its "realistic" but I want to be entertained as well; sometimes its just like a documentary, a boring one at that. The Sopranos has its cerebral psychobabble moments with the flashbacks and the psychiatrist, but they are well balanced with lots of drama, sex, violence and excellent directing. Also, theres no comparison interms of individual acting achievements .. theres certainly no one as impressive as Falco, Gandolfini or Imperioli on The Wire. The Wire needs more scenes like the famous detective scene with Bunk and McNulty to balance the prodding multi-threaded drama that engulfs most of the episodes If you like slow, cerebral, cop shows, The Wire might be an interesting watch. Overall, you will get more bang for your buck from the far more well balanced Sopranos...certainly there are many more shocking and classic scenes in The Sopranos which will be etched in your memory forever. Rent seasons 1 and 2 of both the Sopranos and The Wire and do the comparison yourself. Expand
  12. BerylW
    Jan 1, 2007
    I've watch it from the first episode, I wait not even patiently for it every year. I'm so blown away this year. I recommend it to everyone. It should be required watching for the school boards. It should be required watching, because it is so very good. Maybe it's so high above the rest it rates more than any award could ever say; but it should be recognized anyway.
  13. JamesW
    Jan 13, 2007
    The finest television show in history. I find that only people who wouldn't invest in a few episodes of the show can say it's not one of if the favorite show of all itme. Season 4 allows viewers without knowledge of the prior seasons to enjoy the storyline. But believe me, if you haven't watched the previous three seasons, do yourself a favor and watch them. Not only does The finest television show in history. I find that only people who wouldn't invest in a few episodes of the show can say it's not one of if the favorite show of all itme. Season 4 allows viewers without knowledge of the prior seasons to enjoy the storyline. But believe me, if you haven't watched the previous three seasons, do yourself a favor and watch them. Not only does it enhance the enjoyment of season 4, but if you are going to watch tv, you might as well watch the best show. When season 5 concludes, I may seriously consider whether I need a television anymore. Expand
  14. Rachel
    Jan 15, 2007
    Best show on tv, no question.
  15. HeatherA
    Jan 15, 2007
    I have watched every season of The Wire since it first started and each one is better than the last. Being from Baltimore County I can really appreciate how well the story line and casting is. It is a rediculous that this show keeps getting passed over-extremely disapointing.
  16. DavidP.
    Oct 15, 2007
    What Dostoyevsky did for literature, the wire has done for contemporary pop culture, and like Dostoyevsky appreciation was far more reserved until a later period. But, I like the show's status just as it is, though small, for those who watch it are constantly rewarded. A new day is not dawning in the city of Baltimore, the Barksdale's drug empire is no where to be seen, a new What Dostoyevsky did for literature, the wire has done for contemporary pop culture, and like Dostoyevsky appreciation was far more reserved until a later period. But, I like the show's status just as it is, though small, for those who watch it are constantly rewarded. A new day is not dawning in the city of Baltimore, the Barksdale's drug empire is no where to be seen, a new prince rules the streets (Marlo Stanfield), Mcnulty's back on the beat, Bunk is unable to convict a very guilty Omar for the stash house assassination, Carcetti struggles in the race for mayor, drug lieutenants Chris Partlow and Felicia "Snoop" Pearson are stacking up bodies quicker than a drop of a hat and four school kids are at risk from it all. There is always one outstanding feature with the wire that I have constantly admired, its storytelling. Unlike the more conventional "cop" dramas where cases are solved with in a fifty minute time frame, the wire takes it toll and very slowly. In season 1 the viewers were introduced to a drug syndicate known as the Barksdale's headed by the brash Avon Barksdale and the highly intelligent Stringer Bell. That particular story lasted an immense three seasons where the viewers grew with the characters laughs were disposed as were shocks and tears. Only one of the street characters from season 1 has remained, the self proclaimed and content soldier Bodie (JD Williams) who is not quite the same person without his crew he has become irritant and angry over Marlo Stanfield's unpredictable rulings and