8.6

1. May 31, 2014
    Etrian Odyssey IV Legends if the Titan is a game for the hardcore. And I mean that in a good way. It requires a lot of grinding, but that just makes it all the more satisfying to finally be able to defeat that enemy you never could before. The ability to map out dungeons makes this more a more strategic affair. The classes are well balanced and customisable. It ups the difficulty but adds in a casual mode to make it more accessible. Expand
  2. May 8, 2014
    Atlus ripped us off with this installment. The music sounds like it was recorded under a freaking toliet paper tube...! The game itself is sooo grindy unlike the original classics for the DS. The 3D models are ugly and are reused and reused with a little color change!

If you want a brilliant 3DS RPG I recommend getting Braverly Default (Which is just absolutely perfection) or Metal Gear
    Solid: Snake Eater (They removed half of the cutscenes found in the SONY versions of the game and made it into gameplay. You know, WHY YOU BUY VIDEO GAMES IN THE FIRST GAME, SONY?).

I wanted to like this game, I really did. I even beat it 4 times but it's such a hallow experience.
  3. Apr 26, 2014
    While I can understand how this kind of game may be boring or even tedious, I enjoyed the hell out of this game! The presentation is astounding and the environments you find yourself taking in are dangerous, beautiful, and unique. While the first area suffers from green hill zone syndrome, once you beat the first maze you'll be amazed by the unique colors and orchestrated music of the second area. Going on to the game play, it's more on the traditional side of your modern JRPG but because you have to put so much thought into your party it's not tedious at all. This game is surprisingly easy to jump into because it has an easier difficulty setting, which doesn't detract too much from the overall experience and can always be changed. Try out the demo before you get it, but I believe that this is the best JRPG on the 3DS. Expand
  4. Apr 9, 2014
    I personally found this game boring after logging about 6 hours in the first dungeon and not making any discernible progress on top of my compounding main frustration with the game: The game is one of the least immersive experiences I've had in a long time because of it's weak and effortless narrative, poor character design, and uninspired locales.

I understand why some people like this
    game, and I'm just getting my opinion out there for consumers like me. I probably would have enjoyed this game in the 1990s. Not now. Expand
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    Definitely a fun experience for those who like this kind of game. It reminds me a lot of old dungeons and dragons. You navigate your way through dungeons, stumbling across numerous secrets and threats. You create, customize, and manage your entire party (this is not a story-driven or character-driven game). A lot of strategy involved in equipping your party, classing/sub-classing, and assigning skill points.

The game also provides numerous playstyle options for people to choose between - e.g. draw your own map (for a more classic dungeon crawler experience) or DON'T. You can have the map auto-drawn (it's clear that the negative reviews complaining about map drawing didn't play much of the game). Casual vs. normal difficulty is nice, as well.

Great music, pretty graphics, overall a very polished game. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like old school RPGs this sort of has that feel to it. It's easy to get into and overall a lot of fun.
  6. Feb 2, 2014
    Etryan Odyssey IV is a RPG which features turn-based combat. At the start, you create a squad of 5 members. You have many possibilities because you are free to choose, which classes they should have. You can also create more characters and switch them out as you like. Each level-up you can assign a Skill Point to some skills, similar to Diablo II.
    Except for the small overworld part,
    you'll experience the game exclusively in a first person view. What I personally like about the game is, that you have to draw a map of the dungeons that you explore. This adds quite fun for me, and makes you feel like you are really exploring the place.
    The game features nice graphics but still some dungeons just look the same (same skin for walls etc.)
    I really like the Soundtrack and story so far. What I also like is, that this game is quite hard on the corresponding difficulty setting and doesn't take your hand to guide you every time. You are absolutely free to explore this dangerous looking dungeon or to fight this extremely dangerous looking foe if you want to, but you then have to fear the consequences.
    Momentarily, I'm at a point where I feel that I have to grind a whole lot to be able to continue and this kind of interrupts the fun I'm having with it.
    There is also some StreetPass feature, which I couldn't use yet, because I sadly met no one with this game activated. It seems that one can have quite fun with it, but I can't tell more.

So if you like much freedom, a challenging difficulty, drawing your own maps and grinding, I would totally recommend that game to you.

