Top Gear (US) : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
4.1

1. Dec 17, 2010
    All the Fanboys of the UK Top Gear totally loose their credibility as soon as they compare the US and UK Top Gears. Yes the UK version is amazing, and I love ever bit of it, except the Celebrity in the crap car. But do you remember the first season of UK Top Gear, it was just as cheap and mediocre. Saying that, I for one like the US Top Gear, sure it isn't as good, but what else do we haveAll the Fanboys of the UK Top Gear totally loose their credibility as soon as they compare the US and UK Top Gears. Yes the UK version is amazing, and I love ever bit of it, except the Celebrity in the crap car. But do you remember the first season of UK Top Gear, it was just as cheap and mediocre. Saying that, I for one like the US Top Gear, sure it isn't as good, but what else do we have in America, Car and Driver tv/ Motor Trend, lol. Wait one or two more seasons and this show will turn into exactly what you miss about UK Top Gear. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2010
    Considering that this is only the start of Top Gear US, the hosts can seem a bit wooden and a there is a lack of chemistry that is so well loved about Top Gear UK. However, given time and practice I believe that Top Gear US can be just as great in its own way. After watching the first two episodes, I believe that TGUS will turn into a great show by the 3rd or 4th episode. While it is hardConsidering that this is only the start of Top Gear US, the hosts can seem a bit wooden and a there is a lack of chemistry that is so well loved about Top Gear UK. However, given time and practice I believe that Top Gear US can be just as great in its own way. After watching the first two episodes, I believe that TGUS will turn into a great show by the 3rd or 4th episode. While it is hard to follow the success of the UK show, it is obvious that by using the UK show as a guide for the first season of the US show, there can only be success for the US show. Expand
  3. Dec 6, 2010
    A fresh take on the UK show. The presenters are great being both younger and fresher than the UK hosts. I am a big fan of the UK show but it has become a bit cliched and frankly tired. The US version recaptures some of the vitality of the early Top gear UK episodes. The US hosts are likable fun guys who will hopefully grow on the audience as the original hosts did in the UK original.
  4. Dec 24, 2010
    I've watched all 17 seasons (to date) of the original UK Top Gear and am a huge fan of that series.
    I think this US version knows the massive hill it has to climb to gain acceptance with American fans of the UK series, and while it will probably never match that level of humor, success, and camera work, it is already starting to grow on me and after five episodes (to date), I already find myself looking forward to more. The cast isn't as good (but really who could be), the dialogue is lower brow, a lot of the bits are regurgitated from the UK show, it lacks the level of depth and history the UK show provides on a given topic, and the camera work is more ADHD visual soundbyte style as one might expect to keep an American audience's attention, but even in spite of all these things it's not half bad and I hope they get the viewership ratings needed to approve a second season. I think after they have one under their belt and can start to fine tune things, they have a chance at real success. And honestly, if you go back and watch the first couple seasons of the UK Top Gear with Clarkson, you'll notice it took them a while to get into a groove and find the humor and visuals that make that show what it is today. You'll also note the casting changes that came along with it. So give it time and we may be pleasantly surprised. Or disgusted. We shall see. =)
  5. Dec 29, 2010
    It's not as good as the British version yet but it's not bad. I was really afraid they were going to screw this up but they did a good job. Once they get a few episodes under their belt, I expect the show will rate an 8 or 9.
  6. Dec 30, 2010
    I have been watching every single remake of top gear (including the Russian version) and when I watched the first episode of Top Gear US it didn't quite appeal to me, however I did see the potential it had.
    Little did I know that their potential would bloom in the first season. After watching the last two episodes of this series I was amazed. Yes it's a copy, but they brought it over quite nicely. I say, if you watched the first episode and left it alone, give it a shot and watch the rest, they are trying really hard and honestly, people forget that the original top gear took 3 series to be interesting, this one took ONE!
  7. Jan 6, 2011
    the show i find quite amusing and a really good television program, yes it's not exactly a children's program but let the older ones have their entertainment
  8. Jan 24, 2011
    Top Gear US is in a very similar place to where Top Gear UK was in its first season, except these folks were able to see and learn from some of the mistakes of the original show. I must admit I was sorely disappointed with the first episode, but I was duly impressed by the growth and improvement every following episode. I give this show a positive rating because I see its potential and howTop Gear US is in a very similar place to where Top Gear UK was in its first season, except these folks were able to see and learn from some of the mistakes of the original show. I must admit I was sorely disappointed with the first episode, but I was duly impressed by the growth and improvement every following episode. I give this show a positive rating because I see its potential and how fast it is growing to reach that 'sweet spot' in this very special genre of TV shows. Expand
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I never watched the UK version of this show, I see a lot of people who watch the UK version of the show not necessarily like the US version. I have to say I love this show. I find the 3 hosts are a great ensemble group and a great thing to watch. I will also let you know that while I love and am interested in cars I know very little about them, So when theyLet me start off by saying that I never watched the UK version of this show, I see a lot of people who watch the UK version of the show not necessarily like the US version. I have to say I love this show. I find the 3 hosts are a great ensemble group and a great thing to watch. I will also let you know that while I love and am interested in cars I know very little about them, So when they talk about the cars I don't mind that they go into to much detail. The next thing I love about the show is the trips and the challenges I find them interesting and very fun to watch.