redundant leadership. There are only three members in Bodie's crew Lex, Little Kevin and Namond - the unruly and rowdy teenager whose story develops heavily over the course of the series. From Namond we met his friends Michael, Dukie and Randy who all become a primary focus for seaon 4's story. From the perspective of law enforcement this season we follow the breakdown of the major crimes unit. Lester has been reassigned to homicide as has Kima joining Bunk, Prez has bacome a school teacher, Herc remains in major crimes as does Sydnor though Mcnulty and Carver have both decided to work the streets. From the political aspect we follow Carcetti's rise to power and Royce's sheer will to stop him. from the drug perspective we see Marlo order more assassinations than you can count and in doing so he and his high ranking members (Chris and Snoop). Yet again this show proves that good does not triumph over evil infact between it all the only moral compass is the city of Baltimore no one ever wins in the long run. Bodie and his crew are killed one by one over the course of the season and it's utterly heart breaking until the final episode where Bodie has a moment of clarity realizing there is no way out and is prepared to be killed. The kids who start with their own agenda conclude to be completely opposite by the end. Happily Carcetti wins though in doing this his obsession for winning has alienated his long term friends an colleagues leaving him to be a very lonely king. The inner circle amongst the ranks of the police department becomes more and more distant. By the end Marlo Stanfield's paranoia grows so high that his methods of keeping safe are preposterous. The wire is as engrossing as it is distant as beautiful as it is ugly and as funny as it is tragic. you can't nibble at this show because you have to devour it. Expand
  17. elisem
    Jan 16, 2007
    As a public school teacher, I can verify that the wire is "right on target" in its depiction of what goes on in an inner city school.
  18. DanielH.
    Nov 8, 2007
    Probably the closest thing to perfect you can get on TV. If you find yourself getting in to this show in it's censored version on BET, get the DVD's from a rental store or a library...there's no comparison.
  19. tanyar
    Jan 19, 2007
    love this show cant wait for the season to start
  20. LaMiciaT
    Jan 2, 2007
    I'm crazy hooked on The Wire ever since "Namond" came on Scream Tour 5, 2 weeks ago...Where has this show been all my life it's real !!!! HBO on demand got rid of it tho (idots). Happy New Year, now i gotta buy the DVD. lata
  21. GreenA.
    Dec 3, 2007
    So brilliantly acted that it boggles my mind. Where did they find such young actors who could act in such intensive, high tension scenes? Richly layered and somehow manages to develop the characters, symbolic progressions, social critique, and compelling plot all at once. This is almost unprecedented for a TV show!
  22. michaelr
    Jan 23, 2007
    I did'nt watch the first two seasons of the wire thinking it would'nt interest me and then one night midway through season three I caught a episode and I was hooked. I am glad BET is showing the wire from the beginning so I can veiw from start to finish. Looking foward to season four.
  23. HaileD
    Jan 29, 2007
    Best TV Drama show I have ever seen.
  24. PaulD
    Oct 29, 2007
    This is the finest piece of media/literature that I have seen in my lifetime. Season 4 not only met my unrealistic expectations after the first 3 seasons, it surpassed them. For those who stick with it from the 1st episode of the 1st season they will be rewarded with a masterpiece. This is our modern cities, our modern institutions etc. played out in the mold of an epic Greek tragedy.
  25. TT
    Oct 31, 2007
    My vote for the best show on TV. TV can be so painfully melodramatic which makes The Wire so refreshing. Real people, real lives.
  26. AmyW
    Jan 31, 2007
    I just finished watching the season's run on my DVR. I didn't want the show to end! I loved how the show dealt with the children and their characters were so well developed.
  27. LindaM
    Jan 7, 2007
    Real, so real to life in the urban setting. Truly fabulous; couldn't wait for each episode.
  28. F.C.Barcelona
    Jan 8, 2007
    U2: Joshua Tree: An great album Marvin Gaye: What's goin' on; Gorgeous album: Jesse Jamerson on bass is exquisite Zinedine Zidane v. Brazil: Masterclass in midfield orchestration The Wire: One wants to sing and mourn in the same breath after watching this show!
  29. EdM
    Jan 9, 2007
    The BEST SHOW ON TV EVER. All-Caps intentional.
  30. TomY
    Feb 12, 2007
    Best show ever. Spread the word!
