Gunman Clive 3DS

8.2

1. Jul 29, 2016
    Very well made game, it can be a bit difficult at times, but with three characters and three difficulties (9 total times you can play through the game) it's worth every cent you spend on it.The Soundtrack is one of the best ones I've heard in a long time and i downloaded it the minute i beat it. I love the artstyle, i'm really not even sure what to call it, it reminds me of a western styleVery well made game, it can be a bit difficult at times, but with three characters and three difficulties (9 total times you can play through the game) it's worth every cent you spend on it.The Soundtrack is one of the best ones I've heard in a long time and i downloaded it the minute i beat it. I love the artstyle, i'm really not even sure what to call it, it reminds me of a western style storybook. Very polished too! All three characters play very differently and doing it on higher difficulties actually feels rewarding. I'm proud to say I 100% completed this game!

The best BANG! for your buck (or two,) you really can't go wrong with this one. An Essential e-shop title for any 3DS owner. if i had one complaint it's that one the easiest difficulty it can be beaten in about a half hour, but for $2 it's not even worth mentioning
  2. May 9, 2016
    "Gunman Clive" es un shooter/plataformas 2D ambientado en las épocas del lejano oeste. El diseño es bastante creativo, el fondo es amarillento y los personajes que interactúan en pantallas están hechos en trazos negros o marrones para asemejar un cartel de se busca.
    El juego no es muy largo pero si es bastante rejugable, el fin del juego es rescatar a tu persona amada secuestrada por el villano, desarrollo que varía si elegiste al vaquero o a la damisela, cada uno cuenta con habilidades particulares similares a la selección de personajes de "Super Mario Bros 2".
    En general es un juego recomendable si no quieres gastar mucho y llevarte algo bueno, con buenos controles, animaciones que se ven bien en 3D y jefes finales interesantes hacen de "Gunman Clive" un gran Indie.
  3. Feb 12, 2016
    I gave a chance to this game because it has really good reviews everywhere. I got to say I am quite disappointed and, for me, this game is the exact definition of average.

It feels and plays like a classic videogame (let’s say a lot like the old megamans). The gameplay is quite simple, you can move in 2 dimensions, jump, crouch and only shoot to the left and right (not up or down). This is fine, as I said reminds me a lot of some classic videogames I played when I was a kid, I say this as a good thing, but that is it (well the soundtrack is also excellent I must say). The game is quite short (20 stages); I played in hard, died a few times (nice that a game is a bit hard for once) but it took me 1h 20m to complete… but I guess that as some people mentioned, considering the game is 2 quid that’s fine. Some people will also argue you still have the duck mode after the normal game, but still, I think it doesn’t make the game better; it is nothing special really…so this mode is basically the same game but you’re playing with a duck. You cannot shoot or anything just fly/jump…makes a simple game even simpler (in concept I mean not difficulty).

Personally, I didn’t like the graphic style. It is nice when art departments in gaming try something different (rather than kind of realistic or toon basic stuff), e.g. I liked limbo or apotheon for example; they have very unique graphics, full of life, amazing. However, in gunman clive, although the whole pencil drawing graphic style is a nice idea, I find the stages are quite empty, simple, repetitive and dead, artistically speaking, it is just not visually enjoyable and the 3d effect is very very basic (this is highly subjective obviously, this is just my personal view). Going back to the gameplay, as a said this is very simple in terms of the movements you can make, and that is fine (a bit like megaman, or ghosts n goblins or battletoads, which are amazing games by the way). The problem is the stages are awfully empty, there is nothing there to challenge you other than a couple of enemies and platforms until you get to stage 13 or so where it starts to get better, but considering there is only 20 …more than half of the game is like really simple (I mean the stage design is really average and not impressive at all). They could have done much more with this game, why not a stage where you ride a horse or a raft on a river or something (well there is a mini section where you ride a wagon…but it’s like 30 seconds, only once in the whole game) Boss fights are also really average, not very inspired design, really simple patterns.

