Top Gear (US) : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
4.1

1. Oct 18, 2011
    Americans doing Top Gear? I'm sorry but this just DOES NOT WORK. There's no real sense of orignality, character or humour. It is a direct copy of Top Gear UK, and it adds NOTHING new. They literally copy ideas from original top gear. Anyone who actually likes this is clearly a redneck, propaganda-induced American who has never watched original TG.
  2. Nov 22, 2010
    Utter garbage! The show is a terrible mess of everything that was great about the original. The hosts aren't funny, the cars weren't new, the challenges are uninspired and even their Stig has nothing mysterious or amazing about him/her. I cant believe there are another 9 weeks of this drivel!

This incarnation should be scrapped. If you want to watch Top Gear, watch the original. There are already 14 seasons of it already.
  3. TTT
    Aug 19, 2011
    I really don't like this programm because it's repetitive and boring . Yes , good car ... but ... there's nothing else positive.
  4. Jan 1, 2011
    Complete and utter drivel! But we all knew it would be didn't we? How could they have hoped to match the British original? Why even bother, especially when the original is already so popular in the US? UK Top Gear was basically based around Clarksons humour. You can't replicate that without the man himself. Without Clarkson it isn't Top Gear. I'm sick and tired of American TV remakingComplete and utter drivel! But we all knew it would be didn't we? How could they have hoped to match the British original? Why even bother, especially when the original is already so popular in the US? UK Top Gear was basically based around Clarksons humour. You can't replicate that without the man himself. Without Clarkson it isn't Top Gear. I'm sick and tired of American TV remaking classic British TV programs yet missing what made the originals so good. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2010
    This is nothing on the original Top Gear, it feels like a cheap rip off. This show feels like nothing without Clarkson, Hammond and May at the steering wheel. A lot of it feels like it has been staged and badly scripted rather than having actually happened. It's idiotic.
  6. Dec 10, 2010
    I gave it a chance, really - but there is nothing redeeming at all about the US version of Top Gear. It is scripted and forced feeling, the lack of budget is apparent and it is completely devoid of the wit, charm and fluidity that make the UK version so special. Plus, the UK version of Top Gear - except for the rare inclusion of a Vauxhall or FIAT - is completely relevant to US viewers, soI gave it a chance, really - but there is nothing redeeming at all about the US version of Top Gear. It is scripted and forced feeling, the lack of budget is apparent and it is completely devoid of the wit, charm and fluidity that make the UK version so special. Plus, the UK version of Top Gear - except for the rare inclusion of a Vauxhall or FIAT - is completely relevant to US viewers, so a dedicated American version is completely redundant, anyway. Sorry. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2013
    Do yourself a favor and go watch the UK version, there is no comparison between the two. This one is just bad and frankly, not funny. Clarkson, Hammond and May are 200 percent better than the hosts on this show.
  8. Nov 22, 2010
    Honestly, this show makes me embarrassed to be an American. I love the BBC based show and the sometimes silly stunts they do for fun but I really love the chemistry between the hosts and the great car details and tests, but this US version is just horrible. The hosts are like lifeless puppets, no chemistry, no humor, and the Rutledge guy is beyond annoying. Not to mention that if he isHonestly, this show makes me embarrassed to be an American. I love the BBC based show and the sometimes silly stunts they do for fun but I really love the chemistry between the hosts and the great car details and tests, but this US version is just horrible. The hosts are like lifeless puppets, no chemistry, no humor, and the Rutledge guy is beyond annoying. Not to mention that if he is 220 lbs like he claims, I'm a flying monkey. They need to dump the current hosts and start over with cars guys that have some personality and humor. They also need to shoot whoever came up with the Viper vs. AH-1 Cobra stunt as that was stupid and horribly scripted. Jay Leno made the comment that this show would fail in the US due to our TV studios seeming need to fawn over their advertisers and their products and I firmly believe that is why we will never get the witty, edgy qualities that make the UK show so good. Foust is a great driver and may make a decent host if someone can convince me that he is not made of wood when he is out of a car. Fire the other two and get people that have driving experience, instead of an overweight annoyance with a marketing degree and a failed comedian. This is America, there are car guys all over the place. Surely they can find at least three that can be entertaining? They should also fire whatever they are using for writers as this show was very bland and I was really just wanting it to be over with. Keep the time score board for both the featured cars and the guest laps (though the "Big Star In A Small Car" name is ridiculous), keep the stunts but make them at least somewhat believable and get new hosts and this show may cease to be a total embarrassment. Otherwise forget it as it will forever be overshadowed by the much better UK show and will most likely turn into the foolish advertisement show that 90% of all US based car shows become. Expand
  9. Oct 25, 2011
    It's lacks the passion and chemistry that the original even the Australian one has we tried this once before and on prime time and it failed but I guess giving it a second shot might make it better.... I've seen the full first season now and adding cameras and money to the production wont make it better!! Poor choice on the hosts.
  10. Nov 22, 2010
    I've watched nearly 14 full seasons of Top Gear UK, hour long episodes mind you, and in comparison, this show is almost unwatchable. The knowledge and wit of Jeremy Clarkson is gone, the banter of Hammond and May is missing, and for some reason this US Top Gear feels so staged. It's a dumbed-down exposition on "new cars" you've seen already.
  11. Nov 24, 2010
    Watched this for the first time yesterday as I missed the premier on Sunday. Let me tell you I am one of the biggest fans of the original Top Gear and going in I didn't think I would be impressed. I didn't know though that it would be so bad. Most of the problems stem from the hosts. The as rigid as wood and about as interesting. Overall not very good. All the wit and charm of the UK showWatched this for the first time yesterday as I missed the premier on Sunday. Let me tell you I am one of the biggest fans of the original Top Gear and going in I didn't think I would be impressed. I didn't know though that it would be so bad. Most of the problems stem from the hosts. The as rigid as wood and about as interesting. Overall not very good. All the wit and charm of the UK show is gone. They dumb everything down so much that it is an assault to your intelligence. (This being done because it is aimed at southern NASCAR fans.) Also they think 145 MPH is fast. Ehh not very. Plus it is impossible to replace Jeremy Clarkson.