Since I'm not too fond of having to grind in order to progress with the main story (I like the possibility to grind to take on some optional superbosses like in FF7, though), I give this game still 8 points, because I believe that I will have much fun and an incredibly long playtime out of this game, once I force myself to grind a bit.
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    Etrian Odyssey IV is a wonderful addition to the Etrian Series and the 3DS Library of games. One of the best, if not best, game for the 3DS this year. This game will not appeal to everyone though, unfortunately. The game is ridiculously difficult, and if you manage to stay along with it, you'll be rewarded. The mapping in the game is easy to learn and fun to do, and the labyrinths/caves are amazing. My only complaint is that the city is a menu, although that doesn't affect the gameplay of the game that much. The bosses/Foes are fun and the puzzles are pretty good. The music is definitely one of the better soundtracks you can listen to nowadays, and the art is amazing as well. The many varieties of classes/sprites, map items, and exploration, prove to make this game a definitely worthy buy. You can even roam the world in an airship! If you are reading this now and is/are an rpg fan, buy the game as soon as you can you won't regret it

Gameplay: 10/10
    Story: 9/10
    Music: 10/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 10/10
    Overall: 10/10
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    An absolutely brilliant rpg. Superb battle system, its one of the best turned based ever. Class and leveling system that unfolds as the game progresses. Must own game for Nintendo's 3DS.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    I finally got the chance to pick the game up in Europe. I played through the 3 other games of the series and I must say, this is a definite improvement, while being true to the formula. The game is certainly not for everyone but I think, Atlus has it's way with "Games not for everyone" and that's what's making them so special in comparison to other developers.
    If you know what you're
    getting into by buying this game, you will get exactly everything you want of it a dungeon-crawling experience with battling monsters, leveling up your characters, managing skillsets etc. And EO does that with a great variety, with the everchanging looks of the dungeons. Even more so with the introducing of a full fledged overworld, that you can discover wih your very on airship.
    The tension that is builduing up in you when you visit a new dungeon is great, because you never know what's exactly waiting for you. But almost as great is the feeling, when you got stronger and can finally beat the Monster which teared you apart only 10 levels ago. When it comes to dungeon-crawling expierences today this is the ultimate game.
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    The vibrant DS series classic, Etrian Odyssey, continues on stronger than before in it's 4th installment on the 3DS with beautiful 3D models, an exploitative over world traversed via airship, and plenty of dangerous dungeons, forest and ruins to explore full of treasure.

The difficulty is a bit more forgiving than the prior 3 installments, but the end and post-game content is a true
    test to your party matching and skill stacking abilities. Expand
  11. May 3, 2013
    Etrian Odyssey IV is a classic dungeon crawling RPG for the Nintendo 3DS that bears similarities to Wizardry. Is it a great addition to the RPGs on the 3DS? I would definitely agree that it is.

The plot of the game isn't anything of major interest and contains average writing overall, but with games like these, the story isn't the major focus of the game to begin with.The music in this
    game is absolutely beautiful, and fits well with the mood of each area and events in the game.

The gameplay resembles Wizardry and other classic dungeon crawling RPGs with you exploring areas by airship and on foot, finding treasures, hunting monsters, doing missions, drawing maps and fighting in strategic turn based RPG battles all while advancing the plot, gaining levels, getting better loot, making money and improving equipment and items. The game has two different difficulties, normal for people who want to play the game in its normal difficult format, and casual for people if they find normal too difficult and unforgiving.

The game is packed full of content, plenty of hours worth of play time with the story, side-quest missions, exploring, hunting enemies for supplies and anything else to collect and see everything it has to offer. Once you have completed everything in the game, you can even scan QR codes given out by Altus to get even MORE side-quest missions to play. You can also share guild cards via QR codes with other guilds (and if your level is high enough, you can hire members from other guilds to join yours and help out but they can't gain experience or have their equipment or skills changed). There is even a New Game where you can replay the story again will all of your characters and their equipment remaining in the next playthrough, however, all of the items that aren't equipped to characters (that are in the inventory or storage) are deleted.

Although many people find this game to be rather difficult, I tend to disagree, I had my entire party at level 70 by the time I reached the 3rd floor of the 3rd main dungeon when playing on normal difficulty, but I will admit that the bosses in the post-story can be extremely difficult and unforgiving if you aren't properly prepared. The last two secret bosses in particular can even take down a party of level 99s pretty easily if you don't have a good plan or strategy in place.

Overall, its a great RPG dungeon crawling game, but it can consist of a lot of grinding, strategic planning and fighting difficult battles to complete fully, if you aren't put off by that, then I suggest that you check it out.
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome
    Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome
    Hard, Awesome, Strategic AND amazing Soundtrack
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    Ever since the SNES era, I've been a huge RPG fan. From Japanese masterpieces like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and EarthBound to American franchises like The Elder Scrolls, I'm always enthralled by the epic storylines, memorable characters, and ridiculously immersive gameplay.