I don’t know, there are much much better platforming games out there, I just think this one is average. It might still be worth buying considering it is only 2 quid, actually for that very reason there is chance that I’ll give a change to the sequel, see if they have improved the thing.
  4. Nov 9, 2015
    Excelente jogo pro 3Ds, agora ele ta mais barato que o preço de lançamento, apesar de ser curto (umas 2 horas de gameplay na primeira vez q você joga), tem um fator de replay muito bom já que depois que você finaliza o jogo o pato é desbloqueado como personagem jogável, enfim, muito bom comprem sem medo!
  5. Sep 26, 2015
    Simplistic and easy to control, it takes the DKC initiative of every level being unique and new, while still relying on the Mega Man style of jumping and shooting. Shame that it's short, but otherwise an awesome experience.
  6. Apr 4, 2015
    The Game is Amazing was not expecting it to be good but It turned out to be really really good it is kind of a mix of mega man which is a good thing the only thing that I did not like about it was the short amount of levels but other then that it was great it is worth $1.99
  7. Apr 3, 2015
    A fantastic short, cheap and visually striking platformer that really is a must buy for any 3ds owner. Gunman Clive is packed full of charm and tight gameplay and offers one of the most interesting graphical styles seen in recent years. A true gem of a bargain that slightly lacks in length.
  8. Feb 9, 2015
    I saw the trailer for this game on the 3DS eshop and decided "what have I got to loose, it's only £1.99. It's one of the most fun little games I have played, yes you will complete it very very quickly but hey, it's two quid well spent. Brilliant game mechanics, wonderful graphic style (good use of 3D) and a perfectly catchy soundtrack make this a great game to jump into especially when youI saw the trailer for this game on the 3DS eshop and decided "what have I got to loose, it's only £1.99. It's one of the most fun little games I have played, yes you will complete it very very quickly but hey, it's two quid well spent. Brilliant game mechanics, wonderful graphic style (good use of 3D) and a perfectly catchy soundtrack make this a great game to jump into especially when you haven't got time to give an hour or so to a more involving game. Stop reading and go buy it, you won't be disappointed..... I'm off now to play Gunman Clive 2 :D Expand
  9. Sep 1, 2014
    A great fun and beautiful download from the eshop. Oh and it’s only £2.

A great fun and beautiful download from the eshop. Oh and it’s only £2.

The gameplay in Gunman Clive is pretty basic. You can run, jump, and shoot. That is all, you can only run at one speed and you can only shoot in one direction (a straight line forward). It’s polished to perfection however with your character feeling very solid to control (if a little slow) and shooting bad guys a very satisfying experience. The platforming is well done and I liked the subtly varied level design. The game is very short (I finished it in around one and a half hours) but that is to be expected from such a cheap asking price.

Where the game really stands out is it’s unique sketchbook visual style which is stunning. One of the most beautiful games on the 3DS. The music ain’t half bad either, and when you consider this whole thing was made by one guy, it’s all rather darn impressive. Highly recommended if you’ve got a couple of quid and fancy an awesome 1.5 to 2 hour game.
  10. Aug 15, 2014
    the theme it represents is fantastic and unique
    the gaming community needed something like it
    the visuals can't look better than this specially with the 3D effects
    the only negative here is: the game's too short
  11. Jan 7, 2014
    With a price tag of $1.99, Gunman Clive is a great game for any 3DS owner. The gameplay is a platforming shooter similar to Mega Man, with various other similarities to other games. While the 3D isn't needed, it helps enhance the game and makes the western pencil style graphics look even better. The music works very well, fitting the each level and the western style of this game.With a price tag of $1.99, Gunman Clive is a great game for any 3DS owner. The gameplay is a platforming shooter similar to Mega Man, with various other similarities to other games. While the 3D isn't needed, it helps enhance the game and makes the western pencil style graphics look even better. The music works very well, fitting the each level and the western style of this game. Level design is very good, and progressively gets harder as you go on. The only major problem is that Gunman Clive is too short, but is excellent in all other aspects. Expand
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    Other than the fact that this game is so short. It is a MUST HAVE for the 3DS.

The fact that it costs like 2 Euro (2 Dollars, not sure exactly, but something like that) on the E-Shop must make it the most price worthy thing Nintendo.

If you are reading this review and do not have the game, there is no reason to keep reading, just GO BUY IT ALREADY!

