Cave Story 3DS

• Release Date: Oct 4, 2012
  • Also On: PC
8.5

1. Mar 2, 2014
    Cave Story is a genuinely timeless -- and utterly sublime -- 2D adventure that really should be experienced by as many core gamers as possible. But nearly eighteen months since it's NA release, why is it still not available on the EU eShop? And and while I'm at it, Cave Story really needs to come to the Wii U eShop too. I own it on pretty much every platform on which it's ever beenCave Story is a genuinely timeless -- and utterly sublime -- 2D adventure that really should be experienced by as many core gamers as possible. But nearly eighteen months since it's NA release, why is it still not available on the EU eShop? And and while I'm at it, Cave Story really needs to come to the Wii U eShop too. I own it on pretty much every platform on which it's ever been released, and moving forward, I intend to continue that trend. Yes, it really is *that* good. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    Awesome game! Though I only ever beat it on easy...... ONCE I have gotten to the end on normal mode, but I can never get past Misery, and even IF I beat her, I will most defiantly die on the Doctor. I even made it through the hard cave.... thing (whatever its called) to get here!
  3. Feb 4, 2013
    One of the greatest games ever, now for download on the eShop, this great title looks even better with the 3D effect that make the sprites come to life even more. One of the jewels in the indie department. Get it now!
  4. Aug 14, 2014
    probably the best indie game there is.

gameplay: so f***ing addictive 10
    graphics: beautiful (yes i love 8-16 bits visuals more than the high-tech stuff we have now) 10
    sounds: amazing 10
  5. Jun 24, 2015
    this game could have been more Longer... because of how AWESOME it is!

I loved the Retro Graphics, The Metroidvania Exploration, the Soundtrack, Gameplay and the story can in the beginning be Lazy and meh... but then becomes kind of dark...

one of the best 3DS eShop games to Date
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Him - "Cave Story is better than Metroid"

Me ( die-hard Metroid fan ) - *cocks gun* "whadju say?"

*shows me game* I beat it in a casual week.

*head explodes. mind blown*

Him - "You actually made this vague crappy dialogue a full review?"

Me - *still dead*
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    Cave Story is what happens when a labor of love becomes an all endearing project. Originally a indie PC title out of Japan, Cave Story has since been released officially on PC with extra's and new music. It also received a 3DS physical release with loads of extra's and a new graphics engine. This release is just the bare-bones version you can get for free on the PC, but the price to playCave Story is what happens when a labor of love becomes an all endearing project. Originally a indie PC title out of Japan, Cave Story has since been released officially on PC with extra's and new music. It also received a 3DS physical release with loads of extra's and a new graphics engine. This release is just the bare-bones version you can get for free on the PC, but the price to play it portable is $10. Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes. Cave Story is a special kind of game with a very old-school feel. The platforming is fun and challenging, the weapons are upgradeable and interchangeable, the enemies are varied and challenging, and the art style is glorious 16-bit heaven. It feels like someone pulled this game out of the SNES era in a very good way. My personal opinion would be to try and get the physical version for the 3DS, but this one is easier to get, cheaper (but without any extras), and just as good. 9/10 Expand
  8. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best 2D platformer I've played, tied with Megaman X. The controls are smooth, the mechanics are solid, the game is beautiful, the music makes me orgasm whenever I listen to it, the plot is gripping, and the challenge is PERFECT. This game is, above all, memorable. I can sing any song from this game if you tell me where it plays. I can remember how many times I attempted the Sacred Grounds: 68 tries, 20 to Ballos, 15 to second form, 8 to third, and, of course, one win. I just...
    Love it so much.
    And it was made by one dude? YESSS.
  9. Dec 8, 2014
    If you've played the freeware/wii version before, you'll find it tough to see at first. Quote is literally a 10x10 square of pixels, and can sometimes be hard to see.
    The controls feel nice, but I often used the directional keys because of an imprecise up aiming with the circle pad.
    The music is fantastic and essentially one of the best things of this game by far. The gameplay feel very
    The gameplay feel very metroid-ish.
    It has a lot of replay-ability because there are multiple endings, each with individual differences.
    However, each playthrough should take an avid gamer about 3-4 hours (if they get the bad ending)
    I say it's worth your time, however, because the jukebox feature is fun and I enjoyed the 3D touches during boss fights.
    Kudos, Nicalis.
  10. Oct 14, 2014
    I never cried while playing a game, but with Cave Story, i came close. While playing, you learn to love the characters and many little secrets make it worth playing through multiple times. I died pretty often while playing, but i would not say that the game is too hard, there are just maybe too much instakill-spikes. This is probably one of the best Indie games ever.
  11. Nov 19, 2015
    In my personal opinion not only one of the most influential games for the indie game genre, but the best game ever made. Few games have reached the tier of mastery that Cave Story resides on, and few more ever will. The fact that it was made by one determined guy is very impressive and you really can feel all the love, heart, and soul he put into the game to make it the masterpiece it isIn my personal opinion not only one of the most influential games for the indie game genre, but the best game ever made. Few games have reached the tier of mastery that Cave Story resides on, and few more ever will. The fact that it was made by one determined guy is very impressive and you really can feel all the love, heart, and soul he put into the game to make it the masterpiece it is today. Mind blowing soundtrack that really gets you involved in the game and a fantastic and gripping story that feels real and natural. The whole game doesn't circle around you, and you feel along for the ride changing whatever you can to benefit the greater good. The world that the game creates is deep and involving and leaves much to the imagination. Cave Story's characters are colorful and diverse, ranging from the rabbit-like people called mimigas to the humans residing on the island. I won't spoil anything but my first time playing the game I was really worried that my favorite character was going to die. Every time something little happened to her I jumped. With death and despair all around me I felt like she was the only thing pulling me through and motivating me to keep going. I won't tell what eventually happens, but it is quite unexpected. The game is, on top of all that, the perfect length, not too long and not too short. I have played through the game 15+ times and I am ready to do it again. Cave Story has been and will most likely always be my favorite game of all time and I will absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, deep, and heartfelt experience. If I could give it higher than a ten I would. Expand

1. Mar 11, 2013
    It is a well-designed, challenging, fun, evocative experience that rewards multiple play-throughs.
  2. Oct 5, 2012
    This new release has just as much content as any other version of the game, if not more. Overall, it stands right alongside Cave Story+ as one of the best, if not the best, version of Cave Story to date.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    Minor complaints aside, it's great to see an enhanced version of Cave Story available on eShop. The stereoscopic 3D adds a little depth, which is nice, and the game controls as wonderfully as ever. But once again, choosing the best version depends on personal preference.