Overall I would say if you have not seen the UK version of the show and you are not a super car enthusiast but interested in cars and what a few laughs while you watch I would recommend this show, I have to say I love it.
  10. Sep 23, 2011
    Personally I think this show is great, and way better than the UK (American car bashing) version. Those who gave it a poor review probably all drive imported cars, and are to close minded to have ever owned a good American car. I was a fan of the UK Top Gear until I noticed a trend... They bash EVERYTHING American made, and this makes all there car reviews null and void IMHO. The USPersonally I think this show is great, and way better than the UK (American car bashing) version. Those who gave it a poor review probably all drive imported cars, and are to close minded to have ever owned a good American car. I was a fan of the UK Top Gear until I noticed a trend... They bash EVERYTHING American made, and this makes all there car reviews null and void IMHO. The US version is very balanced and true to the real car fanatic. The hosts are giving very accurate, non-biased, reviews on all cars regardless of what country that it is made in, and that is what makes it 10 times better then the UK Top Gear show.

To DerKrieger, about your comment meant to imply all those who are either from the south or like NASCAR are dumb... Very much a inaccurate stereotype and a very close minded, unintelligent statement in general from someone who cannot even get popular phrases correct. In your review the proper phase use should of been "An insult to your intelligence" or "An assault on your intelligence" not " an assault to your intelligence." But how does a "Dumb Southerner" as myself know better than some obvious Liberal Jackass???
  11. Sep 24, 2011
    Most people gave this show a bad review simply because of they're loyalty (For whatever reason) to the UK version of Top Gear.

I was skeptical at first when watching the previews for the show, but after the first few episodes I have become a fan. The show is actually very good. Especially considering all the pressure and negative feedback the show received before it even aired. Top Gear

The show is actually very good. Especially considering all the pressure and negative feedback the show received before it even aired. Top Gear USA gives attention to many cars that would not have a chance to make the UK show and also gives great insight on the newest toys available.

I've enjoyed all of the challenges they've done for both seasons and I hope they make a season 3.
  12. Apr 30, 2012
    I think that not enough people have given it a chance. I also think that people are comparing the American version to the UK version too much and they need to realize they are two different shows. Having that said, I agree the producers need to think up some new ideas because quite a few of their challenges were close if not the same as some challenges from the UK. Overall, I would sayI think that not enough people have given it a chance. I also think that people are comparing the American version to the UK version too much and they need to realize they are two different shows. Having that said, I agree the producers need to think up some new ideas because quite a few of their challenges were close if not the same as some challenges from the UK. Overall, I would say that they would need some warming up, but give them a season or two and I think they'll be great! Expand

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: John Young
    Dec 10, 2010
    The automobile-enthusiast program may lack the British wit of the original series, but it's beautifully shot, just as silly, and nearly as much fun. [26 Nov 2010, p.68]
  2. Newsday
    Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    Dec 9, 2010
    Who knew beautiful, obscenely expensive cars could be so much fun? These three guys do, and they effortlessly convey their knowledge and nutty passion.
  3. Reviewed by: Tricia Olszewski
    Dec 9, 2010
    It doesn't help that the vehicles reviewed thus far aren't surprising (Lamborghinis, Mustangs, Aston Martins), but the shenanigans the hosts set up for themselves can be thrilling.