• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 5, 2013
7.0

1. Apr 6, 2013
    I love the uncensored aspect of Vice. The topics they cover cannot be truly understood censored. This is information we need to see. Just wish it was an hour long program not 30 minutes.
  2. Apr 30, 2013
    My high hopes for this series have quickly turned into disgust and embarrassment for America. The short skits portrayed in this series are nothing more than exploitation's of other cultures and their apparent issues at hand. There is some truth to the matters at hand, but as an American that has lived in several of these places and experienced firsthand what is actually happening, I canMy high hopes for this series have quickly turned into disgust and embarrassment for America. The short skits portrayed in this series are nothing more than exploitation's of other cultures and their apparent issues at hand. There is some truth to the matters at hand, but as an American that has lived in several of these places and experienced firsthand what is actually happening, I can safely say that this team of media investigators has embellished the truth on more than one occasion, as so many American so called "journalists" these days do. The majority of viewers have never and never will experience for themselves, which is why I must give this show a "0". It's a truly shameful portrayal of the usual cliches being touted in the news as "real" news, which it blatantly is not. Edgy it tries to be, edgy (once again) it fails at. Showing a few dead bodies laying around a street doesn't give you any "street" cred in my book. Just more exploitation of others in hopes of achieving some shock value ratings points.

Interestingly, none of the skits (thus far) focus on America. We've got just as many, if not more, far worse problems, atrocities, corruption and misjustice happening daily in our own backyards. I'm inclined to believe the show could be much more informative, useful and believable (if not simply provable) if this were the case. I think it's pretty obvious why this show puts the focus on everyone else but our own society.

Sorry HBO but I would much rather watch the more factual 'Rome, 'How to make it in America or the 'Sopranos than this fabrication. Oh wait, you cancelled all of those! DOH
  3. Apr 17, 2013
    This show could be a game changer in every way. I really hope it gets the buzz it deserves. Vice, you guys are my heroes and thank you for fighting the good fight! Keep it up
  4. Sep 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. E S C A L O F R I A N T E (Shocking, thrilling). What the hell is going on in this planet? It is unbelievable what happens in some parts of the world. I'm lucky to live far away from the areas they show here...by now. Expand
  5. May 9, 2013
    Fantastic all around. Gonzo journalism for the 21st century. It's not so much that VICE is handling issues that aren't covered by other news outlets. Rather, they're trying to do it more personally. They're less concerned with pinpoint accuracy, and more concerned with the human element that is buried within these harsh, often gritty, complicated political and cultural issues that theyFantastic all around. Gonzo journalism for the 21st century. It's not so much that VICE is handling issues that aren't covered by other news outlets. Rather, they're trying to do it more personally. They're less concerned with pinpoint accuracy, and more concerned with the human element that is buried within these harsh, often gritty, complicated political and cultural issues that they attempt to tackle.

The only real downside to the entire show is that they're constrained to half an hour. If they had a full, hour long time slot, they could show much more content, and portray things more "professionally." But then it might lose some of the creativity that the unique presentations bring. This is 60 Minutes without the censorship, with none of the fluff of mainstream media.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    Shane Smith and Vice give us slightly sensational but incredibly raw and new reporting on subjects often swept under the rug. The locations and people they come across raise geopolitical awareness of problems we all must help fix.
  7. May 5, 2015
    OK I've had it with this show and what they apparently call "news reporting".

OK I've had it with this show and what they apparently call "news reporting".

The special on cancer was interesting, admittedly, but since then every episode has been disappointing, to say the least. The show tries way too hard to be cool, with this "OH look at their problems over there, not my own right here", hipster mock/shock style of journalism that is. PLEASE Vice, if you're reading this, try sticking to REAL issues in America and the rest of the world, not this fabricated shock-for-ratings nonsense.

For example, take your latest episode on China. "Everyone in China wants a white servant"?!! What a load of crap!! They do NOT want white servants, they want Chinese servants, because the service is much much better and there are no complaints while doing their jobs.

One condescending scene after another... well, I lived and worked in there for 6 years, travelling all around the country, from corner to corner and everywhere in between, so I know a thing or two about the place. Instead of "reporting" on how "stupid" and "shallow" Chinese people are (actually, it is Chinese culture to be friendly to foreigners, to save "face"... thats all it really was), you should have focussed on the American losers who are taking advantage of a cultures friendliness, pretending to be "rock stars" (common phrase in China) and committing these fraudulent crimes. "Criminal bums from America, scamming in China"... "Westerners are at it again, ruining yet ANOTHER culture".. THAT is the real story.

The funniest thing about that episode is that your team think they're SO clever, but in reality I can guarantee you the Chinese people were laughing at your ignorance, behind your backs of course (the "face" thing). Get a clue.

I for one wont be watching again.

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Apr 5, 2013
    It's the sloppy approach to context and the tabloid-y aspects of Vice that are ultimately harder to take than the self-aggrandizing bro-ness of it all.
  2. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Apr 5, 2013
    In a world that has exploded with instantaneously accessible information, television news is hard-pressed to figure out how to keep up. It takes a show like Vice to make other news magazine shows seem like they belong in a TV antiques shop.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Apr 5, 2013
    What Vice offers is not deep or thorough, but it is not without value. The news comes in pieces now; to get the full picture, you have to assemble it yourself.