The Wonder Years : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 31, 1988
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
9.3

1. Mar 4, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the previous (fourth) season of the show which I considered to be the best single campaign in show history, I was kind of expecting a let-down heading into Season Five. Though the season as a whole isn't quite as strong, it still manages to tell some great stories.

My personal highlights included:

-The first day of high school.
    -The episodes involving Karen (Olivia D'Abo) and her live-in boyfriend Michael (David Schwimmer). In terms of "family stories", this was easily the best plot arc of the season, especially relating to Jack Arnold (Dan Lauria).
    -An increased focus on Wayne (Jason Hervey), who to this point in the series had been little more than a "fly in the ointment". In this season, we actually get to see him as a human being.
    -A holiday episode that sees the Arnolds host a Christmas party that just isn't quite the same as yesteryear.
    -Kevin (Fred Savage) getting his drivers license, a growing up right-of-passage.
    -Kevin's dalliance with Cara (Lisa Robinson) at "The Lake".

Though still a part of the show, Winnie (Danica McKellar) and Paul (Josh Saviano) are given less screen time than ever this year. Generally-speaking, the "school-based" episodes of Season Five are pretty poor. It is clear that the writers were reaching a bit (e.g. an episode taking place completely in the lunch room tested my patience severely) in this area. Plus, a "clip show" episode (which I feel is nothing more than lazy) ends the season. That is why I knock a star off the rating scale.

However, when it comes to character and family drama, even in this Fifth Season the show can still pull some great episodes out of the hat. I liken it to "The Office" in similarly-numbered seasons, where many episodes were just "okay" but whenever they seemed to need a "big one" they could always deliver.

Thus, continue to watch "The Wonder Years" with confidence in Season Five. It may drop off a bit from the previous brilliant season, but it still remains a quality show.

There are no critic reviews yet.