There are, however, plenty of pitfalls in the genre. Sometimes, a game with all of the above qualities
    will simply force you to grind way too much (hello, Secret of Mana!). Other times, games turn into a slugfest of item and/or stats management that makes it a lot harder to enjoy their other qualities (much like The World Ends With You).

To be blunt, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan features none of the qualities I mentioned above AND all of the hassles. The game is an endless grind, with no real compelling story and no memorable characters (all of your party are almost-faceless, player-created drones).

Everything you do in the game, you do in the coldest way possible, through a crapload of menus and submenus. You don't get to wander around towns, approach townsfolk, look for secrets in the back alleys... you simply choose what to do from a list, suffer through boring dialogues, and proceed to grind the next dungeon.

As if all of this wasn't enough, the game (apparently, the series) forces you to draw your own map as you go along. Words can't describe how aggravating I found that experience. Of course, it's something that real life adventurers would have to do, but it's also the sort of minutia I really don't want to have to deal with in a game. It makes adventuring seem more like a job than, well, an adventure.

I know there are stat-grinding aficionados out there. For them, this game must be heaven (and the excellent graphics will definitely help). If that's not your case, however, chances are you'll find it a soulless, charmless drag.
  14. Apr 8, 2013
    Actually, I've been very, very impressed with this game.
    First, the core elements are actually very well executed. You get to build a team from a few classes that you think will gel well, and the skill tree gives the opportunity to really play with some combinations in interesting ways. Each class has its own purpose, and a couple different ways of achieving that purpose based on how you
    build them. There are lots of different items and equipment, many of which offer depth instead of just raw upgrades. Enemies are plentiful too, often offer challenge at a good pace (while showing how much your team has grown as inititally big guys get easier and easier to take down), and have enough interesting traits to keep you on your toes even when dealing with common enemies, instead of just mashing through the attack button.
    Some of the more fringe elements of the game are what made it turn out to be a real gem. Being able to build my own map is surprisingly fun, even though it's a feature that probably could have just been forgone. It has a certain old-school charm to it, like making notes and scrawling down home-made maps in days long gone. The fusion of random battles (re-imagined to make them a not-agonizing mechanic) and set battles (which still move on the map during other battles) adds some real feeling of tension and a sense of urgency that I never thought a turn-based RPG could have. The mechanic to distract big monsters is a nice touch and adds a lot of depth to even navigating the game's maps.

There are some small quirks. The anime style isn't particularly offensive, but I always hate to see single, static character portraits for dialogues, especially in a game that puts in as much personality as this. It is not hard to add a couple of extra visuals of major characters, so they can change their expressions. In spite of some very small shortcomings, excellent game! Highly recommend to all fans of RPGs.
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    This game brings an enhanced graphics engine boasting polygonal enemies and new 3D special effects. An exceedingly atmospheric and fully orchestrated musical score. It also features more immersive 3D dungeons.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    Like the ds, all players can deeply thanks atlus for all the good games.

Etrian odyssey 4 is a hardcore donjon-rpg but far better than any wizardry, class of heroes of whatever else.
    The 3ds give finally some good graphics for this serie (3d models are cool, but they didn't do ugly 3d artworks), you have a lot of class to make your team, the musics are great (even if Etrian odyssey 3
    is unmatchable)..

If you have a 3ds and you want a good (and not easy) game, you NEED to buy EO4.
    Because we need more games like this one, more good rpg games, the 3ds don't have enough of them actually.
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    Purchased this game on a hunch based on the good user reviews, and thought i should come back to confirm it was a good hunch. This game starts a little slowly, but the more you put it into it, the more it gives back. It is a very rewarding game experience that makes excellent use of the 3DS hardware. I have binge-played it for a couple of days and just made it to the beginning of the second world area. Character customization is seemingly very deep, already some of the ones i made have a multitude of abilities and ive yet to break past the "novice" tier of character skill development.

