• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 10, 1993
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10
8.6

1. Apr 15, 2012
    'The X-Files' was inarguably one of the most influential shows of the 20th century, it delved into the public's lack of trust for the government and the '90s atmosphere of angst and paranoia. The show became a pop culture icon and is a must-watch for any true cinephile.
  2. Dec 12, 2010
    In 1993 the cult phenomenon of txf had its first appearance - but after re-watching the show in 2008 I dare to say that it is still one of my all-time favourites. The first season intelligibly lags behind later ones in terms of sfx (due to its budget and the general technical potential back then) but its overall mood easily is the most eerie/paranoid of the whole series - precisely because it feels so down-to-earth and hand-made. I still appreciate Mark Snow's score or Gillian Anderson's completely unfeminine pantsuits for what they did: They managed to make the improbable seem real because the world these things happened in was what our world looks like outside of the studios. Season 1 raises many questions (& gives only few answers), sets the direction for the rest of the series and got me hooked for nine years and beyond. Expand
  3. May 14, 2013
    The X-Files has certainly raised the bar when it comes to tv shows with consistent and well written episodes. Few tv shows have come close to its quality ever since it first aired in 1993.
  4. Sep 18, 2014
    As with most introductory seasons for a science fiction show, there's some good stuff and bad stuff and it all shows up unpredictably. Usually the writers, actors, directors, etc are all working out what's the best way to use the setting to tell good stories, and that shows here as well I think. Plus, there are some issues with pacing that you get with early 90s shows in general. The style then was usually more comfortable with padding out scenes, and you can sometimes feel it, even when it's a "monster perspective" type of shot that's supposed to be tense. Expand
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    Ah, the 90's. Oh how I wish I could return to the better times. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully is just so amazing for lack of a better word. The way this show was filmed and acted are just simply superb. I love that it's on Netflix instant. Thank you Chris Carter and the whole team!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    still one of my all time fave shows, and a staple to this day thanks to the web. The only reason i didnt give a 10 is because of the last two seasons which are hard to watch, the once great show had devolved into insipid stupidity. Seaons 2-5 or so are some of the best tv ever created IMO.
  7. Jul 6, 2014
    The X-Files approaches the paranormal from an entirely different perspective. The character development is sharp and the season finale is so damn satisfying.
  8. Aug 17, 2014
  9. Nov 14, 2014
    First season is great with all the different monsters and strange things happening. . .

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Jun 26, 2013
    If the producers can keep the mood spooky, this show will have its devoted adherents. Deservedly so.
  2. Reviewed by: David Zurawik
    Feb 20, 2013
    But the paranormal is not what counts. It's the FBI agents who matter -- they're one of TV's most interesting twentysomething couples. [10 Sept 1993, p.1D]
  3. Reviewed by: Greg Dawson
    Feb 20, 2013
    The X-Files gets off to a pleasingly creepy start tonight. But even spookier is the thought that some people will mistake it for a documentary. [10 Sept 1993, p.E1]