The Wire : Season 4

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.5

1. DorianS
    Jan 3, 2007
    The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when The most powerful, most heartbreaking, most intelligent, most empathic, most humanistic, most truthful television series that I have ever watched. The writing on all four seasons of "The Wire" is consistently first rate, with dozens of memorable characters brought to life by the superlative cast. Complex and convoluted (yet never boring) this series demands your complete attention when watching (something that will come quite easily as anyone who has watched this show can attest to), and rewards your investment of time in spades... Expand
  2. AlexandrosL.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Simon has transferred in his play the Balzac's core conception of the plot in which the characters while they seem to act on their own through a Darwinian battle, in fact they are pawns overwhelmed by the dominant forces of the society. A true masterpiece. Art.
  3. SamA
    Jan 9, 2007
    Josh B put it very well, it is a show about something, and it does an excellent job of not making the "hood" or being a gangsta look romantic. It is real and effective. Living in the poorest city in America, Cleveland, I can relate to everything this show explains. Best show on TV
  4. DR
    Sep 6, 2006
    This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after This show is truely the best ever, yes it might sound cliche to say that about this show, but its so true. The first episode of every season is like a new first chapter, so of course its a little confusing at first, but thats the beauty of this show is that it demands your attention and you get rewarded ten fold once you get into it. I loved the season 4 opener, It starts off a year after the last season and is just awesome to see all the characters we have come to love over the years. My favorite show no doubt. Expand
  5. JoshB
    Jan 8, 2007
    Seinfeld was the "show about nothing." This just might be the only show ever that can legitimately be called a "show about something." The Wire reveals every other show for the superficial pap that it is.
  6. MartinM
    Mar 3, 2007
    The Wire is the best TV ever created.
  7. MattH
    Jun 8, 2007
    True dat. I'm from the UK and was tipped off on this. Unlike a lot of the 'top drawer' TV out there now this just gets better and better with each series. Apparently The Wire was written like a novel and series 5 will be the conclusion. How can anything ever better it?
  8. Dave
    Sep 1, 2007
    If Dostoyevsky was still alive - he would be writing for this show.
  9. AnnemarieK.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fantastic, a brilliant drama that gets to the heart of the issues surrounding drugs and crime.
  10. SatoshiK.
    Jan 4, 2008
    "The Wire" is a diamond, no other show even comes close.
  11. CaddyC
    Jan 5, 2008
    The Wire is hands down the greatest televsion series of all time. The Sopranos didn't even come close. Anyone who argues this point obviously knows very little about acting, scripting, editing or directing. This is perfection.
  12. DavidA.
    Sep 16, 2008
    One word: BRILLIANT
  13. CharlesGill
    Nov 28, 2009
    The Best Show ever. Too bad there were no follow up on were some of the characters ended up. I hate this show ended I want more
  14. TomH
    Oct 10, 2006
    I have watched this show from the beginning and I can only say that it is the best television show on today. The writing is first rate and the acting is even better. The stories will make you go through every emotion you have.
  15. duanebraun
    Nov 26, 2006
    this show is awaome and so realistic.my favorite show
  16. DorianP
    Dec 6, 2006
    Best Show ever I cant even think o f a movie I like more.
  17. StefanP
    Sep 10, 2006
    best show i have ever seen. goddamnit, i want to have intercourse with the people who conceptualized this program. it is the sweetest show ever created in the history of modern media. i motherfucking love the wire. god bless baltimore. titties. this show is titties.
  18. KevinW
    Sep 21, 2006
    I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on I love the wire but you almost have to watch it from the first season. Unlike most shows "The Wire" isn't about the characters or the plot. The show is about Baltimore and "the game." So you have to watch it for that, but it makes the show even more enjoyable. Your favorite character who seems to be the spotlight of the show may be dead by the next episode and that just keeps you on your toes. Expand
  19. maryh
    Sep 21, 2006
    This is a show that requires patience and brains; all B story and a 13 episode story arc - unthinkable on "regular" channels. Characters with flaws, soul, issues and, best of all, great acting and incredible writing.
  20. LarToryaH
    Sep 25, 2006
    love this show it's the best thing on tv
  21. bigking
    Sep 29, 2006
    This is currently the best show on the air, period. Hard to think how they could improve it, except by making more episodes
  22. CO
    Sep 7, 2006
    I want to find something flawed in this show, but I just can't Perfect.
  23. KJ
    Sep 7, 2006
    For what the show asks of you, which is simply that you watch, the rewards are unbelievable. The Wire is funny, dark and thought-provoking all at once, and David Simon & Ed Burns are first and foremost incredible storytellers. Some of the reviews tend to make watching The Wire sound like homework, but while the show may be a bit complicated to explain, above all else it's totally For what the show asks of you, which is simply that you watch, the rewards are unbelievable. The Wire is funny, dark and thought-provoking all at once, and David Simon & Ed Burns are first and foremost incredible storytellers. Some of the reviews tend to make watching The Wire sound like homework, but while the show may be a bit complicated to explain, above all else it's totally entertaining. It's fascinating television. Expand
  24. JT
    Sep 7, 2006
    Glad to see this show get its due. Such a sad tale for those 4 boys. Expect to get your heart broken. The wire is what TV should be.
  25. adamg
    Sep 7, 2006
    Televison perfection at it's finest.
  26. GG
    Sep 8, 2006
    I love this show!
  27. WasetR
    Sep 9, 2006
    For me, television could go away forever, as long as on Sunday nights, it came back on to show The Wire. This show is the greatest show ever in the history of television and I tell everyone I know and everyone I meet that very same thing.
  28. C.E.
    Sep 9, 2006
    Great show. I watched all three season (37 episodes) in four days. Can't wait to see the fourth season.
  29. MarcD.
    Sep 9, 2006
    The first episode was everything I expected it to be. And outstanding foundation for another good season. The first season in the Home Depot-type store is priceless. There is simply a level of authenticity in The Wire that no other show on TV can get close to. Only Homicide: LOTS is in the same ballpark. Why the Emmy folks and all those other organizations that complain about the lack of The first episode was everything I expected it to be. And outstanding foundation for another good season. The first season in the Home Depot-type store is priceless. There is simply a level of authenticity in The Wire that no other show on TV can get close to. Only Homicide: LOTS is in the same ballpark. Why the Emmy folks and all those other organizations that complain about the lack of quality roles for African American actors seem to ignore this show is beyond me. Expand
  30. Matt
    Jan 18, 2007
    Greatest show on tv period. It requires max attention but the payoffs are worth it.

Despite high praise, there are two serious problems: (a) The first new episode is crazy confusing, and (b) over the course of the first batch of episodes, the story lines don't develop quickly enough.
    To me, what allows “The Wire” to surpass “The Sopranos” in the pantheon of greatest American TV shows is its ambition and its anger.
    This is TV as great modern literature, a shattering and heartbreaking urban epic about a city (Baltimore) rotting from within.