  31. shanelees
    Feb 18, 2007
    outstanding
  32. talyab
    Mar 15, 2007
    The best drama on TV, or maybe all of film, ever.
  33. JeffA
    Mar 23, 2007
    Why does this 'cop drama' differ from anything we have ever seen... first off, an entire season dedicated to 1 case instead of each episode being and open and closed case within an hour. This captures the viewers interest not only in the characters, but the case as well. And another reason it is different, and most importantly, it shows you 2-4 angles. We are not just seeing Why does this 'cop drama' differ from anything we have ever seen... first off, an entire season dedicated to 1 case instead of each episode being and open and closed case within an hour. This captures the viewers interest not only in the characters, but the case as well. And another reason it is different, and most importantly, it shows you 2-4 angles. We are not just seeing everything from the police's view, or the street's view. Everyone can relate/agree with motives of so much variety of character. Expand
  34. ChuckS
    Mar 26, 2007
    "The Wire" is the most thoroughly engrossing TV show I've ever watched. To my mind, It can't even really be compared to other television series.
  35. TheMightyShango
    Mar 28, 2007
    If a really RREALLY great novel could be televised this would be the result. The Wire's greatest strength is that not one inch of roll of film is wasted, every single scene has rellevance to the overall story. Narrative compression at its finest. Its only flaw is the producers/Writers are not experts at Cinematography, but that can be forgiven because the main focus is on the city of If a really RREALLY great novel could be televised this would be the result. The Wire's greatest strength is that not one inch of roll of film is wasted, every single scene has rellevance to the overall story. Narrative compression at its finest. Its only flaw is the producers/Writers are not experts at Cinematography, but that can be forgiven because the main focus is on the city of Baltimore and its failing institutions (the ports, the schools, the police, politics, healthcare, it goes on) which can be translated to any major modern metropolitan city worldwide. Expand
  36. ChrisZ
    Mar 29, 2007
    One of the best filmed narratives ever produced ever. Delicately balanced. Finely observed. Intelligently executed. Sets itself apart from any other show on television.
  37. trex
    Apr 10, 2007
    Not only the greatest TV show of all-time, but the greatest artistic acheivement of all-time. Just absolutely stunning. 200 years from now people will be watching this show like Shakespeare
  38. RichC
    Apr 26, 2007
    This is the show that makes all others insignificant. Season 4 is the best season yet of the most engrossing TV drama ever made. By the season's finale, you'll regard Namond, Dukie, Michael and Randy as your own children. The acting, plot, and especially the dialogue have simply never been bettered on TV.
  39. romanmc
    Apr 6, 2007
    Trust the 160 people here who liked this show, not the two that didn't. Most phenomenal example of entertainment this decade. Can't wait for the DVD.
  40. FrankR
    Apr 9, 2007
    One of the best series ever produced for television, period.
  41. MattN.
    May 28, 2007
    Simply the greatest thing on televsion . Ever.
  42. PaulK.
    Jun 12, 2007
    This is by far the best show I've ever watched. I haven't bought a dvd of a TV show until now.
  43. JeromeR
    Jul 18, 2007
    Awesome!
  44. miriamh.
    Jul 2, 2007
    I lied. It's and eleven!
  45. JustinG.
    Jul 29, 2007
    this show is great bring avon barksdale back
  46. MarieM.
    Jul 4, 2007
    The Wire has a real, gritty, on the edge of your seat edge to it that no other TV show can come close to. This is THE best show on TV and I wait inpatiently for the next series. I have bought all the DVD's also. I don't want it to end. It is about time a black drama reflected life as it truly is - warts and all! The cast are quality actors - very believable. Well done to the The Wire has a real, gritty, on the edge of your seat edge to it that no other TV show can come close to. This is THE best show on TV and I wait inpatiently for the next series. I have bought all the DVD's also. I don't want it to end. It is about time a black drama reflected life as it truly is - warts and all! The cast are quality actors - very believable. Well done to the producers, directors and cast. Expand
  47. lu
    Aug 14, 2007
    Best show ever.
  48. lu
    Aug 6, 2007
    Best show ever.
  49. ChristopherC.
    Sep 11, 2007
    What else can I say that already has not been said....See the wire..it will change the way you look at TV.
