• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 25, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.0

1. May 29, 2012
    Touch is a show that will truly leave you in awe after every episode. Touch is the best and most thought provoking show on Fox. Even those who normally dislike shows of this genre will watch Touch. You will never want to turn it off.
  2. Jul 2, 2012
    Heroes creator Tim Kring brings Kiefer Sutherland back to the small screen in Touch, another ambitiously global and far-reaching series bearing all the hallmarks of a Kring production.

Touch tells the story of 9/11 widower struggling to raise his 11 year old son Jake, a mute introverted boy gifted with numbers. Jake is placed in supervisory care just as his father, Martin (Sutherland),
    realises that Jake's repetitive numbered scribblings are an attempt to communicate with him. During each episode Martin follows his son's instructions and 'follows the numbers' all the while trying to protect his son from sinister forces after him for their own gain.

The writers struggle to really portray what it actually is that Jake is capable of seeing and why he needs his father to correct things in the world through 'butterfly effect' actions to stop the pain he feels. The butterfly effect and red thread theory (that those who impact on others in the world by the butterfly effect are connected by an invisible red thread that must never break) are explored throughout the series, and each episode begins and ends with Jake narrating philosophy and theory.

However, by focusing on global as well as character specific issues to illustrate the complexity of the science, the number of single episode characters is high and it can be difficult to care about random characters in Iraq, Brazil or China on a one-off basis.

The season premiere was a fantastic start to the show, however the coincidences, or not as the case may be, do become to be slightly predictable as the season continues. Towards the end of the season, this predictability is balanced by the story arc of Martin trying to investigate who his after Jake and what for.

Sutherland plays the troubled father with great sincerity and care although his character becomes annoyingly anxious as he is led into predicament after predicament by Jake. The one way dialogue also began to grate slightly towards the end of the season. Danny Glover played an interesting character and I felt it was a shame he didn't make it as a regular character. Credit must also go to 11 year old David Mazouz for his portrayal of Jake.

The season ended strongly and it looks as though Martin and Jake have found a new ally in their search for answers. The show has been renewed for a second season and it will be interesting how the Kring moves the action along given the events of the season finale (let's hope it is better than season two of Heroes).
  3. Mar 23, 2012
    The main point of view of the show is definitely amazing but it should have been more thrilling and fast . Touch is maybe the most "Brilliant Boring" show i have ever seen . I think its too childish and slow to enjoy every minute . Tim's Heroes was amazing but this wont be like that !
  4. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a brilliant show. The way everything comes together at the end of the "first" episode is amazing. The acting could use a boost, its a bit sub-par, but man is Jake an absolute genius. The way everything comes together, and all of the storylines clash is just like the movie Crash. Its absolutely brilliant. This show really shows us that anything is possible. This show definitely makes me look forward to thursdays. 8.5/10 Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    Jake! Jake! Jake! Jake! Jeez, if I hear "Jake!" one more time, I'm going to go mad. I've even caught myself counting the number of times the Sutherland character utters it, a very bad sign. Can't the writers come up with something less repetitive and maybe a few synonyms for "wait!" as well? And what about his autistic son's intolerance for physical touch? Yeah, I realize that's tied in to the theme of the series, but are we ever going to get beyond the threat of his going ballistic whenever it happens? Again, writers please come up with some alternatives to this gutteral screaming scenario, will you, puhleeeze? Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2012
    It's good every episode ha a pretty cool plot toit .and it's a tv serries that doesnt change much like some do some tv serries will draw you in on the 1st episode then kind of go down hill from there this one doesn't do that, I would like to see another season happen .
  7. Oct 2, 2012
    A bit melodramatic for my tastes.

Also, the shows intro has Jake narrating how it's his job to keep track of the "numbers" and connect people who need to be connected. I felt part of the intro was awkward as there is no reason (clear or implied) why Jake decided its his job to make these connections for people. My first impressions are the show is a mix of pseudo-science, high school
    geometry, and the new age spirituality movement.