The more you learn about how to play, how to take advantage of the mapping features with the touchscreen, and progress the game, the more fun the game has become for me. One doesnt have to play it all in long sessions, either. it is quite possible to spend small jaunts of time quite productively, as well as going all-out to try and bend the gameplay to your will. If you attempt the later i believe you will find the challenge beyond satisfactory. Rushing ahead is punished harshly, but almost miraculously i dont think you will be compelled to do so. This is a fun experience to be savored patiently.
  18. Mar 3, 2013
    Fantastic game. Hard, pretty, strategic. Not a hugely engaging story, but one that keeps things interesting enough. QR Quests keeps things busy. Nice level branching. StreetPass is nifty. Awesome dungeon-crawler JRPG.
  19. Mar 1, 2013
    The game's main draw is the sense of accomplishments you get from exploring a dungeon drawing it out making notes and successfully completing a dungeon filled with challenging and diverse enemies. The battling is fun making you command several different classes with branching special abilities which you can customize to your play style. Liking this game far more than expected too.
  20. Feb 28, 2013
    I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a customizable, immersing experience, but first I would recommend playing the demo (free on eShop). All of your progress from the demo will transfer easily into the full retail version of the game. The uniqueness of this series is from the map drawing, which admittedly I was very wary of in my first Etrian experience (3). I got over it fast. There is a great sense of accomplishment that comes with the map drawing, and it's surprisingly enjoyable and easy to get the hang of. The combat is challenging and evolves throughout the entire game, forcing you to pay attention to your party and skill choices. The game is truly hard, but balances out if you play it skilfully. The music is stunningly composed, and the cutesy-ness of the characters is juxtaposed by the brutality of the game and fate of many soldiers and other adventurer NPCs. The sense of exploration and discovery is palpable. They place enemies that will decimate your party on the map in the first zone and all others, and when one gets sight of your party and chases after you, the tension is thrilling. This ranks in my top three 3DS games. For the time it will keep you hooked, which is at least 60-80 hours, it is a great value. Expand
  21. Feb 27, 2013
    This series has come a long ways from the first entry on the ds. With the added power of the 3ds we now have a better draw distance in the dungeons as well as visible foes. no longer are forced to run into them to see what we are going to fight. visuals look excellent compared to even the previous entry. this game however is not for the faint of heart as its one of the more challenging games out there! Be prepared to spend upwards of 70+ hours to even get close to the end! With the added casual mode its now accessible to New comers as well as veterans of the series! If anything check out the demo to see if this game's for you! Expand
  22. Feb 27, 2013
    This is the fourth in a series that became my favorite on Nintendo's DS, and even though the series is not a graphics powerhouse, the still artwork put into the characters and the backgrounds is beautiful, and one of the most attractive attributes of the series. But the biggest draw of these dungeon crawler-style games is definitely the mechanic of having to draw a map of the labyrinths on a grid on the bottom screen of the DS and now the 3DS. The point of view of the player is first-person, like the dungeon crawlers of old, and the view is now enhanced with the use of 3D on the upper screen. All in all, if you want a deeply involved role-playing game for your 3DS, this is one of the best! Managing the powers, attacks, and weapons of your characters as you slowly level up is incredibly nuanced, and you will start thinking of these avatars as real people by the time you clock in your 25th hour on the game. This is not a game that will charm everyone, though, as you will need a lot of patience and handle frustration well unless you play it on the new "casual" mode (although I can't imagine the game being much fun on that setting!). The developers also implemented a very clever use of the Street Pass and the use of QR codes for this installment that will give a whole new twist to veterans of the series. Highly recommended, but play the demo first (available on eShop) so you know what you are getting into! Incidentally, this is the first time I have encountered a console game demo that will let you save your progress and then use it towards the full version of the game... clever move! Expand
  23. Feb 27, 2013
    Etrian Odyssey games have always made me nervous when playing them. I like a challenge, but sometimes these games can take it a bit too far, especially if you don't have a lot of time to focus on the game. This is in no way a knock on the game, many people like that aspect, I just never had time. Well, Atlus seemed to focus on solving that issue with Etrian Odyssey 4. There is a casual mode that decreases difficulty, allows you to use items over and over again, and instead of giving you a game over the game sends your party back to town. This is just what I needed to get into the series. The game is beautiful, the 3D is done well, and the characters and story really bring the world to life. There is a lot of game here and it's not for the feint of heart. But, if you like a challenge (even casual is tough by the way, just not as tough as before) and want to experience a game akin to Wizardry of old, then this is your ticket. Expand
  24. Feb 26, 2013
    Atlus keeps my 3DS busy. Etrian Odyssey IV brings a modern jRPG twist on first person RPGs akin to Eye of the Beholder, and Wizardry. Fuse those concepts with incredibly charming (and adorable) anime art, and a fantastically fitting soundtrack, and you have one of the best time sinks on the 3DS. The 3D effect on the menus is pleasing to look at.
  25. Mar 1, 2013

1. Oct 15, 2013
    It all comes down to your affinity for JRPGs, but credit falls to Atlus for offering curious newbies that helping hand, a hand that has the strength and power to pull you into the world and become entranced.
  2. Mixes trademark difficulty and accessibility with surprising finesse. Not just a brilliant entry in the series, but a benchmark for other games of its type.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    There is a tonne of game here, too - the main storyline can easily get you 30 hours or more of gameplay, and then there are a multitude of side quests, post-game content, and replayability to stretch that out even further.