  50. eliast.
    Nov 13, 2008
    The second best season of the best television show ever made. Attention David Simon - Please get back to work!
  51. FreddieG.
    Jan 14, 2008
    One of the most well written and well acted shows I've ever seen!!!! Good job.
  52. FaizalK.
    Jan 16, 2008
    By far the best show on T.V it is a shame it has never won an Emmy, maybe it has something to do with the black roles on the show being just as important as any white actors role in the show. Just my opinion.
  53. FuzzyD.
    Jan 20, 2008
    When I watched the first episode of the first season, I was really confused. I had never been that confused in my life. Why the hell is Rawls mad at McNulty? Why is he giving him two middle fingers? What about that random dead dude? What is a buy - bust? What is a detail? What are the relationships between various police bosses? Why the hell am I watching this complicated crap? I thought When I watched the first episode of the first season, I was really confused. I had never been that confused in my life. Why the hell is Rawls mad at McNulty? Why is he giving him two middle fingers? What about that random dead dude? What is a buy - bust? What is a detail? What are the relationships between various police bosses? Why the hell am I watching this complicated crap? I thought about giving up, but I watched the next two episodes and rewatched all of them. I figured out how the police department worked, and from then on I've understood every single episode to the fullest without having to rewatch, and it is the most rewarding, enriching story I've ever seen. I could call it the best show on television, but that would be an understatement. I have read lots of famous literature by many a great author, but I've never been told a story in any form, TV, movie, book or play. as compelling or engrossing as The Wire. It is completely realistic in every sense. It has realistic acting. I never see any Kiefer Sutherland yelling or CSI sunglasses dude leaning on something and smirking. Just pure, realistic acting, except for Carver in the first two episodes of season four. Maybe some people like ridiculous overacting but I find it embarrassing to watch with someone else in the room. The Wire can also be gut - bustingly funny. It's not a comedy, so they don't have to force stupid, zany jokes at every corner- they can wait for perfect timing. The story lines are also totally realistic. That makes the show about a million times more powerful than anything else that you could watch and tell yourself, "ya know, this isn't real." Some argue that it's more of a documentary and not really fun to watch. I can only disagree and say that it is extremely entertaining. It's not like I watch it to educate myself on Baltimore's struggles. If the language, sex, violence or plot complexity upsets you to the point of not watching it, all I can say is that I'm very sorry for you. You are missing out on the most provocative, brilliant, and realistic story ever told. Expand
  54. TimB.
    Jan 26, 2008
    Greatest show ever made. No show is as well acted and as perfectly put together. It is gritty, depressing, and realistic.
  55. MIkes.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Probably the best show in television history. One of the most brilliant and exciting shows ever, I can watch every season and still feel excited
  56. RH.
    Mar 10, 2008
    It did what it set out to do every week shock and awe with the truth.
  57. SeanL.
    Mar 25, 2008
    TwentyOne Spicer: Nice job revealing details of the 5TH SEASON, to which this page is not dedicated. The Wire does not glorify "child killers"; the heartache you feel when a character is murdered should make that perfectly clear. This season is, in all honesty, the closest any writer or director has ever come to television perfect.
  58. StaceyS.
    Apr 13, 2008
    I love everything about this show! It was extremely thought provoking, each character and storyline was captivating, and best of all, it was REAL. I was hooked and watched all 5 season in 3 months.
  59. OmarL.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Such a shame that this show was cancelled. The Absolute greatest show of all time on television, with this Season begin the best (with Season 2 being a close 2nd). Deep, moving, and sad. A Must-watch
  60. WesM.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Fine viewing; chock full of insights but not as realistic a depiction of its subjects as it purports to be.
  61. RobK
    Jul 25, 2008
    Greatest piece of television history.
  62. AndrewG.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Literally the best piece of entertainment I've ever experienced. The very first scene of the season, in particular, is beyond incredible. The last scene of the second to last episode brought me to uncontrollable tears.
  63. TejasA.
    Jul 29, 2008
    The best season of television I have ever seen.
  64. ES
    Aug 17, 2008
    Utterly Brilliant.