Anybody who enjoys the show Fringe will probably enjoy Touch as they both have the same feel / vibe to me.
  8. Jan 8, 2013
    This show tries to be sentimental and tear-jerking and fails miserably. I am personally familiar with autism as a disorder and the way the show portrays it is both unrealistic and mildly insulting. Sutherland is over the top with his performance, but not in a good way. There are many better shows for me to continue wasting my time on this series.
  9. May 28, 2012
    I am surprised at these scores! Thankfully, this series has been renewed. I love this show.. I love the originality and the mystery... keeps me coming back every week. This show deserves a TEN,
  10. Jul 1, 2012
    The events in every week of this show are so incredulous that you cant help but "switch off" to having any reaction to the suspense it tries to instill. Every week the father races against time and ridiculously improbable sets of events ... and he always gets there in the nick of time ... it always ends of some sappy note which is so sugary that i feel like throwing up.
  11. Mar 29, 2012
    No one listen to ajlondon he's just butthurt about knowing that this is better than 24. But seriously it's worth a watch even if you just watch it as a time passer every week it's still worth a watch.
  12. Apr 6, 2012
    I cannot feel for these characters...when Jake was dangling from the tower I did not care if he fell or not. The father is a little over the top with high anxiety. I will give this show one more try. There is just too much good tv out there to waste my time on this show
  13. Apr 14, 2013
    A very good programme based around something quite interesting. One of the main actors is one of my favourite actors Kiether Sutherland seen as he was in 24.
  14. Mar 22, 2012
    From what I have seen so far , this is utterly brilliant.The story is intelligent and engaging.One of the best things I have watched in a long time.How the story links together is good and the acting is pretty good.
  15. Mar 27, 2012
    I found it difficult to take seriously, right from the intro where the kid claims "most people don't realize there's a pattern in plants and seashells". Really? Well most people clearly are idiots, then. There doesn't seem to be any direct connection between the plot points other than the fact they're tied together by Jake's powers, so if (like me) you like it when things actually make sense and get resolved - you might be disappointed. Other negative points for me were the obligatory 911 reference, and the poor European acting (so people living in Dublin refer to their city as "Dublin, Ireland" do they?). I didn't even finish watching the first episode, which either disqualifies me from reviewing it, or forms the lynch-pin of my review. You decide! Expand
  16. Feb 1, 2013
    I think it is excellent TV, and I can not wait to see how it evolves. Kiefer could not whisper so much but other than that, brilliant. Thanks for the entertainment.
  17. Mar 26, 2012
    This show is a high-tech Mr. Magoo. It's ridicolous. I love science fiction and difficult or mind-stretching idead. Thirteenth Floor, Matrix, Dark City. All of which had original and mind-blowing concepts
    This is just a show that correlates a bunch of random actions into a story.
    There is a BIG DIFFERENCE. And people who are calling this a brilliant show, are either youg, don't
    watch a lot of science-fiction or not very smart. WIth all that said, it is still entertaining, and not a horrible, boring can't stand to watch it show. It's just 'meh'. Collapse
  18. Mar 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My mom had this on when I was visiting a week or so ago, and unwittingly ended up watching it. It is basically different stories that have happy endings because a silent autistic boy runs around and his father tries to follow him and figure out what his son wants him to do. I saw the ridiculous amount of commercials beforehand, and thought it would be an interesting concept, but the actual product was horrible. None of the stories were interesting or thought provoking, they are just overly sentimental. Like a child who gets upset that his father is a gangster, and at the request of his son the gangster stops hurting people. The connections between the stories are loose at best, and the story does nothing to really draw you in. It was like lassie, if lassie was an autistic boy, and instead of saving Tommy's life he runs around and gets his dad to do things like move baseball bats, and call phone numbers. It would maybe be more interesting if they went more in depth with why the boy has this ability. But honestly, even if I do this I would have no interest in watching it. Very disappointing. Expand
  19. Apr 3, 2012
    So far from what i have seen so far is an excellent mind bending masterpiece, if the rest of the show resembles the first three episodes then i would say this story has the potential to be the best show i have ever seen, and i watch alot of shows.
  20. Apr 13, 2012
    interesting premise but doesn't follow through. Terrible pseudoscience shoved down the viewers throats. Terrible actiing especially with Kiefer Sutherland being like a TV Nick Cage.
  21. May 3, 2012
    Amazingly composed. I love the story line; it keeps revealing secrets beyond my expectations. Not to mention, the story also makes you wonder about those numbers and sequences. It's amazing!
  22. May 3, 2012
    JAKE!!!!!! JAKE!!!!!!!! JAKE!!!!!!! Show is okay, but I can't take Kiefer's character screaming for his son that we all know will not respond in any way. It is crazy, but this is my main reason for not wanting to watch it anymore.
  23. May 16, 2012
    A great introduction to mathematics and entanglement theory for people who've never heard of such things. Those of us who've been all over the world may be able to relate to how small the world really is and how many lives we touch and how we can end up changing the world in some major ways. Touch really goes all out in describing how even the smallest things can impact the greatest changes. It details information that sounds like just spices for a tasty story, but many facts are actually true. I find myself, as a father, feeling for the struggle of a parent to relate to a child and worried that a system that cannot possibly understand desires to take you away before you can make that connection and progress. The use of multiple characters to break down the complexities of the math and theories and the story telling itself assisting is stunning. Frankly, my 9 year old daughter sits with me and stays glued to the TV the whole time and she asks questions about a lot of it after and I get to introduce her to why math is important and so is just being a good person. If she can understand that, I can't see why others can't. Expand
  24. Apr 7, 2013
    The first season was great but in the second one, it lose all the good things and became boring and predictable. If you want to see it I recommend only the first season.
  25. May 13, 2013
    I am a little confused by the priests reference to "the thirty six", and his argument that to save the world he has to kill them all, surely the Jewish legend which refers to the thirty six says that in order for the world to survive there have to be 'at least' thirty six Righteous Men. If my recollection is correct there is no reference to these being of superior intellect, merely that they be righteous However if the writers are choosing to replace righteous with superior intellect then fair enough, but this still does not explain why the priest wants to kill them, as this would, according to legend, bring about the end of the world, and not, as he claims, save it Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    Mar 22, 2012
    Unfortunately, [Sutherland's] disciplined performance is done in by an undisciplined show that moves too slowly to put limits on Jake's powers.
  2. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Mar 22, 2012
    In some parts, Touch is pleasantly moving and even tightly woven, until it becomes too blunt in its purposeful yanking of heartstrings.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 16, 2012
    The one great redemptive asset--and it's significant--is Kiefer Sutherland. [26 Mar 2012, p.41]