Bust-A-Move Universe 3DS

4.8

1. Apr 11, 2011
    Believe it or not, this was the game I was most looking forward to at launch. This is because my only other experience with the Bust-A-Move series was the stellar DS version (Bust-A-Move DS, not the more recent B-A-M release). The reason I love the DS game so much is it's robust multiplayer options and the fact that you shoot your bubbles via the touch screen like a sling-shot. IBelieve it or not, this was the game I was most looking forward to at launch. This is because my only other experience with the Bust-A-Move series was the stellar DS version (Bust-A-Move DS, not the more recent B-A-M release). The reason I love the DS game so much is it's robust multiplayer options and the fact that you shoot your bubbles via the touch screen like a sling-shot. I expected it to be more of the same, only in 3D, and to have this game for the life of my 3DS system, like I did and do with B-A-M DS.

What I got was a very barebones game with NO touch screen controls and NO multiplayer. The game controls with the D-pad and shoulder buttons, which I assume is how all other B-A-M games control other than the DS version. This would be great if it were all I knew, but it's not. Knowing that there's a much more fun way to play was very deflating. As far as the lack of multiplayer goes, that's a crime. I believe head-to-head has been a part of the series for some time now, and with the great multiplayer offered in the DS version, it seriously just makes me sad because this game is such a wasted opportunity.

On the plus side, it does adequately function as a Bust-A-Move game, and the 3D graphics look cool and colorful. As far as features go, this game is seriously lacking. There are two main game modes and some metals or something to collect for meeting certain criteria. However, these metals do nothing. In closing, stay away from this game at all costs. With Bust-A-Move DS able to be played on your new 3DS system, you'd be better off playing that and enjoying yourself, knowing that the added 3D graphics aren't worth all you'd have to give up.
  2. Apr 11, 2011

1. May 28, 2011
    With its lower price point, Bust-A-Move Universe was supposed to be a no-brainer for puzzle fans to pick up alongside their new 3DS consoles. The core of the game is still brilliant in its design and just as addictive as it ever was. However, the lack of modes and the reduction in difficulty has created a title that feels like a huge step backward for the franchise. If you don't mind the lack of multiplayer and are perfectly content with what's available here, try renting Universe. Otherwise, it's best to wait around and see if a new version will rectify the mistakes in this one.
  2. May 23, 2011
    Puzzle Bobble Universe's main faults lie in the lack of content and uninspired 3D effects. However, the gameplay will still be fun and appealing to a lot of gamers, especially those that haven't had the chance to experience a Puzzle Bobble game before.
  3. Nintendo Gamer