(Also if your going to write a negative review make sure you remember to lower the score. Supergrand wrote a negative review, but gave it a 10. Messes up the rating system.)
  12. Nov 28, 2010
    So completely awful. Top Gear UK infinitely superior. The worst part might be perhaps that they should have realized that their carbon copy of the UK show is a complete sham. At that point perhaps they could have taken the show in a different direction and made it their own unique beast, something that stands on it's own. They ignore the UK show completely while at the same time mimicSo completely awful. Top Gear UK infinitely superior. The worst part might be perhaps that they should have realized that their carbon copy of the UK show is a complete sham. At that point perhaps they could have taken the show in a different direction and made it their own unique beast, something that stands on it's own. They ignore the UK show completely while at the same time mimic every centimeter of the UK show and even try to throw in some really lame jokes about the "Brits" - I'm well aware Clarkson makes jokes about Americans on the show, but it's so tongue in cheek it's charming, when the US hosts make a joke about it, it falls flat on it's face and then explodes. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2010
    I love Top Gear UK, but this is utter crap. Sort of like the neon orange cheese product known as American cheese - a cheap, Americanized imitation of the original. After the 60 Minutes special featuring the British host Jeremy Clarkson I was afraid this would happen. Total blasphemy! Just another vehicle for parasitic commercials. Cars in American culture = NASCAR and hulking, poorlyI love Top Gear UK, but this is utter crap. Sort of like the neon orange cheese product known as American cheese - a cheap, Americanized imitation of the original. After the 60 Minutes special featuring the British host Jeremy Clarkson I was afraid this would happen. Total blasphemy! Just another vehicle for parasitic commercials. Cars in American culture = NASCAR and hulking, poorly constructed SUVs. Molding Top Gear around that is, like most of American media, inane and missing the point. Don't be fooled. This is most definitely NOT Top Gear! Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2010
    This show may hit its stride but as of now it is a cheap and awkward knock-off of the UK version. Part of this comes from the fact that there aren't many exciting cars coming out of the US compared to Europe, but if you aren't familiar with the original you might enjoy it, however it is unmistakably a poor excuse for a car show when the precedent has already been set.
  15. Jun 28, 2012
    one of the worst car show i have ever seen,and they are trying to be funny,they will never be like the original show,without Hammond Jeremy and Clarkson OMG it's the worst, they are .......

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: John Young
    Dec 10, 2010
    The automobile-enthusiast program may lack the British wit of the original series, but it's beautifully shot, just as silly, and nearly as much fun. [26 Nov 2010, p.68]
  2. Newsday
    Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Dec 9, 2010
    Who knew beautiful, obscenely expensive cars could be so much fun? These three guys do, and they effortlessly convey their knowledge and nutty passion.
  3. Reviewed by: Tricia Olszewski
    Dec 9, 2010
    It doesn't help that the vehicles reviewed thus far aren't surprising (Lamborghinis, Mustangs, Aston Martins), but the shenanigans the hosts set up for themselves can be thrilling.