  65. SteveM
    Nov 25, 2009
    Without a doubt the best show ever made. Now everything I watch I can't enjoy because it will never be quite as good.
  66. AidenL
    Oct 15, 2009
    The finest show, and season, ever made. Nothing is as accurate, entertaining, intelligent, and true to the American city and institutions. The Wire is most certainly a heart breaker - but my understanding of society is so strengthened that I could never advice one not to see this...
  67. GregF.
    Jan 19, 2009
    Best TV series I have ever watched.
  68. TimE.H
    Jan 7, 2009
    The series is broad in scope, and it deals with a timely and a necessary subject, but at times, the acting and the writing don't do justice to the topic.
  69. Heman
    May 13, 2009
    Literature, journalism and poetry all come together in a show that is layered in its message, fierce in its plot and portrayal and reeks of realism that is devoid in Hollywood. This type of gripping and profoundly educational entertainment is rare!
  70. alanf
    Jun 30, 2009
    the best
  71. IanH.
    Aug 31, 2009
    The Best Season of the wire, in my opinion.
  72. RussellW
    Sep 11, 2009
    I started watching The Wire because I'd heard enough to make me think it could be on a par with The Sopranos. It turned out to be on another plane entirely, head and shoulders above any other TV drama ever. Season 4 turns its attention to the inner-city public school system and, perhaps more than in any other aspect of the entire series, this can make for some depressing viewing. I started watching The Wire because I'd heard enough to make me think it could be on a par with The Sopranos. It turned out to be on another plane entirely, head and shoulders above any other TV drama ever. Season 4 turns its attention to the inner-city public school system and, perhaps more than in any other aspect of the entire series, this can make for some depressing viewing. Even Charles Dickens, in his most Dickensian aspect, would have gone a lot easier on his audience. Of course there are eventually some redemptive moments but these barely compensate for the preceding bleakness. But you don't (I hope) watch The Wire to be uplifted but to be *involved*. And, if you give the show the attention it deserves, it will involve you like nothing else on television before or, probably, after. Expand
  73. CP
    Sep 15, 2009
    The best season of the best TV show ever.
  74. PatW
    Nov 28, 2006
    I have been captivated by this show since season one. There is not a more accurate or honest show on television. It amazes me that shows like Entourage gets fans for a 20 minute episode yet the Wire never seems to recieve a bit of a following even with hour long episodes.
  75. JanellJ
    Nov 29, 2006
    I cannot fully articulate how outstanding this show is. Without contest, the best show on television.Period.
  76. GeorgeE
    Dec 11, 2006
    the wire is the best show i have ever seen in my life, i almost shed a tear during last nights final episode.
  77. CeceS
    Dec 21, 2006
    Television at its best!!!! It's well deserving at the very least a nomination. I've been around since the first season, and everytime you think it can't possibly get any better.....It absolutely can, and does!!!!! What a journey! Thank you HBO for bringing us only the best!!!!
  78. michaelj
    Dec 23, 2006
    a show thats grabs u and makes you intranced
  79. KathS
    Dec 23, 2006
    The best reality show on television.
  80. CandiceA
    Dec 26, 2006
    As a Baltimorean and an educator, I was not eager to jump feet first into the Wire frenzy. Now, I can honestly say that the show has pierced parts of me that I have tried to keep stoic so that I can continue to live and do the "trench work" here. I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing-- but like Bubbles, I am addicted.
  81. RaduD
    Dec 30, 2006
    This is by far the best TV drama ever made.
  82. COLLINS
    Dec 5, 2006
    The greates show of all times!!!!!
  83. DavidG
    Dec 9, 2006
    Why not pile on to a good thing? A great thing actually -- the best work on television in the past decade, period.
  84. ScotchZombie
    Sep 12, 2006
    The best show on television (just beating out Deadwood in my view). If you've missed the first three seasons, read the fantastic episode guides on HBO.com - or better yet find the DVDs. Do not miss!
  85. MelanieT
    Sep 12, 2006
    Amazing show! Best one on television!
  86. MichaelJ
    Sep 13, 2006
    A great show. On top of everything else this episode was unbelievably funny. Great way to start the 1st season. Waiting for the return of Omar.
