Treme : Season 2

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 11, 2010
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
7.7

1. Apr 28, 2011
    What I -- and most other folks -- loved about David Simon's "The Wire" was the writing, the stories. Everything flowed from that. "Treme" is "The Wire" without the writing. Where is the tension? When is the show going to break out of this slow (but beautifully filmed, beautifully acted, beautifully scored) journey? Unless there is going to be a shift in its direction I can't imagineWhat I -- and most other folks -- loved about David Simon's "The Wire" was the writing, the stories. Everything flowed from that. "Treme" is "The Wire" without the writing. Where is the tension? When is the show going to break out of this slow (but beautifully filmed, beautifully acted, beautifully scored) journey? Unless there is going to be a shift in its direction I can't imagine there will be another season. Case in point: John Goodman's Creighton Bernette drifted through season one without developing into a character we wanted to care about, and it wasn't John Goodman's fault. Yes, we got the whole "I'm pissed what's happened to my city" schtick, but that was the extent of his character? Really? Bernette, and many of the other characters, come across as permanently one dimensional -- more similar to characters in "Law and Order" than "Breaking Bad", the current gold standard for shows with great stories.

With such as awesome cast (thank G-d Khandi Alexander's back on the TV) and a potential as wide and long as the MIssissippi, "Treme" could be much better, much much better.
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The Wire which was written by the creator of Treme. I watched last season and the first episode of season two hoping for character and story devlopment I might care about. It never gave me a real plot that I saw or really likeable characters. I am done with the show. I gave it a real chance to hook me and it never did.

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Apr 28, 2011
    It takes awhile to adjust to the dissonance, but the muted naturalism of the superb cast draws us in. [9 May 2011, p.40]
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Apr 25, 2011
    From scene to scene, Treme is novelistic in the best sense--a long, complex, involving story that takes a while to settle into, but that you can't put down and don't want to end.
  3. Reviewed by: Jesse Hicks
    Apr 25, 2011
    Simon's Treme is an equally astute portrait of "an urban people" still struggling to come back from a brink.