13. Jul 13, 2013
    Essential game to play on the 3DS, the trailer convinced me to buy it instantly. Great humor and gameplay, for an added challenge complete it on duckmode, it's brilliant. I would have paid more for this game so it is such a bargain for how great it is. I hope the creator makes more games in future.
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    Although this game lacks in length, the content contained is phenomenal, and definitely worth trying, it definitely fits that $1.99 price tag as well. It also shares an uncanny resemblance to Mega Man, and has parts that may be recognized in other games. The 3D is great, the character(s), the levels, they are all great, but sometimes the levels may be slightly tedious. Overall, 8.2/10
  15. May 24, 2013
    A bit on a simple side, but for only 2 bucks (even 1,5 if you got it during a promotion) it is worth giving a shot. Difficulty modes are a bit disappointing, seeing as the only thing that separates normal from hard is the amount of health you start with (the number of enemies etc. stays exactly the same) On a good side art style and music are absolutely excellent, while the stages (with aA bit on a simple side, but for only 2 bucks (even 1,5 if you got it during a promotion) it is worth giving a shot. Difficulty modes are a bit disappointing, seeing as the only thing that separates normal from hard is the amount of health you start with (the number of enemies etc. stays exactly the same) On a good side art style and music are absolutely excellent, while the stages (with a few hilarious plot twists here and there) are varied enough to keep your interest. A purchase worth considering. Expand
  16. May 21, 2013
    What do you get when you mix Mega Man with Sunset Raiders? If you answered "a retro gamer's paradise", well, you're right. But more specifically, we get Gunman Clive, a charming platformer with rather unique graphics.

Playing as Clive or Ms. Johnson, you'll make your way through western-themed stages, shooting opposing gunmen and wild animals, hopping on moving platforms, and defeating quite impressive bosses (boss #2 is particularly funny the first time you come across it). It's a sweet experience that will likely get you glued to your 3DS from start to finish.

The main problem is that it will undoubtedly leave you wanting more. Stages are almost always too short, and generally too easy (although the difficulty kinda picks up later on). Yes, with its 20 stages, it's about as short as some of the old games it pays tribute to. But those games had the benefit of the Game Over screen, which has all but vanished these days. Gunman Clive would undoubtedly benefit from a limited amount of lives, since it would require a lot more practice to beat the game. And we all know finishing a game for the first time is way more enticing than replaying it with a new character.

Another unfortunate characteristic is that, while the scribbled-on-a-piece-of-paper graphics are very charming, sometimes the background color could use some change. For example: in the mine stages, maybe it could turn into a darkest shade of its light brown. While riding the train under the desert's searing sun, it could get even lighter. This would help cement a sense of immersion, which is already slightly dampened by the short lenght of the stages.

Still, Gunman Clive is and is absurdly fun while it lasts. Its price is also unbelievably low; I bought it for the equivalent of $1.50 on the e-Shop. It's one neat little package that you wouldn't want to miss out on, even if you'll end up hoping that the developers come up with a sequel to expand on its great potential in the near future.
  17. Mar 18, 2013
    This game is extremely well made, and so charming. It's a Western-themed side-scrolling platformer with some run and gun action in the mix. The visuals are phenomenal, and while the 3D doesn't add much, everything looks awesome. The one thing that stands above everything else is the music. The music is just so darn good. It's a mix between Zelda, the Old West, and a little bit of DonkeyThis game is extremely well made, and so charming. It's a Western-themed side-scrolling platformer with some run and gun action in the mix. The visuals are phenomenal, and while the 3D doesn't add much, everything looks awesome. The one thing that stands above everything else is the music. The music is just so darn good. It's a mix between Zelda, the Old West, and a little bit of Donkey Kong 64 in there. I would definitely buy the soundtrack. I also really liked the difficulty of the game. I played it on normal, and it was challenging enough that I died numerous times, but I beat the levels eventually. I can only imagine how Hard is. The closing levels are also great. I loved the sort-of-twist at the end. I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    This was my first eShop game, and it's just perfect. The music, the difficult, the visuals.. i loved every bit of it. It makes you wonder why so many games on eShop are so expensive, and can't give you as much fun as this.
  19. Feb 26, 2013
    This is an excellent game, basically a love letter to Sunsoft's Batman on the old-school Gameboy, it's just about a perfect game...really cheap too...the soundtrack deserves special mention.

The best platform game on the 3DS store and at a fraction of the cost of most.
  20. Jan 9, 2013
    Gunman clive is western themed platformer that incorporates elements from games like mega man and other platformers that make it a solid experience with tight controls, fun levels and a cool style. It is a good short experience that reminds you about the basic aspect that makes game fun, gameplay.

1. Jul 23, 2013
    A stunning masterpiece of a platform game, with so many different styles that are well loved from over the years, all tightly pieced together and expertly delivered by a developer with a clear strong talent in this genre.
  2. Games Master UK
    Mar 24, 2013
    A small but perfectly formed gem. [Apr 2013, p.83]
  3. The game is undeniably lovingly made, but it's also disappointing brief. It's - yep - the fastest fun in the west.