  87. EricS
    Sep 13, 2006
    I taught in the inner city of the Baltimore City Schools System for two years. This show is not fiction - it is an accurate portrayal of reality on TV. A must see for every American.
  88. KevinJ
    Sep 14, 2006
    I would give up red meat for this show. Nothing else even comes close to matching the continuing brilliance displayed in every aspect of The Wire. This show doesn't deserve an Emmy. It deserves a Nobel Prize.
  89. GordonT
    Sep 15, 2006
    I really like this show. It is well written and acted. It lacks the edge of some other shows but now Im cutting hairs. I don't see why a show like this can't make it on regular TV. I mean the crap (CSI amd all its spawns) thats on regular TV now is such a waste. The plots are so obvious and the dialog so perdictable and finally the content so not challenging.This show should be on CBS!
  90. AndreaD
    Sep 24, 2006
    We watched the first 3 seasons of The Wire on demand and DVD in a marathon this summer, and found it to be as addictive as the heroin trade it often scrutinizes. The complexity of its characters, the depth of its writing, its critical eye, make it the best show ever.
  91. jOHNM
    This show is REAL!
  92. TeresaW
    Jan 17, 2007
    I think this is one of the best shows that has come out in the past 10 years!!!
  93. DanielP
    Oct 21, 2007
    Brilliant.
  94. BerthaA.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Doug Elfman (the Sun-Times guy) is an idiot. I was gonna hold off on reviewing season 4 until I'd seen the whole thing, but I just wanted to say that and refute his little blurb (the whole review link is dead, I think). Maybe it helps that I watch them back to back via DVD, but I've thought the pacing of every season (except maybe three, in spots) has been brilliant. I Doug Elfman (the Sun-Times guy) is an idiot. I was gonna hold off on reviewing season 4 until I'd seen the whole thing, but I just wanted to say that and refute his little blurb (the whole review link is dead, I think). Maybe it helps that I watch them back to back via DVD, but I've thought the pacing of every season (except maybe three, in spots) has been brilliant. I can't imagine someone being like, "come on, The Wire, get to the point already." If you don't have the patience for something to develop over a whole(!) season, Elfman, then you shouldn't be watching The Wire (or getting paid to review stuff). The Wire is all about details. I mean, the "first batch of episodes" has to establish the level of the kids' innocence so that the erosion of whatever is left of it becomes all that more important. And I mean actually establish something, not some Law & Order crap. I, myself, only have one bone to pick with what I've seen so far. At one point, one of the kids (the one with the ponytail) says that he'll take money as long as it's given out for free. Later on, the state senator says the exact same thing. I didn't like how on-the-nose this was. Part of The Wire's appeal is its realism; I thought this prod at the viewer to see a correlation between the street and W. Baltimore politics was too direct. Anyway, I think The Wire is a televised miracle. I can't believe I get the privilege of watching such an amazing show. How this got on television, I'll never be able to guess. Expand
  95. JohnJ
    Dec 25, 2007
    Simply the best.
  96. MargeA
    Dec 26, 2007
    The best show on TV hands down. I mourned the loss of Homicide but The Wire surpasses even that brilliant show on a number of levels. Hopefully it will win a well-deserved and long overdue Emmy for writing.
  97. PatrickM
    Jan 28, 2007
    My favorite comment regarding the show: "If you're not watching The Wire, you should have your TV taken away." True that!!
  98. JeromeR
    Mar 21, 2007
    Awesome!
  99. MichaelB
    Mar 25, 2007
    While I wasn't too impressed with the first season, the following three seasons were absolutely brilliant. If you enjoy harsh cop dramas, don't overlook The Wire.
  100. lindas
    Mar 26, 2007
    being in the surrounding county and to see what takes place in the city is amazing.and to say thanks for telling it lke it is.

Despite high praise, there are two serious problems: (a) The first new episode is crazy confusing, and (b) over the course of the first batch of episodes, the story lines don't develop quickly enough.
    To me, what allows “The Wire” to surpass “The Sopranos” in the pantheon of greatest American TV shows is its ambition and its anger.
    This is TV as great modern literature, a shattering and heartbreaking urban epic about a city (Baltimore) rotting from within.